Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

The GoT fandom may want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but honestly...I was not super impressed with the past season of the show.  There were some moments that were fantastic, but as a whole, it didn't do a lot for me.  Which was a real bummer considering how much I'd looked forward to it.

It should win for visual effects, but yeah. The writing was not that great. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lena Headey or Peter Dinklage get a nomination, but even those they may wait on until 2019 just for the last hurrah factor.

The most shocking thing about tonight is that the show ended at 11 p.m. Like, WTF.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I guess I finally have to get that Hulu subscription. I mean with HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc. I really wasn't really looking for any more.

I'm thinking of getting a trial subscription and binging the show, then cancelling.  We'll see.

• Love 4

So not too many surprises tonight--I'd say the biggest shocker was Ann Dowd's win.  I do wonder if The Handmaid's Tale would've done so well were it not for what's going on in the country right now.  And as usual, I have a list of shows I need to check out--mostly comedies!  (Still not sold on checking out This Is Us, though.)

But right now...I need sleep.  I only got three and a half hours of sleep last night.  I'm amazed I got to the end of the show without dropping off.  See you guys next time! :)

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I always think of him as "Dead Denny" from Grey's Anatomy.  Terrible storyline.

I never watched that show but I head it was bad.

Good show tonight I am happy with the winners. They played off some people a bit too fast though.

• Love 2

Just a thank you to Sterling for the best part of the night for me. I've listen to his speech 5 times because I was so in love with it. Sterling said "let's continue repping black love like Martin & Gina!" Probably the best line for me of the entire night because it is so freaking rare for that to be shown and so few seem to realize this is a problem. You'd have hoped Eriq LaSalle bringing attention to it so long ago on ER would've helped a bit, but it hasn't changed at all since then.

And since that followed up the very real (and the reason I don't watch This Is Us), "you are the best white TV family that a brotha has ever had, better than Mr. Drummond and better than those white folks that raised Webster." I think I love Sterling now.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 16
16 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! Horrible things to Rory Gilmore!

That made me laugh so much. Alexis Bledel must have heard that before because she didn't seem that surprised to hear him say it....but that is a brilliant line.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

Just a thank you to Sterling for the best part of the night for me. Sterling said "let's continue repping black love like Martin & Gina"! Probably the best line for me of the entire night because it is so freaking rare for that to be shown and so few seem to realize this is a problem. You'd have hoped Eriq LaSalle bringing attention to it so long ago on ER would've helped a bit, but it hasn't changed at all since then.

And since that followed up the very real (and the reason I don't watch This Is Us), "you are the best white TV family that a brotha has ever had, better than Mr. Drummond and better than those white folks that raised Webster." I think I love Sterling now.

I love him very much now!

• Love 5

I have a feeling I may be keeping this on the DVR for awhile not just for some great wins and speeches but for that beautiful "Thank You, Mary" commercial.  It will probably get played a thousand times now all over the TV landscape, but it added a very sweet and touching note tonight.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I went back and watched Nicole Kidman's speech and didn't see any cuts to Elizabeth Moss. I also tried googling it, and the only thing that came up was an article in which Moss praises Kidman, calling her lovely and passionate, and talks about how excited she was to meet her on the set of a show they did together. If Moss has a problem with Kidman, I'm having trouble finding evidence.

I'm really happy that the Handmaid's Tale was a big winner tonight. For me, it was one of those tv shows where you can't stop watching and then when you reach the end, you can't stop thinking about it.

I'm a big fan of This is Us but I don't think it's as high calibre as some of the other nominees. I'm happy Sterling K. Brown won though, and I loved his speech.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Valny said:

That made me laugh so much. Alexis Bledel must have heard that before because she didn't seem that surprised to hear him say it....but that is a brilliant line.

Alexis' smile was as forced as I've seen it when he said that. Maybe it was just she was nervous up there and barely heard what he said. But if she did and her smile was a reaction to it, she's not a fan of them making fun of Rory Gilmore.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Arynm said:

Ann Dowd! She was so great in Handmaids Tale. She doesn't even know what to do with herself.

She really looked stunned. She was so careful with her speech, I thought, because she wasn't prepared. ❤️

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Katherine said:

I went back and watched Nicole Kidman's speech and didn't see any cuts to Elizabeth Moss. I also tried googling it, and the only thing that came up was an article in which Moss praises Kidman, calling her lovely and passionate, and talks about how excited she was to meet her on the set of a show they did together. If Moss has a problem with Kidman, I'm having trouble finding evidence.

