Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

They are in Switzerland for their honeymoon.

So Joy-Anna goes to Switzerland, Jinger to Australia, and Jessa to Europe.  Jill went to North Carolina, right? Hmm. Wonder why she got short-changed in the honeymoon lottery?

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

So Joy-Anna goes to Switzerland, Jinger to Australia, and Jessa to Europe.  Jill went to North Carolina, right? Hmm. Wonder why she got short-changed in the honeymoon lottery?

She was still living the old way and off Daddy's dime. Jessa spent less on her wedding to have more money for her honeymoon. It certainly appears Joy didn't splurge on her wedding. And off course if TLC is filming so some things will be comped, as I'm sure it was for Jessa.

Not sure how Jinger pulled it off though.

• Love 1

Since the Duggars are fundy royalty, I always wondered why Jim Blob didn't sell the girls to some better prospects. There are fundy lawyers, doctors, businessmen, etc. He must know TLC won't be around forever so why marry his prized girls to such losers.

• Love 6
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Since the Duggars are fundy royalty, I always wondered why Jim Blob didn't sell the girls to some better prospects. There are fundy lawyers, doctors, businessmen, etc. He must know TLC won't be around forever so why marry his prized girls to such losers.

JimBob is an egomaniac who wants SIL's he can control. A doctor or lawyer making good income won't tap dance to Boob's tune. An infatuated teenage boy with no money and little work experience will.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 23
11 minutes ago, Lunera said:

As Janet Jackson famously sang:

You can't tell a lawyer, doctor, or businessman what to do. 2 "preachers", a half assed missionary, and a burgeoning house flipper in an over saturated area for that type of business? All of the Duggar girls could've married just as well, if not better than the Bates brides, but didn't due to Jim Bob and Jim Bob alone. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Oreo balls?  WTF.  New one on me.

they're actually really good.... and if you want to be fancy and make them sound better you could call them oreo truffles lol 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Totally thought they were in Colorado...but maybe they went to Switzerland after Colorado?

So did I! I have family that lives in there and you can see Pike's Peak from their house. It's a very pretty view.

With the exception of Jerick, all of the couples went to a semi-local destination before the big trip. But not Pike's Peak. 

This honeymoon, and Joy's comments about it, make it clear that this was planned by Austin. Joy nay be a Country girl, but that survival camp episode illustrated that she was just learning to be an Outdoor girl...for him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

In the Fundyland of Duggarville working for others is a no-no, so it would have to be a lawyer or doctor with a private practice that serves other Fundies - so probably not making enough to pay off their student loans. And I think they consider Austin a businessman, cuz, you know, house flipping.

The field of suitable Fundy bachelors, by Duggar standards, is very small.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

Hey....what's wrong with NC?  (I'm from NC.)  lol Just kidding.  Yeah, that's a pretty big disparity between those international trips and the NC Outer Banks.  They are lovely, but, you can go there any old time.  

• Love 1

Maybe Derick didn't want to leave his mother so sick?

If I recall, Cathy was quite sick during that time period of the wedding/honeymoon.

When my mom was on chemotherapy, I never went more than a few hours away.  I just couldn't leave her like that, ya know? I wanted to available if something happened. 

• Love 9

I love watching these backwards, fundie hillbillies act all worldly and go on international tips, trying to appear cosmopolitan. I doubt either one of them has much care for Swiss culture.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

The better prospects are too smart to want to be under Boob's thumb.  He wants spouses he can control.

That's my guess, anyway.  

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

JimBob is an egomaniac who wants SIL's he can control. A doctor or lawyer making good income won't tap dance to Boob's tune. An infatuated teenage boy with no money and little work experience will.

I posted before reading all the comments.  We have great minds and think alike :)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

I think because the Dullards got the McMansion. The other Duggarlings got the Mold House. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I love watching these backwards, fundie hillbillies act all worldly and go on international tips, trying to appear cosmopolitan. I doubt either one of them has much care for Swiss culture.

