Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Merry Christmas!!! Spent most of the morning trying to figure out my new instant pot.  Easy recipes always welcome!

I have 3 Instant Pots!  Try “this old gal” website, pressure luck, and if you are on Facebook there are sites.  I love mine.  Ask me questions!!

• Love 6

Ok a question for the group. I was cutting up my turkey i to boil the bones down for soup and I cut myself. It's a puncture wound at the wrist. It feels like it may have it bone, just aches a little and has stopped bleeding. I am concerned that I think it hit bone and is a puncture wound. So the question is should I  wait to go to the Dr. tomorrow or urgent care if he can't work me in or the E.R today. What say ye. 

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I have 3 Instant Pots!  Try “this old gal” website, pressure luck, and if you are on Facebook there are sites.  I love mine.  Ask me questions!!

Put the book on hold at my library 

39 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok a question for the group. I was cutting up my turkey i to boil the bones down for soup and I cut myself. It's a puncture wound at the wrist. It feels like it may have it bone, just aches a little and has stopped bleeding. I am concerned that I think it hit bone and is a puncture wound. So the question is should I  wait to go to the Dr. tomorrow or urgent care if he can't work me in or the E.R today. What say ye. 

ER!!!! Please!

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Put the book on hold at my library 

ER!!!! Please!

Thank you for your response. I will call my Dr. first thing tomorrow. I have no pain or discomfort. I cannot afford to pay 200.00 for a. E.R. visit of not truly an emergency. I do appreciate you fast response when you live alone sometimes it is hard to know a what to do.

• Love 8

@libgirl2 - we all gave up on the cookbooks and go internet. I will think what do I feel like cooking and then google “instant pot recipe meat loaf”. Or pot roast. Or pasta. Or shrimp. Lots come up. Then I look for common things like most of them cook for x minutes etc and try it. You can play with ingredients you like/don’t like. I leave cilantro out of everything. Good luck. Enjoy. Really fired up my cooking 

• Love 7

crazycatlady58, I don't know if it will work for puncture wounds, but my ortho told me to hold my injury above my heart to help with swelling and pain (although mine was a broken bone). Please let us know how everything turns out. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would go to er. Wounds like that can get infected. 

Please keep us updated.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, emma675 said:

crazycatlady58, I don't know if it will work for puncture wounds, but my ortho told me to hold my injury above my heart to help with swelling and pain (although mine was a broken bone). Please let us know how everything turns out. 

I will, no pain and it is not bleeding.

I want to thank all of you for your response. To be honest your response is a lot better than my family's would have been. I will call my Dr. first thing tomorrow and let you know what he says. Again from the bottom of my heart thank all of you for your concern.

• Love 10

I hope everyone had a nice day. I got a an awesome vest, scarf, sweater, sheets, candles, candy, and gift cards....all things I can use. We had some sick family members last night, so not everyone was present, but, it was nice nonetheless. I'm planning on celebrating the rest of the week!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Not 1 person even texted me happy holidays or sent a card. No luck in friends department.

People suck.

I know it's not the same as getting a card or text from someone you know IRL but:

123_1.gif

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Decided to go to movies. It’s packed. If you want to see nyc Xmas pics @nycfunkyrat on Instagram. Macy’s really downgraded their decorations. 

Saw Star Wars it’s not good. Now I’m waiting for Richard Jewel movie. Also packed. 

We saw Little Women today.  I enjoyed it.

crazycatcady58 - I hope it heals quickly and well!

Happy Holidays to you, galaxychaser!  🎄❤️😊

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot, you need a booster.  Your primary care doc should be able to do that.  I hope that you washed the cut out with lots of water, flushing out the wound to decrease the bacterial count makes a big difference when it comes to infection.  I would also probably put a little Neosporin or something similar on it and keep it covered with a bandage until you can be seen.

No way to know for sure if you hit the bone, however, the covering of the bone, the periosteum, has a lot of nerve endings, and, if the knife hit it, it should've been very painful.  The fact that you aren't having much pain makes it more likely that it didn't reach the bone.

• Useful 9
  • Love 8

The dinner was cooked and served, presents opened, dishes washed, and our small family went on their way home. Now I can relax and check up on my Small Talk family. Hope your day was  lovely whether it was just you or a houseful.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

When do you open presents, the 24th or 25th?

We opened most of them today. But we opened some of them Thanksgiving because that is when my son and his family came to town.