I'm really happy that the Handmaid's Tale was a big winner tonight. For me, it was one of those tv shows where you can't stop watching and then when you reach the end, you can't stop thinking about it.

I'm a big fan of This is Us but I don't think it's as high calibre as some of the other nominees. I'm happy Sterling K. Brown won though, and I loved his speech.

I'd also like to know where the "bugged out" look happened -- watching on the West Coast rerun now, an hour to go...

2 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I missed Moss as well but wasn't her acting out during the announcement of the Emmy rather than the speech?

I went back and looked at the announcement again and didn't see Moss anywhere. Maybe someone else caught it.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

And she's an actress that has been in quite a few movies. There is a real problem for complex and interesting roles for women. I mean, I'm a huge fan of Rachel McAdams - but she hardly gets to play anything but the romantic love interest.

Well that's because Jennifer Lawrence is getting almost every  "complex" movie  role out there that could be handle by more mature and experienced actresses. With regards to Nicole and Reese's complaints, I get it, but its difficult for me to sympathize when they are still in fact getting interesting roles - Nicole in particular, in the medium of television/streaming. While women of color struggle to get roles no matter their ages or the medium of entertainment. 

But I digress, I am over the moon for Sterling K. Brown! I do not watch This is Us and have zero interest in it, but this guy is a great actor. I'm glad he received recognition.

I'm also thrilled about  Donald Glover. ATL is a very funny and original show. Happy its also receiving the recognition it deserves. 

I love JLD. I think she's awesome. Have enjoyed her since Seinfeld, but is she and VEEP really the funniest show and actress out there? I think she and her show as won in their categories for the past several years. Surely there are others that are doing comedy just as good or better than her show. 

• Love 5

As a This is Us defender, I love it and don't think it being sentimental is a bad thing. That's why I love it. I haven't seen Westworld or Handmaid's Tale, so won't comment. But I cannot fathom the idea that This is Us is so beneath the ultra slow Stranger Things (how many episodes did Ryder just cry and cry and cry before doing anything?) or the always lame House of Cards.

I loved Big Little Lies. Very happy for its success.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

That's the point of Big Little Lies. Since she wasn't getting offered the interesting roles, Reese had to create them.

Yeah Reese produced her last two nominated roles herself. Wild and Big Little Lies. She reads voraciously then options books for herself, or others like Gone Girl. 

• Love 15
27 minutes ago, Enero said:

I love JLD. I think she's awesome. Have enjoyed her since Seinfeld, but is she and VEEP really the funniest show and actress out there? I think she and her show as won in their categories for the past several years. Surely there are others that are doing comedy just as good or better than her show. 

Yes, I think she and the show are the funniest at the moment.  She is great, the writing is exceptional, and the entire cast as fantastic...consistantly from the start.

• Love 8

Tired of Veep and JLD winning all the time.  Black-ish is hysterical and the actors are fantastic   

Maybe my opinion is colored by my distain of Scientology, but I've never been a Moss fan.  When I look at her work in the things I've seen, she seems to play every character the same way in terms of nuance. As far as Handmaid's Tale, I hated the book and how it ended----I've always hated books with open endings, so I'm not a fan of the show.  

I've loved everything Sterling K Brown has ever done.  He's a superb actor, regardless of the character he's playing. My big disappointment was that Ron Cephas Jones didn't win.  His role on This Is Us was heartbreaking and beautifully played. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

Overall I liked the show itself, except for the horrible off-stage announcer, or whatever he/she was.

Some good wins, some for shows I know nothing about.  Speeches were meh - but I agree about letting Nicole go on as long as she wanted but cut Sterling K. Brown off at the knees.  The man had something to say and wasn't just reading off AFTRA geneology charts.

Time to get shallow - loved Nicole's dress and that she seemed able to actually move her face, but that near-platinum hair color is not flattering.

Happy about the two wins for Black Mirror.  A brilliant show in concepts and execution.

• Love 3

Everytime I think, well maybe someone other than JLD should have won, I go back and look at the episodes submitted and it turns out that she really is better than anyone else in the field year on year. Her performance in Veep is nothing short of extraordinary. I think JLD really is the best comedic actress of her generation and she deserves to be rewarded for it.

• Love 15

As an avowed The Americans fan, I confess to replaying their blip in the Colbert opening number over and over again and just laughing and laughing and laughing at Elizabeth and Philip going from serious surveillance mode to smiling, singing and clapping that "even treason's better on tv...[clap,clap, clap, clap, clap]", cut to immediate serious mode from them.  Just brilliant!!

