Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

If anyone asked what are my plans I said my uncle. I lie like a rug about him. I describe him as a nice person who is helping me out/invites me over. 

Reality nope. 

I was supposed to spend part of thanksgiving with a “friend “ but her family is doing a reunion. And she doesn’t celebrate thanksgiving anyway. Oh well. Maybe I will go to ihop or Boston market and movies. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

If anyone asked what are my plans I said my uncle. I lie like a rug about him. I describe him as a nice person who is helping me out/invites me over. 

Reality nope. 

I was supposed to spend part of thanksgiving with a “friend “ but her family is doing a reunion. And she doesn’t celebrate thanksgiving anyway. Oh well. Maybe I will go to ihop or Boston market and movies. 

galaxychaser, I always lied like a rug about Easter. Mom use to make us all get together, even though most of my large family are not at all religious. She stopped caring (probably because she has my ne'er do well brother living with her, keeping her company) and I felt like I was off the hook.  But when I was working and everyone would ask, just like they do about Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'd let them think we were all getting together. In truth, Mr. Betybee and I would hang out and eat a normal meal. I pay plenty of attention to my Mother (who was a pretty neglectful Mom) and no stupid co-worker is going to make me feel badly about spending any holiday the way I choose. 

• Love 18

Thanks, @Mindthinkr - what a kind and thoughtful post! Wishing you a good Thanksgiving week too. 

I've never felt the "magic of Christmas" or Thanksgiving, for that matter. Even as a kid. I'm lucky to have a bunch of nice relatives (cousins) here in town with whom I'm close. So close that my cousin's kids often refer to me as their aunt. Fortunately this family is made up of people who are easy-going, hard-working, and very very NOT prone to drah-mah. So holidays are pleasant and fun. I appreciate this more as I get older. 

But still, they could abolish Thanksgiving and I'd be glad. Many many years ago when I was barely out of college my dad woke up feeling ill on Thanksgiving morning. By afternoon he was in the hospital, diagnosed with a heart attack and in the cardiac care unit. By Monday morning, he was dead. Took me a long time to not absolutely hate Thanksgiving but eventually I got there.

We're having a big snow storm here, lots of snow and wind, closures of schools, businesses, and more. Roads a mess. Glad I can stay home and work today. 

Take care, everyone. And do what you need to, to cope with the whole holiday thing. 

• Love 18

I'm not doing a damn thing for Turkey Day - we have my grandmother's wake tomorrow, which was inevitable given her age but still sad.  I think Turkey Day we may go see a movie, I need some fairly mindless entertainment.  

My husband, bless him, has decided to go full tilt boogie on the X-mas decorations this year, he's promised to put up the tree either this weekend or next - though I suspect I will not be putting out glass anything this year since we have a six month old kitten and she is WILD.  She has no manners whatsoever, and thinks nothing of provoking the three older male cats to distraction.  She's shredding my desk chair, and has no shame as she'll dig in while I'm sitting in it.  She's a seal point Siamese plus whatever else neighborhood tabby genes, very lithe and energetic.  Of course this makes her amusing and a wonderful distraction.  

Whether you are spending it with family or not, friends or not, I wish you all a safe and peaceful holiday tomorrow.

• Love 15

Sorry for all of you dealing with difficult relatives/difficult situations during the holidays. There's a lot of estrangements in my family, too, so sometimes Thanksgiving and Christmas can be tense for us. This year should be a small gathering. Hopefully a good one. 

The holiday that makes me the most uncomfortable is Mother's Day. Not spoken to the woman in 20 years, and I just sort of die inside when people inevitably start posting on FB that time of year about how wonderful all mothers are. Um, no, they're not all wonderful. Some of them are cold-hearted bitches. But I keep that to myself--except for here--since that often triggers people trying to guilt trip me. 🙄

In any event, because of my own experiences, I never judge anyone for being estranged from family. Cutting toxic people out of your life for your own sanity is never anything to be ashamed of, no matter what anyone tries to tell you. 

