Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I find it weird when parents kiss their kids on the lips. saw a guy kiss his son 10-12 years old on the lips in a fast food joint. Maybe it’s just me.

Hehehe, my daughter kisses me on the lips!  I wouldn’t have initiated it, but she does, so I go with it!  My other kids don’t. Otherwise only my husband!  

• Love 5

Okay, here' something weird. I dreamed last night I was a Duggar kid and I was telling Boob and MEchelle that I was an atheist and used birth control. And then I got to kick MEchelle in the balls. In the dream, I was surprised she had them. When I woke up, I just figured they were Boob's.

No one but you folks would appreciate this. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 23
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Hehehe, my daughter kisses me on the lips!  I wouldn’t have initiated it, but she does, so I go with it!  My other kids don’t. Otherwise only my husband!  

My younger son kissed me on the lips until he was about four. The older two, not so much. There was something very sweet and natural about it, though it's really not something I would purposefully encourage. He was just very much a snuggle-bunny until he got to be about 10, but even then, sometimes, if we went for a walk, he would still hold my hand as we strolled and chatted.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My younger son kissed me on the lips until he was about four. The older two, not so much. There was something very sweet and natural about it, though it's really not something I would purposefully encourage. He was just very much a snuggle-bunny until he got to be about 10, but even then, sometimes, if we went for a walk, he would still hold my hand as we strolled and chatted.

Yeah, every kid/family is different. From a very small child (Under 7) I wouldn’t think anything of it, but 10 or so would look off to me, not that I’m saying it’s wrong or inappropriate just atypical. 

• Love 2
On 11/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, galaxychaser said:

Anybody buy anything good this Black Friday?

I wanted a Fitbit. Maybe I will get it for myself for birthday. 

I love my Instant Pots and there is a lid that turns it into an air fryer. It was on sale. That is my treat to myself.  

• Love 9

Ugh, back spasms. I don't get them often but when I do, ouch. I'm not sure what I did yesterday but I woke up around 1am with whatever muscle runs from behind my ear and down over my shoulder blade spasm-ing like crazy. It felt like someone was stabbing me with a hot poker and it went on for hours. It's still sore and stiff, and I have the headache from hell now. Some days I hate aging, lol.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ugh, back spasms. I don't get them often but when I do, ouch. I'm not sure what I did yesterday but I woke up around 1am with whatever muscle runs from behind my ear and down over my shoulder blade spasm-ing like crazy. It felt like someone was stabbing me with a hot poker and it went on for hours. It's still sore and stiff, and I have the headache from hell now. Some days I hate aging, lol.

I've been getting these super painful inner thigh spasms.  I literally scream in pain!  The first time it happened, I had gone hiking in the summer, came home after and crashed on the couch, reading my tablet.  Then the spasms began, first one inner thigh, then the other, then both.  While screaming, I googled what to do.  I quickly drank a very large glass of water with 1/4th teaspoon of salt mixed in.  I didn't have another spasm that night.

I've also read drinking water with pickle juice will do the trick.

I hope you find a solution to your neck spasms soon!

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

We buried my dad this morning in a family-only service.  Then we had his Memorial Service this afternoon.  My dad always hated long funerals, so we made sure it was short, sweet, and by the book.  Just a good Lutheran funeral. No speeches, no speakers besides the Pastor-- just an exceptionally nice church service (short!)  For years he had said that he wanted me to sing the Navy Hymn at his funeral, so I felt I had to do it.  I was the only music besides the hymns, but it went very well.  Especially since I had to sing immediately after the reading of his obituary.  So many people attended, even though weather was cold and overcast.  Luckily, no rain today.  He was loved and respected by so many people. It was a good day.  I will miss him.

• Love 16

@CalicoKitty, what a lovely tribute to your father.  So lovely that his service was just as he wished it to be. Hugs to you at this difficult time.  May your memories bring you comfort.  ❤️

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, wilsie said:

For everyone who has suffered the loss of a much loved person or pet, please know you are in my thoughts so often.

Thank you for sharing. I wish I could like it 100 times. Hug your loved ones more often and make happy memories while you can.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Thank you for sharing. I wish I could like it 100 times. Hug your loved ones more often and make happy memories while you can.

You are so welcome.  It's not just holiday grief that it's appropriate for.  Birthdays, anniversaries, so many times and things that were special with the one you've lost.  Grief is unique to the person who is grieving and it can seemingly come out of nowhere. 

• Love 6

Sad day today...Just found out that one of my cousins in England passed away this morning. She was only 68, but had been a chain smoker since way, way back and never could give it up to the end. Her heart and lungs just finally gave out. That's the second of my cousins to go way too young in the past couple of years.

Also, my daughter told me that her 10-week ultrasound showed no heartbeat.  😢

I'm going to go hibernate for a bit and try to get back in a Christmas shopping mood next week.

