Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I lost my social security card, so I'm skipping the DMV and using my passport. I have no clue where Mr. Sumi's social security is, either. Thankfully, he is a major homebody and hates traveling.

I lost mine too. I got a new one with no issues. Just needed my ID and the SS number.

• Love 3

I’m staying home too. I invited some people to go somewhere. They declined. So I went to the grocery store and going home and eat and sleep.

Should have not gone to the grocery store. It was mayhem. Should have ordered pizza or Chinese!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Happy New Year to all!

It's an easy day here. We took a walk to the train station, took the train up the Peninsula to have a nice lunch and another walk, caught the train back, and had another walk back home. Nearly five miles of walking, a yummy lunch with margaritas, and no driving. Now it's a quiet evening in with the kitties and all the X-mas lights lit.

• Love 12

Well it was going to be a small quiet celebration with sick son and his husband and Mr lookeyloo. Now son is in a lot of pain and the remedies aren’t working and he is trying not to go to the hospital. Tomorrow is my birthday. 
Hoping for health and no commotion for everyone. 

• Love 7

Happy birthday, @CherryMalotte!!

@SunnyBeBe, I don't scan a lot of small receipts so I don't have a magic workflow for those. My scanner works with an app on my Mac. The scanner is fast as to scanning the paper (does both sides at once), then in a few seconds the app pops up a window for me to click to save the file. The app has assigned a name to the pdf file, and there's a default destination folder for them. But I spend a few seconds choosing the destination folder for each file and naming it myself, before I click "save."

That way, I know where a pdf file is when I need to look for it later on. 

@lookeyloo, I'm sorry that your son is in pain. I don't talk about prayers easily but please know that you and yours have been in mine. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well it was going to be a small quiet celebration with sick son and his husband and Mr lookeyloo. Now son is in a lot of pain and the remedies aren’t working and he is trying not to go to the hospital. Tomorrow is my birthday. 

I hope you have a quiet evening in and that you're able to have a peaceful, laid back birthday tomorrow. Your son and the whole family is in my prayers. 

Edited by realityfan26
  • Love 13
20 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Birthday blessings, peace and healing.  Prayers always.  I wish I could do more.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

FYI - in cali you need an appt to get the new 'real id' drivers license and they require the following: original or certified copy of birth cert, passport if you have it, your marriage cert, your divorce decree if you had a divorce, (in general every time you changed your name you have to have a paper trail to prove it),  legal proof of residence (utility  bill, voter reg or similar), old drivers license......and if you dont do this, you cant fly from cali to texas on domestic airlines - you need a passport to fly from cali to any other state in the country!

Same thing in Maryland. Mine is due end of next month. I just had my eyes examined, & eye dr filled out form so I don't need to do vision test.  We can make appointments but they aren't too far out (or weren't last time I checked.)  I don't have a passport& luckily after 35 years of marriage& 3 moves, I remembered where my marriage license was. I do have my SS card & about 10 pieces of various types of mail with my address on it so I think I'm good to go.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's my understanding that you have until October 2020 for real ID. I have to get it.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/can-you-fly-without-a-real-id-deadline-goes-into-effect-in-1-year-heres-what-you-need-to-know

I'm not sure how long it's been since Maryland started doing the new licenses. The MVA mails the renewal notice 6 months prior to expiration date which is usually your birthday to give people enough time to gather & request things, like the certified birth certificate.  I've also been getting reminder emails & snail mail from them to get it done so I won't forget.  Hoping it won't be snowing on the day I choose to go.  I don't do snow with my arthritis.

I'm not sure how they are catching everyone up to have new licenses & IDs  by Oct 2020.  

BTW, I had a good appointment with my rheumatologist today re: my pain & other things.  He's adjusted my meds which should help greatly.  

🥂🎊Happy New Year everyone! 🍾🎉

My life is so much better with all of my Primetimer cyber friends in it & wishing you all the best for 2020. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

I'm having a quiet birthday NYE here at home, with pizza later and something off of Netflix.  The whole house has been ill on and off the last three weeks, husband with the never ending cough and sinus crap, daughter has sinus and ear infection, and I'm on the edge of both.  Ahhh the family that gets sick together....

May you all have a lovely and peaceful 2020.  One can try anyway!

I just watched The Jane Austin Book Club off of Netflix and I enjoyed it.  

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I'm not sure how long it's been since Maryland started doing the new licenses. The MVA mails the renewal notice 6 months prior to expiration date which is usually your birthday to give people enough time to gather & request things, like the certified birth certificate.  I've also been getting reminder emails & snail mail from them to get it done so I won't forget.  Hoping it won't be snowing on the day I choose to go.  I don't do snow with my arthritis.

