Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Changing the subject , I'm getting ads for those lifelike Born again or Reborn dolls.  I know we've discussed them before because of Jill Rod grifting them. They're not cheap. Some are on sale in the $400 range reduced from the $500 range & these are ones that don't have a full body. (Not sure if I want to read about the different way they are made.)   They are really lifelike but creepy at the same time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

What a great idea about the knife & cake server.  I received a cake server as a small wedding gift from my aerobics instructor at the time 35 years ago.  It has a  china handle with flowers on it so it can be used for both formal & more relaxed occasions.  It was just a small remembrance at the time but it has gotten plenty of use.

I agree chargers are also a great idea. I got one on QVC or HSN for my son & it cost about $30.  Its a small square where each side plugs into & charges a different item-  one side for Apple, one side for Android, etc. It doesnt have any cords you have to worry about. It's great for his work when he has to use one of his company's tablets out on a job.  He can charge it no matter the brand. 

I'll share some of the gifts I've  gotten from my mother-in-law at a later time.  She means well but doesn't quite get it with some items.  (As in the mint green corduroy pants with a matching frumpy sweatshirt I got years ago.)

Can you please share the link to the charger? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Can you please share the link to the charger? 

I cant link correctly from my phone but here's the info for the charger: 

I got it from QVC  item# E233005  RC40 Rush Portable Charger for Apple & Android

$29.98 +  3.50 S&H  (they often have Free shipping days)

Some people were complaining it was hard to get the small attached USB cord back in its prong but my son hasn't  had any problems.   He has older  Samsung 7 phone.  Some of the reviewers said the USB cord loosens up & fits back in its prong once it has been used a few times.  

I think I saw something similar on HSN.

Hope this helps. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Zella said:

I can't figure out if I am an ambivert or not. I'm thinking probably not since I do find social interaction so draining, even when it is minimal or with people I enjoy. Even with friends I dearly love, I have about a 4 hour window before I have had enough and need some recreational isolation.

But I might also not entirely understand the definition of ambivert. 

FOUR hours! OMG, I'm done with one.  lol  I used to be able to entertain, visit, etc. for much longer years ago, but, I think that having to be so focused on responsibilities, being so overly saturated with interacting in my profession, etc.  causes my saturation level to be lower.  I'm often tired of talking and interacting.  Of course, now days, most people who are visiting are on their phone and not really focused on much else anyway.  lol 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

FOUR hours! OMG, I'm done with one.  lol  I used to be able to entertain, visit, etc. for much longer years ago, but, I think that having to be so focused on responsibilities, being so overly saturated with interacting in my profession, etc.  causes my saturation level to be lower.  I'm often tired of talking and interacting.  Of course, now days, most people who are visiting are on their phone and not really focused on much else anyway.  lol 

It really depends on the person. If I'm only interacting with one other person, and we are on the same wavelength, I can go for hours, but add even one extra person to the mix, and, while I might still enjoy the interaction, I'll need to decompress afterward. If it's more than two extra people, I will feel like a fish out of water, barely be able to contribute to conversation, and definitely need a good chunk of alone time afterwards. With family, of course, I'm not as stuck for words, but still want to get away after a get-together.

Plus, I overshare, which I don't think is very typical for an introvert - I always feel as though a true introvert is very private, but I don't seem to have that in me. Sometimes it's actually more like the lack of a filter, which seems a bit counterintuitive.

• Love 11

I feel uncomfortable when I overshare, but, I know why.  There are very few people who truly can keep confidences. They are good people, but, they can't keep their mouth shut. So, I know they will repeat what I say.  I only have one or two friends who I can truly rely on to keep things confidential.  I always honor a request to keep things confidential and people know that.  That's why they always want to confide in me.  But, they don't reciprocate. lol  Sometimes, I wonder if it's just me.  Out of all the people I have known throughout my life, there have only been a handful who can really keep things to themselves. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I feel uncomfortable when I overshare, but, I know why.  There are very few people who truly can keep confidences. They are good people, but, they can't keep their mouth shut. So, I know they will repeat what I say.  I only have one or two friends who I can truly rely on to keep things confidential.  I always honor a request to keep things confidential and people know that.  That's why they always want to confide in me.  But, they don't reciprocate. lol  Sometimes, I wonder if it's just me.  Out of all the people I have known throughout my life, there have only been a handful who can really keep things to themselves. 

I guess the difference with me is that while I overshare about certain things, they are really never (or very rarely) things which I wouldn't also tell the next person. Heck, if I thought that someone was actually interested enough about certain things I'd mentioned to spread them, I'd probably be flattered. I guess I don't have a lot of skeletons in my closet, and if I'm talking about faults I have, then probably it's good that people are aware of them.🤷‍♀️

If someone tells me something in confidence, I won't share that, but that's not the same thing in my book as oversharing things about oneself.

