Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thanksgiving alone is fabulous, well my husband is here and has to eat the mostly vegetarian dinner I made <ha>.

I think Thanksgiving should just be avoided since there are maybe 5 normal families in the country who get along, so maybe have some compassion with the rest of us with whacked out parents, siblings, etc. and just abandon the whole thing. Or just call it Turkey day and move along.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon and those of you who lost loved ones, hope it becomes a peaceful time soon.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Well it’s good I didn’t have plans because after my nap. I’m really sick. And I usually don’t nap unless I’m coming down with something.

😞😞😞

Really cold and windy outside to go anywhere.

Sorry for whining.

I am sorry you are ill. Will you be off the next few days so you can get better?

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wound up with a stomach bug. My Thanksgiving dinner was a bowl of rice. 😢

That's too bad.  It happened to my mother a few years ago on Thanksgiving day & we couldn't even mention food to her. Hope you feel better soon.

EtA:  Hoping you feel better soon too@galaxychaser

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 7

Aww hope you both are feeling better soon, @Sew Sumi and @galaxychaser.

Bringing this over from the Josiah and Lauren thread about Thorncrown:

@Barb23: It really is lovely any time of year! They have a pretty cool photo gallery on their website that shows the different seasons. https://thorncrown.com/

I actually don't live too far from Eureka Springs--it's about 45 minutes from me--and I always wanted to get married at the Crescent Hotel there. I love that place! But I would not object at all to the Thorncrown Chapel either. I mean, not that I have any prospects of getting married any time soon but still. LOL 

• Love 7

@galaxychaser, I hope you conquer that illness very soon.

I must be mellowed out from all the carbs I ate at Thanksgiving dinner yesterday; I posted something kind and positive in the Dillards topic. 😂

Edited to add: Oh, I almost forgot! I had a nice T'giving with my large extended family (cousins, 3 generations of). We have a new baby in the family, a 4 month old girl. Adorable. Of course. And her mom had her dressed so cute for Thanksgiving. Including: a mustard colored headband/bow! My smile when I saw the baby was extra-large, I did *not* cause a scene by breaking out into laughter, and I made a note to share this with my PT peeps here. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7

I hope everyone had a peaceful Thanksgiving and that everyone who was sick is feeling better. 

@CalicoKitty, I’m sorry for your loss.  

I found out the day before Thanksgiving that I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia / small lymphocytic lymphoma. Not the best news but it could have been worse. I’ll know more after I see the oncologist in 2 weeks. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EVS said:

I hope everyone had a peaceful Thanksgiving and that everyone who was sick is feeling better. 

I found out the day before Thanksgiving that I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia / small lymphocytic lymphoma. Not the best news but it could have been worse. I’ll know more after I see the oncologist in 2 weeks. 

I’m so sorry you’re going through that but I think if you’re waiting 2 weeks and not being worked in RIGHT NOW thats a hopeful sign. I hope you will check in as you can. 

• Love 15
On 11/27/2019 at 12:06 PM, Barb23 said:

I've been missing @doodlebug.  She is one of our regular posters & haven't seen anything from her lately.  I enjoy reading her posts not only for the medical things but her points of view of the Duggars & other things seem to be spot on. Hoping she just took a vacation or a break & everything is OK.  .

We are all so close here. I feel like a mother hen & one of my chicks hasn't been heard from. 

ETA:  I came back to let everyone know I'm not a poster lurker & I don't keep a tally of all the posters. Doodlebug doesn't owe us any explanation of why she hasn't been posting. I've just noticed she's been missing from certain topics & hoping everything is OK with her. 

I've been around, was on vacation last week, though and deliberately stayed off-line.  I guess you missed my Vegan Thanksgiving post.  I am happy to report that our Thanksgiving meal included plenty of meat and dairy.  My brother in law, the vegan, actually ate a small piece of turkey!  I knew he wasn't behind my sister's plan to foist his dietary habits on the rest of us; he's not that kind of guy.  BTW, he made a vegan pumpkin pie using coconut milk as well as coconut milk 'whipped cream' for topping and it was fabulous.

Everyone is coming to my place for Christmas Eve and I will be serving prime rib, take it or leave it.  

• Love 13

Still sending good thoughts out to all of you dealing with your own or loved ones illnesses.  

