Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Elizabeth Moss's dress reminded me of my older sister's junior prom dress from the late 90's.

I almost said something about that!  Especially after the announcer mentioned that she'd skipped her last two years of high school as she was walking up to the stage.  I was like, "She's making up for missing the prom with that dress."

• Love 6
11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Elisabeth Moss won.  Happy with the win due to the work.  Not happy because that means Xenu is happy and we can't have that.

Xenu isn't happy. He's the bad guy in that cult. He wants $cientologists to fail.

10 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

To be fair, Nicole won her Oscar in 2003 and Reese won her's in 2006. That's over a decade ago for both of them. They aren't saying they haven't been offered great parts in the past (that's why we know them!). They are saying that they aren't currently being offered great roles. Both women are over 40 and that makes perfect sense. There are many actresses who are quite fabulous but you hardly see them onscreen once they get older. I.E.: Susan Sarandon, Whoopi Goldberg, ect.

I've heard many actresses discuss this - so there must be a grain of truth to it. Anne Hathaway even said that when she turned 30 she stopped getting nearly as many offers as she used to. And she's an actress that has been in quite a few movies. There is a real problem for complex and interesting roles for women. I mean, I'm a huge fan of Rachel McAdams - but she hardly gets to play anything but the romantic love interest.

I applaud Reese and Nicole for being proactive and creating such a wonderful show.

This. There are a few producers (I don't love him but Ryan Murphy hires older actresses all the time for example) out there promoting older women but for the most part women have to make the roles themselves. Reese has been incredibly pro-active in this regard, optioning books left, right and center for not only herself but other women. She isn't picking meaty roles for herself and then surrounding herself with men. Her projects consistently give other women a chance to shine. Good for her. She is using those millions and her Oscar clout to work and to promote other women. I think it's lovely. Also, I loved her crack about letting the mic decide who'd be speaking.

10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I missed Moss as well but wasn't her acting out during the announcement of the Emmy rather than the speech?

Her real faux pas was at the Creative Emmys. She left the room for the category where Leah Remini won knowing ahead of time that Leah's anti-Scientology show was favoured to win. People noticed and since Leah's been well-supported by Hollywood since leaving that cult, people were not impressed with Moss. My understanding is that famous $cientologists get some leeway in dealing with SPs who they don't have personal relationships with, which is why Moss could work with Kidman on Top of the Lake. Nicole is an SP for the Cruise family but not for other cult members who might need to work with her since Nicole has been quiet about everything since leaving Tom. Leah though has gone on a public crusade to take the cult down so every $cientologist is supposed to avoid her.

1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

So much this.  I would have been thrilled if Carrie won as she totally deserved it for The Leftovers.

And I would like to thank Jackie Hoffman who had the most honest reaction to losing the Emmy to Laura Dern.  She yelled damn it twice.  She was pissed.

I am a Pfeiffer fan, but if Michelle had lost to her - I would have been thrilled, as Jackie's Mamacita in The Feud was one of that series' highlights.

Jackie is a character actress and comedienne who's career could really use an Emmy boost.  She deserved the win.  And it would have spared me Laura Dern's acceptance speech.  I like Laura Dern, and I agree with the lack of meaningful woman roles in the movies, but she just pissed me off.

Then Jackie went on twitter and told "jokes" about child sex rings, nepotism and nazis. Not a good look and it makes me happy she didn't win.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Then Jackie went on twitter and told "jokes" about child sex rings, nepotism and nazis. Not a good look and it makes me happy she didn't win.

I just read Jackie's twitter.  She's a comedienne.  She's not pro Nazi or pro child abuse.  She was making fun of herself - acting like a sore loser.  Context is everything.

I am not getting into a fight.  But I could not just let a lot of terrible accusations hang out there without checking out what you were talking about.  I don't agree with you at all. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I just read Jackie's twitter.  She's a comedienne.  She's not pro Nazi or pro child abuse.  She was making fun of herself - acting like a sore loser.  Context is everything.

I am not getting into a fight.  But I could not just let a lot of terrible accusations hang out there without checking out what you were talking about.  I don't agree with you at all. 

And I would say that I get the idea of making fun of yourself but she roped Laura Dern into it and that's not cool. I also don't think there is any way to joke about child sex slavery. I didn't know anything about Jackie going into last night and now that I do, I'm not a fan. That's me.

• Love 7

3 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Frito Lay makes bread now?

