Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, louannems said:

Is it the Ripple Rug?  I couldn't find anything under Rumple Rug.  I hope it's Ripple because I just ordered one for the kitties in my life!

Yes!  That is it.  Just saw the pic again. 

• Love 3

Is anyone watching Plathville?  I haven't and probably won't as it seems like it would be scripted--a Duggar-type family who thought that watching them try to rein in their wayward almost grown children would satisfy the people who advocate for the adult Duggar children to break away.  I hope that makes some sense.

• Love 1

I just watched a live YouTube from a blogger who interviewed Olivia Plath. She met Ethan Plath at a conference sponsored by the Pearls. Yes, THOSE Pearls. 

One daughter has become emancipated since the show filmed, and Nurie Rodrigues was a bridesmaid in suckup Hosanna's wedding. I wonder how the Plaths and Rods crossed paths? The Plaths homechurch. Maybe through a band performance at a church the Rods were grifting at?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, louannems said:

Is it the Ripple Rug?  I couldn't find anything under Rumple Rug.  I hope it's Ripple because I just ordered one for the kitties in my life!

Yes, it is the Ripple Rug.  Rumple/Ripple.  I was close!

• Love 5

A little late to the name discussion, but my family tree has some doozies! In the 1800's, we had such hits as Nicanor (pronounced Nigh-CAIN-or) and Nicanor Jr., McCagie, Pharoah, Durwood and Norwood (twins), Exum, Idera, Senora (pronounced Suh-Norah), Albro, Rodolph, Hebert, Willibur, and many more! They had to be odd names, even for the time. That side of the family also has a cemetery, and very few of the graves have normal sounding names, lol!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just watched a live YouTube from a blogger who interviewed Olivia Plath. She met Ethan Plath at a conference sponsored by the Pearls. Yes, THOSE Pearls. 

One daughter has become emancipated since the show filmed, and Nurie Rodrigues was a bridesmaid in suckup Hosanna's wedding. I wonder how the Plaths and Rods crossed paths? The Plaths homechurch. Maybe through a band performance at a church the Rods were grifting at?

Thanks for info on the Plaths Sew. I do remember the pictures Jill posted of Nurie being in Hosanna's wedding & noting  all the blondes. 

The olderPlath  boy who is married is something else again.   I definitely call him a boy as he seems he stopped growing mentally at 10.  It's one thing being sheltered but it's another to act like he does.  But  I'm sure the TLC crew play up his naivete. 

• Love 2

I am very late to the program but have recently discovered the world of Etsy.  Wow - have been able to find Mr. Barb & Son of Barb some unique Christmas gifts.   We decided years ago not to go on a spending frenzy for each other but just give some smaller $$ gifts.  So I found him stamps & patches from the Space days of the late 50's & 60's & different sports & Beach Boy memorabilia which he collects. Nothing expensive - I think a $15 Tshirt is one of the highest prices items I found & most are just stocking stuffers. He always finds unique gifts for everyone else  so this year Santa will be surprising him (hopefully).

This is a funny story about one of first items I found on Etsy.  As I've said before, I live in Maryland & we enjoy our local seafood esp steamed crabs. I found a unique metal style crab mallet for Son of Barb. (For those of you that don't know much about steamed blue crabs, some type of crab mallet or hammer or even the heavy end of a table knife is needed to crack through the claw shells.)  I figured the gal who was selling them   had to have crab knowledge so figured she hailed from the waterfront areas of Maryland,  Delaware or Virginia.  I got the receipt of my order & believe it or not, the crab hammer seller lives in my small little town which is no where near the shores of Maryland but more inland.  I did get free shipping on the item so at least I'm not paying her $5 to ship it to me from probably around the corner. 

Happy shopping everyone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I am very late to the program but have recently discovered the world of Etsy.  Wow - have been able to find Mr. Barb & Son of Barb some unique Christmas gifts.   We decided years ago not to go on a spending frenzy for each other but just give some smaller $$ gifts.  So I found him stamps & patches from the Space days of the late 50's & 60's & different sports & Beach Boy memorabilia which he collects. Nothing expensive - I think a $15 Tshirt is one of the highest prices items I found & most are just stocking stuffers. He always finds unique gifts for everyone else  so this year Santa will be surprising him (hopefully).