We had a nice Turkey Day, pretty quiet though we managed to go out to an early movie.  I'm still a little fried out from my grandma's short time in hospice and then the wake on Wednesday.  I think because you are anticipating getting 'that call' you tend to be on edge, and it's wearing.  Now it's just my two uncles and myself for that side of the family.  I do keep in contact with one fairly regularly but the other who was two years older than my mom...I don't know how often I will hear from him.  

What I am still a bit perturbed about is about the son of my older uncle, who's name I know but when my uncle and his first wife divorced a million years ago her second husband adopted the boy, who is my only cousin.  I don't remember playing with him when I was little though there are photos of us together.  He did come around for a couple of years back in the early 90's maybe, he had two very young children and I don't know what made him seek my uncle out, maybe something to do with having his own kids.  He was a nice enough seeming person but we had so little in common I didn't really exchange much with him beyond pleasantries, and I found the wife nice but hard to talk to, as she was a bit on the thumper side of the bible, and I'm a huge heathen.  My grandmother was over the moon of course to see him and the little ones, and she was even invited out to visit them where they lived out of state, which she did and had a wonderful time.  I so appreciated that they did that, and that they thought enough of her to extend the offer to her.  

For whatever reason, my mother never knew, and neither did my grandmother - the door that was opened got slammed shut and we never heard from them.  Maybe something was said, some exchange between whomever, and *poof* gone.  Could be he had enough of a look at us all and just didn't think we were worth keeping in touch with, maybe we weren't religious enough...I'll never know.  I'm cool with that because between us we'd had too many years go by to have ever had a connection, but I always hated what that did to my grandma.  She had so enjoyed those great grandchildren and to just boom, not know?  Maybe I'm expecting too much but I always felt the least they could have done was send her a friggin X-mas card every year with pictures of the kids.  Why go to all the trouble to come around, establish a relationship, and then pull out with nothing?  It was shabby to treat her that way. 

At any rate, this jerk is on SM and I'm not going to do it but I'd love to send him a message (he wouldn't see the obit, lives in a different area) by telling him what a dickrod I think he was for just cutting grandma off like he did.  I'd like him to know there is one person out there who knows he did something skunky and how he hurt her.  I won't mind you, my husband already talked me down out of that tree...and grandma was no saint mind you, but she was a caring loving woman who didn't deserve that.  Even if he didn't want to keep much contact he could have sent a card once a year for pete's sake.

Rant over...

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, EVS said:

4 hours ago, EVS said:

Evs , I'm sorry you are having to deal with that.  My dad also had CLL,  and I understand that of all the leukemias, CLL is the "best" one to have.  It's very slow growing and can often just be observed for years without any treatment. And there are some new, excellent treatments, too.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, EVS said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. You're in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

Still sending good thoughts out to all of you dealing with your own or loved ones illnesses.  

We had a nice Turkey Day, pretty quiet though we managed to go out to an early movie.  I'm still a little fried out from my grandma's short time in hospice and then the wake on Wednesday.  I think because you are anticipating getting 'that call' you tend to be on edge, and it's wearing.  Now it's just my two uncles and myself for that side of the family.  I do keep in contact with one fairly regularly but the other who was two years older than my mom...I don't know how often I will hear from him.  

What I am still a bit perturbed about is about the son of my older uncle, who's name I know but when my uncle and his first wife divorced a million years ago her second husband adopted the boy, who is my only cousin.  I don't remember playing with him when I was little though there are photos of us together.  He did come around for a couple of years back in the early 90's maybe, he had two very young children and I don't know what made him seek my uncle out, maybe something to do with having his own kids.  He was a nice enough seeming person but we had so little in common I didn't really exchange much with him beyond pleasantries, and I found the wife nice but hard to talk to, as she was a bit on the thumper side of the bible, and I'm a huge heathen.  My grandmother was over the moon of course to see him and the little ones, and she was even invited out to visit them where they lived out of state, which she did and had a wonderful time.  I so appreciated that they did that, and that they thought enough of her to extend the offer to her.  

For whatever reason, my mother never knew, and neither did my grandmother - the door that was opened got slammed shut and we never heard from them.  Maybe something was said, some exchange between whomever, and *poof* gone.  Could be he had enough of a look at us all and just didn't think we were worth keeping in touch with, maybe we weren't religious enough...I'll never know.  I'm cool with that because between us we'd had too many years go by to have ever had a connection, but I always hated what that did to my grandma.  She had so enjoyed those great grandchildren and to just boom, not know?  Maybe I'm expecting too much but I always felt the least they could have done was send her a friggin X-mas card every year with pictures of the kids.  Why go to all the trouble to come around, establish a relationship, and then pull out with nothing?  It was shabby to treat her that way. 

