Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Lunera said:

I think Dim Bob gets off on watching his daughters' first kiss. Let's hope Joy and Austin didn't have a first kiss disaster in front of 1000 people.

picasion.com_57aa5b343dfbfcdd7b41370d3eefa2dc.gif

That is amazing!  I love how the dads slowly back away. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

They look like they're 12. Oh, and Joy, stop saying you are marrying your 'best friend'. We all know that you were never allowed to spend any time with a boy, let alone develop a friendship with one. I wonder which baby Josh will be using as a human shield during these nuptials.

She married Sierra?

She used to be best friends with Josiah (check most of the seasons of 19 kids and counting).  Then they got older and she was their sisters and he with their brothers. Now he's not even a groomsman. 

Also Gothard children didn't need best friends or even individual friends. I don't remember all the rules, but my memory was that families could be friends and people could friends of the family, but no individual friends. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

They look like they're 12. Oh, and Joy, stop saying you are marrying your 'best friend'. We all know that you were never allowed to spend any time with a boy, let alone develop a friendship with one. I wonder which baby Josh will be using as a human shield during these nuptials.

I can hardly wait for the time, soon to come, when Josh has been so thoroughly vindicated by these lawsuits he's involved in that he doesn't have to hold his 10th kid up in front of his face at Jenni's wedding. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

She married Sierra?

She used to be best friends with Josiah (check most of the seasons of 19 kids and counting).  Then they got older and she was their sisters and he with their brothers. Now he's not even a groomsman. 

Also Gothard children didn't need best friends or even individual friends. I don't remember all the rules, but my memory was that families could be friends and people could friends of the family, but no individual friends. 

I guess under that reasoning, the person you marry is, by default, your "best friend" ; the only other person outside your family you have any alone time with. Maybe some of these marriages will, indeed, bloom into friendship and love over time. Maybe even the sort of friendship where you confide in each other things that you were never allowed to voice within the family. One can only hope. On the other hand, some of them might just as easily come to despise one another, yet still be "best friends" because each is all the other has.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I can hardly wait for the time, soon to come, when Josh has been so thoroughly vindicated by these lawsuits he's involved in that he doesn't have to hold his 10th kid up in front of his face at Jenni's wedding. 

So, back to the lens flare that's brighter than the sun?

• Love 2

Does anyone know the ratings for the wedding episode? I was thinking they might be crappy because of the NBA finals but then I remembered fundies don't watch sports.

• Love 1

first, the part about her asking him whether to wear the veil or not bothered me.  like girl - its your wedding too! and then, watching her holding his hand and raising up for a fist pump a few times....well maybe she has more spirit in her than we all thought. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sheshark said:

I didn't hear much about the 'first kiss' being the forbidden-before-marriage kiss this wedding around.  Thank You Baby Jesus.

There was barely time! The whole courtship seemed to whizz by at a "blink-and-you-missed-it" rate. 

Austin did seem to rather get into that kiss a bit...

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

There was barely time! The whole courtship seemed to whizz by at a "blink-and-you-missed-it" rate. 

Lackluster ratings aren't going to create themselves....

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Does anyone know the ratings for the wedding episode? I was thinking they might be crappy because of the NBA finals but then I remembered fundies don't watch sports.

@Absolom posted them on the show thread, p4. It was approximately 1.6M. I know *I* watched the game, but TLC doesn't have the east coast feed anymore, so it wasn't a conflict for me. However, I watched post-game shenanigans until midnight. No Duggars for me until this morning (I am off for the summer, yay!).

Okay, I tuned in to see Joy getting hitched and got eyeballs full of Derek barfing up his guts and the sounds of him heaving up gobs of yuck. He looks like death, warmed over.

Restarted the DVR recording and saw the wedding.

Austin is determined to turn his head Hollywood style when he smooches his wife.

Too much Googling on how to kiss.