• Love 20
31 minutes ago, pennben said:

As an avowed The Americans fan, I confess to replaying their blip in the Colbert opening number over and over again and just laughing and laughing and laughing at Elizabeth and Philip going from serious surveillance mode to smiling, singing and clapping that "even treason's better on tv...[clap,clap, clap, clap, clap]", cut to immediate serious mode from them.  Just brilliant!!

Completely agree -- and the wigs!  Totally worthy of the wig collection on that show. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

The GoT fandom may want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but honestly...I was not super impressed with the past season of the show.  There were some moments that were fantastic, but as a whole, it didn't do a lot for me.  Which was a real bummer considering how much I'd looked forward to it.

4 hours ago, double-elvis said:

You're not alone. I think the consensus was this was GoT's worst season so far. The writing clearly faltered being this far removed from the books. 

This past season, season 7, wasn't eligible for the Emmys. To qualify for the 2017 Emmys, a program had to air episodes between June 1, 2016, and May 31, 2017. Season 6 episodes that aired during those dates don't count because they are considered to be part of the season in which they premiered.

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

I always think of him as "Dead Denny" from Grey's Anatomy.  Terrible storyline.

He'll always be John Winchester from Supernatural, one of television's worst fathers, to me.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

My thoughts on the show after having seen it but not yet read any comments:

Best way to watch the show: fast forward 

Best comedy "bit": tie between Sean Spicer and the interview with Emmy

Worst comedy "bit": vibrator joke 

Best speech (heartfelt): writer for Master of None

Best speech ( comedy): VEEP producer

Worst speech: none-fast forward is my new best friend 

Best dressed: Nicole Kidman

(runner up Lea Michele)

Worst dressed: Winner for directing something who looked like she was wearing a pretty white dress but had accidentally peed herself when she found out that she won 

(runner up Oprah who I know can do better)

Best rack: Anika Noni Rose (sorry Dolly)

Best plastic surgery: Jane Fonda (normally, I don't give this one because the best plastic surgery is the surgery you don't notice but she looks younger than she did 20 years ago when she had wrinkles)

Nice production touch: ending the In Memoriam segment with the end of the MTM show 

WTF production touch: playing winners onstage with You Don't Own Me

Worst production touch: the writing for the descriptions of the winners (maybe tell me something that I would be interested in, like what they won prior Emmys for rather than that they graduated high school two years early)

(runner up-the announcer himself; the best announcers you don't notice at all rather than wondering what they just said)

OMG he/she is still alive:

Best: Norman Lear at 95

Worst: Cicely Tyson at 92

Shows the Emmys reminded me I intend to watch someday:

Master of None

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Grace and Frankie

Last Week Tonight

Shows I've never heard of but will now probably google but never actually watch:

Atlanta

The Night of

• Love 6
22 hours ago, vb68 said:

If anybody really gets a career boost from these awards, I hope it's Ann Dowd.  She needs to work more.

I hope she does too but I feel like I see Ann Dowd everywhere both on shows I watch and didn't watch.  I was surprised she was on The Handmaid's Tale.  I knew she was on The Leftovers. I think she's terrific on Good Behavior. She works a lot.  Her win was one of my favorite moments because it really does feel earned over a long period of time.

21 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Honestly, has anyone watched The Night Of?

Yes.  It had similar ratings to Big Little Lies. Both RIz and Turturro were excellent in it.

20 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

I like soapy.  I can even like melodramatic.  But this show goes too far for me and it doesn't carry me with it the way it carries others so I stopped watching.  All that said, Sterling K Brown IS that good.

20 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I've heard many actresses discuss this - so there must be a grain of truth to it. Anne Hathaway even said that when she turned 30 she stopped getting nearly as many offers as she used to. And she's an actress that has been in quite a few movies. There is a real problem for complex and interesting roles for women. I mean, I'm a huge fan of Rachel McAdams - but she hardly gets to play anything but the romantic love interest.

I applaud Reese and Nicole for being proactive and creating such a wonderful show.

Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Deuce) said that she was told she was too old, at 37, to play the love interest of a 55 year old co-star.  That about says it all for growing older in Hollywood.  (Oh heck, not just Hollywood but I won't go there.)  Their argument that there are no good roles for women over 40 is short hand for the fact that they decrease quite a bit.  It's just that there are so many fewer, especially compared to their male counterparts.  Nicole probably does still get offered them.  Meryl Streep too.  But yes, I do think Reese has had to take charge of producing them for herself.

Well that's because Jennifer Lawrence is getting almost every  "complex" movie  role out there that could be handle by more mature and experienced actresses.

