Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I was surprised they weren't advertising  Boob or sons as featured speakers.

Is this the retreat where the females of the attendee father/sons  have to cook, clean & serve?  Isn't it where we saw Joy pictured serving food? 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

The Forsyth-Duggar alliance is good for both families. As much as they claim Joy and Austin were "friends for years", I think this was an arranged marriage. I wonder which one is more arranged: Joy/Austin or JoKen? Meaning, would either of these Duggar kids have chosen their spouse on their own without their fathers making an agreement? 

It's hard to judge as we haven't seen much of Kendra yet but I would bet probably JoKen. Since Austin and Joy have been in the same social circle for years, Austin probably thought she was pretty, and had a crush on her for a while before broaching the subject with JB and his Dad. Despite how fundy these people are, they do have some normal interactions- if every time Austin saw Joy she was making stink eyes at him and blowing him off he would've never asked to court her. I think they had some natural attraction and familiarity between them. 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2017 at 9:08 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Who knows what goes through the minds of the teenage leghumpers who dig up this stuff? I'm sure for this sad little girl that Joy's PDA IS a relationship #goal. 

Maybe in retrospect, part of the conversation of the segment, revolved around the actions Joy took to make *her own* #goal of marrying Austin come true.

Otherwise it just sounds weird and ill-advised, like the teenager is jealous of Joy and thinks marrying Austin herself would have made a good aspirational #goal.

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Hashtags rarely make any sense to me. And get off my lawn.

Not necessarily, sometimes they're just lame and the young don't know how to choose them. ;P  I'm pretty sure a big point of "tagging", is so posts can in fact be found in a grouping by similarly minded individuals or people who have already posted about stuff pertaining to the hashtags.  Hashtagging #finalfour or even something random like #recliner, for example, I can see; because then you'd expect to find people talking about the Final Four, or pictures of people relaxing in recliners. Hashtagging #goal doesn't help anything concrete IMO, unless maybe if it's soccer or hockey.

• Love 7
On 7/26/2017 at 6:58 PM, MaryAnneSpier said:

The Forsyth-Duggar alliance is good for both families. As much as they claim Joy and Austin were "friends for years", I think this was an arranged marriage. I wonder which one is more arranged: Joy/Austin or JoKen? Meaning, would either of these Duggar kids have chosen their spouse on their own without their fathers making an agreement? 

I agree, and think they can be friends for years, and also have an arranged marriage.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Not necessarily, sometimes they're just lame and the young don't know how to choose them. ;P  I'm pretty sure a big point of "tagging", is so posts can in fact be found in a grouping by similarly minded individuals or people who have already posted about stuff pertaining to the hashtags.  Hashtagging #finalfour or even something random like #recliner, for example, I can see; because then you'd expect to find people talking about the Final Four, or pictures of people relaxing in recliners. Hashtagging #goal doesn't help anything concrete IMO, unless maybe if it's soccer or hockey.

They are also handy for blocking things you don't want to see. Like when your whole twitter feed explodes with hockey feels. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2017-07-27 at 5:58 PM, queenanne said:

Maybe in retrospect, part of the conversation of the segment, revolved around the actions Joy took to make *her own* #goal of marrying Austin come true.

Otherwise it just sounds weird and ill-advised, like the teenager is jealous of Joy and thinks marrying Austin herself would have made a good aspirational #goal.

Goals in Internet slang is used to mean something you aspire to for yourself. It usually comes more from a place of admiration than envy/jealousy; it has a positive connotation. Your hypothesis (bolding mine) is probably a bit too elaborate in that sense (well, in my opinion :D ).

Edited by PinkyCupcake
  • Love 3

I noticed the balled fist as well. 

I also wonder if Joy will be allowed to post on this Insta account. All the posts have come from him so far. Usually, in these "shared" accounts, it's the wife who posts (see the Rodriguii, Erin Paine, and Whitney Bates as prime examples). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

"Taking some time off work" - the Duggars and their spouses sure don't work much

Well that is the Duggar work ethic.  Grift, pass go, & go out to a "date" with gift cards your fans sent you.  You will post pictures &  call it the most romantic date ever.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

"Taking some time off work" - the Duggars and their spouses sure don't work much

"Taking some time off work" -- didn't they just return from a month long honeymoon?   These two are taking more time "off" than I get in a year.  

