Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I was shocked, to find there is basically a go fund me page for contributions to their honeymoon. I had never heard of such a thing. It's honeyfund.com. Think the Duggars have heard of it? Still can't believe my cousin is on there. I feel like it's a DONATE button!

I think this is more common for couples that are either older or that have been living together for awhile and don't necessarily have the need for household things to start their married life because they already have them.

As long as you've already decided to give them a gift,I don't really see the harm in giving them an experience if that's what they choose. It's not really that much different than giving cash, other than its cash that is already earmarked for something.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 17
15 minutes ago, McManda said:

I think this is more common for couples that are either older or that have been living together for awhile and don't necessarily have the need for household things to start their married life because they already have them.

As long as you've already decided to give them a gift,I don't really see the harm in giving them an experience if that's what they choose. It's not really that much different than giving cash, other than its cash that is already earmarked for something.

This is what my cousin just did. They said in the invitation that they didn't need any household goods, so instead there was the option to gift them a few bucks towards their honeymoon (airplane, hotel, and spa day if I remember the invitation correctly). I agree this is pretty common amongst millenials (late 20's), especially. Older couples can usually fund their own honeymoons. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is what my cousin just did. They said in the invitation that they didn't need any household goods, so instead there was the option to gift them a few bucks towards their honeymoon (airplane, hotel, and spa day if I remember the invitation correctly). I agree this is pretty common amongst millenials (late 20's), especially. Older couples can usually fund their own honeymoons. 

Perhaps it's because I found it by googling that it hit me like it did. There was nothing about it with the shower or wedding invitations, just Bed Bath and Beyond and Amazon. They are both in their 30's .

We had a large Hershey plant near me in California, and it was a great trip for school classes and out-of-town visitors.  No amusements, but there were samples!  It was nowhere near as big as the plant in PA, but it was a good sized plant.  The area was hard hit when they relocated to Mexico.

• Love 1

Yeah, I haven't got a problem with it as a theory either - leaves your hands free when you show up for the wedding; clearly the celebrants will learn online or through the "Fund" account console who gave them that money... some people don't want to wrangle gifts, or complicate things with figuring out who to ask for a shipping address, etc.

• Love 2

I wonder which one is writing these posts? Austin took the pic, but is it Joy's camera? His? I never felt that Joy had two brain cells to rub together, so my money is on Austin, espeically since he didn't even include her name in the bio, except to say it was their "official" account. 

3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's why I think Austin is writing their posts. Who knows if Joy even knows what Intelligent Design even is? 

Joy doesn't know what intelligence is.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Imagine taking time out of your honeymoon, your first trip alone ever, to rant about intelligent design

And on TLC's  money  that the rubes get to travel on.  STFU & enjoy your free trip.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's why I think Austin is writing their posts. Who knows if Joy even knows what Intelligent Design even is? 

They went to the Creation Museum once or twice. Granted Joy was being educated by the time Michelle gave up on educating the young'uns. Let's be real. The only education they probably get is that staged Bible Time.

I do feel bad for the J'children (except Josh). They were kept purposely under-educated by their nutcase parents. I don't think most of them would be perceived as dim if given the chance at some education besides "This is the Bible! Josie, don't eat your Bible. This Bible is very important."

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder which one is writing these posts? Austin took the pic, but is it Joy's camera? His? I never felt that Joy had two brain cells to rub together, so my money is on Austin, espeically since he didn't even include her name in the bio, except to say it was their "official" account. 

These people all look alike. He looks like he could be any random Duggar boy.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I see here the same problem I see with so many other Duggar photo -- there is no joy in her eyes. She's smiling, but I don't see genuine happiness. She's newly married -- essnetially just got everything that she has been indoctrinated to value in life, and she is on her honeymoon in a gorgeous place, but she doesn't look any happier than she was in the TTH wiping slobber off oif Josie's chin.

• Love 11

We'll find out when the episode airs and I sincerely hope I'm wrong but in the clips they're airing -- Joy doesn't look happy or thrilled walking down the aisle and standing at the altar. She looks nervous. And not a giddy/I can't wait nervous, but like real nervous like she's thinking "ok this is it, I have to do this . . . ."

