Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

If I have my dates correct,  both Joy & Alyssa Bates got married at same age -19 going on 20. Hard to believe as Alyssa seems so much more mature & put together.  Alyssa fell right into the role as Suzy Homemaker & Mommy.  Her house looks nice & she takes pride in it.  Same with other Bates' daughters.  Like we have said, what went wrong with the Duggar girls & their homemaking & cooking skills vs the Bates gals? 

I can't imagine Joy being pregnant & having a baby either.

Does anyone know where Joy & Austin will live?  Hopefully in one of HIS flipped houses & not one of JB's.  

• Love 7

Not sure why everyone thinks this is a bad thing for Joy... she was probably wanting to get the hell out of dodge as quickly as possible. 

I can't blame her for wanting to get married so young. 

It's either stay at the compound or get married.  She has no other options no matter what we hope for.

But I really wish she would have done SOMETHING to her hair.... at least put in a tiny bit of effort. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

.  Like we have said, what went wrong with the Duggar girls & their homemaking & cooking skills vs the Bates gals? 

Different parents, different home environment, differing levels of intelligence and motivation?  The fact of the matter is, as we've seen, Michelle was never much of a housekeeper or cook.  The kids have virtually no exposure to anyone outside their immediate family.  Where would they learn these skills?

My mom was a lousy housekeeper, it was not her thing.  However, she did know how to do that stuff and taught me and my sibs the basics.  We also had friends and relatives and spent time at their homes and saw how other people lived and at least a couple of us wanted neater homes than the one we came from.   Now that the 6 of us kids are grown, 2 of us are pretty good housekeepers, 2 are mediocre and one was downright bad.  My bipolar brother is also not too great at housework but he's not really a good example.  In other words, kids learn by experience and the Duggar kids got very little experience while the Bates' kids had parents (probably their mother) who was a decent homemaker and cook so they learned from example.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

If I have my dates correct,  both Joy & Alyssa Bates got married at same age -19 going on 20. Hard to believe as Alyssa seems so much more mature & put together.  Alyssa fell right into the role as Suzy Homemaker & Mommy.  Her house looks nice & she takes pride in it.  Same with other Bates' daughters.  Like we have said, what went wrong with the Duggar girls & their homemaking & cooking skills vs the Bates gals? 

Even though the Bateseses were dirt poor prior to reality tv, they never struck me as dirty, nasty people the way the Duggars do. Alyssa, Erin and Michael all have cute little homes that wouldn't make me afraid to eat there if I was ever an invited guest. Joy is the type to take all day to figure out how to open the child-proof cap on a bottle of bleach. I wonder if Austin is like Derrick where he has absolutely no clue as to what he's really getting. The Duggars make a huge deal about Austin and Joy knowing each other for fifteen years, but that could mean they saw each other at church once a month. Given his authoritarian upbringing, I don't see Austin as the type to have a lot of patience with a wife who can't get her shit together.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Like we have said, what went wrong with the Duggar girls & their homemaking & cooking skills vs the Bates gals? 

I understand what you mean Barb23. It does not make sense that in a family where the role of the homemaker is so emphasized and it is expected that all the girls will end up being homemakers that they would be taught absolutely nothing about how to do any of the jobs that role entails.  

Regardless of their mother's ability or interest in being a decent homemaker herself, you would think that if you had such clear-cut expectations for your own daughters you might find some way to see that they learned how to do things like basic cooking ...how make mashed potatoes or rice. But as we've seen that never happened.

I think it may have something to do with what Michelle's understanding of what a homemaker actually is ... and it's not what the rest of us think it is: cooking, cleaning, tending children and managing the house etc.

Michelle seems to think her primary job as a homemaker as being a  breeder. Being joyfully available on a constant basis and spitting out a baby a year. And if her two oldest married daughters are any indication, she taught them this part of the job very well.

• Love 20

Good post Celia.   I know we've hashed & rehashed the Duggar girls housekeeping skills before but it still is mind boggling.  I think you nailed it about Michelle thinking homemaking is baby producing.  Could you imagine if all these couples worked a 9-5 job outside the house real job like the rest of the world does?  Poor Jana wouldn't be able to keep up with the cleaning & daycare. 

• Love 8

At my middle school we had both Home Ec and Shop, so at least we had a glancing knowledge. You'd think that when schooled in YOUR HOME, one would be a master at all things domestic.

• Love 7
(edited)

They look like they're at a funeral rather than a wedding. Those bridesmaids' dresses are so morbid. Jessa and Jill are heading into frump territory.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 20
23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

They look like they're at a funeral rather than a wedding. Those bridesmaids' dresses are so morbid. Jessa and Jill are heading into frump territory.

