Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

Paper planes! What a cute idea for a pilot groom and his bride. 

Honestly, I like it too. Whimsical and creative from two families that aren't.

• Love 9

I don't think the crying looked that bad, either. Yes, a little more going on than happy tears, but not close to devastated or anything. (I actually know someone who's parents "forced" her to marry the man who got her pregnant--now THAT was ugly crying.) Joy looked a lot like she did during Jill and Derick's first goodbye party when everyone was all sad even though they knew she'd be back in like a month--sad over the "major" change that was coming, but not beyond the realm of normal. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

The airplane thing is new, to me at least. When rice first fell out of favor, guests were given little bags of bird seed, but all my recent weddings have had us blowing bubbles or skipping that part completely.

We handed out little bells for the guests to ring at my wedding, in place of rice/bird seed/bubbles.

1,002 paper airplanes sounds like a good way to poke an eye out! But in seriousness, I do think that is a cute and unique idea.

• Love 1

Place your bets on how many planes Josie licked. Now we know what the List Girls did during Wedding Week when the older sisters got primped and pampered (although one would never know it). 

Re: crying. Why is it considered not "girly" if one isn't a crier? I reference @Jynnan tonnix post which I had trouble pruning on my phone. Without wardrobe restrictions, I think Joy would dress a lot like me: varied cotton tops, some emblamatic, some more "girly," and jeans. I think Joy is pretty tough, but those tears happened for many reasons. I never said she was unhappy, just IMO it was an ugly cry. Half her face was engulfed in tears. As a non-crier, I have lower standards than most, it appears. And that's fine. Being a non-crier doesn't make me devoid of feelings; I hope those were happy tears.

Whatever the case, TLC got us talking. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A tell-all book would only confirm everything we already know. Blanket-trained, hit with rods, Michelle's breakdown, buddy system/sister moms, Josh Scandal #1, Alert/Journey, oppression of women/children, preoccupation w/sex, religious zealots, poorly educated, arranged marriages, Josh Scandal #2, court case ...

Yes, WE know that because we're strange enough to follow the antics of this twisted group of fundie weirdos.  *LOL*

Most people probably see them as a religious family with lots of kids and have a boring TV show on a network they never watch. 

• Love 4
(edited)

http://duggars.tumblr.com/

Scroll down a bit and there is the clip.

I'm sorry I didn't give you a link! I figured I was the last one to see it, not the first.  ;)  I was out all day yesterday and didn't surf over here.

She isn't sobbing hysterically but she does not look happy.  I hope things get better for Joy. 

Edited by Marigold

Switching gears a bit, and I apologize if it's been discussed before, but apparently Austin and his family have been on an episode of a reality tv show: "World's Strictest Parents".  I read that in a comment section today. Did anyone see that episode?  I've never even heard of the program but I haven't had cable for 7.5 years. 

On 6/3/2017 at 10:43 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

I wonder how long it takes them to realize they can do what they want to now. After years of never being allowed to be alone, I'd imagine this isn't instantaneous.

Jeremy and Jinger said they spent a lot of time talking the first few days after the wedding - that's one quote I fully believe as not edited/changed/added even with the sexual freedom I can see that happening with Joy and Austin too.  The sudden ability to say anything and everything without a third party listening in and knowing your secrets and thoughts must be almost intoxicating.   But I agree it's not necessarily instantaneous, imagine all the things you don't know about your partner when you court so quickly and using the Duggar rules.

The wedding pictures made me realize they've reached a point where it's highly unlikely that they won't have at least one pregnant bridesmaid in any given wedding from now through Josie.

• Love 3

They look happy enough and I finally cracked and watched that teary promo, thanks for the link. I don't see anything to worry about, just a girl who is overcome momentarily and doesn't feel she wants to be.

I cannot even begin to imagine her life now. Pregnant any day? And they are building their own house with what money exactly?

How on earth did a Duggar party go until 5am? They had to raid the pantry for green beans and pickles to feed their guests. 

Where they waiting for Joy to call and say the deed was done?

• Love 9
(edited)

I found the TLC commercial showing excerpts of the proposal more upsetting than the crying.  Joy keeps saying "No" over & over again. ( I think it's No she was saying).  I know it was supposed to be more of an "oh my, he's going to ask me to marry me" kind of surprised response but some of those No's sounded very real - like "No, I can't believe this is happening" or  "No I don't want to do this."  Maybe it won't be as bad when we see the whole segment not just the bits & pieces  TLC likes to dangle in front of us.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
(edited)

Joy's courting, engagement, wedding happened in the course of 6 months. Her 1st kiss and 1st sexual experience within hours of each other. For a girl who never had interest in guys until 6 months ago and the maturity of a 12 year old it happened way to fast. 