Cheese, yes, but not REAL cheese. Would look down their noses at the many Catholics, I'm guessing. Maybe we'll get some footage of them trying to yodel?

• Love 2

No one but a Duggar would take a TV film crew along for their honeymoon.  No real celebrity would do that.  These people don't experience a real life; everything they do is staged − even their honeymoons!

• Love 14
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lunera said:

I think Jizm Bob must feel absolutely certain that he is and always will be better than anyone who comes into the family. Plus, if you had an I! over about 95, it would probably kick in and send you running away from the prospect of a lifetime with Jizm Bob and Meeeeechelle as your intrusive, incredibly stupid in-laws. 

1 hour ago, louannems said:

Every video taken with Austin and Joy show them with their arms around each other and swaying back and forth. Kind of like rocking a baby!  I find it odd.

I kind of get the feeling that they're uncomfortable with the cameras and that's their security answer for it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

With the exception of Jerick, all of the couples went to a semi-local destination before the big trip. But not Pike's Peak. 

This honeymoon, and Joy's comments about it, make it clear that this was planned by Austin. Joy nay be a Country girl, but that survival camp episode illustrated that she was just learning to be an Outdoor girl...for him. 

Oops. Forgot to comment on the honeymoon.

"Switzerland. Is that like, where Ikea is from, and where I can see polar bears?"-A Duggar kid, probably.

I imagine they'll go down to Cinque Terre in Italy. Joy will pretend to be all outdoorsy, they'll be going on about how romantic it is while they're wishing the cameras weren't there. You know the deal.

• Love 3

Joy needs a "TV persona" so she is now cast as "outdoorsy".

This is news to all of us.  We knew she wasn't girly girl but that doesn't mean she likes the outdoors.  She looked pretty out of place when they did that recent episode, Duggars in the Wild.  Joy did not look very joyful to be outdoors. 

• Love 10
On 6/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, Clemgo3165 said:

I don't think she looks rough at all. She looks like her natural self, without all of the makeup, and I think she looks quite pretty to be honest.

So do I.  I think she looks great, and very natural.  She's right up there with Jana in the looks department, in my opinion.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Lunera said:

5 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Fundie royalty wanted nothing to do with the Duggars. Otherwise there would be Waller, Keilen, Paine, etc, in-laws.

1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Even in Fundie world, the Duggars are considered kooks.  Especially after this Josh Mess I & II. 

Makes me think that the Josh info was out in their circle. 

I don't think the Duggars were ever "fundie royalty."

Yes, they achieved celebrity and big paychecks from the TLC show(s), and I heard that at least in IBLP circles the Duggars were held up as shining examples (well, pre-Joshgate). But not all fundies are Gothardites. Also, I think that many people who knew the Duggars personally were, even if initially favorable, not necessarily big fans on longer acquaintance. I agree with @Marigold that many people in their circle must have known about Josh for a long time.

And even in the rah rah back-slapping "Praise the Lord, Amen" religious world, where people are inclined to accept and be supportive of others in their particular flavor of religion? I think Jim Boob would just grate after awhile of personal acquaintance. 

• Love 13
On 6/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, Lunera said:

Wtf is this? It has Sierra written all over it.

Oh em gee. I was reading this forum on my phone and tablet the last couple of days. That looked awful enough there. Now I'm back at my computer and 24" monitor, and that picture is the stuff of nightmares. Yecch!

Those lumps of whatever are arrayed on a grease-spotted plate, or is it a circular piece of white cardboard? I'm impressed that someone actually managed to make supposedly edible ball-shaped things that are flesh-colored. And then there's the backasswards ampersand that's beautifully butt-shaped *and* simultaneously boob-shaped.

As noted above, this may have established a whole new level of Pinterest fail.