• Love 6

My husband and I had our 2nd shingles vaccines yesterday. He slept poorly and I woke up with a roiling gut. Still, it beats getting shingles!  It's our oldest daughter's birthday today and we are bringing breakfast to her house. I hope I can eat!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My husband and I had our 2nd shingles vaccines yesterday. He slept poorly and I woke up with a roiling gut. Still, it beats getting shingles!  It's our oldest daughter's birthday today and we are bringing breakfast to her house. I hope I can eat!

I'm sorry you're having side effects and I hope they go away. And, good for you for getting the vaccine. I've seen basically strong and healthy people be really laid low by shingles outbreaks, so I think that vaccine is a wonderful thing!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Everyone I know who had the second part of the new shingles vaccine had a hard time with it.  Still way better than getting shingles!  My dad had such a bad case he needed debridement surgery.

When I turned 60 (two ago) I got the old shingles vaccine and I guess the new one came out shortly after.  I still haven't gotten that one.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, louannems said:

Everyone I know who had the second part of the new shingles vaccine had a hard time with it.  Still way better than getting shingles!  My dad had such a bad case he needed debridement surgery.

When I turned 60 (two ago) I got the old shingles vaccine and I guess the new one came out shortly after.  I still haven't gotten that one.

My father-in-law spent the last six years of his life in constant residual nerve pain after a bout of shingles in his 70's. He never was able to enjoy much inn his life after that. The pain was pretty much intractable with anything short of 24/7 opiates. Even a nerve-blocking surgery had no real effect.

36 minutes ago, louannems said:

I had the old vaccine too, a few years back. This one is supposed to be better. My mil had shingles and suffered greatly. I see younger people getting shingles too.  Not pleasant!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My father-in-law spent the last six years of his life in constant residual nerve pain after a bout of shingles in his 70's. He never was able to enjoy much inn his life after that. The pain was pretty much intractable with anything short of 24/7 opiates. Even a nerve-blocking surgery had no real effect.

Sadly, this can happen and is very difficult to alleviate.  I have couple of women in my practice who developed shingles of the vulva and were left with years of pain 'down there' which made it hard to sit or stand for long periods and wreaked havoc with their sex lives.  Eventually, both of them improved over time and now only very rarely have pain, but it took years and a lot of misery for it to happen.

Mr. Dance and I both recently had the two dose shingles vaccine with no other side effects than sore arms. We were lucky. A friend of ours died a very painful death with Shingles as the main cause of his pain. It was horrible, and I’m very grateful there is a vaccine out now for that disease.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

For the first time I was a witness to someone overdosing in a public bathroom. 

😞😞😞

The store workers were so unfeeling/uncaring and were like yeah that happens a lot. 

did they at least call an ambulance?

• Love 3
On 12/21/2019 at 2:27 PM, doodlebug said:

Sadly, this can happen and is very difficult to alleviate.  I have couple of women in my practice who developed shingles of the vulva and were left with years of pain 'down there' which made it hard to sit or stand for long periods and wreaked havoc with their sex lives.  Eventually, both of them improved over time and now only very rarely have pain, but it took years and a lot of misery for it to happen.

Shingles on the vulva in the scariest thing I have ever heard of!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6
On 12/21/2019 at 11:29 PM, galaxychaser said:

For the first time I was a witness to someone overdosing in a public bathroom. 

😞😞😞

The store workers were so unfeeling/uncaring and were like yeah that happens a lot. 

TBH, as long as they called 911 I'm fine if they stayed calm and didn't get all upset. If there really are frequent ODs in their store's bathrooms, I can see why they wouldn't get all worked up over another one.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

TBH, as long as they called 911 I'm fine if they stayed calm and didn't get all upset. If there really are frequent ODs in their store's bathrooms, I can see why they wouldn't get all worked up over another one.

It also makes sense that they ushered everyone else out of the restroom while waiting for the EMT's.  The last thing they needed was for a customer to get stuck with a dirty needle or to try to resuscitate the OD or otherwise interfere.

It's a tragedy that this has become an all too common occurrence in our times.  As many of you know, many people working in jobs where they might encounter public OD's; cops, teachers, librarians, are trained to administer Narcan which is kept in stock in their workplace.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t know. The employees kicked everyone out of the bathroom. I left the store. 

I would think they called 911.

they  might have administered Narcan. I work at a library and we received training and have it in our First Aid kits. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 12/21/2019 at 2:54 PM, Love2dance said:

Mr. Dance and I both recently had the two dose shingles vaccine with no other side effects than sore arms. We were lucky. A friend of ours died a very painful death with Shingles as the main cause of his pain. It was horrible, and I’m very grateful there is a vaccine out now for that disease.