I hope the new year will find you a new group you can join where you will find some companionship and activities you can enjoy.

• Love 7

It was just my son & I today and neither of us are big holiday people. I bought a small ham for dinner, but he wanted it on Monday. My son doesn't like turkey,  so we had scalloped potatoes with ham, dinner rolls and salad. It's kind of nice to have sustained quiet. My daughter & grandchildren will be home Friday and that will be the end of quiet time.

• Love 12

I had a wonderful Christmas this year.  Like I mentioned a while back, I found Etsy this year & made most of my purchases from their various vendors..  My husband & son loved all the space, music memorabilia & candy gifts I found for them as well as some of the silly items like the red truck homemade soap & wrapping paper for my husband,  a red truck owner in real life. 

My favorite gifts I gave this year was different colored name embroidered make up bags for the ladies in my family. There were eight total & I filled them with different travel size toiletries I found on line.  I found the bags on Etsy (of course)  & got a nice discount & free shipping from the vendor because of the larger quantity.  I started filling them with travel sizes  of shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. from Amazon but then kept coming up with additional items to add such as a small bottle of nail polish, emory board, comb, pocket Kleenex, hand sanitizer, a smaller package of nice body wipes and even flowered pocket mirrors.  Needless to say they were stuffed when I was done. 

I had so much fun & joy assembling them and am so happy they were a big hit.  My SIL thought the bags came pre-packed & was amazed when I told her I did the choosing of items & packing myself.  It was fun to choose a different color of bag &  embroidery for each lady. I found an Etsy vendor that sold many flavors of lip balm & I chose a different flavor to match each person's taste like cranberry, lemonade & adult beverages like merlot wine, margarita & champagne.  My son & husband laughed at me when I got very excited when boxes came of different items for "the bags." (They were good sports because for weeks most of my conversations dealt with "the bags.")  I got most of the items from Amazon,  Walmart & another company that sells  inexpensive travel items.  Most were sold in groups of 8 or 10 so that was easy. I spent $14 for each bag and  approx. $15 for the items so about $30 for a nice useful personalized gift. 

These cosmetic bag gifts were definitely an example of "it's better to give than to receive."  I told them all today I had just as much fun & joy (or even more)  in making them as they did  in receiving them. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

It was just my son & I today and neither of us are big holiday people. I bought a small ham for dinner, but he wanted it on Monday. My son doesn't like turkey,  so we had scalloped potatoes with ham, dinner rolls and salad. It's kind of nice to have sustained quiet. My daughter & grandchildren will be home Friday and that will be the end of quiet time.

We had out big dinner on Eve so we had leftovers on Christmas day. There wasn't much, just beef and 3 dinner buns. As my son was going to eat with his dad's family, I went to the only place open, Walgreens, and got some mac n cheese to make with the beef. Walgreens was packed! People buying frozen pizzas, chips......

• Love 7

I enjoy reading about everyone's holiday. I'm single, no kids, and blessed to have cousins in town who are my family. (My cousin, her husband, and their grown kids who are married with kids of their own.) We have the big family gift exchange in the evening on the 24th. 

Then, most of us gather on Christmas Day for the mid-day meal. This Christmas Day neither of our first responders was on duty (although the cop worked Christmas Eve). We had a fun laid-back family day. Good food, of which I ate too much as usual. My cousin's grandchildren range in age from teens to an infant. The kids are a hoot. 😊

TBH I've never been a big Christmas-y person. I'm usually just glad it's over, but I do appreciate all the effort that people put in to gifts and meals and treats, and it's also good to think about what it means to give to others. BTW, I appreciate the kindness and helpful posts shared here in the Prayer Closet all year long. Thank you!

So, on to the new year, Prayer Closet friends - and may it be good to all of us!

• Love 14

We had a hectic, but very good holiday. Had a family get-together for some of Mr. Jyn's relatives from New Jersey (his sister usually hosts it, but there was a big drama last year which left her daughter estranged - by choice, It was not pretty), so we decided to host it this year. Sixteen adults and three toddlers. It was nice for my granddaughter to meet her cousins. I had originally planned to make duck, so we ordered four of them, but the menu sort of grew to also feature shrimp. salmon, and steak - a couple of pounds of each. Luckily everyone was more than happy to take home doggy bags! LOL There were also side dishes and lots of dessert - a couple of cheesecakes, tiramisu, an apple crumble, and the traditional date-nut bread.