At any rate, this jerk is on SM and I'm not going to do it but I'd love to send him a message (he wouldn't see the obit, lives in a different area) by telling him what a dickrod I think he was for just cutting grandma off like he did.  I'd like him to know there is one person out there who knows he did something skunky and how he hurt her.  I won't mind you, my husband already talked me down out of that tree...and grandma was no saint mind you, but she was a caring loving woman who didn't deserve that.  Even if he didn't want to keep much contact he could have sent a card once a year for pete's sake.

Rant over...

Send him a more neutral message that she died, but always remembered her visit with his family.  It will make the point without you saying more.

• Love 11

I didn't make my annual Thanksgiving post so here it is late. I'm so thankful this for forum and y'all here. Sending good vibes to everyone and especially those going through trouble.

4 hours ago, Suzn said:

Send him a more neutral message that she died, but always remembered her visit with his family.  It will make the point without you saying more.

Yeah neutral message with a line about how grandma enjoyed it when he visited her.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Everyone is coming to my place for Christmas Eve and I will be serving prime rib, take it or leave it.  

We traditionally make a prime rib for Christmas, too. About two years ago hubby passed a kidney stone and it's not the calcium kind it's the uric acid kind. What that has meant is he has to really cut down on the meat and take a drug. If he's off meat (and purines which means no mushrooms, asparagus and some other veggies) for a while he really, really feels it when he eats meat again. He looooves making the prime rib but this year he is seriously questioning whether he wants to or not.

On top of that, friends of ours who we spend a lot of time with, the wife is vegan. The husband has started eating a lot less meat and he's noticing that he feels better just as Mr. Toast had. It's really looking like we might have a meat free Christmas. Which, frankly, not being a fan of ham or prime rib, I'm fine with. The best part for me is the Christmas breakfast and all the yummy sides, snacks, and desserts. And the kids don't mind much either. On the other hand, making the prime rib was one of the holiday traditions that Mr. Toast loved the best. Also, setting up his model trains which we can't do this year. He's still getting his chocolate truffles and rainbow cookies, so not everything is going away.

I had a very quiet Thanksgiving of just me. We had a big friends and family Friendsgiving earlier in the month and Mr. Toast and the kids went to see his family and I stayed home and cuddled with the dogs. It was awesome.

• Love 15

Checking in, Fam.

Ok here, I've just been so busy with work, kids etc.  I type up my reports for work so when I'm done, I have to just step away from the computer. And menopause is making me feel like garbage.

Trying to catch up on the posts.  So sorry to read so many issues going on. Sending hugs.

• Love 13

Anybody buy anything good this Black Friday?

I wanted a Fitbit. Maybe I will get it for myself for birthday. 

@galaxychaser, treat yo’ self!

I bought a Kate Spade bag for work, but suspect it will be too small for every day. But, I had my eye on it for a while and it was 50% off, so thought I would take a chance. I can always return it.

• Love 7

Anybody buy anything good this Black Friday?

I wanted a Fitbit. Maybe I will get it for myself for birthday. 

Oh, go for the Fitbit! I've had one for a couple of years and am glad to have it.

I didn't buy anything on Black Friday. My big accomplishment was to install the replacement internal battery I'd ordered for my six year old little MacBook Air. It's not my "main" computer, but it's small and light and still going strong. Well, except the battery was getting kind of shot, a bad thing for a portable device. Thank goodness this is one of Apple's old laptops which has some things that an end user can easily service. These days their stuff is totally user-UN-friendly in that respect.

Keeping my fingers crossed this thing has another good few years left in it. It's one of the 11" models that Apple discontinued a few years ago. Amazingly small and light. I love taking it traveling. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, go for the Fitbit! I've had one for a couple of years and am glad to have it.

I didn't buy anything on Black Friday. My big accomplishment was to install the replacement internal battery I'd ordered for my six year old little MacBook Air. It's not my "main" computer, but it's small and light and still going strong. Well, except the battery was getting kind of shot, a bad thing for a portable device. Thank goodness this is one of Apple's old laptops which has some things that an end user can easily service. These days their stuff is totally user-UN-friendly in that respect.

Keeping my fingers crossed this thing has another good few years left in it. It's one of the 11" models that Apple discontinued a few years ago. Amazingly small and light. I love taking it traveling. 

