Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, AUgirl said:

@wilsie He’s a shipoo (mom is a shin tzu and dad is a poodle). He has the sweetest personality and is very loving (and spoiled rotten). Bonus is he does not shed at all!

That is a seriously adorable dog! 🙂 I've never heard of a shipoo before. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I did watch it and Big Love was a lot more interesting than the Duggars.

@DangerousMinds

Bringing this over from the JB and Michelle thread, I've had Big Love on my to-watch list for awhile! Should get around to it finally when I have some free time. 

Bill Paxton's death is the one celebrity death that really bothered me--as a 90s kid, I actually thought all movies had Bill Paxton in them when I was little. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 7
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I definitely miss Bill Paxton. And Phillip Seymour Hoffman. And Alan Rickman. 😢😢😢

Yes, Rickman and Hoffman bothered me too! I was so upset after Paxton died that I wandered into work that day and my coworker asked me how I was, and I blurted out, "I feel terrible! Bill Paxton died!" And then she was mad at me for ruining her day too. 

My favorite Paxton role I didn't discover until after he had passed--his vampire in Near Dark

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes, Rickman and Hoffman bothered me too! I was so upset after Paxton died that I wandered into work that day and my coworker asked me how I was, and I blurted out, "I feel terrible! Bill Paxton died!" And then she was mad at me for ruining her day too. 

My favorite Paxton role I didn't discover until after he had passed--his vampire in Near Dark

Have you seen "Frailty?" 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

Have you seen "Frailty?" 

YES! It's so good! I also love Powers Booth--that was another celebrity death that got me--and he and Paxton are both so good in that movie. Not the world's biggest McConnaughey (?spelling?) fan, but he is too. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mousegirl said:

Love the name discussions above - I am obsessed with name origins, meanings, etc.  I'm a Barbara, born in 1951.  Mine was a fairly popular name for girls in that era, but it's pretty much gone now.  For a long time I couldn't understand why my dad wanted this name for me, there are no Barbaras in our family tree.  Then one day I looked through his old high school yearbook from 1939 and noted there were a number of Barbaras in his graduating class, almost all of them quite attractive.  My dad was very quiet and shy in HS and did not date, but I figured he must have had a secret crush on one of these girls and that's why I got the name.

I've never liked being Barbara (the name originates from the word barbarian, ugh) - and I don't like any of the associated nicknames, at least not for me.  Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a Barbie, Babs or Bebe.  I'm okay with my closest family and friends calling me Barb, but I'm not too fond of that either, to be honest

One of THE most popular names amongst my female peers was Deborah, or Debbie.  I've always thought that was a really cute name, and would like to see it revived. 

I was born in 1951 and was nearly a Barbara but my dad chose Andrea because “Andy is a cute nickname for a girl.” It was quite unusual for the time. When I was young I desperately wanted a more common name (like the rest of my siblings; seriously dad, wtf) but I like it as an adult . And of course there are Andreas everywhere now. 

3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I definitely miss Bill Paxton. And Phillip Seymour Hoffman. And Alan Rickman. 😢😢😢

Alan Rickman, my forever crush. It’s because of him I got on the internet big time. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, mousegirl said:

Love the name discussions above - I am obsessed with name origins, meanings, etc.  I'm a Barbara, born in 1951.  Mine was a fairly popular name for girls in that era, but it's pretty much gone now.  For a long time I couldn't understand why my dad wanted this name for me, there are no Barbaras in our family tree.  Then one day I looked through his old high school yearbook from 1939 and noted there were a number of Barbaras in his graduating class, almost all of them quite attractive.  My dad was very quiet and shy in HS and did not date, but I figured he must have had a secret crush on one of these girls and that's why I got the name.

I've never liked being Barbara (the name originates from the word barbarian, ugh) - and I don't like any of the associated nicknames, at least not for me.  Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a Barbie, Babs or Bebe.  I'm okay with my closest family and friends calling me Barb, but I'm not too fond of that either, to be honest

One of THE most popular names amongst my female peers was Deborah, or Debbie.  I've always thought that was a really cute name, and would like to see it revived. 

Meet my husband's sisters, mousegirl - born in the 50s of course - Barbara & Debbie, lol.  I have known a ton of Kathys as well. 

ETA - Perhaps Barbara was popular because of Barbara Stanwyck and Debbie from Debbie Reynolds, but I like your Dad/crush theory better. 

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Zella said:

I've had Big Love on my to-watch list for awhile! Should get around to it finally when I have some free time. 

