Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, sixlets said:

Thank you so much!  It's a 2018.  I finally got him to give more info so I can get specific item numbers.  The fronts are different than the rears, just to make things more difficult.  The rears are item #1059813, and the fronts are item #1058177.  They are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.  Thank you again!!

You are very welcome.  I checked Michelin since you have those on your car now.  Michelin X-Ice Xi3 are $220.99 each with a $20.79 charge for installation and tire disposal bringing them up to $246.78.  It says on the Costco tire site that the car uses different tires for the front and back.  With the Michellin and Bridgestone the tire numbers are 235/50R18 for the 18" rims front and rear.  With the 19" the numbers are 255/40ZR19 for the front and 275/40ZR19 for the rear for the Bridgestone.   The Bridgestone only shows three 18" front/rear tires and one 19" rear tire.  They might have the tires in another location but this is what White Marsh showed.  

• Love 1

@sixlets, another thing about Costco is that you can end your membership at any time.  However, it's a great store with plenty of good things to purchase.  They also treat their employees well, so if you join, you may find that you decide to keep going there!  We've moved rather far from a Costco (we used to have one in our town and went there all the time), but we haven't dropped the membership yet.  I like stocking up!

• Love 4

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!!! It has been sooooo hard!!! I still really like my job, but it is a HARD job to do sick! First, you have to be on all day. Second, you have to be able to sing. Third, the little kids require CONSTANT energy and movement! Next time I get a five day cold, I will be so thankful, lol! It was awful, because the only good thing about being sick is that awesome feeling the first day you start to feel better, but I never got it this time! I'm just too tired, even though things have definitely improved! I've been at a music conference since Saturday, and it's been so nice to just get away and do something a little more relaxing for a few days! I'm so looking forward to just doing something fun eventually. I might go celebrate my birthday with friends next weekend, because even though it's been over a month since my birthday, I haven't felt well enough yet! It's good to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like I can make it through until Christmas, and then finally get some rest!

• Love 16
13 hours ago, sixlets said:

Thank you so much!  It's a 2018.  I finally got him to give more info so I can get specific item numbers.  The fronts are different than the rears, just to make things more difficult.  The rears are item #1059813, and the fronts are item #1058177.  They are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.  Thank you again!!

I live in Colorado and the Michelin ice tires is what I have on my car it is also a 2018. But in very bad weather I use my suv.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I returned from Italy yesterday. Of course this is the first forum that I have come to read. So much sadness. I’m truly moved by so much of what I have read. Please know that I send my condolences, hugs, and healing prayers to all. I am moved, touched, and  saddened by what I have read  

I did light candles for y’all, however at Padua you could buy a candle and leave it as an offering but not light it. I prayed for everyone here and will continue to do so. I was able to light church candles in Verona and did so. The people with me asked why one wasn’t enough. Good thing that we had a language difference because I didn’t want to get into how there never is enough good will/love to be spread to all the wonderful people on this thread. 

I have jet lag so this might be off but @Christina87 my daughter also works in a NC school and has been diagnosed with the exact same illnesses. It’s scary as with the flu etc she doesn’t want me to come help her or pick up my cats. It drives home how we all care so much for our loved ones including our pets. There’s a saying on a show that I love (Bosch). It says:

Everyone counts or Nobody counts. 

I did get a snicker over the discussion about JB wanting to name a daughter Juliet. In honor of that here’s her balcony in Verona where Romeo wooed her. 

A09EA54F-6F5C-4D24-92B7-8FC24DEFC602.jpeg.b19289753110e22860edaf4d618e73dc.jpeg

I have more words, but will have to come back when I have more energy. The beau I traveled with is not doing too well. I’m off to the Dr with him today. As a former RN I think I know what is wrong, but with bull headed men (and in case I’m wrong), I’m letting the MD tell him about the lifestyle changes that he will need to make. 

Hugs, condolences, sympathy and love to All. I have missed y’all. 

Thank you so much for the prayers and reporting back.  Greatly appreciated.  I hope the beau takes the doctor's advice and does well.