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Accessories

Jana 4 stars simple strand.  

Jessa 4 stars ( would have made 5 for a short pearl necklace)

Jinger looks like she stopped in one of those cheap jewelry and accessory stores and purchased a set. Too geometric and for that traditional plain dress and the occasion. 

Jill wtf? either the boho earrings or the necklace NOT both. And neither matches the dress or occasion, but I would have given her one star if she had stopped at the earrings. The lace on her dress is ugly. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SMama said:

And what advice did Jana offer on marriage?

I didn't watch the video, but surely Jana is capable of offering some wisdom? If we say that she's not entitled to offer advice because she's a lowly unmarried woman, aren't we kind of playing the Duggars' game? I mean, she probably just spouted off some Bible verse about wifely submission, but still.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 15
(edited)

The video was about as useless as my blank screen above (which was the point of posting it). And Jessa, I don't believe for a second that you don't know where they're going. You practically live at the TTH. I am sure it's been discussed 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Regardless of their mother's ability or interest in being a decent homemaker herself, you would think that if you had such clear-cut expectations for your own daughters you might find some way to see that they learned how to do things like basic cooking ...how make mashed potatoes or rice. But as we've seen that never happened.

I think it may have something to do with what Michelle's understanding of what a homemaker actually is ... and it's not what the rest of us think it is: cooking, cleaning, tending children and managing the house etc.

Does my memory fail me or was MEchelle the youngest child?  Maybe she never learned anything about being a homemaker.  We have never really heard anything about her early life.  It might be interesting.  She was probably doted on as Josie is now.

I have a feeling Miracle has absolutely no jurisdictions other than walking on counters and licking them afterwards. I'll bet the other younger girls have deep seated resentments to her.  MEchelle makes it so obvious that she is her favorite. I'm thankful that she was not in this wedding and adorned with the glowing crown of thorns.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SMama said:

And what advice did Jana offer on marriage?

Well, she might have better homemaking advice than anybody else. (not that she proved able to navigate a box of instant rice either, of course)

• Love 6
(edited)

There's no excuse for not figuring out basic cooking. I didn't learn much cooking from my mom, but i could follow a frigging recipe, and I picked up tricks from friends here and there. And now we've got Google and Youtube. You can find tutorials on everything. EVERYTHING. 

Edited to add this important qualifier: "...if you're motivated."

Edited by Portia
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Portia said:

There's no excuse for not figuring out basic cooking. I didn't learn much cooking from my mom, but i could follow a frigging recipe, and I picked up tricks from friends here and there. And now we've got Google and Youtube. You can find tutorials on everything. EVERYTHING. 

Agree.  My mom is a wonderful cook , but that never interested me at all growing up so I never learned from her.  However living on your own requires that you learn especially if you can't afford to eat out all the time.  The fact that these girls can't/won't cook just screams laziness to me.  I'm a recipe follower myself, but it's not that hard if you're willing to put in the effort.  I am by no means a great cook, but I won't starve and my kids won't starve either (or be fed junk food 24/7).

• Love 9
On 5/19/2017 at 11:03 AM, Sew Sumi said:

Stupid middle-aged cow. She should know that at her advanced (mid-late 50's) age. Geezus.

I iz in that age group. Luckily, my brain is still in functional shape.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Michelle was 17 when she got married, straight out of high school. I'm sure she and JimBob played house for the first years until Josh was born, then she just kept popping them out. Wasn't her laundry room melt down when she had 5 kids and then she had all sorts of help until Jana was old enough to start raising her siblings? Michelle has zero home making skills, and her poor daughters got dribs and drabs from random helpers thru the years, undoubtedly undermined by Michelle all along the way. It's a miracle Jana did as well as she did and each daughter down the line seems to have less and less skills. Kelly actually raised her kids and taught them skills.

• Love 2

Laundry room breakdown was when #7, which I think is Joseph, was about 6 months old. There is an 18 month gap between him and Josiah after having 3 kids basically back to back: Jessa/Jinger/Joe, all 13 months apart. She really had no time to fucking rest her body, and they were living off church charity. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She really had no time to fucking rest her body, and they were living off church charity. 

Dave Ramsey the financial guru of the fundies would not have approved of Jim Boob living off charity or investing lots of money in his failed running for office campaign.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Laundry room breakdown was when #7, which I think is Joseph, was about 6 months old. There is an 18 month gap between him and Josiah after having 3 kids basically back to back: Jessa/Jinger/Joe, all 13 months apart. She really had no time to fucking rest her body, and they were living off church charity. 