I'm not sure how they are catching everyone up to have new licenses & IDs  by Oct 2020.  

While passed earlier, the final Federal Goverment Real ID act was passed in 2014.  It is not a state mandate. But a Fed thing.   Looking at my DL, I've had the star since 8/15.  I don't even remember doing this. Maybe the need to get the updated DL was more publicized at time in my local media??!??

However, in addition,  get a passport.  The younger you are the better!  It is easier to pull together all the paperwork.  And is invaluable for all ID purposes.

• Useful 3
34 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

However, in addition,  get a passport.  The younger you are the better!  It is easier to pull together all the paperwork.  And is invaluable for all ID purposes.

Yes I’ve had one since I was 9, I was so happy to get my first adult one at 16 so I wouldn’t have to keep going for a new photo every five years. All my friends make sure their kids have passports before their first birthday. Just easier to prove citizenship that way. Even an expired one is evidence of citizenship for the USA. 

Mom and I got our real ids this fall- it was easy. My sister is the last one in the family!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

While passed earlier, the final Federal Goverment Real ID act was passed in 2014.  It is not a state mandate. But a Fed thing.   Looking at my DL, I've had the star since 8/15.  I don't even remember doing this. Maybe the need to get the updated DL was more publicized at time in my local media??!??

I know ^^.  My niece said she only has to bring her passport with her next time she renews her Maryland license. Not sure when that is. I guess I am just lucky enough for my license to need renewing & have to  bring the contents  of my desk along to get the new type : )

Everyone is so right about getting a passport. My BIL travels to Canada frequently for work.  It dawned on my sister a while  back she better get a passport  too in case something happened to him & she needed to fly to Canada.  

ETA:  I need to get a passport too.  My son went to Italy for 6 weeks in college. It was advised that at least one parent or guardian have a passport as well in case something happened there would be no problems in getting there. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Same thing in Maryland. Mine is due end of next month. I just had my eyes examined, & eye dr filled out form so I don't need to do vision test.  We can make appointments but they aren't too far out (or weren't last time I checked.)  I don't have a passport& luckily after 35 years of marriage& 3 moves, I remembered where my marriage license was. I do have my SS card & about 10 pieces of various types of mail with my address on it so I think I'm good to go.  

BTW, I had a good appointment with my rheumatologist today re: my pain & other things.  He's adjusted my meds which should help greatly.  

🥂🎊Happy New Year everyone! 🍾🎉

My life is so much better with all of my Primetimer cyber friends in it & wishing you all the best for 2020. 

I had to get the real id in Maryland recently. It was nerve wracking to gather all the stuff but went very smoothly once at the mva. Glad it’s done!  

• Love 3

Barb and I live fairly close to one another in two different counties, and I can safely say, getting the Real ID was a fairly easy process for Maryland.  My DL was set to expire this October, and I was notified back in April that I would need to gather my documents, which were clearly explained.  I made my appointment online for the following week, and other than sticking us in field trailers (as opposed to the normal location), it was fairly quick and painless.  I don't have a passport, so I had my birth certificate, SS card, marriage license (they are very stern in saying it needs to be the one filed with the county and not anything you get from the church).  I also grabbed a handful of bills/statements that had my name/address on it, and she ended up using the letter that the MVA sent me as one of my documents.  The first lady check documents, and while she glanced at the marriage license, she handed it right back to me and said it wasn't needed.  She then handed me everything else so it could be scanned.  I paid my $48 (valid for 8 years), did the vision test, had my picture redone, and she then let me know I should receive the Real ID in 7-10 business days.  Ours are raised in certain areas, along with having 3 pictures, and they don't have the ability to print them at the MVA anymore.  Mr. Six's DL doesn't expire until 2021 or 2022, and from what we were told, you need to wait until that time.  You can go in anytime after you get that first notice.  If I remember correctly, the whole process took less than 30 minutes.  I went in on a Monday, and I my ID in my mailbox that same Friday.  Sorry for the novel 😉

I hope you all have a wonderful, safe, prosperous, and happy new year.  Here's to more ups than downs, more love than hate, and maybe a smidgen less reproducing Duggars.

• Love 4

Just a reminder folks, you need a marriage certificate not a copy of your license if one is required. Some states have the certificate attached to the license, but many do not.  The license is state permission to marry.  The certificate is the proof that it occurred.  The same is true applying for social security and other government benefits.

