Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I always had the thought in the back of my mind that Jana and John might end up as a modern-day Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. They end up living together and become foster parents to numerous children throughout their lifetime. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

And in a very non-Flowers in the Attic way.  For those not familiar with Anne of Green Gables. 

• Love 17
(edited)

My catholic family did big dinner receptions no matter what time of day. My sister got married at 10am and we ate, danced, and drank all afternoon. A cousin married a gal whose family didn't drink alcohol. My uncle sent someone out for cases of champagne. Not cool for what the bride and groom decided on, but some drunk Catholics can't settle. :) 

How do you have a wedding without drunk uncle (shoutout Bobby Moynihan)? 

I'm also of the belief that marriage is the best thing for Joy. At least she's not "just home helping with the kids" - which is what she said were her post grad plans. I mean, face it ... it's never going to change unless Jim Bob kicks it before the little kids are grown and it becomes super easy to ignore Michelle. 

Joy looks pretty, but it's making me itchy. Like she hates those sleeves. I think she would have been youthful and cute in short sleeves like Jessa's dress. The perfect thing for her would be to join her husband in a house flipping/fixer upper type thing. Jim Bob could even get some special on TLC. But Joy doesn't seem to be interested in anything. Maybe this guy can get her going with chainsaws. She's not a girly girl and probably wouldn't care about babies if not for her F'ing family.  

Bridesmaid dresses! It would have been cute to go casual. How about flowery and not necessarily matching modest summer dresses? That dark blue with random jewelry. Yikes

Edited by EmeraldGirl
  • Love 9

How about some common sense when planning a wedding. Weather, season, time of day, indoor/outdoor, formal/informal, etc. and go from there. No matter how big or how little the budget is, a cohesive wedding is more pleasant. We are all hard wired to make sense of our world with patterns and categories. These weddings have me all over the place.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

We are all hard wired to make sense of our world with patterns and categories. These weddings have me all over the place.

This is it exactly.  SO many contradictions.  

We want to be cheap, but YOU can't be cheap.  We pretend we don't like to show off, yet we LOVE to show off.  We say being godly is important, yet we contribute NOTHING of worth to others in his name.  

The logic contortions necessary to live and think as a Dugger must be mentally exhausting.  Or they're all just idiots.  

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, who predicted that Joy would have a formal wedding? That's right, nobody. 

And I'll never forget Anna sing-songing the Gothardism: "Practice makes progress, and progress makes babies." Even not considering the second half of that ditty, I see no progress in weddings in which Duggars had primary control. 

Can't wait to see how bad Kendra's wedding will be. No Duggar cash. What does a preacher at a small IFB church working as a part-time mechanic supporting a wife and seven kids have to spend? Certainly won't be a thousand person blowout with an after party lasting until the wee hours.

Well, since Jim Bob is a member of Paster Caldwell's church, he'll probably make a donation before the wedding.  Or, at least he would loan the kids some money until they got the wedding write-up in People magazine.

But, I don't think that little church will hold 1,000 people.  They would have to hold the wedding somewhere else.

Duggar Official has a close-up pic of Boob and Joy at the rehearsal and it looks like Joy had her teeth professionally whitened for the big event. She always had the same yellowish teeth as her brothers and now they look like Michelle's.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Speaking of registries, I just checked the Forsyths, and Austin didn't get any of his power tools. They didn't get the tents either, but they did get 2/3 sleeping bags. 

I believe he actually did get a lot of power tools and many of the things on the origional list.  The Registry now just shows the items they asked for which were not purchased.  

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Hey, Michelle,

Were you too busy putting in your hair extensions to comb Josie's hair for the wedding?

0 0 1 Josie.png

Her hair looks greasy and gross.  What is wrong with these people?  This is a rhetorical question.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I was alive when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but I don't remember it clearly. Seems to me, though, that once upon a time almost all weddings were cake-punch-maybe-spiked-maybe-not-mints-and-maybe-a-nut-cup? At least weddings with more than a dozen and a half or so in attendance, anyway?

I also vaguely remember the first reception-is-dinner-or-almost-a-dinner wedding invitation I got and that I thought the late-afternoon timing was really odd. Like "We'd better eat a big lunch because we'll have nothing but cake to gnaw on until around 10 o'clock that night." Took me awhile to figure out that we'd be fed as part of the invite. In the lateish '70s, I guess? ... And I doubt I was really pleased at the idea of hanging out at the event for so many hours either, even with a dinner, actually. I'm still not, for big weddings. It's okay with small ones where I know most people. Otherwise ... not really.

Since fundie tends to mean bring-back-the-'50s-or-earlier, I'm guessing that cake and punch continue to make sense on those grounds.