This is a funny story about one of first items I found on Etsy.  As I've said before, I live in Maryland & we enjoy our local seafood esp steamed crabs. I found a unique metal style crab mallet for Son of Barb. (For those of you that don't know much about steamed blue crabs, some type of crab mallet or hammer or even the heavy end of a table knife is needed to crack through the claw shells.)  I figured the gal who was selling them   had to have crab knowledge so figured she hailed from the waterfront areas of Maryland,  Delaware or Virginia.  I got the receipt of my order & believe it or not, the crab hammer seller lives in my small little town which is no where near the shores of Maryland but more inland.  I did get free shipping on the item so at least I'm not paying her $5 to ship it to me from probably around the corner. 

Happy shopping everyone!

Our daughter and SIL will spend Christmas in Vienna with his parents (I try not to be jealous) and son and DIL are in south Georgia (the state, not the country) with his in-laws so I am sending checks or gift cards.   We are at a point where we need nothing and probably should get rid of a lot of accumulated items that no one will want when we are dead so I think we will just go to Mass and have a nice Christmas dinner using our good china and silverware.  I may even skip having a real tree.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I may even skip having a real tree.

I spent Christmas by myself last year so thought ok, no tree necessary. My daughter came to visit a few days later with a small (2’-3’) pre-lit tree as my present because she was mad that I didn’t go all out to celebrate alone.

The cats celebrated with cans of tuna for breakfast and real chicken for dinner so technically I wasn’t alone. 

2BCE6DD9-0D97-4A19-9B0A-4862723F7CE4.thumb.jpeg.a7acdec480e9be3f8e025ba7e65ef4a5.jpeg

• Love 18
On 11/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Barb23 said:

This is a funny story about one of first items I found on Etsy.  As I've said before, I live in Maryland & we enjoy our local seafood esp steamed crabs.

We used to head over to Solomons (or as my gr-aunt called it, Solomons Island) when we were in DC; now I am closer to Charleston or Savannah.

• Love 1

Bringing this over from the Jill and Derick thread because of someone posting about the SNL Love Toilet.

I know this couple--he's related to a stepparent, and she's married to him--who could really use that. He has talked on more than one occasion about how she follows him to the bathroom in the middle of the night and sits on the tub and WATCHES HIM AS HE TAKES A SHIT because she has abandonment issues and wants to make sure he's actually got to take a shit and is not trying to run away from her. 

I don't know what baffles me more: the fact that she does this, the fact that he goes along with it, or the fact that they tell people that they do this. 

My daughter asked me tonight when I wanted to decorate for Christmas. She has a new boyfriend about 3 hours away.  She and the kids are spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with him and his kids. She was a little taken aback that I wasn't interested in decorating. I have a fake tree, but only put it up when my grandson lived with me at Christmas time. If they're going to be gone the two weeks of the kids' Christmas vacation, I don't see any reason to rearrange my living room for a tree. 

• Love 11
On 11/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

Please allow me a small rant.  When you go into a retail moments before closing please select what you came for as soon as possible ?  If you know it will take you a while come back when everyone has more time. I had to leave an hour early today ( our company is always trying to keep hours down) so I would not have overtime. We had been slow so no worries. The employee had 2 different customers come in right before closing. They kept her one and a half hours after she should have closed. Its not so much they came in right before we closed that happens and we are glad to help but please make a decision. I now have to explain to my D.M. why we had more hours than we were allowed, which he will understand but tell me to reduce next weeks hours. That does not bother me so much. What bothers me is my employee being kept so long after she should have gone home. It is just rude to keep someone so long after the store should have closed. Thank you for letting me sound off. I do enjoy my job and customers but at the end of the day you just want to go home.

Last Sunday I went to get a haircut, and walked in as they were closing. 

They apologized a bunch of times, and kept on apologizing as I hurriedly backed out. They obviously had been yelled at before by (very last) minute customers for not taking them.

I said" oh no.. I'm SO sorry..I should've remembered the hours are different on Sunday!"  

I think people who are fine with just casually dropping into a business at the last minute and not understanding the employees are dead on their feet and want to go home, have never worked a service job in their life, and it shows. 

Ps.  :::::::waving hello to everyone reading here::::::😊

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

So a bit of a humble brag.

The past few years of school and contract work took their toll, plus I was dance training almost non-stop. A lot of days were grabbing take away because I was too tired to cook. I topped out at 175 lbs on the scale two years ago. I am short with a small frame. I also looked very sickly. 

I decided I would have to make sustainable changes to my lifestyle. I had no choice. I started off with new exercise routines and strength building. I quit training because it was looking unlikely I was going to hit pro status with the owner I was training under. I started calorie counting and meal prepping once a week. 

Today? 146 lbs on the scale.

I still have 16 lbs to go but I'm going to evaluate once I hit 135 lbs if that is enough. 