Our two sons are also here for the holidays, so two days later we did the traditional, multi-course Polish Christmas Eve dinner with my side of the family.

And yesterday, a standing rib-roast, also with all three kids, son-in-law, granddaughter, and my mom.

I'm about cooked out!! LOL But everything came out really good, and we finally got through most of the leftover desserts, and also the traditional Polish Kutia - a meusli-like concoction of cooked wheat-berries, poppyseeds, almonds, raisins, cream and honey. Yum!

The only major gripe I had was that I had to also do all the Christmas shopping as well, as we are all pretty much at the point where there's nothing we specifically need, so no-one ever can come up with a good Christmas list. I'd be happy to do away with all the gift-giving and just do stockings or even donations, but Mr Jyn doesn't think it's Christmas without a good gift exchange. Of course, he is the hardest person ever to shop for, and he refuses to shop for anyone else without specifics on what they would like. He even got snippy with me because I had not bought my own stocking stuffers (the kids, and my daughter in particular, love the stockings most of all, because those are always the little, unexpected bits and pieces. So while everyone else had full stockings, mine was empty but for a couple of lottery tickets (which we always put in everyone's), and a small gift from my daughter. But, of course, that was my fault in his view, because I hadn't given him a list. I would think that after 35 years he might know me well enough to look around and grab a few bits and pieces which might bring a smile to my face... Grrr. Ah, well. Sorry for the vent! Overall, it was really a great few days, though!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

When do you open presents, the 24th or 25th?

Starting when I was a teen and we didn't have any Santa believers in the family, we opened on Christmas Eve.  We conned our parents into letting us open because, with 4 of us being girls, we usually got clothes and that way, we could wear our new stuff to midnight Mass.

Then, when my sisters got married, my father was adamant that Christmas morning was for the nuclear families and their kids should be home for Santa.  So, he started cooking the big meal Christmas Eve (prime rib) and we'd open presents after that.  By then, my baby sister was around but we were able to trick her into thinking it was morning by putting her to bed and waking her up after half an hour or so once the gifts came out of hiding.  My sisters would then have Santa come on Christmas morning at their houses and visit their in-laws for Christmas dinner.  On Christmas Day, my father would hold 'Single Kids' Christmas' in the afternoon and those of us who weren't married were welcome to join him and my mom, when she was still alive, for turkey breast and fixings,

Now, my parents are gone and we've fallen into the routine of Christmas Eve being at my house where we open presents after the prime rib.  One of my sisters lives in Indiana and doesn't join us most years, though she sends our gifts and we pass the phone around to wish her and her hubby Merry Christmas.  One of my sisters died young a few years back and her widower usually spends Christmas Eve with his sisters or with his girlfriend's family.  Christmas Eve was always a big deal in our family and I think it makes him sad to come without my sister.  His kids, my niece and nephew, tend to do Christmas Eve with their respective significant others.

The past several years, a dear friend of mine (college room mate, friends for 44! years) has invited me and my single sibs for Christmas dinner. We both met her future husband the day we moved into the dorms back in '75, so he's a close friend too.  She lives about half an hour away and has a beautiful home and is an amazing cook.  So, my sister, brother and I went yesterday and spent a wonderful afternoon with them and their son (in from San Francisco), her brother (in from W Va) as well as a lovely Chinese woman and her 2 young daughters who my friend met while auditing classes at a local college.  They had never done Christmas, of course, and my friend had stockings for each of the girls from Santa filled with little toys and games and candy.  The kids were so adorable, absolutely delighted with the gifts and the decorations and the fun. Their mom made pot stickers from scratch which were a delicious addition to our meal.  Always a joy to have kids around at Christmas.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15

Hello all my small talk friends! 

I had a very pleasant Christmas- my sister made out like a fat rat, Disney Princess everything and new sheets, Christmas nightgowns, photo books etc. Her new caregiver had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, I made breakfast for her and my Mom. My mom loved her temper pedic house slippers and other various presents. 

I headed to my BFF’s house for dinner and present opening with them and made out almost as well as my 5yrs old god daughter- lots of drink ware and Harry Potter pjs!

I finished off my night attempting to watch Lucy Worsley’s 12 Days of Tudor Christmas BUT I fell asleep on Day 4🤣. I’m headed to the Disney store as soon as it opens (one two blocks from work) to get some ornaments and gifts for my sisters birthday in January. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hello all my small talk friends! 