I have the same one!  I use it for travel.  It just keeps on going and going.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

We moved this summer, and my dad and stepmother were finally able to see us and our new house this weekend. I think I am a terrible hostess, but this time I actually think I did a good job! I planned ahead and had each meal figured out. I remembered to serve something to drink other than water. I even had my act together so much that I served our Thanksgiving meal on my grandmother’s china 😍 This is in stark, stark contrast to my usual exhausted limping along and the parents either cook or pick up take out. I’m so proud of me! And I don’t know who else would understand this small victory but you all 💜

I'm proud of you! 🙂

I love to cook, but I have never gotten the hang of juggling multiple dishes under the watchful eyes of anyone but myself, so I am always a one-pot wonder when I have company, even close family. LOL

I've said this before, so pardon the repetition, but when it comes to hosting anything, I always panic and feel like poor dumb Johnny in Deadwood when Al tells him they're having a get-together and suggests he buy fruit. "How much fruit? I mean, how many’s a fuckin’ get together?" 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 11/29/2019 at 5:27 PM, EVS said:

My sister and a dear friend both have CLL. The friend was diagnosed 11 years ago and has needed no treatment. My sister was diagnosed earlier this year and was told no treatment, just recheck in one year. I hope the same is true for you. 

• Love 10

We had a lovely and very busy Thanksgiving with all 6 grandchildren in house. It's chaotic with all of that going on, especially due to 6 month old twin granddaughters. As I was posting a few pics on FB, I realized that I'm the one who takes them all, so I'm not in any of them. It makes me a bit sad. I've tried asking Mr. BetyBee to take photos of me with the grands, but he is easily frustrated since his stroke 5 years ago.  He usually takes a burst photo by accident, so he actively avoids taking pics. I know this is a 1st world problem, but I really don't want to be the ghost in the photos after I'm gone!   I'm at fault for forgetting to ask for photos of myself with the grands. I've always been a spacey hostess. I usually forget to serve something! I'm a one pot wonder too.  😉

Friday we went to the tree lighting in our mid-sized town and brought our 10 year old granddaughter. Seeing her eyes as they lit up the town square was very gratifying!  It was beautiful and really fun, though I'm not a fan of crowds - there were about 3K people in the square.  

I'm  sorry for everyone here who is facing illness - let's hope for good health and happiness in the coming year. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

truth told, i am not a natural hostess either. i try but it is just so much work to me.

I am so far from being a natural hostess, it would make your head spin. Groups of more than two extra people just drive me into my shell. I can cook, though, and Mr Jyn has hosting down to a science - he honestly lights up and becomes the best version of himself. So we did big Wardroom parties (for upwards of 30-40 people) several times a year before he retired from the Navy. I'd cook for days preceding, then totally wilt, and have to force myself not to go hide in the bedroom until it was over as the house filled up. But Mr Jyn kept everyone feeling welcome and comfortable, which is odd, in a way, because he's also a bit of a natural introvert, but trained himself to overcome it. Between the two of us, the parties were always a big hit. It was always so satisfying to pull off an event like that once everyone had gone home full and happy. I was told often that I should go into catering, but while doing things on that scale was kind of fun a few times a year, I couldn't see having to do it every day.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

My sister and a dear friend both have CLL. The friend was diagnosed 11 years ago and has needed no treatment. My sister was diagnosed earlier this year and was told no treatment, just recheck in one year. I hope the same is true for you. 

I also have a friend who had CLL.  He went 11 years before it became active, he received a bone marrow transplant (from a donor matched from a bank, none of his family were matches).  It has now been 8 years and he remains healthy and active, working full time, enjoying life with his family.  Leukemia is very curable these days.

• Love 8

@EVS, best wishes in dealing with CLL! 

I've been re-reading some books about minimalist living. One of the authors, who has a strong Christian faith and I think works as a youth pastor, sometimes uses the phrase "season of life." I kind of smile when I see it. I don't hang around with people who use that phrase and it seems odd to encounter it used by someone other than Meech Duggar. (Edited later to add: I think I'm wrong about the youth pastor thing; maybe he volunteered for youth ministry once but he definitely is Christian though I don't think fundie.)