• Love 1

I haven't watched the wedding yet, but watching that bit of video clip showing her first kiss, it seemed Joy may have giggled through it.  I can easily see her giggling through the first kiss, because just last season, she said she had no interest in boys or a wedding.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Too much Googling on how to kiss.

Oh, ha ha ha!  I can just picture him frantically googling this and other things in the weeks leading up to the Big Day!

• Love 1

She probably saw in Jana her future of being the old maid caregiver to the family if she didn't hitch her wagon onto Austin and escape from JimBlob /Chelle's  increasingly desperation to keep the cameras interested in their brood.

She had no feminine wiles, didn't care about what she wore, didn't moon over boys but when Austin stepped up and said he liked her as she was...that was enough for her.

Anything is better than what she grew up thinking was normal...no, we don't lock family members in their rooms at night.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, louannems said:

I haven't watched the wedding yet, but watching that bit of video clip showing her first kiss, it seemed Joy may have giggled through it.  I can easily see her giggling through the first kiss, because just last season, she said she had no interest in boys or a wedding.

But...but...but....she's known [of] Austin for 15 years!!!!111

• Love 2
2 hours ago, louannems said:

but watching that bit of video clip showing her first kiss, it seemed Joy may have giggled through it.  I can easily see her giggling through the first kiss, because just last season, she said she had no interest in boys or a wedding.

When I'm overwhelmed I have basically two reactions - I laugh or I cry.

The first kiss I had with this guy I was really in to caught me off guard (I wasn't expecting out and he just went for it) and afterwards I had to try and explain I wasn't laughing at him and that I was just happy without sounding like a total girl.

I wouldn't have picked Austin, but maybe Joy isn't as bad off as we thought.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've seen an overhead, but I think it was from an IG account, of the cupcake table. It was shaped in the sign of the Cross. Cupcakes for Jesus! Yay!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

I think the families marrying into the Duggar clan are slowly getting a clue that they couldn't successfully organize a lemonade stand, much less a large wedding.  

We know Jeremy's family took some control, so maybe there's more input from the non-Duggars to help keep the embarrassment level down.   

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, louannems said:

But why did they need that huge table of cupcakes when there was that 50 layer wedding cake and not THAT many guests?

Because they were all so busy with the wedding that wedding-leftover  cupcakes would be the only thing available to eat at the TTH for the next four days at least? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Austin doesn't give me a beta vibe. I know he was raised fundy, but a few of his groomsmen mentioned he was a focused, ambitious, and loyal guy. He wanted a family. I wonder if the Dugg guys 'pursued' Austin. So Austin is helping them on a project and the guys sort of sell the idea that they have a sister and Austin is ready, he likes Joy so he goes for it. I think Joy is a dimwit and has become really clingy, but I think she has struck gold in the fundy husband sweepstakes. As long as he keeps his business separate from the Duggs, or at least most of his business, and he keeps his father-in-law out of his life. I also don't get any real sense that he cares if he is on the show or not. Seems comfortable and genuine when he speaks on camera and that's very different from the other ones that married into the family. Could be completely wrong, just watched a fw minutes of the wedding. 

He has to coax Joy to stop the baby voice. Mechelle is at peak annoying, but Joy is starting much earlier. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Austin took an 1800's approach to marriage. I imagine he saw Joy, noticed she had a sturdy frame, a full set of teeth and wasn't likely to die in childbirth, and decided she was "the one." 

I'm praying he doesn't get sucked into the Duggar world of grifting and faux ministry, but I'm not holding out much hope. Every son-in-law thus far has been a disappointment.