Bwa-haha!

Jackie's Mamacita in The Feud was one of that series' highlights...

I found Feud cartoonish but I agree with you there.

People get left out of that segment ALL THE TIME.

Did Joseph Mascolo get honored during the Daytime Emmys? I was really hoping to see him featured last night even though he wasn't technically a Primetime actor...

I really liked Jessica Biel's hair and dress, but I thought it would have looked a million times better on almost anybody else.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Enero said:

Well that's because Jennifer Lawrence is getting almost every  "complex" movie  role out there that could be handle by more mature and experienced actresses. With regards to Nicole and Reese's complaints, I get it, but its difficult for me to sympathize when they are still in fact getting interesting roles - Nicole in particular, in the medium of television/streaming. While women of color struggle to get roles no matter their ages or the medium of entertainment. 

But I digress, I am over the moon for Sterling K. Brown! I do not watch This is Us and have zero interest in it, but this guy is a great actor. I'm glad he received recognition.

I'm also thrilled about  Donald Glover. ATL is a very funny and original show. Happy its also receiving the recognition it deserves. 

I love JLD. I think she's awesome. Have enjoyed her since Seinfeld, but is she and VEEP really the funniest show and actress out there? I think she and her show as won in their categories for the past several years. Surely there are others that are doing comedy just as good or better than her show. 

I think that may eventually come back and hurt Jennifer later in her career. I could be wrong but its what I think.

12 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Oops, when I said "bugged out" I meant left the room.  When Nicole was walking up to the stage it looked like there was a seat filler where Elisabeth had been.  The light pink dress was missing.

Wouldn't surprise me.  It was reported recently that when Leah Remini won an award for her Aftermath show that Moss got up and left the room.  I watched first 2 eps of Handmaid's and I am torn because I loved it and feel it is vitally important to watch it and it disturbed me, but I just cannot get past Moss being a Scientologist and I had originally stayed away from it for that fact alone.  I just feel like supporting a Scientologist actor is supporting the cult, so as happy as I am that the show was honored last night, I am conflicted because of Moss. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Did they forget Glenne Headly in the In Memoriam? I figured she'd be in it since she was a part of The Night Of cast.

Yes they did, and she had been nominated for 2 Emmys - Lonesome Dove and Bastard Out of Carolina.

I know they leave a lot of people out, but still.  Dick Gregory was left out as well.  Come on Emmys.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Reese has been incredibly pro-active in this regard, optioning books left, right and center for not only herself but other women. She isn't picking meaty roles for herself and then surrounding herself with men. Her projects consistently give other women a chance to shine. Good for her. She is using those millions and her Oscar clout to work and to promote other women. I think it's lovely. Also, I loved her crack about letting the mic decide who'd be speaking.

Reese really has rehabbed her image since the unfortunate DUI incident with her husband a few years ago, and like most have said, more importantly, she has walked the walk and not just talked the talk.

Re: older women getting significant roles though, I see the problem. But at the same time, I think there are a lot of nuances to this that should also be thoroughly discussed. It's true that women over a certain age are not getting cast as the lead in blockbuster movies, save maybe for JLaw and Scarlett Johanssen, and everyone else younger than them. But if you look at the Oscars the last 10 years, it's not only young, hotshot, women who have been nominated for the Best Actress award. Since 2007, only four women under 30 have won the award (Jlaw, Natalie (who is now 35 but won when she was 29), Brie, Emma). Everyone else have been your "experienced" actresses (Cate, Sandra, Meryl, etc). It was only two years ago that a 50+ year-old Julianne Moore won the award. As for the other nominees? They were Meryl, Kate, Reese, Sandra B., Cate B., Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain, Viola, Glenn Close, 80+ year old Emmanuel Riva, 70+ years old Charlotte Rampling, etc. Actresses who have a lifetime of acting experience between all of them. It has not always been JLaw, or Brie, or Emma, or Chloe or Hailee. I think the conversation should not be an entire generalization of "there are no good roles for women over ___, but rather, roles for women where there would be more exposure for them to a wider audience, so that there wouldn't be a perception that there are no more good roles for women over ___. Clearly, if ladies over 30 and/or 40 are getting more nominated than your 20-30 year olds, then that means they get the meatier roles. It's a matter of getting these meatier roles exposed to a wider audience. 

• Love 3

If anybody really gets a career boost from these awards, I hope it's Ann Dowd.  She needs to work more.