I watched it and liked it. Of course looking at Bill Paxton is never hard on the eyes. I also liked him in the Grifters, which was filmed in my area. Every time I drive by Larry’s Tires I think of him. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I watched it and liked it. Of course looking at Bill Paxton is never hard on the eyes. I also liked him in the Grifters, which was filmed in my area. Every time I drive by Larry’s Tires I think of him. 

I've never seen Grifters!

He was in a little gem of a movie that is not on dvd called Pass the Ammo that was filmed here in Arkansas. It's about a band of robbers who hold up a crooked preacher's (Tim Curry) church. 😂

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Zella said:

@DangerousMinds

Bringing this over from the JB and Michelle thread, I've had Big Love on my to-watch list for awhile! Should get around to it finally when I have some free time. 

Bill Paxton's death is the one celebrity death that really bothered me--as a 90s kid, I actually thought all movies had Bill Paxton in them when I was little. 😂😂😂😂😂

OMG!  What a treat. I was a HUGE Big Love fan.  Watch from day one.  It's time well invested, imo.  Man, I loved that show. The cast is awesome! 

• Love 3

Big Love offers a lot.  Some of the most funny scenes EVER on tv as well as some that are sad, touching,  creepy and scary.  

There are some with rather Duggarish characteristics about them, granted these are fundamental Mormons, but, you can see the similarities.  Here is girl who could pass for a Duggar, singing, as her betrothed lies on his death bed....Yes, the senior man.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Zella said:

@DangerousMinds

I have the same heart defect as Bill Paxton but no symptoms and I told the cardiologist it will have to kill me but I'm not having the surgery.

• Love 2
Just now, lookeyloo said:

I have the same heart defect as Bill Paxton but no symptoms and I told the cardiologist it will have to kill me but I'm not having the surgery.

I don't blame you at all! 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, EVS said:

Thank you all for the support and good thoughts. The waiting is definitely the hardest part. Hopefully, I will get at least some results tomorrow before I leave the hospital.  

You have been in my thoughts and I hope you got good news today and are just too tired to update.  Blessings.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, wilsie said:

You have been in my thoughts and I hope you got good news today and are just too tired to update.  Blessings.

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the person who scheduled the appointment.   My biopsies were today (lymph nodes and thyroid) but I won’t get the results until next week. With Thanksgiving, I’m afraid I may not even get them until the following week. Fortunately, my son is coming home from college tomorrow for Thanksgiving break so that will make the wait go faster. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, EVS said:

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the person who scheduled the appointment.   My biopsies were today (lymph nodes and thyroid) but I won’t get the results until next week. With Thanksgiving, I’m afraid I may not even get them until the following week. Fortunately, my son is coming home from college tomorrow for Thanksgiving break so that will make the wait go faster. 

I'm glad your son will be with you.  I hope the time passes quickly and you can get your good results soon.   Thank you for letting us know.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, wilsie said:

I'm glad your son will be with you.  I hope the time passes quickly and you can get your good results soon.   Thank you for letting us know.  

Thank you, and thank you all again for the support. It has helped more than you know. 

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

@EVS I’m hoping for good results for you. It’s nice you will be with your son soon. Happy thanksgiving!

Thank you so much. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, EVS said:

My best wishes for the best news ever. I am so glad your son will be home for Thanksgiving. My prayers are with you.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, EVS said:

The waiting is so hard. Glad to know your son will be with you. It will surely help in a lot of ways. Hoping you can get distracted now and then and maybe have your version of a Thanksgiving Food coma!!  Sending positive vibes your way. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@wilsie, thanks for sharing that cute puppy photo. Sweet!

Aw I got credit for the puppy picture😊  I just shared the picture from @AUgirl.  It's her grandpuppy.  His name is Bo Barkley and he's a shipoo.  She says he's really sweet and doesn't shed.  I live with my grand dogs and cats and everybody sheds but I love them a lot.  How are you doing?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, EVS said:

Best of luck to you.  🙂  I hope you can enjoy spending time with your son and Thanksgiving in the meantime.

