Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It seems to me the only times they played You Don't Own Me was when someone won from The Handmaid's Tale. I haven't seen that show (yet), but could it be the theme song or something? Somehow I could see at least a loose connection between that show & that song.

Yes, that's the only time they played You Don't Own Me. Part of the show's soundtrack and the one they featured all night for The Handmaid's Tale Nominations and Winners, it was just on often because they did well on Emmy night.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Holy crap! I flashbacked to the ep of This is Us when Randall met family in Memphis and proclaimed, "I was raised by white people!" That killed me.

This is a bit off-topic, but I never understood that line on the show. What does quoting Oprah have to do with being raised by white people? Is the joke that white people love Oprah more than anyone else?

Anyone who's interested in what life is like for older (that is, over 40) actresses in Hollywood should search out a copy of the documentary SEARCHING FOR DEBRA WINGER, directed by the actress Rosanna Arquette. Arquette started with a question that was perplexing her: why did Debra Winger quit the movie business? She goes out and interviews dozens of actresses of varying ages - her sister Patricia, Teri Garr, Theresa Russell, Diane Lane, many, many more...and eventually Winger herself. It's excellently done.

• Love 6
On 9/17/2017 at 10:08 PM, wonderwoman said:

Proving my point... Next to As the World Turns, Ryan's Hope was my favorite soap.

Those who have passed away from the soap world are honored during the Daytime Emmys, which were last spring. (Although there have been a few times where they were streamed online in the last few years, as the big networks have largely stopped wanting them, and they've even wound up on cable networks.) 

On 9/18/2017 at 0:50 PM, chitowngirl said:

Erin Moran was left out also.

She was apparently honored during the Creative Arts Emmys, which is confusing, given she was one of the stars of Happy Days.

But at least she was remembered somewhere. Barbara Hale (Della Street from Perry Mason) didn't get remembered at all. :'( 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I don't know how to take this comment. Are you mad that he has good roles. Or you think he's a crappy actor because he's not RDJ? I'm totally confused LOL

He looks, and in a lot of roles acts like a crappy low rent version of Robert Downey Jr. What with that thing where he acts cocky and annoying, where people in real life would find it irritating but characters in TV somehow find it charming. He really was the worst part of that terrible last season of The Good Wife.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

He looks, and in a lot of roles acts like a crappy low rent version of Robert Downey Jr. What with that thing where he acts cocky and annoying, where people in real life would find it irritating but characters in TV somehow find it charming. He really was the worst part of that terrible last season of The Good Wife.

LOL damn that's harsh on his looks. IMO, he's taking roles with that cocky attitude but IRL I don't think he's like that at all. At least not in the interviews I've seen or on The Talking Dead. But thanks for clarifying :)

On 9/18/2017 at 0:54 PM, mojoween said:

Also in the pic they ran in today's paper she was sticking her tongue out on the red carpet which I personally don't find charming.

Me neither; when did that get to be a thing?  And it seems to be all over - recently I saw a group of photos that were taken at an improvised photo booth at a wedding, and 90% of the photos were the dressed up attendees sticking out their tongues.  Now there's a memento!

On 9/18/2017 at 8:23 PM, Minneapple said:

Also, it's the Emmys filled with a bunch of liberal Hollywood elites. What did you expect?

From George Clooney regarding Hollywood elites:

"I grew up in Kentucky," he explained, "I sold insurance door-to-door. I sold ladies' shoes. I worked at an all-night liquor store".

"I would buy suits that were too big and too long and cut the bottom of the pants off to make ties so I'd have a tie to go on job interviews. I grew up understanding what it was like to not have health insurance for eight years. So this idea that I'm somehow the 'Hollywood elite' and this guy who takes a s**t in a gold toilet is somehow the man of the people is laughable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/09/25/george-clooney-blasts-trump-and-the-myth-of-the-hollywood-elite_a_23221457/

Some of them were just like us, once, and I think they have a perfect right to speak out.

• Love 23
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, wallflower75 said:

So could someone explain to me why we got little clips for the male nominees and nothing for the females?  :( :( :(

I think they rotate the categories that have acting clips from year to year.  It might be male leads in comedy and female supporting in dramas one year, and female leads in dramas/male supporting in comedies another.  I think it takes too long to feature clips for all nominees in all acting categories.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, wallflower75 said:

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

I tried to watch the first episode, but couldn't make it through.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, vb68 said:

Hee. I LOVE the Dick Whitman shoutout!