I can't tell you how many people I sent to get the proper document when I was working for social security.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Absolom said:

Just a reminder folks, you need a marriage certificate not a copy of your license if one is required. Some states have the certificate attached to the license, but many do not.  The license is state permission to marry.  The certificate is the proof that it occurred.  The same is true applying for social security and other government benefits.

I can't tell you how many people I sent to get the proper document when I was working for social security.

Thanks  for the explanation.  I tend to use marriage license & certificate interchangeably. I just went & double checked that mine is the certificate,  which it is, signed by the minister & had a seal on it.  Luckily Maryland DMV provided copies of the documents they need so that was a big help.

Similar with the birth certificate.  They want the certificate with a stamp/seal on it not the form that comes from the hospital signed by the doctor stating it was a live birth.  Luckily I got my updated birth certificate when I got  my son his when he started school. (But I'm bringing both just in case, along with the extra pieces of mail showing residency, lol.)

On a different note, why is it some years you end up with 5 calendars & some years with just 1 or none?  This is my off year. I'm older & still need the visual of my main one hanging in the kitchen. I keep a smaller one mainly for my Drs. appointments.  I usually get 2 nice ones from charities but this year just got the smaller one for my appts.  Oh well, I'll either get one on sale or from my MIL's church.

Well it's a sunny day here in Maryland.  A nice way to start the year.  Once again, Happy New Year.

@lookeyloo Happy Birthday.  May it be a restful calm one. Sending healing prayers for your son. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6

I have heard what you do the first day of the New Year tells you how the year will go. So I have cleaned my pantry,dusted and am watched a marathon showing of " The Librarian" does that mean this year will be productive, clean and humorous?

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have heard what you do the first day of the New Year tells you how the year will go. So I have cleaned my pantry,dusted and am watched a marathon showing of " The Librarian" does that mean this year will be productive, clean and humorous?

Well, I went to the gym and now I'm about to take a nap.  Looks like 2020 will be a lot like 2019 for me, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I've been on a Season 2 marathon of Big Little Lies. Awesome. Going to that thread soon. 

So, if u have your current passport, that's all you'll need to get Real id?  Mine has been expired for years. I may go ahead and get it though. I don't fly often, but u never know. I like to be spontaneous. Lol

I'm having traditional new year's dinner with family then homemade peppermint shakes! My own concoction and imitation of starbuck's.  Far less calories.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Absolutely it does!

I've just bagged up at least 30 shirts/jackets/tops from my closet (two big plastic trash bags full), which will be donated to a charity shop today or tomorrow. I hope that means my year will include a less crowded closet.

• Love 8

Nice poem. My goal is to make a difference by helping others this year. I need to move more and get my zest back. Every year I try to pick something like a word, idea or project. Last year was endurance...eye issues..so, as long as they stay stable...I'm going to work on Zest and helping others.

Does anyone have any tips on matresses? I want a hybrid that will work on an adjustible bed. Lucid has a nice looking hybrid 12 inch.  Good prices but no where to go sample them.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Nice poem. My goal is to make a difference by helping others this year. I need to move more and get my zest back. Every year I try to pick something like a word, idea or project. Last year was endurance...eye issues..so, as long as they stay stable...I'm going to work on Zest and helping others.

Does anyone have any tips on matresses? I want a hybrid that will work on an adjustible bed. Lucid has a nice looking hybrid 12 inch.  Good prices but no where to go sample them.

I bought a sleep number mattress years ago. It was $600.00 and the store had lay- a -way. I wish I had an adjustable frame but they cost to much. It was the best $600.00 I have spent.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I hope not.  I'm sick with a cold and had to drive home today.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I bought a sleep number mattress years ago. It was $600.00 and the store had lay- a -way. I wish I had an adjustable frame but they cost to much. It was the best $600.00 I have spent.

I've heard that about sleep number. I don't think they are in my budget right now....trip coming up, house in renovations, etc.  But, the lucid hybrid look good...there is a demonstration video on you tube by a couple, not by the company...the adjustible bed looks awesome and is very reasonsble.

• Love 1

We also have a Sleep Number.  They will offer interest-free financing often, and this time of the year is great for sales.  Personally, I would never purchase a bed site-unseen, save for the headboard/foot board.  There's just too many variables, and you could end up with a concrete slab or a pile of goo.  