I had a very pleasant Christmas- my sister made out like a fat rat, Disney Princess everything and new sheets, Christmas nightgowns, photo books etc. Her new caregiver had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, I made breakfast for her and my Mom. My mom loved her temper pedic house slippers and other various presents. 

I headed to my BFF’s house for dinner and present opening with them and made out almost as well as my 5yrs old god daughter- lots of drink ware and Harry Potter pjs!

I finished off my night attempting to watch Lucy Worsley’s 12 Days of Tudor Christmas BUT I fell asleep on Day 4🤣. I’m headed to the Disney store as soon as it opens (one two blocks from work) to get some ornaments and gifts for my sisters birthday in January. 

I watched the last part of that and loved it! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I fell asleep during Richard Jewell. The movie was so so long and dull. At least I saw the end. 

Sorry it disappointed. But, thanks for the review. It wasn't high on my list of movies to see and now it's even lower!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love Lucy Worsley so much. She has my fantasy life. I’ll watch tonight when I get home. 

Me too! To be able to do all that and the clothes she gets to wear! She was Anne of Cleves. 

9 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Sorry it disappointed. But, thanks for the review. It wasn't high on my list of movies to see and now it's even lower!

I guess that is one for DVD! This morning I stopped to get gas and the woman working there said she saw Cats. She enjoyed it. I heard it was awful. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've enjoyed reading about all the different ways people celebrate. 

I hear you @Jynnan tonnix. Mr. Barb & I had a similar incident with my stocking stuffers last year.  For some reason I didn't  get my usual, Gummy Bears & lottery tickets that he bought everyone else.  I have always gotten them along with other trinkets for 34+ years we've been together.   Poor son of Barb felt so bad for me after I vented to him, he surprised me & bought me some.  This year they were back in my stocking & I won $7 from the lottery tickets. 

My mother-in-law has a big birthday coming up next week - the big 80. Besides back problems which she's had since I've known her, she is in good health & still lives in her own house,  travels & enjoys life.

As much as I complain about my yearly bath set gift from her, I am impressed & look forward to her gifts each year, not only mine, but what she chooses for each of us. She really puts thought into individual gifts, & rarely do two people end up with the same gift.  She likes to pick up gifts throughout the year & when she travels so we have ended up with some unique things. Hand made turquoise earrings from out west have been one of my favorites.  She is a retired teacher & reading specialist so books play a big part of her gifts. Like the other gifts, she tailors the book(s) to our likes.  She gave my nephew's fiance, a new teacher,  books for her to use & read to her class including everyone's favorite, Curious George. She also takes pride in her wrappings & finds unique paper, boxes, bags & tags. She organizes everything & each of us gets one of those popular reusable tote bags filled with our gifts.

I almost forgot, my MIL is also crafty & decorates beautiful Christmas wreaths she puts on family &  loved one's graves.  She has always included my dad's grave in her wreaths which my mother, sister & I greatly appreciate.  

The quick selling of my mother's house ( our childhood home)  earlier this month was the  best Christmas gift this year for my brother, sister & I.  This time last year we were just in the beginning stages of cleaning it out, updating it & getting it ready to put it on the market. It has been one looong year looking back.  We are happy the lady that bought it is so excited with it & already has plans to make a master bedroom suite out of me and my sister's former bedrooms. 

I was lucky my arthritis behaved itself yesterday & I was able to go to both sides of the family to celebrate.  I tackled steps & maneuvered through different houses using my walker with the best of them. I plan on taking it easy today to recuperate & catch up with the Duggars & my fellow posters.  Looking forward to riding through our town to see the Christmas lights.  

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love Lucy Worsley so much. She has my fantasy life. I’ll watch tonight when I get home. 

I've got it on the DVR and will watch it this weekend.  I love all things Tudor.  And Lucy is the coolest.

27 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I fell asleep during Richard Jewell. The movie was so so long and dull. At least I saw the end. 

I decided to avoid it because I understand a great deal of 'dramatic license' was taken in telling the story of the female reporter who broke the story that Jewell was a suspect.  She received the tip from someone in law enforcement and wrote the story, she is no longer alive and never revealed her source or how she got it.  So, in writing the script, Clint Eastwood decided it was perfectly ok to imply that she slept with someone in law enforcement to get the info.  Because, of course, as we all know, women do that all the time.  Except we don't.  I saw an interview with Eastwood where he actually defended the storyline because it 'could have happened that way'.  No proof, no hint; just wild speculation that this woman, who is no longer alive to defend herself; became one of the top reporters in the south by sleeping with her sources. 