My  mother, who was in a nursing home with dementia, got shingles shortly before she passed. I was recovering from major surgery and planning on seeing her after not being able to for awhile, when I got a call that she was ill with them and to probably wait to see her. She passed two weeks later. I don't know if the shingles was just too much for her body to handle or what. She had been eating well and in decent health, despite her mind being gone, but she stopped eating and drinking just a few days after I last saw her. 

1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

So sorry about your Mom, @libgirl2. It was probably a good idea for you to not visit her while you were recovering from surgery and your immune system was down, but I’m sure that was very sad for you.

Thank you. I don't think she would have wanted me to. I so miss that awesome woman. 

11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

To all our family and friends who passed away and we miss. Let’s think of the happy times. 

Maybe smile through the tears. 

I don’t know if the grief ever goes away.

My dad has been gone for 24 years.  He loved train gardens & had one each Christmas.

It makes me smile when I picture him at the controls of God's train garden in Heaven.  

• Love 13

I've been back home visiting people and it has been a strange experience.

The friend I posted about a while ago has postponed her wedding indefinitely at the moment. She is still engaged but I am starting to doubt the wedding will happen at all. They changed the date three times. Now it is "TBA". Ok. 

The wave of divorces are starting too. My boyfriend and I have discussed it and he simply cannot wrap his head around how young and fast people got married. That is just the norm here. At least divorce is somewhat acceptable. I just wish it wouldn't be viewed as such a failure. It's not a failure to admit the relationship is no longer working and cannot be fixed.

It is what it is. 

I hope everyone has a lovely holiday. I've ate entirely too much and am going to end up spending every day in the gym in January. 

• Love 9

Yes, I'm wishing all of you good health for the coming year.  I have to visit my cousin in Memory Care tomorrow AND a good friend who is in Rehab, who had recent spine surgery.  Man, it's been a year.  I am so grateful for my health. 

I ordered myself something on line and it arrived TODAY!  I ordered it with gift cards that I got and was free!  

I went out for a little last minute pick ups today and it wasn't too bad.  I think a lot of people are ordering online and not shopping in the stores these days. 

I splurged and made myself a coffee/peppermint milkshake!  It was AWESOME.  

• Love 9

People weren't in the stores this morning. They were all at Peet's Coffee. I've never seen that place so packed!

Happy Holidays to all! Mr. Sumi is working tonight and tomorrow night, so it's just me and the cantankerous MIL tomorrow. My SIL and I refer to her as Emma, after the self-absorbed Austen character. She does all the talking; it's about her 24/7/365. I don't remember the last time she asked Mr. Sumi or me how we were doing. 

So yeah...

• Love 4
On 12/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, doodlebug said:

It also makes sense that they ushered everyone else out of the restroom while waiting for the EMT's.  The last thing they needed was for a customer to get stuck with a dirty needle or to try to resuscitate the OD or otherwise interfere.

It's a tragedy that this has become an all too common occurrence in our times.  As many of you know, many people working in jobs where they might encounter public OD's; cops, teachers, librarians, are trained to administer Narcan which is kept in stock in their workplace.

How does a layperson obtain Narcan?  Is it sold OTC?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

The internet just told me laypeople can buy it at pharmacy chains like Walgreens and CVS. Not sure on the cost, though, or if it is more complicated than that in reality.

Hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season! Hugs to all of you experiencing health issues or family problems! This is one of my favorite places on the internet, and y'all are some of my favorite internet folks. 🙂

• Love 16

A Christmas Story is on for the next 24 hrs.  The first scene in the classroom with the kids all wearing their silly fake teeth, reminds me of something that happened my last year of teaching.  I walked into my homeroom, and all the girls were wearing at least one hot red Lee Press On nail!  What does one do but just laugh and enjoy the moment.  Something we all probably need to do from time to time.  Joyeux Noel!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

May his memory be eternal.

Thank you.  

🎅🤶Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all my Primetimer cyber friends.  You guys are the best. 

I'm off to NORAD to check on Santa's progress.  He's supposed to be 2 hours away. Yay!  

• Love 13
6 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

My pharmacy sells naloxone OTC in vials (least expensive), auto injector (like an epi pen, but just as expensive), and nasal spray (narcan, the most popular). 

You ask for it, fill out a form, and if requested, we bill your insurance to help with the cost. It's pretty simple. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 2

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah,Winter Solstice and a great Kwanzaa.  I know that the dates are all not today but I hope you had a good day. If you are alone today (like me) enjoy the day the best you can. If you are missing someone special my thoughts are with you.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah,Winter Solstice and a great Kwanzaa.  I know that the dates are all not today but I hope you had a good day. If you are alone today (like me) enjoy the day the best you can. If you are missing someone special my thoughts are with you.

Thank you. Same to you!

• Love 8