Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I notice no one is playing Nicole off!

Yeah, I'm glad they let her speak, but a part of me is annoyed that they only allowed it because she's a big Hollywood star (they don't give writers, directors, tech folks - or even less famous actors - the same courtesy). 

ETA: And... minutes later, they very rudely drown out Sterling Brown, as he was in the middle of delivering my favorite speech of the night.  Ugh.

Edited by sweetcookieface
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, LilWharveyGal said:

And if I was watching the right row, it looked like Elisabeth Moss bugged out during Nicole's category.

Yeah, how immature. Ms. Moss is a great actress. Why can't she just act cool for a moment. Sit quietly and non-reactive. She totally brought attention to herself making faces and such. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, CofCinci said:

Poor Cicely Tyson. 

Aren't all the speeches on the teleprompter?  She may have had difficulty reading it.  :(  I loved how Anika gently stepped in and helped out, then stepped back when necessary.  

• Love 21

This has been an amazing Emmys this year. I'm so happy that the winners have been pretty diverse and varied. Thrilled for Big Little Lies winning. There was no way it was going to lose. Reese and Nicole's speech? So very important.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'd feel bad, but she handled it well, as did her co-presenter (who is lovely but I don't know her work).

She was the voice of the princess in The Princess and the Frog, was in Dreamgirls and was in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency mini series years ago.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

I'm so happy for San Junipero.  It's nice having a gay themed story that ends happily ever after

Loved that episode! In general, I don't think every single story should be a "happily ever after," because a lot of mainstream/popular things end happily when that's just not true to life. However, I LOVE Black Mirror and when I watch that show I think, "geez, not every episode needs to end on a grim note." So I loved a different ending to an episode of this show.  As a huge TZ fan (a show to which BM is often compared), I appreciated that some of the episodes did have a happy/heartwarming ending.

So while some people say it was too "Americanized" with the happy ending, I thought it was a very enjoyable episode with fantastic performances. And the fact that it was a happy ending for a gay couple makes it a little bit better. (Considering the context of how one of the characters died at a young age, stories like this are still needed.)

Edit to Correct Myself: She didn't die at a young age, but lapsed into a coma at a young age.

Edited by ThisOne
  • Love 5

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

It is melodramatic, but it is pleasant show. I would say a nice show, and I am a sucker for family dramas.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

Is "This Is Us" really that good?  It always seemed kinda...I don't know...melodramatic in the ads and the way all my friends talked about it??

Gut-wrenching and amazing.  Binged it this summer after not believing the hype.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I found it soooo treacly. I stopped watching after a couple episodes. Also, this may have changed since I quit watching, but it annoyed me that Kate's entire character and storyline were about her being fat. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the concept and the tearjerker nature, but people seem to be completely in love with the show.