Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I hope Joy is enjoying her honeymoon. She's spent most of her life on camera, whether she wanted to or not, "working" to prove to America that her parents and their way of life is the bestest and most Godly way to live. I think she deserves a long vacation away from the rest of the Duggars. Since it looks like they're going to live fairly close to the compound, this will probably be the only time she and Austin have to be on their own without spies reporting their every move to JB her siblings visiting every chance they get.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

If so, that means he's renting, which is a no-no in the cult. And there's no doubt that the Forsyths are deep into the Gothard kook-aid. 

I thought it was debt that was bad. So, if you can't buy a house outright, you rent. JB and M have rented, Josh and Anna rented in DC. I don't think renting is an issue. A mortgage would be an issue. 

(Also, given that much of the non-TLC income comes from rental properties, I'd think that would be hypocrisy too far for even the Duggars.)

• Love 4
Just now, mimionthebeach said:

I thought it was debt that was bad. So, if you can't buy a house outright, you rent. JB and M have rented, Josh and Anna rented in DC. I don't think renting is an issue. A mortgage would be an issue. 

(Also, given that much of the non-TLC income comes from rental properties, I'd think that would be hypocrisy too far for even the Duggars.)

Renting is fine, it's mortgages they have problems with. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, if the Duggar boys don't have that house ready soon, Austin may have to pay rent somewhere, and we know that makes Gothard and Baby Jesus cry. 

Jessa and Ben are moving to a bigger place, so Austin and Joy may move in to their house.  Grandma Mary owns that house.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jessa and Ben are moving to a bigger place, so Austin and Joy may move in to their house.  Grandma Mary owns that house.

Jessa and Ben better get cracking then, since they haven't moved yet. Joy and Austin's honeymoon isn't indefinite. And yes, it will be rent-free, just like any new place Benessa will move to. Jill will continue to stay at he Pool House when they spend their 6 months a year at home. They can't afford a place in AR unless they dip into the DONATION jar. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
Spellcheck strikes again
  • Love 1

If the Seewalds move in to an house owned by one of their family members.....that's it for me. I will have lost any ounce of respect I had for them. Time to grow up, Bin and Jessa Blessa..Get your own home and start taking care of yourselves like grown ups do. JMHO

• Love 5
On 6/24/2017 at 6:29 PM, Mollie said:

You're right.  They probably just manufactured drugs there.  It looks like a former meth lab to me.

That house is so remote that it isn't even on a sewer system.  It has a septic tank.

There are plenty of communities here, in suburban Detroit, that have septic tanks. It costs a ton of money to switch to city sewer. Septic tank doesn't equal hillbilly. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Anonymousie said:

There are plenty of communities here, in suburban Detroit, that have septic tanks. It costs a ton of money to switch to city sewer. Septic tank doesn't equal hillbilly. 

Septic tanks are less desirable and affect the value and marketability of a property.  Some of the disadvantages are:

1. In some cases, septic tanks may lead to contamination in water which may be used for human use and consumption

2. Foul odors caused by poor maintenance or clogged septic systems

3. A poorly maintained septic system can be a breeding ground for flies, roaches and other insects that can transmit infectious diseases that can put in danger you and your family’s health

4. Soil contamination is also another problem that can manifest when poor maintenance is given to the septic system

5. There is a risk in rainy seasons that the septic system overflows bringing sewage to the surface

6. Clogged drains by oil, grease, fats, and other materials that may be thrown into toilets, sinks, and showers causing obstruction

7. Requires more responsibility and regular maintenance

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Septic tanks are less desirable and affect the value and marketability of a property.  Some of the disadvantages are:

1. In some cases, septic tanks may lead to contamination in water which may be used for human use and consumption

3. A poorly maintained septic system can be a breeding ground for flies, roaches and other insects that can transmit infectious diseases that can put in danger you and your family’s health

4. Soil contamination is also another problem that can manifest when poor maintenance is given to the septic system

5. There is a risk in rainy seasons that the septic system overflows bringing sewage to the surface

6. Clogged drains by oil, grease, fats, and other materials that may be thrown into toilets, sinks, and showers causing obstruction

I'm aware of the potential issues. The point remains that having a septic tank doesn't make someone trash.

Incidentally, my grandmother lived in her home with a septic tank for 45 years and never had any of those problems. 

• Love 22

Maintaining a septic system is of course the key. They have been around more than 1700 years! 

Let's hope they had a professional inspect it, gathered info on any service to it, etc.

• Love 4

My parents have a really nice home in a little community that isn't the sticks, but about five miles outside city limits, and their whole subdivision has septic tanks. City sewer just isn't available everywhere, but septic tanks don't mean raggedy shacks or poverty.

Who is footing the bill for this month long honeymoon? And why do people who really don't have jobs that tie them down with schedules need a whole month off?