8 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Sad day today...Just found out that one of my cousins in England passed away this morning. She was only 68, but had been a chain smoker since way, way back and never could give it up to the end. Her heart and lungs just finally gave out. That's the second of my cousins to go way too young in the past couple of years.

I'm going to go hibernate for a bit and try to get back in a Christmas shopping mood next week.

Oh gosh I understand.  Sending hugs.  Sometimes we need to hibernate.  

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm so sorry.  That's so much sadness in such a short amount of time.  Whatever you need to do.  Take care of yourself and your daughter.

• Love 6

So sorry about your news @Jynnan tonnix.  My thoughts are with you & your family during these difficult times. 

On 12/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, wilsie said:

You are so welcome.  It's not just holiday grief that it's appropriate for.  Birthdays, anniversaries, so many times and things that were special with the one you've lost.  Grief is unique to the person who is grieving and it can seemingly come out of nowhere. 

How true. My dad's death hit me the hardest on the first  Father's Day without him. 

Like I've said before, his death really hit my mom hard on the first Christmas without him (almost a full year later.)  She was now signing just her name on Christmas cards after signing both of theirs for 45 years. Plus it was his running joke that one of the reasons he married her was so she could do his Christmas cards.

My father-in-law died on Dec 13 many years ago & it was a Friday.  The  Christmasthat year was a blur for all of us.  Except we knew he was with us because a couple of my MIL's wind up music boxes started playing at various times out of the blue.  It may have been just a fluke but we like to think he was checking in with us & telling us things were OK. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

So sorry about your news @Jynnan tonnix.  My thoughts are with you & your family during these difficult times. 

How true. My dad's death hit me the hardest on the first  Father's Day without him. 

Like I've said before, his death really hit my mom hard on the first Christmas without him (almost a full year later.)  She was now signing just her name on Christmas cards after signing both of theirs for 45 years. Plus it was his running joke that one of the reasons he married her was so she could do his Christmas cards.

My father-in-law died on Dec 13 many years ago & it was a Friday.  The  Christmasthat year was a blur for all of us.  Except we knew he was with us because a couple of my MIL's wind up music boxes started playing at various times out of the blue.  It may have been just a fluke but we like to think he was checking in with us & telling us things were OK. 

This happened to me between the dates of my mothers death and my fathers bday (who was also dead).  It hadn't been played for prob well over 30+ years (locked in a cabinet in our bedroom and woke us up).  Had no idea what the song was.  Then I heard it fully.  It was Close to You by the Carpenters.  My mom's fav song.  I told a psychic I know (fairly well known for ghost shows she is on) and she said music boxes are a very common tool for spirits to use to contact you.  So he was there with you all!  Very sweet memory!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I am so sorry for your losses. This is such a difficult time of the year to endure a loss. Please take care of yourself and your daughter.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Oh I'm so sorry, Jyn. *hugs*

• Love 5

Jynnan Tonnix: So much sadness for you, & such a hard time of year for you to carry all of it! I pray that you find comfort & solace, & also the strength that I know you will need to help your daughter. Deepest sympathy.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm so sorry.  that's a lot of sadness to deal with.

• Love 6

My uncle got a tumor on his kidney. He told me an hour ago. Tuesday he is seeing the doctor for the results. 

He told me not to tell his son. 

I can’t take any more bad news. 

And to keep quiet??? But if I blab he won’t tell me anything else. Everything is a secret. 

42 minutes ago, louannems said:

I have two photo canvasses and I love them!  They are from Olan Mills and are high quality and really look like paintings!  Theyare expensive, but I learned how to buy them cheaply.

My sister, who had her kids before I did, told me that she refused the canvas print photo.  About three months later, Olan Mills called her and said they were cleaning out their files and would she like to purchase the photo at a greatly reduced price?  She did.

I did the same thing and low and behold I received the phone call offering the canvas cheaply.  I bought it and several years later, I bought another the same way.

I do agree that family photos shouldn't be plastered all over living room walls, but that's just me.  My upstairs hallway is plastered with them on both sides.

I've never had pictures of people on the walls until quite recently. I love family photos beyond words, but just prefer them in an album. My best high-school friend had three huge portraits, of herself and her two siblings (all at roughly four years of age), done with that fake "oil paint" finish of the mid 1960's. I remember always thinking they were a bit much, but would never say a word against them to this day, even though she would probably agree. I suppose it's likely that the technology has improved quite a bit since then. Still, as a sometime artist who has always loved doing portraits and sold a few, it's always a sore spot for me when I see computerized images pixilated and altered to resemble   paintings. I'm sure the work is lovely to see, but it always seems that for every computer-enhanced print out there, there's an artist who has been unable to find a commission. It's so hard to even think or asking a price which reflects the time put into a hand-drawn or painted work when a computer can more or less automatically spit out a visual equivalent by running the photo through a paint filter.

Taking this to the prayer closet as well, though, as it really doesn't belong here. And not meaning to step on toes at all...if I did, I'm sorry, but it's just a bit of a peeve of mine.

• Love 7