I've made a few dents in my household excess. Yesterday morning I worked over a long shelf on one side of my (huge) master bedroom closet. Culled down an overlarge sweatshirt collection, found other things to let go of. Pulled a few coats out of the front hall closet. All of the stuff from the closets, plus some things I'd been stacking in the front hall, amounted to a large haul that I donated to a local charity shop.

Then yesterday evening, I couldn't sit still because the vortex of darkness that is the front hallway closet, the large side that's for clothes, was pulling me over there. I took everything off the top shelf and the floor. Good grief!

Result: there's a big bag of hats, gloves, scarves, a dog sweater, and more, waiting for its ride to the donation station. And there's a lot more room in that side of the closet. We'll not discuss rumors of a large family of dust bunnies that may have been lurking on the floor among the odd boxes and bags. Nope. Not gonna talk about that. 

At least I had a great soundtrack for last night's faceoff at the vortex of clutter. Back when PBS was airing Ken Burns' Country Music series, I recorded it to watch later. Well, last night it was time. I got through the first two episodes and part of the third. Hope to resume the binge-watching today. Great stuff!

Edited by Jeeves
I get things wrong
  • Love 21
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro on which I am currently typing. It still runs as well as it did the day it came out of the box. And I have used the HELL out of it. 

My first laptop, a Compaq, cost twice what the MB Pro did, and it was basically a paperweight two weeks after I bought it. I'll never buy another PC (but I'm keeping my Samsung phone). 

• Love 1

Is anyone else having all the posts now centered?  The forum looked fine yesterday and today all centered.  I've checked the usual places for what could have gotten switched and so far no idea how to fix it.

• Love 5

Hi everyone. I’m going to clean the house today before I decorate for Christmas, and I’m going to head to target and get some last minute decor and wrapping things. I think I want a lighted snowman for the yard. 

Thanksgiving Parts 1&2 were a hit, I put up my sister’s Christmas tree and she was very happy (but no help, she just admired!). 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

Is anyone else having all the posts now centered?  The forum looked fine yesterday and today all centered.  I've checked the usual places for what could have gotten switched and so far no idea how to fix it.

It's happening for me too. 

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro on which I am currently typing. It still runs as well as it did the day it came out of the box. And I have used the HELL out of it. 

My first laptop, a Compaq, cost twice what the MB Pro did, and it was basically a paperweight two weeks after I bought it. I'll never buy another PC (but I'm keeping my Samsung phone). 

Yay for those old MacBooks! I switched from Windows to Macs in 2008. I'd bought a Compaq (!) desktop which was supposed to take care of my personal computing needs in retirement. And turned out to be a total POS. Hard drive failed within a few months, and other bad stuff. I went to the Apple store in May 2008 and bought an iMac. That sucker just WORKED for 8 years. There wasn't anything wrong with it when I sold it to a local mac shop and got another Mac.

The only reason I replaced the iMac was that I'd gotten really into photography. I'd begun using Lightroom and Photoshop extensively, and the old iMac just wasn't configured with the computing horsepower to keep up with those apps. Too many spinning beach balls, lol.

My present main computer is a 2014 MacBook Pro that I bought used last year from a local Mac shop. I have it hooked up to dual monitors in my home office. It's got as much computing power as I need, and I hope it keeps going strong. I suppose I don't "need" my little 2013 MacBook Air now, but it's nice to grab it and go, and because, by intention, I don't store sensitive documents on it, I don't worry so much about taking it along when I travel. I only take the MacBook Pro when I'm going to a workshop or some other situation where I'll need to to heavy duty photo editing.

Oh, and yes, as much as I love my Macs, I also like my Pixel 3 phone. Go figure 😊.

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@EVS, best wishes in dealing with CLL! 

I've been re-reading some books about minimalist living. One of the authors, who has a strong Christian faith and I think works as a youth pastor, sometimes uses the phrase "season of life." I kind of smile when I see it. I don't hang around with people who use that phrase and it seems odd to encounter it used by someone other than Meech Duggar.

John Pavlovitz? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

No, it's Joshua Becker

The youth pastor part threw me off. I bet JP would have something wise to say about minimalism and overconsumption, though. Becker was a pastor, but his Wiki doesn't say anything specific about him working with young people as a minister. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Heathen said:

The youth pastor part threw me off. I bet JP would have something wise to say about minimalism and overconsumption, though. Becker was a pastor, but his Wiki doesn't say anything specific about him working with young people as a minister. 

I could have remembered that wrong, I just thought he'd made a passing reference to something about doing youth ministry at his church, in one of his books.