• Love 21

Super stupid rant. Wendy show does yearly Christmas giveaway shows. I am banned from her show for some reason. My ticket request are not going through so yep someone working there hates me. 

It would have been nice to get some free stuff 🤣.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Super stupid rant. Wendy show does yearly Christmas giveaway shows. I am banned from her show for some reason. My ticket request are not going through so yep someone working there hates me. 

It would have been nice to get some free stuff 🤣.

Create a new account under a different name?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

@jcbrown I want that Stilton shortbread like crazy. Cheese is my happy place. 

The recipe is here. Since is it an Ina recipe, I knew to back off the salt--I would cut it to a scant teaspoon if I were to make it again. Next time I will increase the pepper and the walnuts and top them with some of the nuts, as well as roll them in the nuts. Oh--and use two cookie sheets. The texture is really great and I think they will be quite nice with champagne. Stupid easy recipe, too.

1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

My husband, bless him, has decided to go full tilt boogie on the X-mas decorations this year, he's promised to put up the tree either this weekend or next - though I suspect I will not be putting out glass anything this year since we have a six month old kitten and she is WILD.  She has no manners whatsoever, and thinks nothing of provoking the three older male cats to distraction.  She's shredding my desk chair, and has no shame as she'll dig in while I'm sitting in it.  She's a seal point Siamese plus whatever else neighborhood tabby genes, very lithe and energetic.  Of course this makes her amusing and a wonderful distraction.  

My experience is that Siamese and related breeds tend to be quite willful, generally in a delightful way. Our Pixie is not Siamese but the has very strong opinions on What Pixie Gets To Do. The first year she was with us, I ended up taking down the tree the day after X-mas because she would. not. leave. it. alone. And I decorated strategically, too, with nothing breakable within reach. Fortunately, age brings some mellowing to even the most determined creature. Enjoy your tree terrorist!

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t think that will work for Galaxy Chaser. Last time I heard about tickets to her show you had to submit a picture of yourself with your ticket request. I also suspect that she wants an email too and then has someone vent her audience to make sure that the naysayers and haters are not in it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

They check state ID. And I did just make a new email nope. Asked for tickets under my moms name. It went through. 

I am banned from the show I guess. 

It is what it is.

It's uncommon that if you win a contest from a certain person/company, the contest holders make you wait a certain period (like a year) before you can enter again.  If you had won something from Wendy before, it's possible she wants you to wait longer before she gives you another prize in a giveway. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 4
47 minutes ago, Temperance said:

It's uncommon that if you win a contest from a certain person/company, the contest holders make you wait a certain period (like a year) before you can enter again.  If you had won something from Wendy before, it's possible she wants you to wait longer before she gives you another prize in a giveway. 

It’s to attend her show in person.

I don’t enter contests online.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'd like to wish all of you a nice holiday, regardless how you spend it....relaxing, cooking, or dealing with some challenging family members! lol  I hope all are well too.  Some here are ill, as are their family members. I know that is tough. I'm glad to see there is good news on the health front too!   So far, we are on track for a healthy Thanksgiving this year. 

A few years ago we started doing a Thanksgiving Breakfast, with lots of dishes, like ham, eggs, grits, hash browns, pancakes, etc. It works well, because, most are hungry and not too rushed in the a.m.. We get a chance to have coffee, chat and eat, before they go their separate directions.  Some  of us hang out and have a small, traditional meal for dinner. 

This year for the big breakfast, I decided to add some entertainment (we have a tradition of the entire family/extended family singing a few carols on Christmas Eve.) and I bought a Panda Head for me and a Panda furry mask for my special needs niece. We also have a giant stuffed bear that my dad bought on a whim. We are going to do a dance number as Pandas with a bear.  If you have any song suggestions just let me know. We are going to practice tomorrow.  I can't wait. She's excited too.  It'l look a lot like this:

https://www.halloweencostumes.com/kid-s-panda-bear-costume.html?mpid=216068&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-7Q-5SJ5gIVGKSzCh3lDQ5zEAQYBSABEgIDovD_BwE

Safe travels for those on the roadways. 