Heh..  she doesn't seem to need the work. She's one of those actors who I know I've seen-- I imdb'ed her and damn! She must work non-stop-- but mostly in supporting roles. And, as always with the In Memorium section-- I wish they would cut out the audio from the theatre-- I think it's a little disrespectful to clap (-- and it's especially glaring when there is much applause for some, and very little for others (most significantly the off-screen departed).

• Love 1

Re: Elizabeth Moss/Nicole Kidman-gate... didn't Kidman join the cast of Top of the Lake, which stars Elizabeth Moss? Elizabeth Moss also acted along side Mimi Rogers in Mad Men (I don't know that Mimi actually left the Church, but she's usually on the "former members" list.) I hate that Elizabeth Moss is associated with the CoS, because I think she picks amazing roles, but I think the most high key Scientology thing she's ever done was walk out of Leah Remini's award speech.

• Love 2

Not yet commenting on the show specifically, because I haven't finished watching it yet.  Just like they said at the beginning of the show, there's just so much on TV, its impossible to watch it all.  Thus, I have to record the Emmy's because just like every other TV show, I ain't got time for commercials.  So I watch something else on DVR while the Emmy's start, then I watch about the first hour or so of the Emmys (via DVR) before bed.  I'll watch the rest tonight.

I did agree with the awards for John Lithgow (that was a tough category), Kate McKinnon, Alec Baldwin and SNL (which was just great this season, but then, they had fantastic material to work with - at least for the most part).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Yes!  I remember an episode of Sex and the City where Miranda is buying a bra and dress to wear to her mother's funeral and is fighting with the saleslady played by Margo ... Margo had only a few lines but was SO memorable as Miranda realized the fight she was having with the saleslady was the same type of fight she would be having with her mother.

The bra saleswoman wasn't Margo Martindale, it was Mary Pat Gleeson.

As for Elisabeth Moss - I have absolutely zero respect for the CoS, but I find her membership a lot easier to take when I consider that she's second-generation, and has never known anything else.

• Love 3

The Handmaid's Tale didn't really interest me so I can't really comment on whether Elisabeth is any good in it or not, but I was annoyed secondhand with her win regardless, and I realized it was because I was never ever as enamored with Peggy as I felt the ctitics were.  I just never saw it and found Peggy to be really annoying and not rootable.

Also in the pic they ran in today's paper she was sticking her tongue out on the red carpet which I personally don't find charming.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

YOU'RE RIGHT!!  I guess she needs to get out there more--she deserves more roles! 

Character Actress Margo Martindale has been a good minor character on BoJack Horseman, although she didn't appear in the most recent season.

1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

And, as always with the In Memorium section-- I wish they would cut out the audio from the theatre-- I think it's a little disrespectful to clap (-- and it's especially glaring when there is much applause for some, and very little for others (most significantly the off-screen departed).

A while back, someone here (or maybe on TWOP) called it the world's worst popularity contest.

• Love 8

Oprah's fat again?  Heck yeah!  She's endlessly brilliant and creative, one of the richest women in the world, amazingly philanthropic, and she does exactly  what she wants to do  when she wants to do it.  Thank God there's one woman in the world who doesn't  worry about the number on a scale. 

I was really rooting for Bob Odenkirk to win for the most complex, fabulous role ever as Saul Goodman but I loved Sterling K Brown's hilarious speech and I'm happy for him.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

but I loved Sterling K Brown's hilarious speech and I'm happy for him.

but I hated  how he was cut short, while earlier Nicole Kidman (whom I adore) went on ad nauseum.

How cute was SKB when he said his TV family was the best white family a brother ever had and that includes Webster!

13 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

WTF production touch: playing winners onstage with You Don't Own Me

It was featured on The Handmaid's Tale.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 7

Why is it that Viola Davis get it so right on every red carpet, but so many get it wrong---and those who get it wrong get it wrong every single time.  She needs to be a stylist in addition to a fantastic actress. Sophia Vergara needs to change it up.  Show after show it's the same freaking look from her.  Yes, she has a killer, curvy body, but all she wears is the strapless mermaid dress, albeit in different colors. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, vibeology said:

And I would say that I get the idea of making fun of yourself but she roped Laura Dern into it and that's not cool. I also don't think there is any way to joke about child sex slavery. I didn't know anything about Jackie going into last night and now that I do, I'm not a fan. That's me.

