Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I don't have a problem with Joy getting married so young because it's not like she going to get any life experiences living at home. Cleaning the house, supervising the younger kids homeschooling, and babysitting her nieces and nephews, as well as being treated like a minor child, were all she had to look forward to until she got married. Marriage is the only path to adult for her at any age, it may as well be 19 as 29. 

I live in the Pacific Northwest and growing up the wedding receptions included cake, punch, nut cups, and occasionally veggie and fruit trays. My sister's wedding, in 1995 was the first one I went to that included a catered meal. I felt bad b/c I left my DH & 5 kids at home w/o telling my sister, who had to pay for 6 extra meals. Since then, it's been about half/half whether there's a meal or just cake and goodies.

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

No pics yet of the whole wedding party?

Why are the Duggars so weird about shoes? Jinger pulled together something cute for herself, but then everyone always wears casual brown sandals. It's not hard or expensive to buy some cute metallics like the pic above. I wear better shoes to walk the dog. 

I think if you grew up wearing used shoes from the thrift shop, though, you just have a different attitude about shoes and you probably don't even notice that your attitude is different from that of a lot of people. 

Clothing attitudes, I've noticed, often are set in childhood and just go with you. In my family, for example, decent clothes were for wearing to outside events, such as school, work, church, etc., and when you were home you wore really old ratty stuff that was gradually making its way to the rubbish bin. If you were going to run to the store on a 15-minute errand, you changed into nicer clothes and then out of them again, for example. The instant we got home from anywhere we changed into really old stuff. To this day, I feel really weird and awkward wearing anything newish or nice or attractive in my house, I can just barely make myself do it, and most of the time I don't. 

One result: You often freak out when the doorbell rings. 

Another result: People die or make their last trip to the hospital in clothes that look like they belong to a homeless person. Meanwhile, home in the drawers and closets are very nice, freshly laundered and ironed, attractive stuff that has been worn only very lightly. 

It's nuts, but it's what feels natural. 

Thinking it may be similar with Duggar shoes. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Joy is Derick's sister-in-law and Austin is his co-brother. Is this a thing?

Derick Dillard

@derick4Him

Congrats to my sister-in-law, Joy and newest co-brother, Austin on your nuptials! Have fun, and may the Lord bless y'all as you seek Him!

2:33 PM - 28 May 2017

At least Jeremy called Austin his new BIL in his latest IG post. Derelict is just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if it sticks.

• Love 2

The term "Co-brother" sounds to me like when 2 guys pair up to be "brothers" to a girl that has no actual brothers, so they both fill the role.  *LOL*

These people have truly shown me things I've never seen or heard of.  And that is NOT a compliment.  

• Love 5

I had to look it up, lol.

People in India, especially South India, use the terms ‘co-brother’ and ‘co-brother-in-law’ to refer to one’s wife’s sister’s husband. Native speakers of English do not use these terms. Instead, they prefer to use ‘brother-in-law’. This term is usually used to refer to one’s wife’s brother, or one’s sister’s husband. It can also be used to refer to one’s wife’s sister’s husband. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Shocked they didn't stick Jana at that table. 

Why do I think Jana was at the table doing all the work/heavy lifting & Michelle shoved her out of the way for the photo.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

To this day, I feel really weird and awkward wearing anything newish or nice or attractive in my house, I can just barely make myself do it, and most of the time I don't. 

I'm the same way. I can't sit around the house in "good clothes." I pretty much live in sweats and yoga pants until I have to change to go outaide. I also have a 180 lb. Mastiff who considers himself a lap dog, so I don't want drool and hair getting on my nice stuff.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jill has the ability to look good when she wants. I like the lace navy dresses from Deena's wedding, maybe Jill should have had this dress altered by Jana. She could have just cut out a big circle for the belly and sewed on a big doily over it.

20170529_085234.png

They look like they should be wearing go-go boots. 

• Love 20

So were we allowed to see Jill's knees in that bridesmaid dress because she's a twice knocked-up, old, married lady that inspires ZERO thoughts of lust in the hearts of randy males?  

I actually think the dress has kind of a cute, 70's vibe to it that works with Jill's "style". 

I think the bride hired a hair dresser to deal with Jill's hair and probably make up.  She picked the dress and the accessories and possibly suggested shoes.  I don't think Jill could manage half that look on her own. 

• Love 14
(edited)
21 minutes ago, leighdear said:

So were we allowed to see Jill's knees in that bridesmaid dress because she's a twice knocked-up, old, married lady that inspires ZERO thoughts of lust in the hearts of randy males?  

I actually think the dress has kind of a cute, 70's vibe to it that works with Jill's "style". 