It's no wonder MEchelle lost her mind.  If I had given birth to even one child 13 months after the previous child, I would tell Mr Tabloid he wasn't allowed to even LOOK at me, let alone touch me.   And he would be fine with that (until one of us got fixed or on surefire bc) because....... HE ACTUALLY RAISED OUR CHILD WITH ME -  HANDS ON AND EVERYTHING.   Unheard of in Boob's world, I know.  

• Love 6

three kids with two 13-month gaps among them (and four other kids, of course, including a set of twins); homeschooling them, which had begun at that point; eating food donations that get left on your porch; and Jim Bob being ... Jim Bob

I think I might have run out of that laundry room and just kept on running. 

It's often speculated that Meeechelle is the mastermind bitch in the couple who's always really run the show. But I have a hard time seeing how a bossy controller would ever let herself get into this situation. And then, after a "breakdown" of some sort over it, she just let this train keep rolling. With 12  more.  

I realize that somehow she has had her ego fed by being known as the person who "gave birth to every one of them." But I have a hard time seeing how that could have motivated her to want this and actively participate in creating this situation. Especially in these early days when she didn't have enough kids to really brag about. The "I gave birth to every one of them" doesn't really resonate when it's "just" seven. 

Very hard for me to fathom what was going on in this couple's heads at this point. And, really, how you could go on churning kids out like wildfire after already succumbing to a -- perfectly understandable -- crackup over the situation that already existed. Could she have been somehow guilted into it? That seems to me as if it could be a possibility .... but only because I can't really think of another one.

And what kind of guilt? Jesus demands this? (He does?) You were a shameless hussy, Michelle, so to make up for it you must be a supermother to end all supermothers because it's what I, Jim Bob who rescued you from sin, really want? What? What? What? 

What would motivate you to whiz pass the seven mark -- which was already driving you mad -- and head into truly astronomical numerical territory? Michelle doesn't seem to actually even like kids. And she surely couldn't have thought her family was prospering. And yet presumably she was initially attracted to Jim Bob at least partly because he was a fourth-generation real-estate person with some money and standing in the community. And now they're reduced to charity boxes. Surely not what she signed up for. 

I really can't imagine what they thought they were doing at this time. 

• Love 16

Wow, they REALLY blocked all social media of this wedding.  It's been 5 days and we only have a handful of pictures.  

Wonder what Jim Bob's plan is? I always wonder what 'da F goes on in Jim Bob's head.  I would love to sit in on a meeting with Jim Bob and hear his incoherent ramblings about making money through his TLC "ministry".  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's often speculated that Meeechelle is the mastermind bitch in the couple who's always really run the show. But I have a hard time seeing how a bossy controller would ever let herself get into this situation. And then, after a "breakdown" of some sort over it, she just let this train keep rolling. With 12  more.  

I realize that somehow she has had her ego fed by being known as the person who "gave birth to every one of them." But I have a hard time seeing how that could have motivated her to want this and actively participate in creating this situation. Especially in these early days when she didn't have enough kids to really brag about. The "I gave birth to every one of them" doesn't really resonate when it's "just" seven. 

I'm one that thinks that Michelle is...well, not a mastermind, but not a downtrodden fundie wife being controlled by her husband, either. I've always felt that Jim Bob is the more emotionally invested in that marriage, and if Michelle had wanted to, she could have stopped the baby making with very little protest from JB pretty easily.  What got Michelle is good old fashioned fanaticism followed by the taste of power. She kept having children after her breakdown because sanity, comfort, and financial security be damned--GothardJesus said to keep having babies, so that's what she was going to do. And then when she started getting all this attention for the number of kids and how well-behaved/beaten into submission they were, it became something she actively wanted for herself. 

• Love 12

This one just makes me sad.  Joy is only 19, and, I get the impression she is a very "young" 19.  She seemed to be the first casualty of the SOTDRT- I remember an episode where she was struggling to read a book that was clearly meant for much younger children.  I don't know if she needed more individual attention with her schoolwork or if she and the lost boys just found ways to weasel out of it.  Clearly Michelle was just phoning it in at that point.  Not to be cruel, because it isn't her fault, but I cannot see her homeschooling her own kids.

I honestly thought she was not much of a kool-aid drinker. Maybe she just wanted to get out, and this was her only way to do so.  Hopefully she won't get knocked up on the honeymoon.  

I am just going to say it- I think that Jim Bob was on a mission to get all of the "damaged" daughters (aka Josh's victims) married off ASAP.