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Taking some time off work

I'm going to cut Austin some slack here, because at least he does work.  Maybe he means they're taking some time off from flipping another house.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

"Taking some time off work" -- didn't they just return from a month long honeymoon?   These two are taking more time "off" than I get in a year.  

What I am dying to know is whether Der, Bin, Jer, and now Frosty Austy were like this before they became Duggar Adjacents.

I know so few people who have "vacation" schedules anything like this. So could they all have lived this kind of life before Duggardumb?

And if so, how the hell did the Duggs rummage through the vast pile of people out there and come up with four -- and I do think they're quite rare -- perpetual vacationers? Or is Duggaricity really some kind of virus, as I've long suspected? Or is the Duggs' perpetual-vacation-while-claiming-to-have-servants'-hearts just so irresistible that once four normal guys saw it they absolutely had to have it? 

I suppose that, logically, it's gotta be the last one. You get some TLC money and, hey, you're in Duggar Vacationland. But really? Don't they worry looking forward at likely long lives, and in some cases possibly many children, and don't they wonder, "Maybe I should be working harder and saving some cash now, because Yeeesh."

Just odd, to me.  

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I suppose that, logically, it's gotta be the last one. You get some TLC money and, hey, you're in Duggar Vacationland

This. They are making money, they are just pretending that they have regular incomes from missions, ministries, janitorial JB jobs and in Austin's case, he may be the only one who really makes money. Austin works for himself so he can decide how much he wants to put in, and get out of flipping houses. 

Reality shows should only be filmed for the first season, BEFORE any of the participants is paid a dime. Duggs for sure, but every reality show changes because of the income and the longer they are aired, the further they get from 'reality'. 

• Love 17

I posted on the Bates Forum that I watched a clip of someone who was in a reality show and he said there is nothing real about them.  That they are scripted.  Which makes some sense since we've seen marks on the floor for one of them to stand when they are "surprised" by something like an engagement.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

What I am dying to know is whether Der, Bin, Jer, and now Frosty Austy were like this before they became Duggar Adjacents.

I know so few people who have "vacation" schedules anything like this. So could they all have lived this kind of life before Duggardumb?

And if so, how the hell did the Duggs rummage through the vast pile of people out there and come up with four -- and I do think they're quite rare -- perpetual vacationers? Or is Duggaricity really some kind of virus, as I've long suspected? Or is the Duggs' perpetual-vacation-while-claiming-to-have-servants'-hearts just so irresistible that once four normal guys saw it they absolutely had to have it? 

I suppose that, logically, it's gotta be the last one. You get some TLC money and, hey, you're in Duggar Vacationland. But really? Don't they worry looking forward at likely long lives, and in some cases possibly many children, and don't they wonder, "Maybe I should be working harder and saving some cash now, because Yeeesh."

Just odd, to me.  

Seems to me that their fixation on having a "servant's heart" pretty much means just doing whatever JB & Michelle need done. Being servants to their parents, even if pretty inefficient ones, must somehow justify everything else. They are trained to do as they are asked with a smile (I have no idea how realistic that scenario is as it plays out in real life), therefore they are servants by definition. Doing it for the headship (JB) is pretty much equivalent to doing it directly for Jesus, therefore there is nothing else in life to strive for.

• Love 9

Can someone explain to me why the men are always dressed decently in suits, while the women look like they just threw on whatever they grabbed out of the hamper? Why don't these girls invest in one or two nice dresses or at least a matching skirt/blouse combo so they can look more pulled-together at these types of events? I get that Joy isn't a fashion plate, but you'd think she'd at least want to match Austin in terms of formality. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I noticed the balled fist as well.

He looks about as clenched as Michelle always does in her pics. Wonder if he has as many control issues as she does.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Can someone explain to me why the men are always dressed decently in suits, while the women look like they just threw on whatever they grabbed out of the hamper? Why don't these girls invest in one or two nice dresses or at least a matching skirt/blouse combo so they can look more pulled-together at these types of events? I get that Joy isn't a fashion plate, but you'd think she'd at least want to match Austin in terms of formality. 