• Love 5

Oopsie. Sorry I got blinded by puppy cuteness and didn't credit @AUgirl for the photo. My little dog who's been gone for almost three weeks now, was a Shih Tzu. Cute and sweet and mellow and happy. I still miss him terribly but am not the basket case that I was the first few days after he was gone. Thanks for asking, @wilsie - and for giving credit for the photo. 😊

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

Oopsie. Sorry I got blinded by puppy cuteness and didn't credit @AUgirl for the photo. My little dog who's been gone for almost three weeks now, was a Shih Tzu. Cute and sweet and mellow and happy. I still miss him terribly but am not the basket case that I was the first few days after he was gone. Thanks for asking, @wilsie - and for giving credit for the photo. 😊

You are very welcome.  Bo Barkley certainly a cutie!  Loss is so hard and with a sweet little dog, they're just so much of a continual loving presence.  I hope more time will be a help.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

Best of luck to you.  🙂  I hope you can enjoy spending time with your son and Thanksgiving in the meantime.

Thank you. I will definitely enjoy having him home. I hope everyone here has a wonderful Thanksgiving however you are celebrating.  I will update whenever I get my results. 

• Love 14

I also have had quite an experience! I just got back from the hospital. This morning, I got to work, and felt really dizzy and lightheaded. The nurse took my blood pressure, and it was 133/112. Someone from work took me to the ER, and I received some testing and a bag of fluids. They said my body is just so exhausted from all I went through while sick, and the stress. I also was dehydrated. I've been doing such hard work day after day, while recovering from three illnesses, two of them rather serious. They weren't surprised I had a breakdown! I'm glad to be at home resting now, for the weekend. As Madea would say, "Hallelujer!"

• Love 24

First feel better soon to everyone who isn’t feeling well. Also prayers for your loved ones who need them. I haven’t been good about sending y’all personal wishes, but know that my heart is with you. 

Today I met some friends for lunch. The daughter (18) has lupus and has been in a wheelchair for some time now. We made this lunch date a week ago. Evidently the lassie worked real hard so she could walk into the restaurant. I was so happy and gobsmacked to see that. Her mother put her life on hold to care for this child. She never left her side at the hospital (for 5 months) unless her husband was there. They are so kind, grateful and they warmed my heart. I told her about this prayer thread. Nothing specific, but that I come here to see who I need to add to my prayer list and wish better for. They are adding you (as a group whole) to their prayers. 

• Love 19
On 11/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, Christina87 said:

I also have had quite an experience! I just got back from the hospital. This morning, I got to work, and felt really dizzy and lightheaded. The nurse took my blood pressure, and it was 133/112. Someone from work took me to the ER, and I received some testing and a bag of fluids. They said my body is just so exhausted from all I went through while sick, and the stress. I also was dehydrated. I've been doing such hard work day after day, while recovering from three illnesses, two of them rather serious. They weren't surprised I had a breakdown! I'm glad to be at home resting now, for the weekend. As Madea would say, "Hallelujer!"

I am glad you are home and ok. Feel better. 

• Love 5

My husband went to Puerto Rico this morning for a wedding, so it's just me and the dog here.

Why must my house decide tonight is a good time to make creepy sounds?😮 

PS I turned on music so I can't hear the noises😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

My husband went to Puerto Rico this morning for a wedding, so it's just me and the dog here.

Why must my house decide tonight is a good time to make creepy sounds?😮 

PS I turned on music so I can't hear the noises😁

Awww. My mom says she hears something in her room. I think it was paper over the vent but I’m investigating. 

• Love 6

@Christina87, I hope you are having a restful weekend that will help you to recover from those illnesses. 

Okay, this sounds silly, but I'm struggling this weekend. Maybe I'm coming down with a bug - but I've been on the verge of tears since yesterday morning and it doesn't take much to push me over. And in this state yesterday afternoon, I wound up parting ways with my hair stylist - who is good, and who has done my hair for 25 years! 

I know that in the scheme of things this isn't a big deal but still, it's sad. And I have to replace him. I tried to write a recap but it got too long. Short version: he screwed up and didn't write down my appointment and when I showed up for it yesterday he was all stressed and unpleasant and made me feel humiliated in front of the other people present. He did schedule me for an appointment in a couple of weeks. But I was so upset that I started crying as soon as I was out the salon door.

I called him later to see if we could clear the air but the call didn't go well. I ended it by saying well let's cancel that appointment and I'll find someone else to do my hair.

I'm still sad about it - and anxious about finding a new stylist. But on reflection, it's been awhile since I felt really welcomed when I came in for appointments with him. As a friend said yesterday, it probably was time to let him go. 

Thus endeth this weekend's episode of First World Problems, Jeeves edition. 

It's a pretty day. I hope to get out there and enjoy it. And restock the groceries. We've had snowstorms last week and we're supposed to get a doozy day after tomorrow. Better shake a leg and get all that taken care of.