Every time I see that commercial I keep thinking back to a TH maybe 2-3 yrs ago max - probably in the lead up to one of her sisters' weddings/courtships, where Joy is sitting next to Grandma and says -- I don't know if I'll want to get married, it's too much work. That conversation has always been seared in my head bc I've always thought -- if she had said that in front of her parents, she'd be in the prayer closet. If she had said that in front of her sisters or Anna, they would have been patronizing and dismissive and told her - of course you want to get married, you'll change your mind. Yet Grandma being the only "normal" person in that bunch just let Joy be a 16-17 yr old and express an opinion without telling her she was wrong.

Thing is -- how much could she have changed her mind in 2-3 yrs? I know LOTS of people change their mind on this -- you always meet people who say they never wanted to get married or have kids but then when they met Mr. Right all of that changed. But the thing is -- Joy KNEW her supposed Mr. Right when she said that. They've supposedly been "friends" (i.e. seen him around when he comes to hang with her brothers) since age 5. So it's not like she was thinking or saying -- I don't want to get married but damn if Austin ever gave me a second look, I'd hit it in a second. Nope -- she was likely thinking of all the guys she'd known or seen up to that point and coming to the conclusion of -- what's so great about marrying one of these people? Fast forward 2-3 yrs -- she finishes "school" and has nothing better to do right around the time that Austin needs a bride and decides the easiest would be to pick a low maintenance sister of a friend bc then he wouldn't have to court her too hard . . . .No wonder her pics aren't exuding much joy.

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, cereality said:

We'll find out when the episode airs and I sincerely hope I'm wrong but in the clips they're airing -- Joy doesn't look happy or thrilled walking down the aisle and standing at the altar. She looks nervous. And not a giddy/I can't wait nervous, but like real nervous like she's thinking "ok this is it, I have to do this . . . ."

Every time I see that commercial I keep thinking back to a TH maybe 2-3 yrs ago max - probably in the lead up to one of her sisters' weddings/courtships, where Joy is sitting next to Grandma and says -- I don't know if I'll want to get married, it's too much work. That conversation has always been seared in my head bc I've always thought -- if she had said that in front of her parents, she'd be in the prayer closet. If she had said that in front of her sisters or Anna, they would have been patronizing and dismissive and told her - of course you want to get married, you'll change your mind. Yet Grandma being the only "normal" person in that bunch just let Joy be a 16-17 yr old and express an opinion without telling her she was wrong.

Thing is -- how much could she have changed her mind in 2-3 yrs? I know LOTS of people change their mind on this -- you always meet people who say they never wanted to get married or have kids but then when they met Mr. Right all of that changed. But the thing is -- Joy KNEW her supposed Mr. Right when she said that. They've supposedly been "friends" (i.e. seen him around when he comes to hang with her brothers) since age 5. So it's not like she was thinking or saying -- I don't want to get married but damn if Austin ever gave me a second look, I'd hit it in a second. Nope -- she was likely thinking of all the guys she'd known or seen up to that point and coming to the conclusion of -- what's so great about marrying one of these people? Fast forward 2-3 yrs -- she finishes "school" and has nothing better to do right around the time that Austin needs a bride and decides the easiest would be to pick a low maintenance sister of a friend bc then he wouldn't have to court her too hard . . . .No wonder her pics aren't exuding much joy.

So many thoughts on this. First, Joy is not smart and has zero initiative. She's easy to sway. Second, I totally agree that she would've been corrected, instead of just listened to, if she'd said that to anybody but Grandma. Third, Yes, people can change a lot in 2-3 years, especially during the teenage years, and we're bad to hear something one time, often without the full context, and set it in stone for eternity (AKA Jinger saying one time she wanted to live in a city. 

Last, and most important, Joy drank the Kool-aid faster than Jessa and Josiah. Whatever smidge of independent thought she had, the second they started lavishing courtship and marriage attention on her, and she felt like she mattered, she jumped on that bandwagon and went along with whatever they suggested. It's quite sad and also scary as to how fast a little bit of attention will turn these people into moldable mush.

• Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

It's quite sad and also scary as to how fast a little bit of attention will turn these people into moldable mush.

It's actually a good thing they don't live in the real world because these girls would get eaten alive. Susannah Keller was pregnant and dumped within a year of leaving the cult. Jerks are like vultures when it comes to sniffing out women who're desperate for love and affirmation.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

I see here the same problem I see with so many other Duggar photo -- there is no joy in her eyes. She's smiling, but I don't see genuine happiness. She's newly married -- essnetially just got everything that she has been indoctrinated to value in life, and she is on her honeymoon in a gorgeous place, but she doesn't look any happier than she was in the TTH wiping slobber off oif Josie's chin.

IDK, it's really hard because with all that eyeliner her eyes just look like one big black void to me.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They went to the Creation Museum once or twice. Granted Joy was being educated by the time Michelle gave up on educating the young'uns. Let's be real. The only education they probably get is that staged Bible Time.

I do feel bad for the J'children (except Josh). They were kept purposely under-educated by their nutcase parents. I don't think most of them would be perceived as dim if given the chance at some education besides "This is the Bible! Josie, don't eat your Bible. This Bible is very important."

I remember the video on their Facebook page of Josie 'reciting' some Bible verse. She said a few words and Mechelle filled in most of it. I bet telling her not to eat the Bible would teach her more about it than being partially taught some KJV Old English verse.

What you said makes me wonder if Blob has any idea of his children's educational levels. I get the impression that he'd think he does, since he's an expert on everything, but I'd be very surprised if he is involved enough and knowledgeable enough to know how crap their educations have been. Then again, he must notice if nobody's ever actually doing any schooling. Has he ever been shown or talked about getting involved?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, because all twenty- somethings and most of us all use words like "sheweth and firmament" one more arrogant know-it-all. I don't mind people quoting the bible but for heaven's sake come out of the 1600s and use a freaking modern version. Shut up Austin..

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I remember the video on their Facebook page of Josie 'reciting' some Bible verse. She said a few words and Mechelle filled in most of it. I bet telling her not to eat the Bible would teach her more about it than being partially taught some KJV Old English verse.

Because I am a pedantic SOB...the attached image is an example of Old English. The KJV is considered Early Modern English. That said, I think it's ridiculous to have youngsters learn such unnecessarily difficult text. When my kids were grade school age, our church's "Bible Drill"program used KJV. I begged for that to change, but I was told the only alternative was NIV, and our pastor had problems with that translation, so nope.  

beowulf-original.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And Austin is coming off as a sanctimonious twit. 

pretty sure that somewhere between the ages of about 15 and 21 all Duggars and Duggar adjacents graduate from being dim, stunted, somewhat confused looking pre-adolescents to being full-bore  sanctimonious twits. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, Obsidian said:

What you said makes me wonder if Blob has any idea of his children's educational levels. I get the impression that he'd think he does, since he's an expert on everything, but I'd be very surprised if he is involved enough and knowledgeable enough to know how crap their educations have been. Then again, he must notice if nobody's ever actually doing any schooling. Has he ever been shown or talked about getting involved?

I'm 100% sure he knows. The Bible is the only education they need! It was deliberate to make sure they didn't marry outsiders who didn't fit their criteria. It was meant to keep them in line. As soon as you start thinking, thinking leads to hand holding outside of engagement. Which then leads to sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.

He was too busy showing off his brood and trying to get Michelle knocked up to make sure his children got a decent education. There's no way with all the staging for the show and gallivanting to various ATI/IBLP events that they got more than a few hours a week of "school".

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

pretty sure that somewhere between the ages of about 15 and 21 all Duggars and Duggar adjacents graduate from being dim, stunted, somewhat confused looking pre-adolescents to being full-bore  sanctimonious twits. 

They are also taught lines and camera angles for teevee.  Who cares if they learn basic math, English, history or any other skills children their ages are taught.  The just need to learn to smile pretty for the camera.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Well, he doesn't care about his kids except insofar as they can be a worshiping slave army for him, and he doesn't care about education at all. So whatever he's aware of in this regard, I'm sure it doesn't matter to him. 