She has done a good job acting in anything I have seen her in over the years, including the role that got her the nomination.  Never had any thoughts about her aside from that until seeing her as a guest on Watch What Happens Live one night earlier this year.  She seemed intentionally mean and nasty to the Housewife guest who appeared on the episode with her, going for a joke at the other's expense.  To me it came across as though nastiness, rather than comedy, seemed to be the driving factor.   Got the same vibe from how she handled the Emmy loss.    

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Katherine said:

I'm a big fan of This is Us but I don't think it's as high calibre as some of the other nominees. I'm happy Sterling K. Brown won though, and I loved his speech.

Ditto, This Is Us is a good show, SKB is awesome, as is the woman who plays his wife, and the storyline with his bio-dad was just simply great TV storytelling.  But the subplots with the brother, sister and parents were so mediocre, poorly acted and blandly written, it made the SBK storyline shine even more. 

I can't imagine the writers improving on that first season storyline, so I won't be tuning in for season 2.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, but I've tried several times, and VEEP is just not funny.  Neither is JLD.  But, to be fair, there's not a lot of quality comedy on TV these days.  Nicest turd in the bowl, I guess.

And Margo Martindale was excellent on Justified.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I'm sorry, but I've tried several times, and VEEP is just not funny.  Neither is JLD.  But, to be fair, there's not a lot of quality comedy on TV these days.  Nicest turd in the bowl, I guess.

Depends what you consider quality.  Now as someone who doesn't watch alot of comedies much less comedies that win awards I have found a few that I like.  Santa Clarita Diet over on Netflix is funny (People who gave up on it couldn't get passed the initial vomit gag which went on a bit too long but once you get passed that it is actually a sweet and funny show).  There is The Good Place which I admit I initially gave up on after the pilot but then I watched it on Netflix when it got a second season and Its pretty good.    Mom on CBS has been going for a couple seasons now and when it finds its groove it is funnier then alot of CBS's better known comedies.  There are probably a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head.  

2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Why is it that Viola Davis get it so right on every red carpet, but so many get it wrong---and those who get it wrong get it wrong every single time.  She needs to be a stylist in addition to a fantastic actress. Sophia Vergara needs to change it up.  Show after show it's the same freaking look from her.  Yes, she has a killer, curvy body, but all she wears is the strapless mermaid dress, albeit in different colors. 

One, Viola has a stylist like most other stars. And while I'm sure she weighs in, it's not merely Viola picking out things and getting it right among everyone else so much that she herself needs to give others pointers. She has a good stylist who clearly knows how to pick out good options that will flatter her client. I thought she looked stunning, but I recognize she looks good in almost every color and it allows her to wear more.

Two, I personally, don't mind Sophia wearing similar style gowns, but I know others do. But I also remember her wearing a different style dress a time or two (likely bowing down to the constant criticism) at an award show and it didn't look good, she made the worst dressed list for many people. She may be beautiful, but pretty sure it's safe to say her killer curvy body makes it much harder to dress in different styles than people realize. I remember similar criticism about Selma Hayek and then not quite as much after the same thing happened. Some women are just lucky enough to be able to look good in way more different styles than others.

As gorgeous as Sofia is, she's clearly determined over the years that strapless and mermaid dresses are more flattering on her than others. I think it must be difficult to be on display and judged harshly the way these actresses constantly are on the red carpet. I say wear something you can feel confident in, even if it's a similar style.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Depends what you consider quality.  Now as someone who doesn't watch alot of comedies much less comedies that win awards I have found a few that I like.  Santa Clarita Diet over on Netflix is funny (People who gave up on it couldn't get passed the initial vomit gag which went on a bit too long but once you get passed that it is actually a sweet and funny show).  There is The Good Place which I admit I initially gave up on after the pilot but then I watched it on Netflix when it got a second season and Its pretty good.    Mom on CBS has been going for a couple seasons now and when it finds its groove it is funnier then alot of CBS's better known comedies.  There are probably a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head.  

1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I watch Mom and The Good Place and would agree.  South Park is also very funny.

I agree as well. Sometimes, shows just take awhile to get their groove on. I thought Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was one of those shows, and it's one of my favorites now after the first few episodes. Not everything can explode with twists and turns on the pilot. I also love Fresh Off The Boat and think Constance Wu is one of the hidden gems in TV Comedy. It's not as sharp as the other critically-acclaimed comedies but it hits just the right enough notes on 90s nostalgia for me, and growing up Asian.