• Love 11

No??? switzerland, so they are close to me. Yikes.

they may get a bit of a shock of how utterly expensive everything is. Even mcdonalds.

pity im down by the lake at the mo-i might have been tempted to stalk them, i mean, to do some research, bahahaha

so austin wanted to come and joy just said yes?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

No??? switzerland, so they are close to me. Yikes.

they may get a bit of a shock of how utterly expensive everything is. Even mcdonalds.

pity im down by the lake at the mo-i might have been tempted to stalk them, i mean, to do some research, bahahaha

so austin wanted to come and joy just said yes?

Joy must always be available . (snicker)

• Love 6

TLC have some creativity, Joy and Austin build a tiny house. They are so inspired by their Switzerland (second, TLC paid) honeymoon they want to travel the USA! Austin was on that strictest parents so called reality TV show. He's never been allowed to close his door unless he was changing his clothes. Because no secrets. Joy grew up in a dorm and was never alone. Because who knows how many secrets and counting.

In Switzerland they realize they can think and do what they want. But they are essentially bots who have been void of that ability. The TLC crew LETS them have a say over where and what to do. They surprise themselves and realize it is feasible. The happy couple returns home, build their tiny house, and realize space is an issue.  They make the bold (how bold voice over from Japan's original Iron Chef) decision to have just one child! They just want to travel their great country. The happy couple sets shop in each state, and Austin flips a house to pay the bills. Joy is at home with their only child, and loving life. 

Not going to happen, but I'm sick and needed a pick me up. I would watch that show without resenting them getting paid for just breathing. It's a hell of a lot better than getting paid for breeding.

I do realize I'm going to hell.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

Jill did get to go to Nepal to meet Drek. And she got to go with her dad, so she wins.  

• Love 4
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Ugh. It's so unfair these amazing trips are wasted on a bunch of backwards ignoramuses who probably look for the nearest McDonald's once they hit the ground. 

Yes. They judge too. 

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I don't think the Duggars were ever "fundie royalty."

Yes, they achieved celebrity and big paychecks from the TLC show(s), and I heard that at least in IBLP circles the Duggars were held up as shining examples (well, pre-Joshgate). But not all fundies are Gothardites. Also, I think that many people who knew the Duggars personally were, even if initially favorable, not necessarily big fans on longer acquaintance. I agree with @Marigold that many people in their circle must have known about Josh for a long time.

And even in the rah rah back-slapping "Praise the Lord, Amen" religious world, where people are inclined to accept and be supportive of others in their particular flavor of religion? I think Jim Boob would just grate after awhile of personal acquaintance. 

iirc Jim Bob was seen as a social climber and not very well liked. There were a couple of posts that pinpointed the molestation and that Jim Bob was in trouble with the church. Inviting everyone and their dog to his daughters' weddings seems to be a way of getting back at those that thought Jim Bob was a social climber.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I've never seen someone in a chocolate factory manage to look so miserable.

Right? If I got to go to a place like that, I'd be like Lucy and Ethel shoving chocolates into my mouth at warp speed. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Right? If I got to go to a place like that, I'd be like Lucy and Ethel shoving chocolates into my mouth at warp speed. 

I was *this* close to making a Lucy reference in my OP. :D

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/9/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mollie said:

No one but a Duggar would take a TV film crew along for their honeymoon.  No real celebrity would do that.  These people don't experience a real life; everything they do is staged − even their honeymoons!

I agree. If they are being filmed on the honeymoon, I doubt they made any decisions about it. That people quote about Austin "wanting to go there" sounds like pure BS. People or TLC told them where they were going and the staged activities reinforce that  

I feel awful being so cynical but I don't trust anything these people show the world. They aren't curious, well-read, cultured, or interesting (but I think they might be if they were allowed to be)

Edited by Mojitogirl
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 6/9/2017 at 7:10 PM, Mollie said:

I don't like to bash the kids for this, though. Because it's yet another crappy completely ill-considered thing their stupid fame-whore parents have done to them.