Yeah, we are seeing what they want us to see for sure.  I did notice Austin is horrible at the 'reality' staged bits. When JB walked into the house and Austin was standing there to ask for Joys hand in marriage, he couldn't pull it off. It was horrible acting on both their parts, but when the camera just zooms up to him at the wedding and asks him an unrehearsed question, he seems more real. Somehow a guy like Derp, Bin or Babe, still make those moments seems plastic. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Austin doesn't give me a beta vibe. I know he was raised fundy, but a few of his groomsmen mentioned he was a focused, ambitious, and loyal guy. He wanted a family. I wonder if the Dugg guys 'pursued' Austin. So Austin is helping them on a project and the guys sort of sell the idea that they have a sister and Austin is ready, he likes Joy so he goes for it. I think Joy is a dimwit and has become really clingy, but I think she has struck gold in the fundy husband sweepstakes. As long as he keeps his business separate from the Duggs, or at least most of his business, and he keeps his father-in-law out of his life. I also don't get any real sense that he cares if he is on the show or not. Seems comfortable and genuine when he speaks on camera and that's very different from the other ones that married into the family. Could be completely wrong, just watched a fw minutes of the wedding. 

He has to coax Joy to stop the baby voice. Mechelle is at peak annoying, but Joy is starting much earlier. 

I am not sure about that.  Maybe its his parents or maybe its a family want but they already were on one reality show and now their son married into a family on a reality show.  

25 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Austin took an 1800's approach to marriage. I imagine he saw Joy, noticed she had a sturdy frame, a full set of teeth and wasn't likely to die in childbirth, and decided she was "the one.

I'm praying he doesn't get sucked into the Duggar world of grifting and faux ministry, but I'm not holding out much hope. Every son-in-law thus far has been a disappointment.

This made me chuckle.  It sounds like he was buying a steer or horse.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I am not sure about that.  Maybe its his parents or maybe its a family want but they already were on one reality show and now their son married into a family on a reality show.  

This made me chuckle.  It sounds like he was buying a steer or horse.

Completely forgot about that. I'm still holding out for a hero, guess it will have to be Jana's groom. :)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Completely forgot about that. I'm still holding out for a hero, guess it will have to be Jana's groom. :)

It is too bad that these girls can't find anyone who doesn't know who they are.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

And they already had their business homepage ready to switch out for one featuring Joyless the instant the relationship became public knowledge. So are they using her? Is it a business relationship for the family? Hell, yeah. No other way to explain the webpage switch, if you ask me. .... Does this mean that Austin is fully or partly implicated in that using? Not necessarily. And I hope he's not. 

I think the Duggars are mainly proof of the idea that it's very hard not to get sucked into a black hole. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

No other way to explain the webpage switch, if you ask me. .... Does this mean that Austin is fully or partly implicated in that using? Not necessarily. And I hope he's not. 

I don't think Austin's using her.  He had tears in his eyes when Joy was coming down the aisle.  I think he really cares for her.  Maybe later the bloom will be off the rose (like when she puts her dirty feet in the clean bed), but for now, I think he's smitten.

• Love 10

I only watched part of this show On Demand before my headship showed up and I switched the channel, but I was surprised at how much spunk Joy expressed.  She seemed very happy and spirited--I think she liked the spotlight!  And compared to her usual monotone responses she was actually interesting the day of the wedding.  Didn't get to the reception yet...hopefully my headship will find something to do elsewhere for a couple of hours...

• Love 1

Ok...so my family captions all our silly photos.  Feeling silly tonight, so I took a stab at the groomsmen shot...

from L to R:

Hans and Frans

The Thinker

Hitchhiker (A.K.A. Hitting the Highway to Heaven)

That was a biiiiig bird!

Obligatory small boy who obviously does not want to be there.  (A.K.A. Little Fists of Fury)

Uncle Louis (without his stogie)

Duggar adjacent 

Duggar adjacent adjacent 

Token Duggar

The Jersey Boys

Ed Grimley

Mr. Mom

IMG_6784.PNG

• Love 18
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Austin took an 1800's approach to marriage. I imagine he saw Joy, noticed she had a sturdy frame, a full set of teeth and wasn't likely to die in childbirth, and decided she was "the one." 

And what if either is infertile?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And what if either is infertile?