One of the more criminally underrated comedies out there is Episodes. Ok, maybe not criminally underrated as it got Matt LeBlanc some well-deserved Emmy nominations, but it should have gotten more nominations than that, like maybe Outstanding Comedy Series and a Supporting Actress nod for Kathleen Rose Perkins.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

South Park is also very funny.

The only animated comedy I watch is Archer.  I just can't with Family Guy or Bojack Horseman mainly because of the animals having sex with humans is my one true trigger.  (I think its the only one I actually have).    The Simpsons I watch on occasion and South Park....ehhh never really appealed to me.  

I've tried with some of the more current favorite comedies like Unbreakable Kimmy and although I "liked" the first season I had no urge to watch the second.   I don't understand the appeal of Master of None.   I found the entire thing unfunny.      Which is probably why I stay away from the comedy section of the awards.  I just don't get it.  

I'll save my annoyance for when my favorite shows don't win in drama.  

Although i did do fairly well in the Limited Series category.   I watched 3 out of the 5.   I am more then happy that Big Little Lies did so well.  Awesome series.  I would have also accepted Feud.   Fargo had its worst season so I wouldn't have been happy if it won.  The other two.....look interesting.  I might check them out if I can find them.    

I will to the end of time think The Americans got snubbed.  

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I will to the end of time think The Americans got snubbed.  

So much this. Keri and Matthew, and the show itself, have  deserved Emmys. Maybe not every season, but at least once, dammit!

• Love 12
21 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

The GoT fandom may want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but honestly...I was not super impressed with the past season of the show.  There were some moments that were fantastic, but as a whole, it didn't do a lot for me.  Which was a real bummer considering how much I'd looked forward to it.

I won't disagree with you there.  I'm going to be more disappointed if the usual suspects like Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, and Emilia Clarke get nominations instead of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.  Dinklage didn't have much to do and Headey should have won for S5 or S6.  Clarke is easily the weakest actor among the main cast. The last three did a lot with underwritten storylines, one of the problems of having a shortened season. 

• Love 5

I started to watch, but tuned out as soon as I realized that I was going to get politics shoved down my throat all night long. Seriously, I don't want to hear about that from a bunch of entertainers, most of whom don't have the brainpower to manage their own lives without adult supervision, and I don't want to hear it during a program supposedly devoted to excellence in entertainment.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, anyanka323 said:

I won't disagree with you there.  I'm going to be more disappointed if the usual suspects like Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, and Emilia Clarke get nominations instead of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.  Dinklage didn't have much to do and Headey should have won for S5 or S6.  Clarke is easily the weakest actor among the main cast. The last three did a lot with underwritten storylines, one of the problems of having a shortened season. 

If Dinklage and Headey submit the season finale with the Tyrion/Cersei conversation then they may be nominated. That was just a stellar scene with two actual good actors.

I would be down for Sophie and Maisie to get noms. Emilia Clarke seems like a very sweet person, and I sometimes like Daenerys, but she's always just so dead-faced to me.

9 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

I started to watch, but tuned out as soon as I realized that I was going to get politics shoved down my throat all night long. Seriously, I don't want to hear about that from a bunch of entertainers, most of whom don't have the brainpower to manage their own lives without adult supervision, and I don't want to hear it during a program supposedly devoted to excellence in entertainment.

I mean that's your right, to not listen to them. But they have opinions, and they have a platform, and they are perfectly within their rights to use that platform to express their opinions. And I wouldn't say they don't have brainpower, considering many of them are highly educated and highly successful at what they do. 

Also, it's the Emmys filled with a bunch of liberal Hollywood elites. What did you expect?

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Honestly, I thought the political commentary was generally pretty restrained overall, personally. And really, when has there been an awards show that wasn't political in nature somehow? Entertainment and politics have a long history of being entwined in some form or another. 

I did think Colbert was having a great opening in humor and topicality but I thought he spent way too much time on the guy I'd rather pretend doesn't exist.

• Love 6

Eh, well, his show's been doing well with all the Trump coverage this year and he's known for his political comedy in general, so it probably would've seemed weird if he hadn't brought him up at some point as a result :p.

That said, I also understand and sympathize with your point that it would be nice to not have to think about Trump for an evening, yeah. 