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'd like to wish all of you a nice holiday, regardless how you spend it....relaxing, cooking, or dealing with some challenging family members! lol  I hope all are well too.  Some here are ill, as are their family members. I know that is tough. I'm glad to see there is good news on the health front too!   So far, we are on track for a healthy Thanksgiving this year. 

A few years ago we started doing a Thanksgiving Breakfast, with lots of dishes, like ham, eggs, grits, hash browns, pancakes, etc. It works well, because, most are hungry and not too rushed in the a.m.. We get a chance to have coffee, chat and eat, before they go their separate directions.  Some  of us hang out and have a small, traditional meal for dinner. 

This year for the big breakfast, I decided to add some entertainment (we have a tradition of the entire family/extended family singing a few carols on Christmas Eve.) and I bought a Panda Head for me and a Panda furry mask for my special needs niece. We also have a giant stuffed bear that my dad bought on a whim. We are going to do a dance number as Pandas with a bear.  If you have any song suggestions just let me know. We are going to practice tomorrow.  I can't wait. She's excited too.  It'l look a lot like this:

https://www.halloweencostumes.com/kid-s-panda-bear-costume.html?mpid=216068&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-7Q-5SJ5gIVGKSzCh3lDQ5zEAQYBSABEgIDovD_BwE

Safe travels for those on the roadways. 

Not sure what type of songs you are looking for but the image of some bears doing The Hokey pokey is making me smile.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

My father passed away peacefully last evening.  He was a 95-year-old WWII and Korea Navy vet, and a very, very kind man.  He valued education very highly, and was very well-read.  He was very loving and giving, and helped so may people, not only through his job as a pharmacist, but in his giving and work with many charities.  He had developed an odd neurological condition that destroyed first his ability to speak, and then his ability to swallow.  He was mostly unresponsive for the past several weeks, and I am glad that he was finally able to go, but I will miss him.  My mother's dementia has progresses very quickly, and she is still not sure where he is, and is convinced that no one has told her he is gone.  So now the real fun begins!  I am so fortunate that my brother and I are a real team and are in total agreement on all of our decisions.  We planned the memorial service today, and are ready for the service Tuesday.  I think the man at the funeral home was surprised that we walked in with his Navy uniform, his completed obit, and that we knew exactly what services we wanted.  If nothing else, we are ORGANIZED.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My father passed away peacefully last evening.  He was a 95-year-old WWII and Korea Navy vet, and a very, very kind man.  He valued education very highly, and was very well-read.  He was very loving and giving, and helped so may people, not only through his job as a pharmacist, but in his giving and work with many charities.  He had developed an odd neurological condition that destroyed first his ability to speak, and then his ability to swallow.  He was mostly unresponsive for the past several weeks, and I am glad that he was finally able to go, but I will miss him.  My mother's dementia has progresses very quickly, and she is still not sure where he is, and is convinced that no one has told her he is gone.  So now the real fun begins!  I am so fortunate that my brother and I are a real team and are in total agreement on all of our decisions.  We planned the memorial service today, and are ready for the service Tuesday.  I think the man at the funeral home was surprised that we walked in with his Navy uniform, his completed obit, and that we knew exactly what services we wanted.  If nothing else, we are ORGANIZED.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like he was a wonderful, honorable man and a great Dad. My prayers and condolences are with you and your family at this difficult time.  

• Love 14

I can’t imagine doing a big family dinner then 4 weeks later another one😮

I guess if the hosting family isn’t the same each time it could be doable

In our family it would be me hosting both times and with multiple food allergies and preferences it’s a huge for me 

Currently trying to work out a menu that will cater to everyone on Christmas Day and my brain hurts 

Hats off to everyone thT does it twice in a month!