I, obviously, have no idea if either is infertile, but I kind of think that at least one of the marriages will not produce any children.

I think that there is a strong possibility that Jill will have no more than two -- I think her second baby is likely to be big, too, and she is unlikely to agree to a c-section -- or really, to do anything sensible or doctor ordered -- and she may simply not be able to have more than two. I also think that Jill and Derick don't particularly like being parents, and I also think that they have significant marital problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa didn't turn out to be the baby machine of her generation, but I don't think she'll have a lot of kids -- maybe 5-6.

I think that Joe and Kendra, and any of the boys who are lucky enough to find mates, will have the exact number of children that their wife wants. 

I also think it's very likely that any number of the younger children are gay. The law of averages says that 2-4 will be gay, and then fraternal birth order has been shown to be a strong predictor of homosexuality in men (having older brothers increases the likelihood of younger male siblings being gay). I doubt that they will come out publicly, but I also doubt that they'll marry. There will be no show and no $$$ incentive, and nothing to prove because their audience will have moved on, so there will be no scandal or attention paid to their lack of children.

• Love 8

Joy doesn't seem to be baby crazy pregnancy crazy like Jessa & Jill. With any luck, Austin has some common sense and they wait awhile and get to know each other before having kids.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I, obviously, have no idea if either is infertile, but I kind of think that at least one of the marriages will not produce any children.

I think that there is a strong possibility that Jill will have no more than two -- I think her second baby is likely to be big, too, and she is unlikely to agree to a c-section -- or really, to do anything sensible or doctor ordered -- and she may simply not be able to have more than two. I also think that Jill and Derick don't particularly like being parents, and I also think that they have significant marital problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa didn't turn out to be the baby machine of her generation, but I don't think she'll have a lot of kids -- maybe 5-6.

I think that Joe and Kendra, and any of the boys who are lucky enough to find mates, will have the exact number of children that their wife wants. 

I also think it's very likely that any number of the younger children are gay. The law of averages says that 2-4 will be gay, and then fraternal birth order has been shown to be a strong predictor of homosexuality in men (having older brothers increases the likelihood of younger male siblings being gay). I doubt that they will come out publicly, but I also doubt that they'll marry. There will be no show and no $$$ incentive, and nothing to prove because their audience will have moved on, so there will be no scandal or attention paid to their lack of children.

I think any woman willing to marry a Duggar boy must a)come from a similiar background b) be willing to at least give lip service to having as many kids as God will send us.  If leaving it up to God is an ingrained belief,  it's hard to give-up. I've seen this partly because I'm Catholic and also because on Recovering Grace (a website for ex Gothardites) they talked about how hard it is to go against how they were raised on this issue. 

Most of this is very practical (and it sounds good to me), but not very Duggar. 

20 hours ago, Nysha said:

Joy doesn't seem to be baby crazy pregnancy crazy like Jessa & Jill. With any luck, Austin has some common sense and they wait awhile and get to know each other before having kids.

Joy was talking young motherhood around her wedding day. When my religious friends talk about having kids soon at their weddings, they usually have a baby around the first anniversary. 

It seems hopeful Austin's parents have two kids. They seem very fundie, I'm surprised they had a smaller family.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

A honeymoon full of long, tiring mountain hikes that will leave everyone too sore for any evening activities. I think these two will probably have Ricky and Lucy style twin beds in their bedroom. 

• Love 3

Sadly, I don't think there will be twin beds, and I think this one will assert his Headship (no pun intended) and give lots of submissive wife lectures anytime Joy doesn't jump at whatever he suggests. She'll be defying him if she assets any sort of opinion or thought. This Austin red flag triggers the domineering obey me or else type more than any other husband they've shown. Not joking.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

This Austin red flag triggers the domineering obey me or else type more than any other husband they've shown. Not joking.

I see that too.  She just seems so uninformed for some one her age.  The bartered bride.

• Love 8