I forgot to record the broadcast while out of the country, so I missed this.  Who made the DW shoutout? 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

So this means that The Leftovers was eligible. Carrie C***'s acting was much better showcased in her role in The Leftovers than in Fargo, IMO.

Yeah, most of the critics viewed omission of The Leftovers as the biggest Emmy snub this year. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, AuntieDiane6 said:

Yes!  I remember an episode of Sex and the City where Miranda is buying a bra and dress to wear to her mother's funeral and is fighting with the saleslady played by Margo ... Margo had only a few lines but was SO memorable as Miranda realized the fight she was having with the saleslady was the same type of fight she would be having with her mother.

I see someone has already pointed out that the saleswoman was played by Mary Pat Gleason, but isn't it funny how we can be so sure of our memory and yet completely wrong?  ;-)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

From George Clooney regarding Hollywood elites:

"I grew up in Kentucky," he explained, "I sold insurance door-to-door. I sold ladies' shoes. I worked at an all-night liquor store".

"I would buy suits that were too big and too long and cut the bottom of the pants off to make ties so I'd have a tie to go on job interviews. I grew up understanding what it was like to not have health insurance for eight years. So this idea that I'm somehow the 'Hollywood elite' and this guy who takes a s**t in a gold toilet is somehow the man of the people is laughable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/09/25/george-clooney-blasts-trump-and-the-myth-of-the-hollywood-elite_a_23221457/

Some of them were just like us, once, and I think they have a perfect right to speak out.

I know. That's what I said in my post. I guess my air quotes or sarcastic tone didn't come across very well on the screen, lol.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2017 at 5:49 PM, Minneapple said:

I know. That's what I said in my post. I guess my air quotes or sarcastic tone didn't come across very well on the screen, lol.

lol I guess not, because I obviously totally missed it!  So sorry.  (And I'm not being sarcastic there!)

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Minneapple said:

George may have been born in Kentucky but his Dad was a popular news anchor when he was growing up, his mother a Miss Kentucky runner up and city councilwoman and didn't spend a lot of time at those jobs and lived in his aunt Rosemary's guest house when he first moved to LA, so when he says stuff like that about himslef, I always roll my eyes.

• Love 2
On 9/19/2017 at 0:21 PM, Blakeston said:

This is a bit off-topic, but I never understood that line on the show. What does quoting Oprah have to do with being raised by white people? Is the joke that white people love Oprah more than anyone else?

I think Randall was referring to his overall excitement and child-like exuberance about meeting his black relatives. 

On 9/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, UYI said:

She was apparently honored during the Creative Arts Emmys, which is confusing, given she was one of the stars of Happy Days.

Don't forget about 'Joanie Loves Chachi.'

Boy, shows on Broadcast TV don’t stand a chance these days. They’re barely nominated. I wonder how long it’s going to be before The Emmys stop being aired on The Big Four and get pushed to cable?

• Love 3
(edited)

I honestly thought Twin Peaks would much better. Weird that's shut out.

Even Game of Thrones' haul seems small- nothing for Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke.

And I was expecting both Mandy Moore and Justin Hartley for This Is Us.

But I love that SNL had another big haul, and I'm thrilled that Kenan Thompson and Aidy Bryant got first time nominations!  

Edited by vb68
16 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

No JK Simmons? No Jodie Comer?

I was really hoping and dare say,expecting to see Jodie Comer's name. If her co-star Sandra Oh got in I'd think she would too. Damn, pretty disappointing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I honestly thought Twin Peaks would much better. Weird that's shut out.

Even Game of Thrones' haul seems small- nothing for Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke.

And I was expecting both Mandy Moore and Justin Hartley for This Is Us.

But I love that SNL had another big haul, and I'm thrilled that Kenan Thompson and Aidy Bryant got first time nominations!  

Twin Peaks may have been shut out in the major categories (acting & series), but I'd swear I read it got nominated in the more technical/behind the scenes-type categories. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Love 1

The Terror gets completely shut out?  Whatever, Emmy voters.  As far as I'm concerned, it was one of the best of the year.  And Jared Harris gave one of the best performances of the past few years.

I wonder if both Game of Thrones and Westworld getting in Best Drama could actually hurt both of their chances.