I don't believe all that crap about supposedly they've been friends for 15 years. I think Austin started crushing on her a few years back and started coming around more often, Boob noticed this and proceeded to push them together. I believe Joy likes him in the way you like a boy who starts paying attention to you all of a sudden and that crush could have eventually turned to love if they were given more time to court but Boob needed a good season premiere to keeps the leghumpers entertained and the gravy train going. I get why she would have been hesitant at her proposal.  Marriage is fun and exciting and she can finally leave the compound but she knows that she'll get pregnant within the month and she sure isn't ready to start raising kids. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 11

Bear with me here. They have been best buddies for 15 years. Joy is 19, Austin is 22. So for example Austin was 13 and best buds with a 10 year old girl? And since she wasn't even allowed to hang with her own brother.....I'm a tad confused?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

How on earth did a Duggar party go until 5am? They had to raid the pantry for green beans and pickles to feed their guests. 

Well, Meechelle has said that they are night owls, and, with all the teen and preteen howlers, they probably stay up late most nights.  After all, it isn't like most of them have to go to work or school on any given day, so why not stay up all night?

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Bear with me here. They have been best buddies for 15 years. Joy is 19, Austin is 22. So for example Austin was 13 and best buds with a 10 year old girl? And since she wasn't even allowed to hang with her own brother.....I'm a tad confused?

The Duggars have very loose definitions of friendship. Back in the original series they claimed the Bateseseses were their "best friends" even though they hadn't seen them in years prior to TLC arranging a meeting.

I doubt Austin and Joy had a close friendship growing up. They're way too awkward for me to believe they knew each other that well. The Duggars sold Joy off like a piece of livestock. Framing it as "it's no biggie because they've known each other forever and are super duper besties" is their way of deflecting criticism.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Agree.

They use the word "friend" and "best friend" in ways that the rest of don't.  Austin is a best friend for YEARS?  That is laughable. 

And Joy has 1002 'friends' that she invited to her wedding.

• Love 11
(edited)
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The Duggars have very loose definitions of friendship. Back in the original series they claimed the Bateseseses were their "best friends" even though they hadn't seen them in years prior to TLC arranging a meeting.

I doubt Austin and Joy had a close friendship growing up. They're way too awkward for me to believe they knew each other that well. The Duggars sold Joy off like a piece of livestock. Framing it as "it's no biggie because they've known each other forever and are super duper besties" is their way of deflecting criticism.

Agreed. In the Duggar universe the term 'friend' seems to indicate 'someone who I noticed breathing next to me'. 'Best friend' is for when they actually know that person's name.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 22

Exactly, 

Austin probably had a tatertot casserole dinner with the family a few times and now Joy and Austin are best friends. Maybe they said "hi" and even chatted a bit about the weather.  

• Love 4
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Agree.

They use the word "friend" and "best friend" in ways that the rest of don't.  Austin is a best friend for YEARS?  That is laughable. 

Especially considering Joy's formative years were post-Joshgate and these girls couldn't even be alone in a room with their own brothers. It's highly unlikely Boob let his daughters play with random boys. But hey, you know how the Duggars roll. Tell a lie enough times and eventually everyone believes it. Everyone except us, lol.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm sure she played with her brothers and Austin together during her tomboy period. I doubt the children were allowed to play unchaperoned.

My understanding was that she knew Austin and had spoken to him in group situations for years. The poster up thread was probably right that Austin developed a crush on her a bit ago and decided to pursue a courtship after she turned 18. Had Joy been repulsed by him I think she would've said "no" and Jana would've backed her up (Jana cares for her sisters and would've appreciated help at TTH). Based on what we've seen I don't think she's hot for him the way Jinger was for Jeremy but they may be a good match personality wise. 

• Love 1

Y know, it occurred to me over the weekend that the wedding may have been moved up since the Matron of Honor (Jill) has plans to be "missionary-ing" in October.  Joy obviously wanted her "buddy" in the wedding party so they moved it up, insuring that she would be there.  (Just a thought...)

23 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Y know, it occurred to me over the weekend that the wedding may have been moved up since the Matron of Honor (Jill) has plans to be "missionary-ing" in October.  Joy obviously wanted her "buddy" in the wedding party so they moved it up, insuring that she would be there.  (Just a thought...)

I don't think the wedding was moved up at all.  It happened in normal Duggar time.

Jill got married after an engagement of two months and three weeks.

Jessa got married after an engagement of two months and two weeks.

Jinger got married after an engagement of three months and one week (after just a five-week courtship).

Joy and Austin got engaged on March 2.

• Love 5

4 bottles of detergent in a house where they claim to make their own. Name brand, too, among mostly generic food. I see nothing that needs 'cooking' more than reheating or adding water. At least there's canned spinach. 