I, too, am an old timer.  Also Roman Catholic and raised in a Midwestern city.  I can remember going to lots of weddings as a kid and all of them included a meal and drinking and dancing.  I was flower girl for my aunt and uncle (married 54 years this fall-yikes!). They had a morning wedding (Catholics generally don't do Saturday evening weddings, partly because there is often a Sunday vigil Mass but also because most churches had a rule against it back in the day).  We then went our separate ways during the daytime to re-convene at a party center that evening for a full buffet meal and dancing with a live band.  Except for those who eloped or had a hurried wedding (ie, 'premature' baby on the way); I cannot think of any wedding with invited guests where nothing but cake and punch was served.  Maybe cold sandwiches and potato salad if there wasn't much money; but it would've generally been considered tacky to have a reception and not feed your guests.

One of my aunts actually had a full breakfast in the church hall after her wedding followed by a full dinner at the reception that evening with a couple hundred guests for each.

• Love 9
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I believe he actually did get a lot of power tools and many of the things on the origional list.  The Registry now just shows the items they asked for which were not purchased.  

I saw purchased items. They were grayed out. Now I am confused. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone? It presents differently than when I'mon my laptop.

Edited by Sew Sumi
35 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Hey, Michelle,

Were you too busy putting in your hair extensions to comb Josie's hair for the wedding?

0 0 1 Josie.png

Is Josie wearing a Michelle mini-me dress?

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Duggar Official has a close-up pic of Boob and Joy at the rehearsal and it looks like Joy had her teeth professionally whitened for the big event. She always had the same yellowish teeth as her brothers and now they look like Michelle's.

"Here is us at the rehearsal." 

Who writes this shit?

• Love 9

I'm attending a wedding this summer. Those invited can stay over night Friday and Saturday, at the venue, elsewhere, or commute. It's going to be a chunk of change. Any way, I'm really looking forward to it. Friday night there will be a bbq, the wedding is Saturday and then all are invited to my Aunt and Uncle's, it's their daughter getting married, to another bbq and to send the couple on their way. It's all at a "rustic" place, barn and all, and it is perfect for this particular couple.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I was alive when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but I don't remember it clearly. Seems to me, though, that once upon a time almost all weddings were cake-punch-maybe-spiked-maybe-not-mints-and-maybe-a-nut-cup? At least weddings with more than a dozen and a half or so in attendance, anyway?

I also vaguely remember the first reception-is-dinner-or-almost-a-dinner wedding invitation I got and that I thought the late-afternoon timing was really odd. Like "We'd better eat a big lunch because we'll have nothing but cake to gnaw on until around 10 o'clock that night." Took me awhile to figure out that we'd be fed as part of the invite. In the lateish '70s, I guess? ... And I doubt I was really pleased at the idea of hanging out at the event for so many hours either, even with a dinner, actually. I'm still not, for big weddings. It's okay with small ones where I know most people. Otherwise ... not really.

Since fundie tends to mean bring-back-the-'50s-or-earlier, I'm guessing that cake and punch continue to make sense on those grounds.

I got married in the early 70's, and it was a very minimal wedding, and a cheapie reception at 2:00 with cake, punch, mints and nuts.  That is what we could afford, and I actually borrowed my dress & veil.  No shame here, but we didn't invite 1,000 guests, and didn't expect many, or expensive gifts, either.  I'm so old I can't even remember when gift registries began!  Anyway, we're not fundies, and we're still married.

The thing that really bugs me about the fundie life is that it's so limiting, especially for the girls/women.  No choice for poor Joy other than to be a sex outlet for her man, and have baby after baby after baby.  I have female relatives that subscribe to that (bullshit, to me) and it makes me sad.  

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

"Here is us at the rehearsal." 

Who writes this shit?

Someone who was homeschooled at the Gothard academy and who never passed a GED.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'm so old I can't even remember when gift registries began!  

When I married, gift registries were only for your crystal, china and sterling silver flatware patterns.  Seriously!  

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 15
(edited)

If Joy wasn't busy getting laid atm, I'd guess she wrote that post. The only other part of "us" in that pic actually has a HS diploma.

If Jana or Mechelle wrote it, well, they should have worded it differently .

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I, too, am an old timer.  Also Roman Catholic and raised in a Midwestern city.  I can remember going to lots of weddings as a kid and all of them included a meal and drinking and dancing.  I was flower girl for my aunt and uncle (married 54 years this fall-yikes!). They had a morning wedding (Catholics generally don't do Saturday evening weddings, partly because there is often a Sunday vigil Mass but also because most churches had a rule against it back in the day).  We then went our separate ways during the daytime to re-convene at a party center that evening for a full buffet meal and dancing with a live band.  Except for those who eloped or had a hurried wedding (ie, 'premature' baby on the way); I cannot think of any wedding with invited guests where nothing but cake and punch was served.  Maybe cold sandwiches and potato salad if there wasn't much money; but it would've generally been considered tacky to have a reception and not feed your guests.