I think we're allowed to see Jill's knees because Deena wanted her bridesmaids to look a certain way and Jill complied. I do think it's a good sign -- however tiny -- that she wouldn't pull an all-out Duggar holier-than-everyone refusenik antic when asked to dress non-Gothard. Because I'm sure JB or M would. And feel oh so holy doing it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, louannems said:

Of course, Miracle Josie gets to sit next to mommy.

The fact that MEchelle only mentions Miracle pisses me off so much.  Does she not realize she has other daughters sitting at the table? Poor Jordan is used to being ignored.  Hannie is sitting up nice and pretty because she is the next to be auctioned off.  I do despise MEchelle. 

Plastic plastic plastic.  OMG.  

• Love 15
(edited)
28 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I love this dress so much - the color,  the sleeves, the lace, it's all a home run for me. It does scream 1970s. And to me it's one of those rare cases where the "you can wear it again" bridesmaids dress philosophy actually works. I could see this being worn to a nice formal occasion, maybe a future wedding. I'm not nuts about the hair but it looks much more pulled together and out of Jill's face than she usually wears. The shoes don't really go with the dress. I'm thinking they should have gone whole hog and actually worn the go-go boots. It would look adorable.

Overall the whole effect beats all of the Duggar bridesmaids' dresses by a country mile. I wonder if Deena had more time to plan. It would explain how the nice the dresses look. I saw in another photo that Derick wore that ugly, shiny suit he wore to his own wedding and completely threw off the whole nice vibe of Jill's look.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm the same way. I can't sit around the house in "good clothes." I pretty much live in sweats and yoga pants until I have to change to go outaide. I also have a 180 lb. Mastiff who considers himself a lap dog, so I don't want drool and hair getting on my nice stuff.

Me too. My family always wears t-shirts, shorts, and bare feet in the house, no makeup, and hair in a messy bun. In the winter, it's sweatshirts, athletic pants, and heavy socks. One thing I've always felt sorry for the duggars for is that they will never know the feeling of lounging clothes. They have to wear skirts alllllllll the time, and I can't imagine never being able to sit on the couch, slouch down, and watch TV in ratty shorts. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

41 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think we're allowed to see Jill's knees because Deena wanted her bridesmaids to look a certain way and Jill complied. I do think it's a good sign -- however tiny -- that she wouldn't pull an all-out Duggar holier-than-everyone refusenik antic when asked to dress non-Gothard. Because I'm sure JB or M would. And feel oh so holy doing it.

Or, it's possible for anyone in the world who displays the tiniest bit of spine to make Jill bend to their will like a weak reed...

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

The fact that MEchelle only mentions Miracle pisses me off so much.  Does she not realize she has other daughters sitting at the table? Poor Jordan is used to being ignored.  Hannie is sitting up nice and pretty because she is the next to be auctioned off.  I do despise MEchelle. 

Plastic plastic plastic.  OMG.  

There's a Hannie?

tm Meeeechelle Duggar

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Or, it's possible for anyone in the world who displays the tiniest bit of spine to make Jill bend to their will like a weak reed...

Well, I'd rather see her that way than see her be "Gothard or bust"! 

I may be crazy, but I still hold out hope that Jill, Jessa and Jinger can open up their minds gradually over the years, just the teeniest bit at a time, as they're exposed to new experiences because of being married, going places that aren't the TTH, etc. Here's Jill learning that she can wear a non-Gothard look and the heavens won't fall and she won't see mobs of defrauded spiritual brothers crawling off into the bushes to commit sin because she showed them her impurity. She's got what looks to me like a fairly genuine smile on her face. 

And while I'd like to clobber the various Duggarlings for not having spines, I know it's not their fault really. To be a person born without terminal stubbornness and then be raised by a JB and M, you're going to have severe spine problems.

But if they don't get pushed into some new experiences, then they'll never have a chance to realize that there's a world outside the horrible little desert they've been raised in! You either have a spine that's really really strong, and then you can insist on having your own experiences, but if you don't and you're raised in one of these brainwashing situations, you have to be dragged into the new experiences. Obviously it's preferable to have the spine, but I'd rather see them having the new experiences, even with the dragging. Eventually that can get them to change. It's the only thing that will, actually, I think, if you're not lucky enough to be born very very angry and very very stubborn. ... And that has its own problems, too! 

• Love 6

I think the only way that any of them will open up their minds is if JB and Michelle are not in the picture.  I would say another way would be when the TLC money runs out but TLC has provided them the opportunity to travel to places I can only dream of going and they didn't learn a thing.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

I think the only way that any of them will open up their minds is if JB and Michelle are not in the picture.  I would say another way would be when the TLC money runs out but TLC has provided them the opportunity to travel to places I can only dream of going and they didn't learn a thing.