• Love 1

It was a long shot but I was hoping Halt and Catch Fire would get some sort of nomination. The final season ended perfectly imo and Kerry Bishé and Mackenzie Davis were outstanding in the final episodes. I also felt The Good Place deserved more love. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sally-can-wait said:

I also felt The Good Place deserved more love. 

I agree.  Kristen Bell is as vital to the show’s hilarity as Ted Danson.

Yeah, for Sandra Oh. The first Asian actress to be nominated for a Best Actress Emmy. 

• Love 6

Does anyone here know an actual Emmy voter? I personally don't see how they can watch all shows in contention for these awards. To me, it seems that the shows with the best buzz or that have the best chance of being noticed have amazing promotional campaigns. If you really think about it, awards shows are just marketing tools. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

Does anyone here know an actual Emmy voter? I personally don't see how they can watch all shows in contention for these awards

Yes. And does Michael McKean not get a nom for Better Call Saul just because he doesn't play the titular character and dies at the end? And no J.K. Simmons because he wasn't in the sex scenes? Or what?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. And does Michael McKean not get a nom for Better Call Saul just because he doesn't play the titular character and dies at the end? And no J.K. Simmons because he wasn't in the sex scenes? Or what?

Better Call Saul wasn't eligible for these Emmys, because the bulk of season 3 happened during the window of eligibility for last year's Emmys.

• Love 2

If her co-star Sandra Oh got in I'd think she would too.

There was a very slim they were both getting nominated for best lead actress, the category was way too stacked. A lot of people initially didn't think Sandra stood a chance either, it was really only in the last few weeks before noms that she started inching her way up people's ballots. I think that Jodie would have stood a decent shot at getting nominated - and winning! - if BBCA had been willing to commit category fraud and submit her in the supporting actress category. But the network said that they thought that doing so would essentially be an insult to Jodie's work (there is no way in hell that she's a supporting character) so they decided to take their chances with best lead actress. On the one hand, I respect that stance because blatant category fraud can be obnoxious. On the other hand, Jodie really did deserve recognition and I'm willing to overlook category fraud when it benefits my faves. ;) But between the two of them, Jodie and Sandra, it was always going to be Sandra, since she's a veteran of the industry and has the more compelling story to use on the awards show campaign. BBCA went balls to the wall campaigning for her. 

• Love 1
On 7/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, vb68 said:

Even Game of Thrones' haul seems small- nothing for Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke

I am just glad Nikolaj Coster-Waldau finally got a nomination. It should have happened for Season 3. 

I am also glad Kit and Emilia didn't get a nomination.  I frankly think they are both weak actors. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I am also glad Kit and Emilia didn't get a nomination.  I frankly think they are both weak actors. 

I completely agree. They’re both pretty together and separate but that’s about as far as their “talent” goes. Though I do think Emilia is the more “talented” of the two. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/13/2018 at 5:51 AM, Blakeston said:
On 7/12/2018 at 11:44 PM, shapeshifter said:

On 7/12/2018 at 11:27 PM, Aloeonatable said:

Does anyone here know an actual Emmy voter? I personally don't see how they can watch all shows in contention for these awards. To me, it seems that the shows with the best buzz or that have the best chance of being noticed have amazing promotional campaigns. If you really think about it, awards shows are just marketing tools. 

Better Call Saul wasn't eligible for these Emmys, because the bulk of season 3 happened during the window of eligibility for last year's Emmys.

Oh. Well that sucks for Michael McKean not getting recognition for what, IMO, was the performance of his career—and a performance surpassing that of most actors.
But then, what's up with glossing over J.K. Simmons' also outstanding work? I can only guess it's because, like @Aloeonatable said^^, with so much competition, it's more about marketing than talent and skill. But I guess that's always been true in the arts. Would we know the name of Leonardo da Vinci if not for the Medicis? I guess I should just be glad to have been able to see J.K. Simmons' performance. In past eras a show like Counterpart might not have made it that far. 

Edited by shapeshifter
apostrophe; water under bridge
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Comer deserved to be nominated but the bright side is that there wont be a vote split between her and Sandra Oh should there be a Killing Eve faction amongst the voters.  Not that that means Oh will win anyway but it gives her a better chance.  Happy to see Brian Tyree Henry nominated since he seems to be an afterthought when discussing the Atlanta cast (people usually only mention him after Donald Glover and Lakeith Stanfield) and I think he's great as Paper Boi/Alfred.  I'm calling a win for Laurie Metcalf now.  One, as a consolation for not winning the Oscar (a la Melissa McCarthy.  Although, she does have three Emmys already for playing Jackie so it's not as if she's a perpetual bridesmaid) and two, as a recognition for the whole Roseanne fiasco.  Her "story" seems to have a lot of momentum right now and I'm sure that plays into the minds of the voters.  Not that she's not already great, it just seems like all the boxes are checked off.  