The kids didn't put themselves on the TeeVee. Jizm Bob and Meeechelle did. First they brainwashed them into their horrible cult -- which forces you to falsify everything you think and feel to conform with some idiot's fantasy about umbrellas and eyetraps. And then they stuck them on "reality" TeeVee -- another venue where falsifying everything about your life is a damn requirement. And they've been carefully taught (and this is the only thing they've been taught, unfortunately) that all their money comes from one of these founts of falsification and that their only shot at avoiding eternity in a lake of fire comes from the other. 

I wish some kid would rebel and refuse or run (or hit Jizm Bob in the head with a shovel, actually). But I see why they don't and apparently can't. So, as usual, I feel like snarking on the kids for their stupid videoed honeymoons but when I think about it all I can really do is hate their parents. As always. 

I do wish one of them would marry somebody who'd up and refuse the whole thing. But of course Jizm Bob is on the lookout for any such potential traitors in the suitor pool. And people who are attracted are attracted in part for the fame, even if they're not admitting it to themselves...and the falsification of life goes along with the fame in this case. I do see that Der and Jer have both had impulses to run and even acted on them a tiny bit, with Der's absconding to CA and Jer implementing the six-month rule. But neither of them has the brains or the balls or the wherewithal to skip the constant  videoed Duggar mini-vacations and so on. So they're being sucked into it, probably inexorably (although I hope not -- there's still time for all the Duggar adjacents to pull their chestnuts out of the fire, i think...Poverty will do it. So come on, poverty.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think Joyless Joy enjoyed this one. Austin looks like he's been told he's about to be sent off to the local KGB headquarters.

For Joy, this trip is more freedom then she's had her whole life; for Austin, it's an education in just how intrusive and limiting being a Duggar is because of the ever-present camera.

• Love 19
(edited)
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

TLC-sponsored activity. They made chocolate, y'all! 

tumblr_orb48nK8291uipssao1_1280.png

Um, should I be worried that she hashtagged this "19kidsandcounting" instead of "countingon"? Edit: OK, wait, this isn't Joy's post so maybe the poster is not up-to-date. Please.

Edited by momofsquid
realized who was posting
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

Austin has resting 'dead-eyed serial killer' face. I could just see him being the creepy stalker turned killer in an episode of Criminal Minds.

I say this applies to all the older Duggar men and sons-in-law. They all give me the creeps.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

TLC could have saved themselves some money & sent the honeymooners to Chocolate World @ Hershey Park, PA.

I think they feel obliged to put new -- and slightly exotic-- scenery behind each honeymoon for the pleasure of the viewing audience. They probably put out the call to all world venues that Duggars haven't previously visited and give the role of Honeymoon Backdrop Locale to whichever promises the most perks and cheapest rates in return for the exposure. They figure a lot of the tv audience has already seen Hershey, I suppose.  Plus, there's no smellevision, and the saturating chocolate smell is the most interesting thing about Hershey anyway, I think. Having been there a few times, I do wonder whether the inside of my lungs is eternally coated with chocolate. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think they feel obliged to put new -- and slightly exotic-- scenery behind each honeymoon for the pleasure of the viewing audience. They probably put out the call to all world venues that Duggars haven't previously visited and give the role of Honeymoon Backdrop Locale to whichever promises the most perks and cheapest rates in return for the exposure. They figure a lot of the tv audience has already seen Hershey, I suppose.  Plus, there's no smellevision, and the saturating chocolate smell is the most interesting thing about Hershey anyway, I think. Having been there a few times, I do wonder whether the inside of my lungs is eternally coated with chocolate. 

^^I agree. 

The quasi-annual "Duggars abroad" storyline from 19K&C has morphed into "overseas honeymoons" for 19K&C v2.0. I mean, Counting On.

Edited to delete silly comment.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

A cousin of mine is getting married. I googled for their wedding registry. They are registered at Bed Bath and Beyond and Amazon. Their registries are not out of line.

I was shocked, to find there is basically a go fund me page for contributions to their honeymoon. I had never heard of such a thing. It's honeyfund.com. Think the Duggars have heard of it? Still can't believe my cousin is on there. I feel like it's a DONATE button!

• Love 5