The suits can be just as sketchy sometimes, like the one Jim Blob has worn to the past few weddings. I think it's just that a suit is a suit, and you don't need to worry whether it matches. The girls probably have a lot more clothes, and maybe even a few decent pieces in there, but since it's all communal, much of it doesn't fit quite right and there's the challenge of actually making sure one piece goes with the other. And then there's the issue of making sure no one is defrauded...The guys have it much easier. And even they have a hard time making sure the shoes match the suit much of the time. To say nothing of the younger boys' bow ties and such!

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, graefin said:

He looks about as clenched as Michelle always does in her pics. Wonder if he has as many control issues as she does.

Well, for Joy's sake I certainly hope not. But given the world he's lived in all his life, it wouldn't be a bit surprising if he does, I suppose. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ariel said:

Grift, pass go, & go out to a "date" with gift cards your fans sent you.  You will post pictures &  call it the most romantic date ever.

Gift cards or grift cards? There, fixed it for ya.

And more pictures of them eating greasy take out in the car.

• Love 3
Just now, Arwen Evenstar said:

Gift cards or grift cards? There, fixed it for ya.

And more pictures of them eating greasy take out in the car.

I forgot to add for that extra romantic touch,  roses from the local gas station.  

• Love 2

Joy looks fine to me, considering what is deemed suitable church wear for them.  The guys all wear suits. I do wish she was allowed to wear shot Jinger us now wearing.

I'm going to cut them some slack on the taking time off work thing. Austin  is used to working at his parents, and working evenings and Saturday' flipping houses.  He can schedule a conference into that easier than Derick could at Walmart. 

• Love 2

Regarding Austin taking lots of time off from work, the real estate market is usually most profitable & robust in the warmer summer months than it is in the dead of winter. Construction work tends to operates that way too.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
On 09/08/2017 at 5:31 AM, BitterApple said:

I think Joy looks good, I don't see anything wrong with what she is wearing. I'd rather see her comfortable and nicely dressed than 'matching Austins formality' and look uncomfortable' 

it's sort of a no win situation for her 

• Love 1
On 8/8/2017 at 2:31 PM, BitterApple said:

I agree with you. Like so many other things, they want to have it both ways in the sartorial department, too.

I don't agree with their desire to teleport back to the 1950s and enforce strict gender roles, but that's what they want to do. All of these girls were raised to be "help-meets" and they simply don't have ANY of the skills required of a 1950s housewife. We've talked often about how they can't cook or clean or sew or keep house, but they (for the most part) look slovenly and unkept, too.

When her husband came home, the Beav's mom was clean and well groomed, and dressed in a flattering (but modest) dress. Look at the Romenys -- I may not like their politics, but they are always dressed neatly, and modestly. The idea that you can only dress modestly by wearing layers of ill-fitting rags is a Duggar phenominon.

Joy's an attractive young woman and she looks like she got dressed in the dark. The "outfit" doesn't go together in any way and it doesn't fit. She doesn't look "modest" to me, she just looks like she doesn't give a shit.

ETA: I've mentioned this before, but this is an awful photo. The family business requires that they take and post photos all the time, and they suck at it. I know that they all believe that if they watch someone do something for 20 minutes, they are all professionals, but that's clearly not the case here. This photo could have been cropped much tighter. About 50% of this photo is plastic chairs. We don't need a 3/4 length view of Joy and Austin. A much tighter photo would have allowed us to focus on their faces, not their clothes.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree with you. Like so many other things, they want to have it both ways in the sartorial department, too.

I don't agree with their desire to teleport back to the 1950s and enforce strict gender roles, but that's what they want to do. All of these girls were raised to be "help-meets" and they simply don't have ANY of the skills required of a 1950s housewife. We've talked often about how they can't cook or clean or sew or keep house, but they (for the most part) look slovenly and unkept, too.

When her husband came home, the Beav's mom was clean and well groomed, and dressed in a flattering (but modest) dress. Look at the Romenys -- I may not like their politics, but they are always dressed neatly, and modestly. The idea that you can only dress modestly by wearing layers of ill-fitting rags is a Duggar phenominon.