• Love 10
On 11/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, galaxychaser said:

I just heard a woman herding her 3 little kids (under 6-7). Sophia, Janet and Victor. Janet is so rare on little girls. It’s like hearing a 5 year old named Barbara!

That is my name IRL, and I've met very few Janets in my life, and they've all been 20+ years older than me (I'm in my 40s). I figured we were going the way of Mildred. LOL

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Myra, Myrna, Edna, Edith, Thelma, Susan are donzo as popular baby names.

Yes, once I was very popular, Linda and I.  Now there are no baby Susans or Lindas.  I think the others you mention are due for a return.  I must say though that some names never, ever return.  For example, in my family tree database, I have a Mehitable...

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Lydia replaced Linda

That proves my point - I had a great-great-great grandmother named Lydia!  I have a number of ancestor names that would be great to use now - well, Mehitable, not so much.

• Love 6

My sister is a Janet & is 62.  

My mother had a good friend named Emily when we were growing up in the 60's & 70's. I thought that was the most hideous name I had ever heard (even with a mother named Muriel) & felt so sorry she had to go through life with that name.  I kept asking who would name their daughter  Emily? Little did I realize then that it would make a huge comeback & I ended up liking it.  I worked with two gals who each have an Emily.

• Love 6
On 11/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, beckie said:

I was just wondering if there was a forum, subforum, or even just a topic thread to discuss the cases on the court TV channel. I don't see it anywhere on the site. 

Not sure if anyone answered your question, but, real life crime, that includes documentaries and shows from ID Discovery channel, is over under Genre.  Then, True Life Crime, or something like that. 

7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The resurgence of Hazel cracks me up. Both of my grandmothers, born in the 1890’s, were Hazels. I thought that name was dead and buried, but noooooo! 

Isn't that funny, that names that sound old to us, sound fresh to the people producing babies now!  I'll offer Maude and reaching back further, Emeline and Demiah, both of which I really like.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Not sure if anyone answered your question, but, real life crime, that includes documentaries and shows from ID Discovery channel, is over under Genre.  Then, True Life Crime, or something like that. 

Thanks for responding. Yes, it did get answered. There is a thread for it in the Other non fiction section, now.

• Love 2

My great grandmother was Flossie. I loved her so much growing up and when I was a junior in HS she passed away. Fast forward to when my daughter was born, I thought the name was too old fashioned to use, but I considered it. One of her daughters was Violet and that name seems to be coming back now.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

My sister is a Janet & is 62.  

My mother had a good friend named Emily when we were growing up in the 60's & 70's. I thought that was the most hideous name I had ever heard (even with a mother named Muriel) & felt so sorry she had to go through life with that name.  I kept asking who would name their daughter  Emily? Little did I realize then that it would make a huge comeback & I ended up liking it.  I worked with two gals who each have an Emily.

Bwahaha! My maternal grandmother's sister was a Muriel. That name isn't coming back, ever. 

I have an old lady name, being the tail end of a 20 year popularity surge with the boomers. But it's popular in other countries; I've had 20 something Vietnamese nail techs with my name. It's also kind of popular in Hispanic countries, so it's not dead...yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Isn't that funny, that names that sound old to us, sound fresh to the people producing babies now!  I'll offer Maude and reaching back further, Emeline and Demiah, both of which I really like.

My friend had a baby in April and named her Emaline. I never heard that name before. And it fits my friend’s daughter perfectly. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, wilsie said:

You are very welcome.  I checked Michelin since you have those on your car now.  Michelin X-Ice Xi3 are $220.99 each with a $20.79 charge for installation and tire disposal bringing them up to $246.78.  It says on the Costco tire site that the car uses different tires for the front and back.  With the Michellin and Bridgestone the tire numbers are 235/50R18 for the 18" rims front and rear.  With the 19" the numbers are 255/40ZR19 for the front and 275/40ZR19 for the rear for the Bridgestone.   The Bridgestone only shows three 18" front/rear tires and one 19" rear tire.  They might have the tires in another location but this is what White Marsh showed.  