In the largest sense, I think you're right. But there is such a thing as a very very gradual opening of the mind. And that can happen even with JB and M still breathing and TLC still filming, I'm pretty sure. Although probably not for anyone who can't get away and have some other influences, the way Jill and Jinger are doing. Jessa spends too much time too close to the TTH, I'm afraid. Emphasis, of course, on: very very gradual... But given the mess they're in, very very gradual is still better than nothing at all, I think. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

So the Rodriguesseesses  were a no-show? According to Jill's Facebook page, the family is off in Ohio torturing some church with their "music" for a whole week. 

Or were they just not invited this time?  

Maybe they just chose what appeared to be a hotter grifting possibility? At the wedding people would have had to give stuff to the Duggarling. So, fewer people feeling sorry for the starving Rodrigui and offering to help them out? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

So the Rodriguesseesses  were a no-show? According to Jill's Facebook page, the family is off in Ohio torturing some church with their "music" for a whole week. 

Or were they just not invited this time?  

I doubt if they were invited. Jill R would crawl over broken glass (or more likely ride on the backs of her children as they crawled over broken glass) to attend a Duggar event.

My guess is that she pissed Jim Bob off at Jinger's wedding by approaching the TLC staffers who were there, trying to interest them in a reality show for her family. Jim Bob is on shaky ground already, he doesn't need any more competition. Or maybe she kept pestering him and Michelle by trying to broker a courtship between Nuri and one of the Duggar sons.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Jim Bob is on shaky ground already, he doesn't need any more competition.

Jill R would be GREAT for Duggar ratings.  Jim Bob should do everything he can to get them on the show.  Which basically means tell them when taping is and leave the gate open.  They'd be there in their stink bus in a flash! 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Jill R would be GREAT for Duggar ratings.  Jim Bob should do everything he can to get them on the show.  Which basically means tell them when taping is and leave the gate open.  They'd be there in their stink bus in a flash! 

YES!

This Joy snooze fest, followed by the (even worse), Joe snooze fest is...zzzzzz oh sorry forgot my point.

• Love 4

I knew Jill would get pregnant as fast as she could, and that Jessa would not be far behind once she got married..  I totally expected it and I was prepared.  And then I hoped (and still hope) that Jinger will enjoy just being a couple for a while and not rush into getting pregnant.  Higher hopes for her, I guess.  But I won't cry my eyes out when she inevitably announces she is expecting. And I know it's coming.

But there is something about the idea of Joy getting pregnant that sort of bums me out.  She is a freakin' KID.  I just dread the day that she appears with a baby bump in some dumb picture and begins that ride into brood mare oblivion that seems to await all the girls.  For some reason I feel differently about her.  Maybe it is because I remember her being very small, whereas the other three were at least tweens by the time I started (semi) watching this show...? I don't know,  Joy just still seems like a child to me.  Maybe because she is.

I just hope she manages to live with her new husband for a year or two before she breeds.  Just to give her some time to become more of a grown up and get some small inkling of who she really is.  I'd have wished a gap year abroad for her, followed by a college education, but ... lol, yeah.  That ain't gonna happen.  So the best I can hope for with her is that she didn't get pregnant on her honeymoon and won't be big pregnant by Christmas.  That would be so wrong for a girl who still believes in Santa Claus! 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

I am sort of new to this shitstorm, but who is Deena?

That 70's looking stuff was popular when I was in junior high.  I kind of like it.

That's Jill's sister-in-law, the girl who recently married Derick Dillard's brother.

2 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I knew Jill would get pregnant as fast as she could, and that Jessa would not be far behind once she got married..  I totally expected it and I was prepared.  And then I hoped (and still hope) that Jinger will enjoy just being a couple for a while and not rush into getting pregnant.  Higher hopes for her, I guess.  But I won't cry my eyes out when she inevitably announces she is expecting. And I know it's coming.

But there is something about the idea of Joy getting pregnant that sort of bums me out.  She is a freakin' KID.  I just dread the day that she appears with a baby bump in some dumb picture and begins that ride into brood mare oblivion that seems to await all the girls.  For some reason I feel differently about her.  Maybe it is because I remember her being very small, whereas the other three were at least tweens by the time I started (semi) watching this show...? I don't know,  Joy just still seems like a child to me.  Maybe because she is.

I just hope she manages to live with her new husband for a year or two before she breeds.  Just to give her some time to become more of a grown up and get some small inkling of who she really is.  I'd have wished a gap year abroad for her, followed by a college education, but ... lol, yeah.  That ain't gonna happen.  So the best I can hope for with her is that she didn't get pregnant on her honeymoon and won't be big pregnant by Christmas.  That would be so wrong for a girl who still believes in Santa Claus! 