Joy's an attractive young woman and she looks like she got dressed in the dark. The "outfit" doesn't go together in any way and it doesn't fit. She doesn't look "modest" to me, she just looks like she doesn't give a shit.

ETA: I've mentioned this before, but this is an awful photo. The family business requires that they take and post photos all the time, and they suck at it. I know that they all believe that if they watch someone do something for 20 minutes, they are all professionals, but that's clearly not the case here. This photo could have been cropped much tighter. About 50% of this photo is plastic chairs. We don't need a 3/4 length view of Joy and Austin. A much tighter photo would have allowed us to focus on their faces, not their clothes.

Agreed on all of this. And cropping the photo to where her skirt wasn't part of it would mane the whole ting so much more cohesive. Her sweater or top/cardigan (not sure exactly what it is) actually looks nice and polished on her. It occurs to me as well that these couples seem to focus more on whether their clothes match each others' than whether the elements in the individual outfits work together.

• Love 2

Austin always looks like a cross between Alfred E. Newman (of MAD magazine fame) and Ruprecht the Monkey-Boy (from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels") to me.  I keep expecting him to be drooling just a bit.

Joy looks like a Duggar.  Other than Josh, Jessa, and maybe Jill, I can't tell any of them apart.

• Love 2

So it looks like Jana still has to share the communal closet with Jill, Jessa & Joy, even though they all have their own places to live and closets to use.   Married off sisters should mean fewer people wearing the few decent items.  If I were Jana, I'd be pissed.

TLC had wardrobe assistance at the taping of the After Show, at least for the girls (not a bad idea for Kendra, Jessa, and Joy). Joy wore that same blue cardigan during the show that we saw in this pic. I guess TLC let her keep it. I didn't really pay attention to what Jessa or Kendra ended up wearing, or if any of them kept the clothes beyond the blue cardigan. 

Are they really still using a communal closet? All of the ladies are pretty slim, but clearly Joy is built differently than Jana who is built differently than Jinger or Jessa. All have great figures, but I have a hard time believing that everything they share flatters all of them. This isn't Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I get a communal closet for the younger kids, but adults? No. They can more than afford for everyone to have their own clothes.

I hope Joy can be inspired by Jinger in stepping out of the box. It doesn't take much to look cute, tbh.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

Are they really still using a communal closet? All of the ladies are pretty slim, but clearly Joy is built differently than Jana who is built differently than Jinger or Jessa. All have great figures, but I have a hard time believing that everything they share flatters all of them. This isn't Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I get a communal closet for the younger kids, but adults? No. They can more than afford for everyone to have their own clothes.

I hope Joy can be inspired by Jinger in stepping out of the box. It doesn't take much to look cute, tbh.

I think they really stopped using a communal closet when Joy hit puberty- before then the 4 older girls, although having different body types could fit into the similar sizes. As Joy got older and in the "older girl group", she developed into a larger, more voluptuous woman than her sisters (in no way am I calling Joy fat/overweight etc, she is NOT, actually she's built the most like Michelle when she was younger) and the communal clothes just didn't fit her. 

Now with Jana being the only girl at home post-puberty I'm sure she's got her own clothes. I am sure JD has his own clothes. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I don't get how that works either. Jill is relatively tall at 5'7", Jana and Jessa are short and pear-shaped, Jinger is thin as a rail and Joy is voluptuous. How in the hell did they manage to share clothes between them for all those years? No wonder everything looked misshapen and stretched out when there were four different body types trying to share one denim skirt. 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't get how that works either. Jill is relatively tall at 5'7", Jana and Jessa are short and pear-shaped, Jinger is thin as a rail and Joy is voluptuous. How in the hell did they manage to share clothes between them for all those years? No wonder everything looked misshapen and stretched out when there were four different body types trying to share one denim skirt. 

I think you've answered your own question - everything looks like stretched out rags on the Duggar girls. 

Btw, they still shared clothes as recently as Joy's engagement photo. I absolutely remember Jana wearing the polka-dot dress/cardigan combo first. 

• Love 4