The kids are in no way real individuals who should have their own real lives, to him. To him they're just tools of his ego and his sovereignty. So since education might form them into people in their own right, he's not going to want it for them. Plus, education might make you think. And kids that thought would be a threat to Jim Bob and would also be contrary to what God wants, since he only gave you thinking capacity to find out whether you'll give in to the temptation to follow your own thinking and abandon your faith in him. And if you do, then it's hellfire for you, educated sucka.  It's that apple of knowledge thing, right there in genesis.

JIm Bob just isn't on the same page as most people when it comes to these things, I think. He's too sick, self-centered and narcissistic. 

• Love 8

What annoys me (based on the commercial previews) is Joy saying, "Today I marry my best friend."  ALL of the (married) Dugger girls have said that.  How do these fiancés suddenly become their "best friend"?

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Portia said:

Because I am a pedantic SOB...the attached image is an example of Old English. The KJV is considered Early Modern English. That said, I think it's ridiculous to have youngsters learn such unnecessarily difficult text. When my kids were grade school age, our church's "Bible Drill"program used KJV. I begged for that to change, but I was told the only alternative was NIV, and our pastor had problems with that translation, so nope.  

beowulf-original.jpg

Aargh! Should've known that from, ironically, my education.

• Love 3

Yes, this family's obsession with kissing and sex is disgusting. If I hear or read any of them saying how "excited for them" they are, I'll scream. They have a VERY limited vocabulary...except for when they group learn a new word, such as "surreal", then they all use it all the time for everything. Just pitiful.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

What annoys me (based on the commercial previews) is Joy saying, "Today I marry my best friend."  ALL of the (married) Dugger girls have said that.  How do these fiancés suddenly become their "best friend"?

They never had the chance to have real BFFs.  They never went to school and ate lunch with a bestie.  They never went to slumber parties, proms, double dates, shopping, rode a school bus or any of the things little girls do.  They only had sisters and that is a very different thing.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I'm guessing it's all that time they spend together having private conversations. Oh wait....

• Love 10
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Yes, this family's obsession with kissing and sex is disgusting. If I hear or read any of them saying how "excited for them" they are, I'll scream.

I mean, sex is fun, I think most people would agree. It's okay to talk about sex and relationships. The problem is, the Duggar girls especially, have a very narrow view of sex. They get excited about their first sexual experience and want to somehow share that excitement and happiness. It's a very sixteen year old reaction.

I don't  fault the married Duggar girls for talking about sex because I think that's  normal. I fault them for talking about it like it's the only thing that matters and only once their married.

I'm sad for them that they're not going to have a cute first first kiss anecdote or get to experience the butterflies associated with the first kiss with someone. It's all a big production that everyone hopes ends with someone pregnant.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

I think Dim Bob gets off on watching his daughters' first kiss. Let's hope Joy and Austin didn't have a first kiss disaster in front of 1000 people.

picasion.com_57aa5b343dfbfcdd7b41370d3eefa2dc.gif

This looks like a hot mess of a kiss. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

My eyesight  isn't good - is that Muffy and D(er)ick's wedding kiss (?) or whatever the hell it is?

Oh thank goodness. I just saw the long scraggly hair and defaulted to Joy. I forgot Austin wore a blue suit. 

• Love 1

They look like they're 12. Oh, and Joy, stop saying you are marrying your 'best friend'. We all know that you were never allowed to spend any time with a boy, let alone develop a friendship with one. I wonder which baby Josh will be using as a human shield during these nuptials.

• Love 11

Watching this wedding -- two words come to mind "child bride." She has a running commentary up there at the altar as she is asking him for permission, what to do etc. They went over to sign something - license? marriage certificate - and she literally whispers - oh you're the groom. And then asks him, I can use my name, right? Meaning she wasn't sure whether to sign it as Joy Duggar or Joy Forsyth. WTF!? Obviously she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but most parents don't push their young, unintelligent daughters into marriage . . . .

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Aargh! Should've known that from, ironically, my education.

Honestly, even though I have a couple of English degrees, I had to check it to make sure I was right. School was a looong time ago. 

• Love 1