Happy weekend, everyone!

• Love 16
43 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@Christina87, I hope you are having a restful weekend that will help you to recover from those illnesses. 

Okay, this sounds silly, but I'm struggling this weekend. Maybe I'm coming down with a bug - but I've been on the verge of tears since yesterday morning and it doesn't take much to push me over. And in this state yesterday afternoon, I wound up parting ways with my hair stylist - who is good, and who has done my hair for 25 years! 

I know that in the scheme of things this isn't a big deal but still, it's sad. And I have to replace him. I tried to write a recap but it got too long. Short version: he screwed up and didn't write down my appointment and when I showed up for it yesterday he was all stressed and unpleasant and made me feel humiliated in front of the other people present. He did schedule me for an appointment in a couple of weeks. But I was so upset that I started crying as soon as I was out the salon door.

I called him later to see if we could clear the air but the call didn't go well. I ended it by saying well let's cancel that appointment and I'll find someone else to do my hair.

I'm still sad about it - and anxious about finding a new stylist. But on reflection, it's been awhile since I felt really welcomed when I came in for appointments with him. As a friend said yesterday, it probably was time to let him go. 

It's a pretty day. I hope to get out there and enjoy it. And restock the groceries. We've had snowstorms last week and we're supposed to get a doozy day after tomorrow. Better shake a leg and get all that taken care of.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Change is hard especially after 25 years. I am sure you will find some who will cut your hair so that it reflects your beautiful self. Be gentle with yourself, your feelings are important.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@Christina87

Happy weekend, everyone!

@Jeeves, I think finding a new hairdresser is second hardest only to finding a new doctor. Change is stressful. You get used to the one you have and the way they do things. Hopefully you'll find one you like even better, and who is even more welcoming. 

Thanks for reminding me that it is a nice day outside (Chicago area here.) I'm going to force myself to go put up my outside Christmas lights.

I won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving, but I hate putting them up when it's so cold that the hair inside my nose freezes! 😂

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Happy weekend, everyone!

@Christina87 I hope you're feeling better very soon.  I hope this weekend helped and you can get even more rested with the holiday coming up.

@Jeeves You've just lost your sweet little companion very recently and some of the crying could be grief related.  Grief can just pop up when you really don't anticipate it.  And even though your hairdresser acted shamefully to you, it's still a loss and something you wouldn't have chosen.  Most of us have first world problems and realize what it is but it still can bring sadness and disappointment.  I hope you enjoy this weekend and get everything you need at the grocery store.  

• Love 13

I hate this time of year. It is like the shorter days and the holidays make everything worse somehow. 

I am going back to middle of nowhere for Christmas. I have to tell one of my friends I'm bowing out of her wedding party and potentially her wedding. Content under spoiler, may be triggering. 

Spoiler

Her fiance is very close friends with a couple. The husband was in his late 20s when he started grooming and having sex with one of my high school classmates. I'm actually disgusted. I had a feeling that her fiance was a tool but this pretty much seals it. My friend said she didn't know anything about their family, which is possible since she didn't grow up in our town, but her fiance would absolutely know. 

I haven't told her. I don't know if there is a point.  

This is not going to be pleasant. But what can you do?

I talked to my boyfriend and he isn't willing to go anymore. We thankfully haven't booked anything since I will be starting a new job and time off isn't guaranteed yet. 

I'm expecting pretty big fall out from this but I'm starting to have to make choices about the people I associate with. I can't justify some of the behavior "because we have a long history" or "we've known each other since we were tots". It sucks. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

@Jeeves, I think finding a new hairdresser is second hardest only to finding a new doctor. Change is stressful. You get used to the one you have and the way they do things. Hopefully you'll find one you like even better, and who is even more welcoming. 

Thanks for reminding me that it is a nice day outside (Chicago area here.) I'm going to force myself to go put up my outside Christmas lights.

I won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving, but I hate putting them up when it's so cold that the hair inside my nose freezes! 😂

I had to watch my sister yesterday so I put out the Xmas lights (didn’t plug them in)- today would’ve been the perfect day! But I’m doing some Christmas shopping and that’s fun. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

My uncle didn’t invite me to thanksgiving. Third year in a row alone for the holidays. 

I am invisible/repel people.

That's incredibly hurtful. Have you mentioned it to anyone else in the family? I, too, have asshole family members who have treated me badly so I can understand your pain. Why not invite some friends over or a family member you like to celebrate with?

• Love 6