I, too, laugh at this golden age we are in and don't think there's any way that whoever is responsible for these decisions could have possibly seen every eligible entry.  With so many platforms it's just not possible as there are only so many hours in a day.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, Valny said:

I was really hoping and dare say,expecting to see Jodie Comer's name. If her co-star Sandra Oh got in I'd think she would too. Damn, pretty disappointing.

Let me preface this by saying, at least so far, I don't watch their show Killing Eve, but I have heard of it. The thing of it is, as probably most people know, if both actresses were nominated in the same category & either had a good chance of winning they probably would cancel each other out because they're from the same show, & someone else from another show would get the win. At least this way the show, in general, has a shot at something, & hopefully Comer (& Oh) might get future nominations if the show isn't a "1 (season) & done" thing.

As someone else said upthread, probably the best way to get them both nominated, when they're both doing the work of lead actresses, & to give them both a chance to win, is to "commit category fraud" (put 1 of them in an award category based on who their competition might be, to hopefully give them a better chance at winning in general, as opposed to putting them in a category they should be in, based on whether their role/the amount of work they did is closer to a Leading or Supporting role, thereby perhaps/probably lessening their chances for a win). In this case, committing "category fraud" for (probably) Comer's nomination.

Here, that would mean putting Sandra Oh (probably) up in the Lead Actress category & Jodie Comer (probably) up in the Supporting Actress category though, arguably, they apparently were more like co-leads. At least that way both would hopefully have a better chance at getting a nomination, & they wouldn't cancel each other out because they're on the same show & in the same category, & they wouldn't let somebody from another show snag the award, if Oh & Comer were both nominated & seen as the frontrunners.

As someone else said upthread, probably the best way to get them both nominated, when they're both doing the work of lead actresses, & to give them both a chance to win, is to "commit category fraud" (put 1 of them in an award category based on who their competition might be, to hopefully give them a better chance at winning in general, as opposed to putting them in a category they should be in, based on whether their role/the amount of work they did is closer to a Leading or Supporting role, thereby perhaps/probably lessening their chances for a win). In this case, committing "category fraud" for (probably) Comer's nomination.

To me, a show like This Is Us is a true ensemble program. Even though Sterling K Brown is one of five main roles, he was/is nominated as lead actor whereas Justin Hartley was considered in the supporting actor category. Milo Ventimiglia is "first on the call sheet" which would indicate a lead actor, so I guess that was the rationale for his nominations. In other words, I think they are considered for a category that they either deservedly belong in or where they have the best chance of winning the award. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

This will air on Monday I prefer Sunday nights for an Awards show. 

15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The almighty Sunday Night Football bumps the Emmys to Monday.

Well, that's annoying.  Stupid football.  How am I supposed to watch the Red Carpet all afternoon when I have to work on Monday??????

• Love 4

Except for watching Atlanta, and about 10 minutes of Killing Eve before I bailed,  I haven't watched any of the shows nominated in any of the categories.  So no Emmy watching for me.

Edited by Ohwell

I don't know any of these shows... and the media is questioning why ratings drop year after year... it isn't due to politics being discussed..but because the nominees are in niche shows that most viewers don't watch, or have access to watch.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I don't know any of these shows... and the media is questioning why ratings drop year after year... it isn't due to politics being discussed..but because the nominees are in niche shows that most viewers don't watch, or have access to watch.

It's the double edged sword of peak TV with all the different outlets.  It means that great shows can be created anywhere, and they're more likely to be created where there's more creative freedom to try new things, but not everyone will have access to those outlets.  It also means that during the ceremony, if people don't like or don't know of any of the nominees, they'll just turn on their selected TV access of choice (hulu, netflix, cable...etc.) and catch up on what they care about from the Emmys on YouTube later.

• Love 3

I'll get to snark on fashion with y'all after all (if anyone else is here) -- my work was closed today due to flooding concerns from remnants from Auntie Flo.  We're way inland, so we didn't get anywhere near the rain they did closer to the coast, but our rivers are overflowing a little bit.

• Love 1