It is a massive commitment. I see why so many people struggle. It took making a tiny change every single frigging week. Quitting dance training was the best thing I have ever done. I miss dancing but there is a certain freedom in being able to move in your own space and time and on your own terms. 

Forget that "humble" nonsense, hon. You've earned the rights to a big honking full-fledged BRAG!!!!!

I hope you continue to reclaim your health. Thanks for sharing your story. It's more encouraging than you know.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, Twopper said:

We used to head over to Solomons (or as my gr-aunt called it, Solomons Island) when we were in DC; now I am closer to Charleston or Savannah.

Aww, there are a lot of neat small habited islands in the Chesapeake to visit.   One of the most well known is Smith Island, home of the many layered  Smith Island Cake. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I think whoever invented the C-pap machine should be knighted, canonized, and given the keys to the kingdom! Although, I actually have a bi-pap machine because I'm getting 29 cm/H2O and the C-pap only goes up to 10. 

Getting enough oxygen and sleep, plus the right combo of mood meds, have been a complete game changer. I have more energy, get more done, and surprisingly no longer feel the need to put up with anyone's b.s. I actually decluttered and rearranged my living room Friday and it only took a couple of hours. Now I need to concentrate on cleaning up my eating habits and losing weight.

I’m so happy for you. 

• Love 6

Hi friends- things have been less than stellar in my neck of the woods. 

My god mother has bile duct cancer- and some of the lymphnodes are positive. She and my Mom have been BFF’s for the last 47 years, they are current each other’s longest relationship (my Mom has no living family outside of my sister and I, my god mother is estranged from her only sibling who’s an utter asshole). They met in medical school over cadaver. My God Mother’s husband is a mess (they’ve been married 3yrs and he’s a decade older than her and thought he’d go first). Everyone is scared, my Mom is medical POA. 

More than my own feelings (I love my god mother dearly and she tells me to please care for her dog if she dies😢) I don’t want my Mom to be alone in this world. She’s buried both her parents (her father lived with us, but went slowly to senility and she had a long time to grieve), she’s never been married, I cannot imagine how she is feeling right now. She was so worried she forgot to get her plate sticker and got a ticket!! Of course we have talked about all this, and I can tell she’s scared. My Mom doesn’t do scared well, she just gets angry and pissy (not at me because she loves me but she’s a force with everyone else). During surgery “if I have to tell these racist fucks I’m a doctor ONE MORE TIME.”..........Lawd. 

Ive been given an envelope to hold for my youngest god sister who lives in MI (we are in Chicago). 

Thanks for listening. I just want to be there for my Mom. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My god mother has bile duct cancer- and some of the lymphnodes are positive. She and my Mom have been BFF’s for the last 47 years, they are current each other’s longest relationship (my Mom has no living family outside of my sister and I, my god mother is estranged from her only sibling who’s an utter asshole). They met in medical school over cadaver. My God Mother’s husband is a mess (they’ve been married 3yrs and he’s a decade older than her and thought he’d go first). Everyone is scared, my Mom is medical POA. 

More than my own feelings (I love my god mother dearly and she tells me to please care for her dog if she dies😢) I don’t want my Mom to be alone in this world. She’s buried both her parents (her father lived with us, but went slowly to senility and she had a long time to grieve), she’s never been married, I cannot imagine how she is feeling right now. She was so worried she forgot to get her plate sticker and got a ticket!! Of course we have talked about all this, and I can tell she’s scared. My Mom doesn’t do scared well, she just gets angry and pissy (not at me because she loves me but she’s a force with everyone else). During surgery “if I have to tell these racist fucks I’m a doctor ONE MORE TIME.”..........Lawd. 

Ive been given an envelope to hold for my youngest god sister who lives in MI (we are in Chicago). 

I am so sorry that all of you are going through this, from your godmother, your mom, you, and anyone who loves this special woman.  I pray that your godmother gets excellent care and that your mom and all of you can find peace while you go through this really sad and difficult time.  I hope your mom knows what a wonderful human she put into this world.   Prayers and blessings for all of you.

Edited by wilsie
  • Love 14

PikaScrewChu, that's amazing, congrats! I've lost a little over 40 pounds since March by switching to modified low carb. I feel like I've plateaued recently, though, so if you have any tips, please share! I'm about 18 pounds away from my target weight. 

Scarlett45, I'm so sorry for your mom, you, and your godmother. Cancer is an insidious bitch and I hate that it seemingly touches everyone at some point. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

PikaScrewChu, that's amazing, congrats! I've lost a little over 40 pounds since March by switching to modified low carb. I feel like I've plateaued recently, though, so if you have any tips, please share! I'm about 18 pounds away from my target weight. 