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, anyanka323 said:

I won't disagree with you there.  I'm going to be more disappointed if the usual suspects like Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, and Emilia Clarke get nominations instead of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.

Nikolaj needs to be nominated.  He was amazing this season.  I am not a big Jaime fan. But NCW really impressed me this season.  His acting made the battle scene in Spoils of Wars work.

• Love 2

As a Canadian, I couldn't be more proud of my fellow Torontonian Margaret Atwood!  For decades we Canadians have been reading her books and studying them in school, so it's nice to see her getting some much-deserved high profile recognition outside of Canada.  

As an aside, if you think it's freaky to watch the show, imagine you're in downtown Toronto, going about your usual lunchtime routine, and you come across a bunch of handmaidens eating lunch in the food court (in full costume)!  At the time, I had no idea the show was being filmed, and said to myself, this looks like something out of The Handmaid's Tale!  A bit of googling confirmed my suspicions.  So thrilled that the show turned out to be such a success. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

OMG he/she is still alive:

Best: Norman Lear at 95

If they ever make a live avtion Simpsons movie, Norman Lear is Montgomery Burns.

11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Negan sucks but I LOVE JDM.  My Supernatural loving heart is all full of pride for Sterling and JDM.

I hate that guy. He totally is the actor a show or movie gets when they want Robert Downey Jr but can't afford him. And unfortunately almost no one can afford Robert Downey Jr.

23 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Reese Witherspoon has never aged has she?  She could do a remake of both Pleasantville and Election and play the same roles

Speaking of never ages Edie Falco looks younger now than she did as Carmela Soprano,and that was 18 years ago.

23 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Thank you Smirnoff for reminding me of the snub that bothered me the most in the Emmy's - Ted Danson not being nominated for  The Good Place.

Michael was one of the best characters on TV last year and his turn in the last episode was a thing of beauty and a masterclass in acting. What did that plant do to you Michael?

I didn't really follow the nominations so that was probably the most shocki g miss to me. Not only is Danson awesome on that show (which is also awesome) but i would think that with his decades in Hollywood he would have worked with so many people and made so many connections he would have been an easy nomination. Even just from people who knew him but never saw the show.

On 17/09/2017 at 9:50 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Why stupid Seth MacFarlane voices?

YEAH!  San Junipero won!

That bit would have worked better i think if it was Mike Judge. And he at least had a show nominated for stuff.

On 17/09/2017 at 9:39 PM, Laurie4H said:

I'm in the minority here but why do we need to hear about diversity....and the fact that Lena is the first African American woman to win got writing?  Who cares?  If she is talented why does it matter what race or gender she is?  The whole clip on diversity is so self righteous.  There has always been inclusion.  Making it about race IS racist.

I don't mind hearing about diversity, i like seeing stories of people with backgrounds different than mine. That said i always wonder how "most diverse" is measured. Like if they had a large overall percentage of black nominees, but almost no other races would that be considered more or less diverse the a bunch of different races all each getting a small percentage of nominations (even if the total percentage was less than the first option)?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I hate that guy. He totally is the actor a show or movie gets when they want Robert Downey Jr but can't afford him. And unfortunately almost no one can afford Robert Downey Jr

I don't know how to take this comment. Are you mad that he has good roles. Or you think he's a crappy actor because he's not RDJ? I'm totally confused LOL

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lizzie3 said:

As a Canadian, I couldn't be more proud of my fellow Torontonian Margaret Atwood!  For decades we Canadians have been reading her books and studying them in school, so it's nice to see her getting some much-deserved high profile recognition outside of Canada.  

As an aside, if you think it's freaky to watch the show, imagine you're in downtown Toronto, going about your usual lunchtime routine, and you come across a bunch of handmaidens eating lunch in the food court (in full costume)!  At the time, I had no idea the show was being filmed, and said to myself, this looks like something out of The Handmaid's Tale!  A bit of googling confirmed my suspicions.  So thrilled that the show turned out to be such a success. 

They dressed up the Emmy in the costume!  (held by Elizabeth Moss) 

emmy 17.png

• Love 11
On 9/17/2017 at 7:21 PM, Amethyst said:

Is Chance the Rapper doing the commercial announcements?

The announcer was Jermaine Fowler. He's 1 of the stars, & the Executive Producer, of a comedy show called Superior Donuts which also has Judd Hirsch in it & airs  on Monday nights on CBS.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:06 PM, jjj said:

I actually was expecting a selfie from the dancers...