• Love 6

@CalicoKitty I’m sorry to hear about your Dad. You have my sympathy and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. I’m glad that you and your brother are a untied force and so prepared. Your Father would be proud. 

I hate it for people when their loved one dies around a holiday. It makes a sad association with what should be a happy day for family and loved ones. 

• Love 8

Calicokitty, I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your father. That must be so tough on you and your brother. I can't imagine what you're going through.  And, what an inspiring man he was.  I do appreciate his service to this country.  He sounds like an awesome person.   I'm also sorry to read about your mother.  Dementia is so cruel.  As you know, I am the caregiver or my cousin who is in late stage dementia now and on Hospice. Bless you for all you do.  It's good you have your brother for support and comfort. Take care of yourself too, as you move forward with this. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I am glad your father is at peace, and that you and your brother are united team. After the funeral is complete please be gentle with yourself, how fortunate you were to have him for so long, and although I’m sure you are happy he’s no longer suffering you are allowed to grieve as well. Much love during this time. 

• Love 7

@CalicoKitty, adding my condolences on the loss of your father. It's good that you and your brother are a real team in dealing with his loss and your mother's care. Thanks for sharing your father's story with us. It's always wonderful to hear of a life so well lived. 

• Love 7

I've been missing @doodlebug.  She is one of our regular posters & haven't seen anything from her lately.  I enjoy reading her posts not only for the medical things but her points of view of the Duggars & other things seem to be spot on. Hoping she just took a vacation or a break & everything is OK.  .

We are all so close here. I feel like a mother hen & one of my chicks hasn't been heard from. 

ETA:  I came back to let everyone know I'm not a poster lurker & I don't keep a tally of all the posters. Doodlebug doesn't owe us any explanation of why she hasn't been posting. I've just noticed she's been missing from certain topics & hoping everything is OK with her. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 14

@CalicoKitty, I'm sorry for your loss.  It sounds like your father was a wonderful man and that you have great memories of him.  It's good that you and your brother are in sync and organized.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Olliesmom said:

I am so sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like he was a wonderful, honorable man and a great Dad. My prayers and condolences are with you and your family at this difficult time.  

Perfectly said. May you find comfort in good memories of your dad.

• Love 4

image.png.2de92752769e7992601fc1329cc82bbd.png

I've appreciated people sharing their Thanksgiving plans and experiences.  It shows the diversity and both the positive and negative aspects of holidays and how our expectations are shaped in various ways.

Take care of yourselves and do what makes you happy tomorrow. 🙂

• Love 16

@CalicoKitty I am very sorry for your loss. I am currently dealing with my second parent with dementia (no surprise to regulars here) and I echo that is is vital that you and your sibling are on the same page with regard to care. It would be so so hard without that.

To all who are suffering here. I wish you health and better days ahead.

And to all my fellow posters, happy Thanksgiving. So odd that we have forged such a supportive community out of this place and I am thankful for it.

• Love 11
On 11/27/2019 at 12:01 AM, CalicoKitty said:

@CalicoKitty I am so sorry for your loss! Your dad sounds like a wonderful man, and I am glad you and your brother are such a great team. *hugs* 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I must have missed her post.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I want you to know how much PT wanted me to see this message. It told me I had 497 notifications and they were all you! 

Happt Thanksgiving 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I want you to know how much PT wanted me to see this message. It told me I had 497 notifications and they were all you! 

Happt Thanksgiving 

Oh wow. Not sure what it is,  but I'm having a terrible time with Prime Timer this morning.  Everything is moving verrrrrrry slow.  Other sites seem to be OK so maybe something is going on with them. 

• Love 5

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Its so windy today that I’m not going to the movies like I planned.

I made food for the week last night thanksgiving themed.

And came down with a nasty cold again. 

So drinking hot tea with lemon by the gallon.  

• Love 10