One of my aunts actually had a full breakfast in the church hall after her wedding followed by a full dinner at the reception that evening with a couple hundred guests for each.

Then I think my experience is because I didn't attend many weddings until after college and all the ones I did attend involved Protestants! They weren't parties. They were more like funeral reception lines except with a small slab of cake and a drink. Go through the reception line to congratulate whoever remains of the wedding party, try to eat rather than drop your snack while standing, greet a few relatives or acquaintances and leave is what I remember. Sounds like fun, eh? I had no idea that other stuff existed!

No wonder I don't really like weddings! I got off to a really boring start.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree the Duggars just don't give a rat's behind about their guests. Even if full sit-down dinners aren't the norm, they could at least do cake, beverages and deli trays. That's easy and more of a cohesive meal than ice cream and pickles. I just don't understand why Fundies are willing to pack up their fifteen kids and drive two days to go these crappy affairs. They must really be desperate for sociliazation, because it sure as hell isn't for the hospitality.

Because they have 15 children to sell to like minded people .

1 hour ago, Mollie said:

Hey, Michelle,

0 0 1 Josie.png

Josie always looks like an alien , she never gains weight and her hair looks unhealthy and thin .

Edited by lianau
  • Love 1

I don't hate Joy's dress nor do I love it.  It's a wedding dress and that's about all I can say about it.   

I am NOT a wedding person.  I was a bride like Joy (or what we guess Joy to be).  I picked a dress from about 5 dresses, did my own hair, own make up and own nails. I have spent more time getting ready for a family Christmas card photo.  (not kidding).  Carried daisies.   Had a small no fuss wedding.  We are going to be married 25 years next month. 

Joy's wedding seems plain compared to the sisters.  Maybe this is a positive thing?  At least she didn't get forced into foof & fluff that she didn't want. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Sick, but still humorous.

You might be onto something with a double wedding if Jana decides to get married. I think JD would probably agree to marry anyone they tell him to, too. There are plenty of Kendra-like sheep who'd jump at the chance to marry a Duggar. 

Maybe they can find a set of siblings to marry. JD can find a girl close in age who conveniently has a single older brother, or maybe another set of fundy twins close in age. 

• Love 1

I don't watch these people anymore, I keep up here and on Pickles on Facebook.  Your comments here are so much better than the actual show anyway.  

This marriage seriously makes me ill. She's just a baby!  She's had no real life experience in anything.  Nothing.   I can't imagine being such a young kid and going from never being alone with this person to suddenly being in bed with him.  I feel so damn bad for this kid who I'm sure felt that she had no choice in the matter. 

What would have happened if she had said no?  If she'd said she isn't ready to be married and just simply said no?  Would she be guilted into saying yes or threatened into saying yes?  

I just don't understand why they made her get married so young, I don't understand why they can't pick their own spouses and get married when they want. I don't understand why an engaged couple can't even go on a damn date alone.  If they think they've raised such moral, perfect children, why don't they trust them to go out alone with their fiancees?  Didn't Jim Boob even make Jill and Derek have a chaperone on their wedding day?  Is it all just about control for him?  

Finally, the thing I mostly don't understand is why none of these kids have told their parents to fuck the fuck off and go live the lives they choose for themselves.  

Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place.   This really makes me sick to my stomach. 

• Love 24
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Maybe they can find a set of siblings to marry. JD can find a girl close in age who conveniently has a single older brother, or maybe another set of fundy twins close in age. 

Or, they could simply chose to remain single.  That, too, is a lifestyle option.  Even for a Godardite.  Remember, that is what Tabitha said she was resigned to until the anal rapist came along.  And, Gothard is in his 80s and has never been married.  Jesus was always single and so was St. Paul, we are told.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Jim Bob would jump at that!

Double wedding = Ratings boost

9 minutes ago, lianau said:

Josie always looks like an alien , she never gains weight and her hair looks unhealthy and thin .

I agree and I think a lot of it has to do with the poor thing being raised on such a crap diet. Josie would probably look a lot better if she'd spent the last seven years eating fresh good instead of pizza and Fruity Pebbles. Her and Jordan are like the poster children for neglect.

• Love 9

I assume we can talk about all wedding stuff here, not just Joy and Austin?

Do I need to even say it?