I have enjoyed many different movies made by Clint Eastwood in the past, I will never watch another one.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Me too! To be able to do all that and the clothes she gets to wear! She was Anne of Cleves. 

I guess that is one for DVD! This morning I stopped to get gas and the woman working there said she saw Cats. She enjoyed it. I heard it was awful. 

I saw the Broadway tour of Cats back in the mid '80's and hated it.  Never going to see the movie.  I found the stage makeup slightly disturbing and it looks like the movie is the same.

I love theater, especially musicals, and have enjoyed many other Andrew Lloyd Webber productions.  I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar a bunch and Phantom of the Opera a couple of times.  Cats just didn't do it for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I've got it on the DVR and will watch it this weekend.  I love all things Tudor.  And Lucy is the coolest.

Me too! I would love just once to wear one of the dresses. I guess I could try at the nearby RenFaire. I wouldn't buy one but I could rent one. I almost bought a French Hood one year. But where would I wear it besides the RenFaire? And its rather far from where I live so I don't go often. 

10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I saw the Broadway tour of Cats back in the mid '80's and hated it.  Never going to see the movie.  I found the stage makeup slightly disturbing and it looks like the movie is the same.

I love theater, especially musicals, and have enjoyed many other Andrew Lloyd Webber productions.  I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar a bunch and Phantom of the Opera a couple of times.  Cats just didn't do it for me.

Never saw Cats, not sure if I would want to, but the movie looks scary weird. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I decided to avoid it because I understand a great deal of 'dramatic license' was taken in telling the story of the female reporter who broke the story that Jewell was a suspect.  She received the tip from someone in law enforcement and wrote the story, she is no longer alive and never revealed her source or how she got it.  So, in writing the script, Clint Eastwood decided it was perfectly ok to imply that she slept with someone in law enforcement to get the info.  Because, of course, as we all know, women do that all the time.  Except we don't.  I saw an interview with Eastwood where he actually defended the storyline because it 'could have happened that way'.  No proof, no hint; just wild speculation that this woman, who is no longer alive to defend herself; became one of the top reporters in the south by sleeping with her sources. 

This is exactly why I'm not seeing it or any other Clint Eastwood film anymore. I would be enraged if I was the reporter's family or friends, it's ridiculous. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

This is exactly why I'm not seeing it or any other Clint Eastwood film anymore. I would be enraged if I was the reporter's family or friends, it's ridiculous. 

I completely agree. She is no longer here to speak up. 

• Love 6

My family, starting with my great grandparents, for many years have celebrated (food and gift exchanges) with the extended family on Christmas Eve. (Even though Santa came in the a.m.)   Then, on Christmas Day, a smaller gathering for dinner. Yesterday, I went to the Memory Care to visit my cousin and then to Nursing home to see a friend who's rehabbing after surgery.  He was so happy to have a guest. That's tough to be in a facility alone on a holiday.  The place seemed cheerful though.  Lots of people and music being played.

Our small gathering for Christmas day dwindled this year due to some sickness and other issues  (One of my brothers is going through a separation:(   So, I picked up Chinese for those who could make it.  It was delicious. My mom and I had planned to watch Downtown Abby movie on tv, but, she got too tired and we decided to do it another time. 

I forgot to post that I also got an office gift of a bottle of Egg Nog with whiskey, rum and brandy in it!  lol  I'm going to enjoy a nice cold glass of that before too long.  I'm not a huge Egg nog fan, but, it looks delicious. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I forgot to post that I also got an office gift of a bottle of Egg Nog with whiskey, rum and brandy in it!  lol  I'm going to enjoy a nice cold class of that before too long.  I'm not a huge Egg nog fan, but, it looks delicious. 

sounds really yummy! 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

sounds really yummy! 

Yeah, I don't really know what it tastes like.  I tried some that a friend made many years ago, but, it had so much alcohol in it, that I just couldn't drink it.  I think this might be different, with just the right amount in it. 

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I don't really know what it tastes like.  I tried some that a friend made many years ago, but, it had so much alcohol in it, that I just couldn't drink it.  I think this might be different, with just the right amount in it. 

I hope so. 

• Love 1