• Love 6
22 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Nah, they like camping and the outdoors. Pitch a tent in the least Juggalo/bedbug infested room and be dibs with it. Tell Joy she likes it, and she will.

Snicker. Pretty sure he's pitching a tent on the honeymoon. 

Maybe they are moving into the spider pool house. It doesn't seem like Jessa or Jill were interested. Is spider pool house the one the Duggs have been working on that looked like it had a large parking lot and could possibly be a church? 

5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

They're still on their honeymoon

https://www.instagram.com/austinandjoyforsyth/

Whoa, Austin poses like JB. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

Yeah. And Molly Ivins. 

Oh, I miss that great Texan. Since I'm in Texas, let's add Ann Richards into this list of women who would have torn the Duggars apart. 

• Love 20

A bathroom would go for that around here. And because my husband has a good union job that would be rare most anywhere else, we're boxed into an apartment we moved into in 1996. There was a small window when we looked at condos, but once you got into all of the fees and bullshit, they were out of reach (we need two bedrooms for an office). Thank goodness for rent control. Our rent can only be raised 3%/yr. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, I miss that great Texan. Since I'm in Texas, let's add Ann Richards into this list of women who would have torn the Duggars apart. 

We're doing it on their behalf. 

7 hours ago, louannems said:

A dump of a house in the Seattle area is $200,00-$300k.

Location location location. 

As I mentioned, I just sold a house, in a not-so-desirable area but still by all accounts considerably more desirable than northwest Arkansas, and I know that places somewhat better than that Austin house appears to be were going for $35 - $40,000. Plus, whether he lives in it or flips it, he's going to have to do major reno, inside and out apparently, and that's never cheap. Even when you do it all yourself, you can't just go pick up materials free by the roadside. ....

If they do actually want to live in the house, then I guess the price wasn't that big a deal. But if he wants to flip it, I have a hard time imagining that he could get a price that would really pay him for the renovation. Unless there's something really great about the location that we don't know -- and obviously there could be -- $69,000 strikes me as near the top of the line for even a renovated house of that size and nature, based on my recent experience. But obviously if you're flipping it, you want to get the full price of your materials back plus more -- because otherwise you're not only making no profit (and I thought that was the point of flipping) but you're essentially giving away your labor as well). I just think he'd have to do a hell of a reno and get great great prices on his material to actually make that house worth a flip, given what he paid for it. But maybe I'm missing something. Or else Arkansas is a much better location than the Ohio location I was in. ..... But I do doubt that. 

• Love 2

American houses ARE weird:-)) Just a bit of wood......you couldn't just demolish our houses here. Plus, you need to get qualified people in over certain work. I'd not buy a house done up by an amateur.

Travelling to Israel, no less. I'd say this will be their happiest, most carefree time ever - once they get back, reality will set in and the babies will come soon. Sigh.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Mollie said:

Austin's house is in a rural area, few rural areas have reticulated sewerage. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, louannems said:

A dump of a house in the Seattle area is $200,00-$300k.

Can one even find a house in that price range there anymore?  We've been told our house, if it was in Seattle, would be $1 million.  That is insane!  If we were to sell it where we live, it would not even fetch $180k.  It IS all about location, very true.

I guess house flipping can be profitable, but it's kind of a gamble.  

Why is Joy not dressed for the job?  As someone mentioned upthread, those shoes + sharp nails all around=ER visit.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Why is Joy not dressed for the job?  As someone mentioned upthread, those shoes + sharp nails all around=ER visit.

Not to mention, hair not confined and no safety glasses, and probably the usual improper footwear.

• Love 3
On 2017-06-27 at 2:18 AM, Nysha said:

I hope Joy is enjoying her honeymoon. She's spent most of her life on camera, whether she wanted to or not, "working" to prove to America that her parents and their way of life is the bestest and most Godly way to live. I think she deserves a long vacation away from the rest of the Duggars. Since it looks like they're going to live fairly close to the compound, this will probably be the only time she and Austin have to be on their own without spies reporting their every move to JB her siblings visiting every chance they get.

"Are you pregnant yet?" *hands over one of Michelle's pee sticks*

"No"

"No"

"No"

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not to mention, hair not confined and no safety glasses, and probably the usual improper footwear.

If she worked on a union site, no way. I suspect that the Duggars hate unions, so that won't be a problem.

Edited by ariel
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

True. I do remember Joy wearing safety glasses at some point (in this week's episode, IIRC), walking around, and Austin's father working on something and gesturing towards her so she would hand her the glasses, saying she had the ''only pair''. Wow :|  I mean, that's pretty basic protection equipment to have for EVERYBODY on a construction site... but I guess it's all good because Jesus, right?!

• Love 8
On 6/26/2017 at 1:03 PM, Mollie said:

You can buy a remote acre of land for $500 in Arkansas.  Austin paid $69,250 for that dump.  The house has an asphalt roof and Masonite siding.  It was poorly constructed to begin with and now the house is 54 years old.  