She did?  Was that from a pre-television award ceremony?  And Gerald Mcraney?

The Emmys for the Outstanding Guest Actors & Actresses in Comedy & Drama Series are presented, along with Emmys for certain categories of programming, & other achievements in television (see the linked article for more info), during a ceremony called The Creative Arts Emmy Awards (think of it like the non-televised parts of the Grammy & Tony Awards, although the Creative Arts Emmys have been televised on different cable networks in recent years). These are presented the weekend before the Primetime Emmys when the more important categories are awarded. While the Guest Acting winners don't get to have their Emmys presented in "the big show", they do get recognized as winners & they also get to present an award (sometimes 2) in the televised show.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:08 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Playing someone off should be banned unless they're going over five minutes

And they probably should play everyone off, instead of, like, playing off Sterling K. Brown during his longish speech & not playing off Nicole Kidman (or whomever the other example was) during her longish speech. 

They mentioned how Sterling K. Brown--an African-American actor who won his 2nd Emmy this year for This is Us--got played off during a longish speech, while a Caucasian winner (who may or may not have been Nicole Kidman... I forget) who was also making a longish speech was allowed to finish in writing about the show.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:44 AM, Psychobunny said:

My thoughts on the show after having seen it but not yet read any comments:

Best way to watch the show: fast forward 

Best comedy "bit": tie between Sean Spicer and the interview with Emmy

Worst comedy "bit": vibrator joke 

Best speech (heartfelt): writer for Master of None

Best speech ( comedy): VEEP producer

Worst speech: none-fast forward is my new best friend 

Best dressed: Nicole Kidman

(runner up Lea Michele)

Worst dressed: Winner for directing something who looked like she was wearing a pretty white dress but had accidentally peed herself when she found out that she won 

(runner up Oprah who I know can do better)

Best rack: Anika Noni Rose (sorry Dolly)

Best plastic surgery: Jane Fonda (normally, I don't give this one because the best plastic surgery is the surgery you don't notice but she looks younger than she did 20 years ago when she had wrinkles)

Nice production touch: ending the In Memoriam segment with the end of the MTM show 

WTF production touch: playing winners onstage with You Don't Own Me

Worst production touch: the writing for the descriptions of the winners (maybe tell me something that I would be interested in, like what they won prior Emmys for rather than that they graduated high school two years early)

(runner up-the announcer himself; the best announcers you don't notice at all rather than wondering what they just said)

OMG he/she is still alive:

Best: Norman Lear at 95

Worst: Cicely Tyson at 92

Shows the Emmys reminded me I intend to watch someday:

Master of None

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Grace and Frankie

Last Week Tonight

Shows I've never heard of but will now probably google but never actually watch:

Atlanta

The Night of

It seems to me the only times they played You Don't Own Me was when someone won from The Handmaid's Tale. I haven't seen that show (yet), but could it be the theme song or something? Somehow I could see at least a loose connection between that show & that song.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Did they forget Glenne Headly in the In Memoriam? I figured she'd be in it since she was a part of The Night Of cast.

Glenne Headly?!?  I had no idea.  Mortal Thoughts is one of my favorite movies.  And it turns out I was watching her storyline in ancient ER reruns right around the time she died.  I'm so sad.

(Why on earth would they omit an actress who not only had Emmy nominations, but recent acclaimed appearances in the medium???)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

How cute was SKB when he said his TV family was the best white family a brother ever had and that includes Webster!

Holy crap! I flashbacked to the ep of This is Us when Randall met family in Memphis and proclaimed, "I was raised by white people!" That killed me. I was tee-heeing over that one for days. So happy SKB won. He is simply phenomenal and earns uber points for the Frank Pembleton shoutout. I loved Homicide and I'm not a criminal drama fan but that show was exceptional.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Why not? Spouting political opinions worked out pretty well for Mr. "Reality TV star" Trump, after all, so...

Honestly, I thought the political commentary was generally pretty restrained overall, personally. And really, when has there been an awards show that wasn't political in nature somehow? Entertainment and politics have a long history of being entwined in some form or another. 

And, as human beings, actors & actresses, & other celebs--including the household names--have just as much right to express their opinions on current events, or whatever, as those of us who aren't actors. You don't have to listen to what the celebs say, or to agree with it, anymore than you have to listen to, or agree with, the opinions of your friends & family members when it comes to current events, etc.

• Love 19