Me too.

81ffb5b559194106564990f0a5cb50dc.jpg

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I just hope she manages to live with her new husband for a year or two before she breeds.  

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but what would happen if one of the tribe can't conceive?  With a brood that large, it is very possible that at least one or two are not as fertile as MEchelle.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thank you.  I didn't recognize the name.  So the Dillards aren't full-on fundie?  

The Dillards were not homeschooled and both sons went to college.  There are many kinds of Baptist churches and I think they went to a more 'normal' one.  Anyway, their mother (Miss Cathy) went to college and worked as an accountant in the corporate offices of Walmart.  She wears slacks, etc.  So, no, she's not a Gothard fundie like the Duggars.  

• Love 3

The groom isn't from a large family, so maybe they will be influenced by that model. Joy will expect to produce many new cast members, but maybe Austen will prefer to have a more manageable brood. Since Joy doesn't like math, Austen can estimate up when he tells her the family number. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Me too. My family always wears t-shirts, shorts, and bare feet in the house, no makeup, and hair in a messy bun. In the winter, it's sweatshirts, athletic pants, and heavy socks. One thing I've always felt sorry for the duggars for is that they will never know the feeling of lounging clothes. They have to wear skirts alllllllll the time, and I can't imagine never being able to sit on the couch, slouch down, and watch TV in ratty shorts. 

I grew up IFB (lite) and wore skirts all the time. I still wear skirts a lot now.  I have ratty skirts that I wear just like ratty old shorts! You would be surprised at how comfortable I am in my old, stretched out skirts!  :)  I have dress skirts, work skirts, ratty skirts...all kinds of skirts. And jeans.  I have those too. 

But yes, the Duggars often do look "dressed up" and stiff. I totally know what you mean.  I've noticed it too. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Mollie said:

The Dillards were not homeschooled and both sons went to college.  There are many kinds of Baptist churches and I think they went to a more 'normal' one.  Anyway, their mother (Miss Cathy) went to college and worked as an accountant in the corporate offices of Walmart.  She wears slacks, etc.  So, no, she's not a Gothard fundie like the Duggars.  

However, we must not forget that Miss Cathy believes that her cancer was the Devil invading her body, and God cast it out. Her tweets illustrate that she is definitely more extreme now than she appears to have been when she raised Derick and Dan. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but what would happen if one of the tribe can't conceive?  With a brood that large, it is very possible that at least one or two are not as fertile as MEchelle.  

It will become a storyline to be exploited like it has with Michael Bates Keilen on Bringing Up Bates. We underestimate just what these folks will do for money; I remember one episode were Alyssa was pitying Michael's childlessness as she rubbed her very pregnant with baby #2 belly. I can't even imagine the intrusive questions she's fielding from every angle and how much pressure she must feel, especially when a sister she basically raised has already lapped her twice in the "womanhood" department (because fundies don't consider you a full woman until you've bred ugh). At least Jana is single so there's an "excuse" as to why she's not procreating. I would never want to be in Michael's place. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Or gay. In a group that large someone is bound to be.

• Love 9

I have learned one important thing in watching the Duggar Weddings....

Shoes really do show in pictures! 

In real life, you don't notice them so much.  In pictures?  Bad shoes, or flip flops, can really ruin a picture. 

(Jessa, you can use that for your little Modesty Conference) (Oh, wait, Jessa always has on crappy shoes...)

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Clothing attitudes, I've noticed, often are set in childhood and just go with you. In my family, for example, decent clothes were for wearing to outside events, such as school, work, church, etc., and when you were home you wore really old ratty stuff that was gradually making its way to the rubbish bin. If you were going to run to the store on a 15-minute errand, you changed into nicer clothes and then out of them again, for example. The instant we got home from anywhere we changed into really old stuff. To this day, I feel really weird and awkward wearing anything newish or nice or attractive in my house, I can just barely make myself do it, and most of the time I don't. 

This is Me ... I wear the worst ever clothes at home but change to go out anywhere. i can't wear 'goo. Clothes at home, I can't relax. If we have people over I wear good things, but I'm never completely comfortable

Do we know Jill had a choice in shoes? 

• Love 2

I can't help but picture how awkward that wedding night must have been. Two kids with no idea what is going on. It doesn't help that Austin looks like the actor who played the Josh character in the spoof Duggar youtube series. He's like a more naive George Michael Bluth.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

There's a Hannie?

tm Meeeechelle Duggar

Somebody really needs to to a mug shot spreadsheet for the younger Duggarlings . Josiah is the last one I can identify .

• Love 2