Scarlett45, I'm so sorry for your mom, you, and your godmother. Cancer is an insidious bitch and I hate that it seemingly touches everyone at some point. 

I’m having a biopsy for possible lymphoma on Thursday. 

On 11/16/2019 at 3:04 PM, Twopper said:

Our daughter and SIL will spend Christmas in Vienna with his parents (I try not to be jealous) and son and DIL are in south Georgia (the state, not the country) with his in-laws so I am sending checks or gift cards.   We are at a point where we need nothing and probably should get rid of a lot of accumulated items that no one will want when we are dead so I think we will just go to Mass and have a nice Christmas dinner using our good china and silverware.  I may even skip having a real tree.

I have never regretted cutting out most all of the gift exchanging with the extended family (The number of family members had increased and it was just not feasible any longer, so it amounted to everyone just handing out and exchanging gift cards. lol), except for the kids.  There's only one left now, so, we will have fun with the toy gifts. And, I will get my parents something nice. AND, this year, I'm getting one of my brother's a gift. He's really helped me out a LOT this year.  HOWEVER, I won't skimp on my decorations!  lol  I already have up two falls trees and two winter trees. (The winter trees are not traditional Christmas trees, but, more in the winter vein with snow, holly berries, white lights.)  It gives the house the most wonderful ambiance. And, I've put out more of my battery operated candles.   I just love it!

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

• Love 8

@Scarlett45 and @EVS - there are no good words when you hear that possibility.  I've posted about my son and his Renal Cell Cancer - it is life changing for sure.  I am hoping that either the biopsies are negative or that whatever it turns out to be is treatable with a good outcome.  Sometimes we just don't know.

@Scarlett45 - when my son got his diagnosis and we were processing it all, with a lot of tears, he said to me "I want to die at home so the dog isn't confused".  OMG.  What mother wants to hear that.  So I understand, really I do, even though our situation is different.  We are all here for each other, so keep us posted.

• Love 7

Hello lovelies ❤️ Just an update here.  Was in Detroit about 10 days and, between my brother and other sister and I, we managed all the arrangements and were able address all her belongings at the group home.

It was a long and difficult trip and all your loving well wishes really helped me survive it.  Thank you all so much.

@Jeeves I’m so sorry you lost your furry friend. Something about their constancy and unconditional love is irreplaceable.

@Scarlett45 Cancer is evil and bile duct cancer is especially cruel. I’m sure your mom really appreciates having you to support her. But be sure to look after yourself as well. I send you lots of love.

@Rescue Mama I hope you are tolerating your treatment as comfortably as possible and that your doctors have a good handle on what will help you. I hope you’ll keep us updated as you are able.

@EVS Know that I’m thinking about you. This time of waiting for results is incredibly difficult. Been there. They’ve made a lot of strides in lymphoma care, so if it comes down to that I wish you the very best of care. 

Much love for all my prayer closet cohorts!

• Love 22
2 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Hello lovelies ❤️ Just an update here.  Was in Detroit about 10 days and, between my brother and other sister and I, we managed all the arrangements and were able address all her belongings at the group home.

It was a long and difficult trip and all your loving well wishes really helped me survive it.  Thank you all so much.

It's good to hear from you--thank you for the update. 

• Love 8

Thank you all for the support and good thoughts. The waiting is definitely the hardest part. Hopefully, I will get at least some results tomorrow before I leave the hospital.  

• Love 16
58 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

Adding to the cute animal pictures: this is my grand puppy Bo Barkley (we’re an Auburn University family) 

E1E828E5-CFBC-448B-99AC-B2CE05D10740.jpeg

OMG!  I'm having a cute overdose!  What a sweet baby.

• Love 8

Love the name discussions above - I am obsessed with name origins, meanings, etc.  I'm a Barbara, born in 1951.  Mine was a fairly popular name for girls in that era, but it's pretty much gone now.  For a long time I couldn't understand why my dad wanted this name for me, there are no Barbaras in our family tree.  Then one day I looked through his old high school yearbook from 1939 and noted there were a number of Barbaras in his graduating class, almost all of them quite attractive.  My dad was very quiet and shy in HS and did not date, but I figured he must have had a secret crush on one of these girls and that's why I got the name.

I've never liked being Barbara (the name originates from the word barbarian, ugh) - and I don't like any of the associated nicknames, at least not for me.  Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a Barbie, Babs or Bebe.  I'm okay with my closest family and friends calling me Barb, but I'm not too fond of that either, to be honest

One of THE most popular names amongst my female peers was Deborah, or Debbie.  I've always thought that was a really cute name, and would like to see it revived. 

• Love 7