And that's a pretty liberal definition of midnight. I think they all sleep till noon so being up that late is no big deal.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Because it's typical Duggar bullshit.  15 years ago, Joy was 4. The families may have met 15 years ago, but Joy wasn't hanging with Austin until she was allowed to. Before that, Austin probably started crushing on her then went to his dad and Boob before they ever really had much conversation together.

I don't know. Joy grew up surrounded by boys during the daytime at least. She was a true tomboy and you always saw her doing whatever her brothers did. My guess is that she knew Austin from family visits and Gothard circles, and that they got to know each other from hanging out as kids. He's the right age to have been friends with her older brothers. He's probably had an eye on her for a while now, he looks totally smitten in their pics. 

I don't think he's her Jeremy, but at least she's comfortable enough in the relationship that she can tell him to "stop" on their wedding day. Not high romance, but respect for each other goes a long way.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Annb67 said:

The Duggar's have a very loose definition of both time and friends. During the first season of X Kids and Counting, I was left with the impression that the Duggar kids didn't really socialize with anyone but their siblings, which is consistent with the families I know that homeschool for protection. Usually, even church kids are considered too worldly for them to spend any time with outside of church services. My bet is that the Duggars knew the Forsyths from the yearly Big Sandy outing and other Gothard-approved activities, but the kids didn't socialize outside of that until the last few years. 

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Lunera said:

Given their grasp of science they were probably waiting for her to report the results of her peeing on the stick. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Who is the girl second from left wearing the pink headband?

Either Susanna or Rebekah, one of Anna's sisters. I'm assuming Rebekah because she was married up until recently while Susanna is a single mom (I think she's dating or engaged now though).

It took me forever to find out where to post my comment, sooooooo...my questions may have already been answered.

I see where the new season (starting 6/12/17) is going to be a whopping 2 hours long!  I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the Duggars.  I went to the Counting On facebook page and I see a post from yesterday that says, "One week til Joy and Austin's wedding!"

I always thought Joy was a bit of a tom-boy and really had no interest in "girl stuff".  When she started with the raccoon eye make up, I felt like she was only doing it because it was expected of her.  I cannot believe JB/Michelle are allowing this child to marry the first boy who takes an interest in her.  It boggles my brain that JB/Michelle have no problem throwing their girls out the door at the first opportunity.  Just because you may "court" two or three different guys during your teenage years doesn't make you a slut by any stretch of the imagination.  And this is what they're teaching these girls.

I do have to say though that I believe Austin is much more mature going into this marriage than poor Ben was.   Ben was totally (and still is) unprepared for a wife and 2 kids and he's not even 22 yet (I don't think).  And I feel that Joy is a lot less mature than any of the other girls who married.

• Love 5

Okay, did Austin post this and mean to capitalize the H in "him" to refer to God's creation, or did Joy write this, referring to Austin, but autocorrect got her? I guess we'll have to see more posts before we know who's running this page (although it's under Austin's name only, which I find strange). Usually, it's the wives who do all the IG posts on shared accounts (see the Bateses). 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Okay, did Austin post this and mean to capitalize the H in "him" to refer to God's creation, or did Joy write this, referring to Austin, but autocorrect got her? I guess we'll have to see more posts before we know who's running this page (although it's under Austin's name only, which I find strange). Usually, it's the wives who do all the IG posts on shared accounts (see the Bateses). 

30 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I'd say Joy was referring to Austin with the heart afterward.

Not to mention the kissy emoji.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 1
(edited)

I dunno. It could be a "I heart God" heart. I missed the kissy emoji! Maybe Joy gets to post after all, and as I said before, her autocorrect has "Him" in it, since she's referred to God more than boys up till now.

I'm still bothered that the account only has Austin's name on it in the name box, although the descriptor says that it's the official account of Austin and Joy (he can't even put her first?) Forsyth. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)

Full discloser - I am social media challenged.  When I look at the post, it appears to be from both of them.  Austinandjoyforsyth.   Am I missing something?  I assumed they had the religious "joint account".   My sister shares an email account with her husband and is very proud to say it is because "neither of us has anything to hide".    Umm, I don't have anything to hide either but I still have a separate email account from Mr Tabloid.  Neither one of us considers an email account as a pathway to Satan and cheating.   But what do we know?  We've only been married 25 years.  She clearly knows more since she's been married 15 years and they are ULTRA RELIGIOUS FANATICS. 

Edited by tabloidlover
Guess I'm off to the prayer closet to reflect
  • Love 14
On 05/06/2017 at 9:21 PM, Lunera said:

Also, 4:45 am is not midnight. 

• Love 12

Kind of mean, but Austin needs to tilt his head down or raise his arm when taking selfies so he's not taking a shot of the inside of his nose. Yuck!

• Love 2