Thank you so, so much!  The White Marsh location is the closest to us.  Having one rear tire is a problem though 😁  I will pass the info along!  

11 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@sixlets, another thing about Costco is that you can end your membership at any time.  However, it's a great store with plenty of good things to purchase.  They also treat their employees well, so if you join, you may find that you decide to keep going there!  We've moved rather far from a Costco (we used to have one in our town and went there all the time), but we haven't dropped the membership yet.  I like stocking up!

I did not know you could end your membership like that.  Good info to have-thank you!!  We have a membership to BJs, which is ultra-close to where we live.  Costco isn't far, but it's kinda out of the way, if that makes any sense.

7 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I live in Colorado and the Michelin ice tires is what I have on my car it is also a 2018. But in very bad weather I use my suv.

Thankfully, our second vehicle is a Subaru Crosstrek, so if the weather turns to pot overnight, he can just drive mine.  I plan my outings very carefully, so being at home with his car is fine.  I can always Uber if it's 100% necessary.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Miss Polly would like to say thank you as well!!

492 (2).JPG

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Thank you so, so much!  The White Marsh location is the closest to us.  Having one rear tire is a problem though 😁  I will pass the info along!  

I think they probably can get tires from other Costco's but it might take a day or so.  It all depends on if the price would be worth it to you.  

33 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Miss Polly would like to say thank you as well!!

You and the beautiful Miss Polly are very welcome.  

• Love 1

Things you learn about the world from the Internet.....
Supposedly there are people that hate making the bed alone. 
This thought has never occurred to me- the fitted sheet seems to be an issue? I just put it on. I’m above average height maybe that helps?

Given I’ve never had assistance to make a bed I’ve honestly never thought of this! I never thought making the bed was a 2 person activity before people commented about this. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This thought has never occurred to me- the fitted sheet seems to be an issue? I just put it on. I’m above average height maybe that helps?

Given I’ve never had assistance to make a bed I’ve honestly never thought of this! I never thought making the bed was a 2 person activity before people commented about this. 

Well if the both of us are standing there and the clean sheets are ready we do it together. Only because it takes less time. Sometimes he does it alone and sometimes I do it alone. It’s just how things turn out.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m below average height and love having help to get the fitted sheet on. I have to lift the mattress, balance it on my knee, slip the sheet over the corner and repeat 3 more times. It can be exhausting! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The resurgence of Hazel cracks me up. Both of my grandmothers, born in the 1890’s, were Hazels. I thought that name was dead and buried, but noooooo! 

Wasn't the Mad About You baby named Hazel?

57 minutes ago, louannems said:

Wasn't the Mad About You baby named Hazel?

No, Mabel. I think the first resurgence I heard of the name Hazel was when Julia Roberts named her twins Phineas and Hazel. I remember thinking how sweet those names were. You still don't see too many kids named Phineas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, AUgirl said:

I teach-and have a second grader named Connie. That’s a blast from the past (to me anyway). 

All of the women named Connie that I know are around my age (56), give or take 5 years. I checked the Social Security site and Connie was in the top 100 names each year from 1940 and 1968. It dropped below 1000 in 1998 and hasn't been back on the chart since then.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I want to share a photo of my cat Blake. Someone knocked over the dining chair and made a good photo op. 

5BDAD2EA-48E6-41BF-B1D9-B943F3725600.jpeg

Blake has beautiful markings.  Bring on the cat pictures!

On Name Voyager, Connie was popular in the 1950s and drops off the cliff in the 2,000s.

• Love 3

Aww, thanks for the Polly love!  She's firmly in the camp of "I'm pretty, and I know it".  She's so sweet, but the poor thing has some issues with food security.  She did not have a good start in life, but I hope she knows she always has a home with us and will never want for anything ever again.  She's currently hanging out *in* Mr. Six's hoodie. While he's wearing it 😉 

Scarlett--Blake is beautiful!!