Yes.  And she's 27.  It'll be interesting to see if she keeps getting all these offers when she reaches her 30s.

20 hours ago, Enero said:

I love JLD. I think she's awesome. Have enjoyed her since Seinfeld, but is she and VEEP really the funniest show and actress out there?

I can't argue about show, necessarily, but I do think JLD is the funniest actress out there.  And I say this as someone who loves Pamela Adlon, Tracee Ellis Ross (Pamela and Tracee are probably both a close second to JLD), Allison Janney, Ellie Kemper, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

My favorite moment from the Emmy's was Spicey. I was totally not expecting that.

Yay for Aziz & Lena & the Master of None crew! I wish Aziz could have had time to speak too, but I like that he gave Lena the platform to speak. Got me a little teary-eyed. Favorite speech of the night though goes to SKB. That bit about his white family made me laugh almost as much as Spicey's appearance. 

I kind of liked the yellow dress! I'd make some modifications, but I love yellow, and ombre, so yellow ombre works for me, haha. 

Elizabeth Moss's dress reminded me of my older sister's junior prom dress from the late 90's. I'm not sure what Reese was going for with her outfit. Donald Glover looked fiiiiine in that tux. Did I mention Matt Bomer gives me a lady boner? 

Loooved the Westworld skit. That also got a lot of laughs from me. 

ETA: Worst hair goes to Jane Fonda and her Barbie ponytail. Just no.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

To qualify for the 2017 Emmys, a program had to air episodes between June 1, 2016, and May 31, 2017.) 

So this means that The Leftovers was eligible. Carrie Coon's acting was much better showcased in her role in The Leftovers than in Fargo, IMO.

• Love 1

Other than the announcer guy (which WTF dude.  Take it down several notches) the Emmy's were doing so well until they let Nicole finish her thought and then turned around and cut Sterling off and also including Roger Ailes in the memorial segment.

People get left out of that segment ALL THE TIME.  He was not deserving of honors.

• Love 16
40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Other than the announcer guy (which WTF dude.  Take it down several notches) the Emmy's were doing so well until they let Nicole finish her thought and then turned around and cut Sterling off and also including Roger Ailes in the memorial segment.

People get left out of that segment ALL THE TIME.  He was not deserving of honors.

I was pissed that they didn't have William Christopher. Granted, I did look away for a second, so maybe I missed it. 

I happened to flip to this at the end of it. I never heard of Handmaid's Tale but I guess it sweeped everything. I have to admit I was thinking what does "Rory Gilmore" have to do anything and thought I misheard. Until I realized Alexis in the stage crowd.

7 hours ago, Anela said:

She really looked stunned. She was so careful with her speech, I thought, because she wasn't prepared. ❤️

Ann Dowd works a lot and like Margo Martindale, elevates everything she's in.

My clue that she didn't expect to be up on the stage accepting the award is that she was wearing her "nice black evening dress" that we all have.  If you think you're actually going to be up there winning, you probably invest in some brand new razz-matazz red carpet sparkle. 

(Unless you're Oprah, and then you can get away with going for the "tailored" look to present the big finale award.  Hee.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So this means that The Leftovers was eligible. Carrie Coon's acting was much better showcased in her role in The Leftovers than in Fargo, IMO.

So much this.  I would have been thrilled if Carrie won as she totally deserved it for The Leftovers.

And I would like to thank Jackie Hoffman who had the most honest reaction to losing the Emmy to Laura Dern.  She yelled damn it twice.  She was pissed.

I am a Pfeiffer fan, but if Michelle had lost to her - I would have been thrilled, as Jackie's Mamacita in The Feud was one of that series' highlights.

Jackie is a character actress and comedienne who's career could really use an Emmy boost.  She deserved the win.  And it would have spared me Laura Dern's acceptance speech.  I like Laura Dern, and I agree with the lack of meaningful woman roles in the movies, but she just pissed me off.

10 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

If you like two tissue a night network tv then yes.  Personally I think it is overly and overtly melodramatic and exceptionally Emmy baity but ehhhh whatever.  Sterling K Brown is pretty so....

Spicey showing up at the Emmys was kinda classic.

And still I have no interest in watching the Handmaids Tale. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

like Margo Martindale, elevates everything she's in.

Yes!  I remember an episode of Sex and the City where Miranda is buying a bra and dress to wear to her mother's funeral and is fighting with the saleslady played by Margo ... Margo had only a few lines but was SO memorable as Miranda realized the fight she was having with the saleslady was the same type of fight she would be having with her mother.

• Love 1