Mr. Six has been on vacation since last Wednesday, and he doesn't go back until next Monday.  It's been, um, odd with him here.  The guy has a work ethic just like no other, and he just can't relax when taking time off.  He gets 5 weeks of paid vacation a year, and he can only carry 3 over, so he was kinda forced into it this year.  We have been enjoying each other's company and going on small outings here and there.  He was able to get new glasses, and we got a new dishwasher, which is being delivered Friday.  We host Christmas for his parents and my mom, so it was nice to catch up with them.  And now, it's just nice to catch up on a whole lot of nothing!

• Love 13
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

we learned too the hard way that the frame at sleep number was too expensive. i lived with the bed without the pretty frame for two years. it looked horrible. BUT i went to Bobs discount furniture (think the little puppet guy) and bought a king size frame, had it put together in a rectangle with no stabilizer blocks in the middle. it was literally built around my bed and fits perfectly. it was very affordable (think like $500).

6 minutes ago, zoomama said:

we learned too the hard way that the frame at sleep number was too expensive. i lived with the bed without the pretty frame for two years. it looked horrible. BUT i went to Bobs discount furniture (think the little puppet guy) and bought a king size frame, had it put together in a rectangle with no stabilizer blocks in the middle. it was literally built around my bed and fits perfectly. it was very affordable (think like $500).

I just put the mattress on my old box spring base.

• Love 1

I have a sleep number bed and an adjustable base.  I also have an antique bed from the 1860's.  I removed the wood side rails from the bed so I just had the headboard and footboard.  I bought a regular metal bed frame and attached the headboard and footboard.  Then I just placed the adjustable frame inside the metal frame (the legs fit inside just fine).  So now I have the head board and footboard attached to the metal bed frame and not the mattress.  I've used it in this formation for years, and it works perfectly and looks beautiful.  FYI, you do NOT have to have the Sleep Number brand adjustable frame.  The Sleep Number mattress will work on any brand frame.  I've been told that 90% of the adjustable frames, including Sleep Number, are made by the same manufacturer--Leggett and Platt.  You can but the adjustable frame at any mattress store that is having a sale, or even on line.  Leggett and Platt make several adjustable frames under their own name. Be sure it is a "wall hugger", which means that you are sitting close to the headboard when the head of the bed is up.  Otherwise you will be sitting too far from the wall and side table.  Almost all of them are the wall hugger type now, I believe.

The Sleep Number mattress works well on it's own non-adjustable base, also.

Sleep Number is the only brand of mattress I personally would consider.  They have a 25 year warranty, and parts are available in case you need a new pump in several years.  They do have good financing, and good sales.  The other thing I like about them is that they are very loyal to buyers.  As well as  sale prices for "new customers", they run special pricing and sales for their "owners" (you are referred to as "an owner" once you buy a mattress).

No, I do not work for Sleep Number, but I really, really do like my bed!

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6

@SunnyBeBe I have a hybrid mattress I bought this summer. Best purchase we have made! In fact, we recently stayed in a hotel, and my husband and I both woke up sore and missed our mattress. We sleep on our sides and both have back problems, and now I don’t wake up with painful hips, he doesn’t wake up with a sore shoulder, and both of our backs love it. The brand name is Mlily. I will say I never get hot at night, and while the hybrid isn’t supposed to make you hot, I still woke up a few nights in the beginning hot. However, we also bought a foreclosure, and the master bedroom is in a weird upstairs room, so there was also an hvac issue at play. We put in a window unit for the time being, and that fixed the hot nights, so I may have been hot no matter what the mattress was (purchased the new bed to go with our new home). No problems since then! I got a weighted blanket for Christmas, and now I never want to leave my bed!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Our decorations are still up, and won't come down for at least another week. That's one sort of procrastination that I don't mind at all!

As far as resolutions, I've decided I really need to get back into painting, so I'm going to try to devote a couple of hours a day, if possible...

Yesterday I made a start on one of the sunsets I took a photo of a couple of weeks ago...It's pretty rough, but rather intentionally so, as I'd really like to paint a little more loosely than I tend to. Only used the small photo on my phone for reference so I didn't have the temptation to get too much into detail. There are going to be some trees in there as well, but I got started later than I meant to, and lost the light in my studio after about 40 minutes of work. So here's what that 40 minutes got me...

80787161_10157702095477778_8461721992783986688_o (2).jpg

Oh my....that's lovely!  I really like it. 

Happy Birthday to all you January babies!  We sometimes get overlooked, since it's on the heels of the holidays. 

Thanks to you all for the mattress tips.  There is so much to consider and I've been looking around for a while. This purchase if actually for a guest room, but, I want it comfy.  So, I'm not going to devote as much to it as I would for my main bed, however, if it's good, I will do that later. 

• Love 5