That would be considered a teardown at triple the cost where I live and without all that acreage. I don't see the appeal of buying such a shack to fix up. I hope it gets torn down and a nice huge house built on that property.

1 hour ago, Genevrier said:

Apparently Austin thinks Joy wearing a skirt for Jesus is more important than her physical safety. They should call this show 'Assholes for Jesus.'

Not to defend Austin but Joy is still under the Boob's headship in the episode we saw..  Maybe once they are back from their honeymoon Joy will be able to wear jeans. I'm guessing she still won't wear appropriate foot wear, that seems to be beyond all the Duggars.

• Love 6

The amount of personal data available in the US frightens me. Here, you couldn't just look up info on what houses you own, etc.....

The house that Austin bought is horrible though. Why buy it? You could only tear it down and build something nice.

6 hours ago, MunichNark said:

The amount of personal data available in the US frightens me. Here, you couldn't just look up info on what houses you own, etc.....

The house that Austin bought is horrible though. Why buy it? You could only tear it down and build something nice.

Well, proof that each one of the Duggars and Duggar adjacents is an idiot always emerges at some point. Perhaps Austin just wanted to present us with his proof early in the game. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Austin has flipped 5 houses and they're on a month long honeymoon. I'm doubting TLC or anyone else is footing the bill for the entire honeymoon. I'm guessing he has some idea of the local real estate and renovation costs.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 2

I also noticed he sold his house FSBO. I didn't know you could still do that after the housing crash. I never see it around here, but this ain't backwater AR. You can't buy a closet for $69k here. 

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Austin has flipped 5 houses and they're on a month long honeymoon. I'm doubting TLC or anyone else is footing the bill for the entire honeymoon. I'm guessing he has some idea of the local real estate and renovation costs.

It's likely that TLC paid for the Switzerland part, but perhaps not the middle east part.  

I guess we'll find out when they air the honeymoon episode. There's still about two weeks in between Switzerland and Isreal. Where in the world were they? Austria, retracing the steps of the von Trapps? Germany? Who knows, really. I don't think there is two weeks worth of site-seeing in such a small country as Israel, and it's not as if they would head over the border to Palestine. Nope. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess we'll find out when they air the honeymoon episode. There's still about two weeks in between Switzerland and Isreal. Where in the world were they? Austria, retracing the steps of the von Trapps?

Retracing the Von Trapps?  No way.  They were evil Catholics & they were a big family that could actually sing. ;)

• Love 3
(edited)

Von Trapp grandchildren (I think Kurt's) have been making the fundie singing circuit over the past few years. It sounds like while the original Von Trapps were Catholic, once they immigrated, some of them left the Church along the way. 

I do wonder if The Sound of Music is permitted fundie viewing, because YAY! wholesome singing families, but BOO! ebil Maria the former nun. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I do wonder if The Sound of Music is permitted fundie viewing, because YAY! wholesome singing families, but BOO! ebil Maria the former nun. 

I don't know.  There was that saucy Baroness Elsa trying to seduce Caption von Trump.  And there was dancing.  Waltzs can be the beat of the devil.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well, on the Andy Griffith Show, Andy dated a woman without asking her father to court first. Then there was the town drunk...

If the Duggars can overlook that, they can overlook that hussy, the baroness (who had the best wardrobe ever). I think good triumphing over evil makes TSoM Duggar-approved material. And since I wrote the last post, I remember the Duggarspawn meeting Kurt's grandkids, so they are aware that the songs exist. Yes, the kids dress up in drindls and liederhosen. The kids have branched out into semi-regular costumes now, but when the Duggars met them, they looked like this.

254_MainImage.png

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

tumblr_os7xi1Ss6E1uipssao1_540.gif

That is incredibly wierd, given she could barely touch her fiancé, his son. Yet she can jiggle her FIL's belly.  Like it's no biggie. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, awaken said:

That is incredibly wierd, given she could barely touch her fiancé, his son. Yet she can jiggle her FIL's belly.  Like it's no biggie. 

It looks like she's trying to get away from him.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, awaken said:

I find that clip stranger and stranger every time I see it. I never would have dared touch my FIL like that. But yeah that brush at the end reads as "Get out of my way."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Von Trapp grandchildren (I think Kurt's) have been making the fundie singing circuit over the past few years. It sounds like while the original Von Trapps were Catholic, once they immigrated, some of them left the Church along the way. 

Kurt is a fictional character. The movie children oldest to youngest were Liesl, Friedrich, Louisa, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretl.  The real life Von Trapp children oldest to youngest were Rupert, Agatha, Werner, Maria, Hedwig, Johanna, Martina. Then Maria and the captain had three kids of their own Rosemary, Lorelei, and Johannes.

I read at least two of Maria's books she wrote with another writer and they were sort of fundy Catholic. That some of the huge family became even more fundamentalist non Catholic is not surprising. 

• Love 2