• Love 11

Awww...all this kitty talk. I haven’t seen mine in weeks due to my travels. I have been getting pictures from my granddaughter, whom they are sleeping with...and spoiled. She uses an electric blanket. Ouch when they come back to the real world with me. I missed them, but it really didn’t sink in until I came home and my house seemed empty without them. 

• Love 6
On 11/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, Magoo said:

Well, I suppose now is the time I sheepishly confess to using the Rodan + Fields Lash Boost like a crack addict. It really works on my thin/sparse lashes which (humblebrag) are now long enough that I rarely use mascara, but whenever I do people ask if my lashes are real. Downside - if you stop using it (or any other lash blaster like Latisse), your lashes go back to their original form within a short few months. I'm surprised Jill is trying her hand at selling this line - she's never struck me as one who put much thought into skincare or the like.  Although what do I know, aside from this lash nonsense, I'm a "slap some Curel lotion on my face and call it a day" kind of skincare gal.

I, too, was using the R+F Lash Boost and it worked great. And yes, if you don't keep up with it, the lashes revert back. I hated having to pay so much for it (plus, I hated giving money to any MLM but was kinda forced into trying it by a relative who shilled it) and decided to give Grande Lash serum a try because it cost far less money (but still pricey). It worked even better than R+F (lashes were much fuller) and my lashes didn't retreat after a few weeks of non-use. Using this, combined with a $10 lash tint at the local salon does wonders on days when I don't feel like using mascara. 

19 hours ago, Suzn said:

On Name Voyager, Connie was popular in the 1950s and drops off the cliff in the 2,000s.

Veronica Lake was Connie. Constance, actually, but some director thought the name Connie wouldn’t do and essentially stole his secretary’s name for her. (Lake came from the colour of her eyes) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Veronica Lake was Connie. Constance, actually, but some director thought the name Connie wouldn’t do and essentially stole his secretary’s name for her. (Lake came from the colour of her eyes) 

Interesting!  The name Veronica peaked in the 1980s.

11 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Interesting!  The name Veronica peaked in the 1980s.

Yeah! Im sort of fascinated with the renaming of hollywood stars! Like Norma Jeane Mortenson (probably named after Norma Shearer, who was born Edith) becoming Marilyn Monroe, Betty Joan Perske becoming Lauren Bacall. Some names were just anglicized like Natalia Zakharenko becoming Natalie Wood. Gary wasn't even a name for humans until Frank James Cooper was renamed Gary after Gary, Indiana. It was all about selling something, which I find really interesting. 

I wonder how many girls were named after Veronica Lake. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Yeah! Im sort of fascinated with the renaming of hollywood stars! Like Norma Jeane Mortenson (probably named after Norma Shearer, who was born Edith) becoming Marilyn Monroe, Betty Joan Perske becoming Lauren Bacall. Some names were just anglicized like Natalia Zakharenko becoming Natalie Wood. Gary wasn't even a name for humans until Frank James Cooper was renamed Gary after Gary, Indiana. It was all about selling something, which I find really interesting. 

I wonder how many girls were named after Veronica Lake. 

This names discussion is fun.  This link is to name voyager and you can look up any name for a history of its popularity:http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=veronica&sw=f&exact=true

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 11/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, CalicoKitty said:

To whoever it was that mentioned the Rumple Rug for cats (I think it was someone here), THANK YOU from Lilly and Flora.  They just cannot leave it alone.

Just looked at it.  I am SOOOO getting that for Pippi (who looks like a chubby Miss Polly).  She has a thing for my bathmat so this will excite her to no end!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Just looked at it.  I am SOOOO getting that for Pippi (who looks like a chubby Miss Polly).  She has a thing for my bathmat so this will excite her to no end!

Is it the Ripple Rug?  I couldn't find anything under Rumple Rug.  I hope it's Ripple because I just ordered one for the kitties in my life!

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, louannems said:

Is it the Ripple Rug?  I couldn't find anything under Rumple Rug.  I hope it's Ripple because I just ordered one for the kitties in my life!

I was going to ask this also. I could not find anything about Rumple rug. My cat is fat and lazy I am afraid to buy the Ripple rug because she might just look at it like' Really?".

• Love 1