This family just makes me feel ill.

• Love 15
(edited)

I'm flabbergasted that the dress is the best that the expensive, famous designer could make for her.  Jana could have sewn something better.

And Joy's hair?  Really, what can be said?  Words fail me. 

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 4

Joy really should have had an updo for her wedding day.  That photo was probably taken hours after her hair was "done", and has clearly fallen flat.  I can sympathize, my hair always falls flat, but for that reason, when my 'do needs to last all day I almost always put it up.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Portia said:

I'm 34 and didn't know there was a difference between mayo and miracle whip until my sophomore year in college.  We were a miracle whip house, plain mayo was never in our fridge.  To this day my mom will claim they are the same.  For Christmas I wanted to make a dip that used mayo and my mom was bringing the ingredients because I was flying. She brought miracle whip. She says it's the same and will just be a bit tangy.  No mom, NO - totally NOT the same thing lol  

• Love 7

Joy's hair!  On her wedding day!  So plain and not even shampooed and shiny looking!

Churchhoney, about Michelle birthing 12 MORE kids after her laundry room meltdown, she is simply addicted to pregnancy and childbirth!  Several times, on the shows, she stated that she willingly endured endless births, because she loved the prize at the finale.  A Precious Sweet Baby!!! And after a few months, she needed that feeling all over again, so she weaned early, pawned the baby over to the next in line sister mom, and began being Joyfully Available all over again.

She is probably one of those mom's who feels wonderful with pregnancy hormones flooding her bloodstream, but we know she doesn't really have a Heart For Children.

• Love 10

The difference between Jinger and Joy is really visible . Like nobody really cared about Joy in this because it's just a business transaction . At least Jinger looked like she wanted to jump Babe's bones .

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, lianau said:

The difference between Jinger and Joy is really visible . Like nobody really cared about Joy in this because it's just a business transaction . At least Jinger looked like she wanted to jump Babe's bones .

Nobody cared much about Joy because there was just nothing to care about.  She had no interests, no hobbies, and no clear area of responsibility in the household.  The TLC crew had to make up things for her to do, like go tag along with Sierra (who looks old enough to be her mother).

She's only 19, but she finished Tabitha's homeschooling at age 16.  For three years she's never done anything interesting.  She's just blah.

Some people, if not most people, are just not reality show material and Joy is one of those people. 

People liked Jinger because she was occasionally funny, would hold a camera on her lap instead of a baby, and would sometimes roll her eyes instead of "joyfully submitting" to the Duggar crap.

0 0 1 Joy and Sierra.jpg

• Love 9
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Joy's hair!  On her wedding day!  So plain and not even shampooed and shiny looking!

Churchhoney, about Michelle birthing 12 MORE kids after her laundry room meltdown, she is simply addicted to pregnancy and childbirth!  Several times, on the shows, she stated that she willingly endured endless births, because she loved the prize at the finale.  A Precious Sweet Baby!!! And after a few months, she needed that feeling all over again, so she weaned early, pawned the baby over to the next in line sister mom, and began being Joyfully Available all over again.

She is probably one of those mom's who feels wonderful with pregnancy hormones flooding her bloodstream, but we know she doesn't really have a Heart For Children.

All this. As soon as Michelle had volunteers helping her with laundry, cleaning, etc., and the sister moms were big enough to have buddies, life became much easier for Michelle, if all she had to do was get pregnant and talk about being pregnant. She could ignore her other kids and focus on the new blessing, then pass it off as soon as it became 6 months old and at that more active and vocal stage. The more babies she had, the less she had to do with everybody else, plus she got a TV show and tons of attention.

• Love 7

Joy also got very little media hype.

Jinger got TONS of hype to the point where it is obnoxious. You'd think Jinger was the only girl in the world to get married.  I guess because her wedding was the golden ticket to renew Counting On. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

Nobody cared much about Joy because there was just nothing to care about.  She had no interests, no hobbies, and no clear area of responsibility in the household.  The TLC crew had to make up things for her to do, like go tag along with Sierra (who looks old enough to be her mother).

She's only 19, but she finished Tabitha's homeschooling at age 16.  For three years she's never done anything interesting.  She's just blah.

Some people, if not most people, are just not reality show material and Joy is one of those people. 

People liked Jinger because she was occasionally funny, would hold a camera on her lap instead of a baby, and would sometimes roll her eyes instead of "joyfully submitting" to the Duggar crap.

0 0 1 Joy and Sierra.jpg

Wasn't Joy 18 and the boy twins 17 when they had their joint graduation? I swear it was just last year.