Michelle's hair is horrendous, once again.    It ages her and is so unflattering.  Seems she tried to put some of it back in a half-up/half down style with 80's bangs.

Jim Bob looked like he aged quite a bit (Thanks to Josh) and gained some weight.  

15 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I don't hate Joy's dress nor do I love it.  It's a wedding dress and that's about all I can say about it.   

I am NOT a wedding person.  I was a bride like Joy (or what we guess Joy to be).  I picked a dress from about 5 dresses, did my own hair, own make up and own nails. I have spent more time getting ready for a family Christmas card photo.  (not kidding).  Carried daisies.   Had a small no fuss wedding.  We are going to be married 25 years next month. 

Joy's wedding seems plain compared to the sisters.  Maybe this is a positive thing?  At least she didn't get forced into foof & fluff that she didn't want. 

She could also be wearing cowboy boots. We haven't seen the dress below her hips.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Michelle's hair is horrendous, once again.    It ages her and is so unflattering.  Seems she tried to put some of it back in a half-up/half down style with 80's bangs.

I don't know if it's because Joy wasn't demanding pristine hair and makeup or what, but everyone looks rumpled and disheveled. Maybe as some noted, they were going for a loosey-goosey beach theme and failed miserably in the execution, but nobody seemed to put much effort into their appearance this time around. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I assume we can talk about all wedding stuff here, not just Joy and Austin?

Do I need to even say it?

Jim Bob looked like he aged quite a bit (Thanks to Josh) and gained some weight.  

Some posters have said Joy looked noticeably thinner as of late, but I haven't hate watched enough eps to decide.

That is another thing that pisses me off!  Weight gain (witness Josh) and now Boob is perfectly acceptable.  God forbid any of the women gain 5 or 10 extra pounds though, even after double-digit pregnancies and menopause.  Aaaarrrrgh!

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, MamaMax said:

I'm not sure that's out of the ordinary for some parts of the country, though.  I mean, the wedding is the point, especially to religious people.  

I've been to many northeastern  Irish and Italian Catholic weddings were the religious part was important, but it didn't stop them from having a kick ass reception with plenty of good food, wine, dancing, lots of laughter, & many happy memories.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She could also be wearing cowboy boots. We haven't seen the dress below her hips.

I bet she is!!!!  Good guess! 

Agree with the general feeling on the forums...the wedding looks very low key which is coming off as "Duggar Sloppy" on a few family members (not all). I guess with the Duggs, you really, really have to push and shove everyone into looking tip top best. 

We have only seen a few pictures but it seems a hair stylist would've helped the women with the long hair. I love long hair but for a wedding, maybe a professional should stye the long hair. Or a better hair stylist.  ;) 

7 hours ago, Booey said:

If I played a drinking game with those videos and "ya'll", I would be in the hospital right now.

Josiah needs to give it up with his hair and just shave his head already. That receding hairline ain't gonna go away, pal, sorry.

He's obviously nearly given up on the clothes. I'm surprised those pants aren't triple pleated. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Had to chime in to say my parents did that, too. It was mid 1950's, their families were not well-off, so maybe it was a "thing" at the time. Come to think of it, though, my mom was the youngest in her family, and we all know how spoiled they are. ???

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Beaner said:

Had to chime in to say my parents did that, too. It was mid 1950's, their families were not well-off, so maybe it was a "thing" at the time. Come to think of it, though, my mom was the youngest in her family, and we all know how spoiled they are. ???

This was 1962 and my aunt was youngest of 7 in a blue collar family.  I believe she and her fiancé helped pay for it; I don't think my grandparents could've handled the cost on their own.

• Love 1
Just now, ginger90 said:

I thought it was a shawl. I can't stand hash tags, that one I like, lol.

Is it a shawl or just ugly lace doily appliques on the sleeves since she's the MoH?

(edited)
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Is it a shawl or just ugly lace doily appliques on the sleeves since she's the MoH?

I suppose so, and the applique or whatever it is is butt ugly. She is also the only one in a long dress. All the other bridesmaids I've seen are in knee-length. 

Well, no one has ever accused either Jill or Joy of having good taste. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Lunera said:

They sure didn't give a fuck with this wedding, Jill wore flip flops and an ugly shawl while walking down the aisle.

Flip flops???? Friggin flip flops????  That's more redneck than redneck, meaning:  you wouldn't even see that on the Honey Boo Boo show.  Joy must have inherited the stupid gene from both of her parents to come up with that choice.  I've never even seen that on weddings which were actually held on a beach, inside or outside of the U.S.  Nobody, but nobody does that.  Nice sandals would not have even been appropriate with a dress like that.  

0 0 1 fashion.jpg

• Love 16