Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

It's good, but not that good. Sterling is excellent in his role though, although I would have been happy with Matthew Ryes winning as well.

• Love 1

Elizabeth Moss wins a trophy after getting passed over time after time on Mad Men.  Glad for her, even if I find the whole Scientology thing creepy.  I do hope Claire Foy gets another shot, since she really was excellent on The Crown.

Out of the way, Negan, I'm all about that Tatiana Maslany!!!

• Love 7

I think This Is Us is just alright (I see it as more of a guilty pleasure), but Sterling is amazing in it. Ive been a bit obsessed with him since American Crime Story (where he was also the biggest standout among many great performances),  so I'm thrilled with his win. Speech of the night for me - everything from the Walter White and Dick Whitman shoutouts, to repping black love like Martin and Gina, to the quip about this being the best adoptive white family on TV. Wish they hadn't played him off.

• Love 14

I was wondering about Elisabeth Moss's faces when Nicole won. Didn't realize she was a Scientologist and was probably making faces for that reason. 

After Nicole's speech, no one should have been played off. 

• Love 17

Handmaid's Tale wins the big one!  So, now I need to get a Hulu subscription and get that on my list!

Not a great night for Westworld, Stranger Things, or Better Call Saul, sadly.  Hopefully they'll get more chances.  Assuming Game of Thrones doesn't torch everything when it comes back into the game next year.

• Love 1
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Handmaid's Tale wins the big one!  So, now I need to get a Hulu subscription and get that on my list!

Not a great night for Westworld, Stranger Things, or Better Call Saul, sadly.  Hopefully they'll get more chances.  Assuming Game of Thrones doesn't torch everything when it comes back into the game next year.

The GoT fandom may want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but honestly...I was not super impressed with the past season of the show.  There were some moments that were fantastic, but as a whole, it didn't do a lot for me.  Which was a real bummer considering how much I'd looked forward to it.

• Love 7

I love Oprah's pantsuit, even if it's not very Emmy-like.

1 minute ago, Macbeth said:

I loved the shout out to Andre Braugher,  Fantastic at both drama and comedy.

He's been robbed for his work as Capt. Holt on Brooklyn 99.  

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I wanted Elisabeth to win, but I would have been happy with Keri or Claire Foy. I really hope they get recognized eventually.

From what I understand, Claire's only got one more shot--aren't they replacing the cast every two seasons as they continue through Elizabeth II's reign?  She was wonderful in that role, but I knew she wasn't beating Elisabeth Moss this year.

• Love 4
Just now, wallflower75 said:

From what I understand, Claire's only got one more shot--aren't they replacing the cast every two seasons as they continue through Elizabeth II's reign?  She was wonderful in that role, but I knew she wasn't beating Elisabeth Moss this year.

Yes, one or two more shots -- I am not sure when they will do a time jump.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

The GoT fandom may want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but honestly...I was not super impressed with the past season of the show.  There were some moments that were fantastic, but as a whole, it didn't do a lot for me.  Which was a real bummer considering how much I'd looked forward to it.

You're not alone. I think the consensus was this was GoT's worst season so far. The writing clearly faltered being this far removed from the books. 

• Love 1