Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Our decorations are still up, and won't come down for at least another week. That's one sort of procrastination that I don't mind at all!

As far as resolutions, I've decided I really need to get back into painting, so I'm going to try to devote a couple of hours a day, if possible...

Yesterday I made a start on one of the sunsets I took a photo of a couple of weeks ago...It's pretty rough, but rather intentionally so, as I'd really like to paint a little more loosely than I tend to. Only used the small photo on my phone for reference so I didn't have the temptation to get too much into detail. There are going to be some trees in there as well, but I got started later than I meant to, and lost the light in my studio after about 40 minutes of work. So here's what that 40 minutes got me...

80787161_10157702095477778_8461721992783986688_o (2).jpg

Wow. That is something  esp done in the short time frame. Like I've mentioned before, my late father enjoyed painting in his retirement.   He did mainly landscapes & sunsets & your painting style is very similar to his.  Like you, he copied a lot of his work from magazine & other pictures (this was the pre computer age.) One of the favorite ones he did for us was of the famous Maine lighthouse that one of the Bates gals got engaged at. He painted it mainly from a Christmas card.  He changed the angle & it turned out great.  

My parents had good friends and the man liked to paint also.  My mom laughed that when they visited the men would sit, stare, and critique their works in one room & the ladies would talk away in another.  In fact the man volunteered his time to teach low risk prisoners how to paint. 

Thanks for sharing. As you can tell, it brought back very fond memories of my dad.  Please show us the finished picture when you are done.  My dad would also keep adding things to his paintings when we thought it was done.  We got used to hearing things like "it needs a smaller tree here" or "I think there needs to be more color in this corner."  

Have you always painted? My dad started with an adult watercolor paint by number type of kit he found in a Williamsburg gift shop in the late 70's.  He was hooked from then on. 

Changing subjects, I  worked on a jigsaw puzzle yesterday so I guess that means I'll have a puzzling new year.    I end up getting weird things that do puzzle the doctors from my wacky immune system so "puzzling" does fit for my health. 

I watched the first episode of the new season of  "To Catch A Smuggler" last night.  It was fascinating. So much so I watched it twice cuz I missed bits & pieces on the first go round.  It was very informative learning how the custom agents & other agencies work at the airports including the mainly drug sniffing dogs.  It's also unbelievable how people try to bring drugs & other contraband into the US.  Hats off to our Custom agents & the rest of the Homeland Security folks (as well as our local law enforcement) to keep us safe. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 7

@Jynnan tonnix, thanks for sharing, and I 'd also like to see the finished picture.

@Barb23, thanks for the heads up about To Catch A Smuggler. I was home zoning out on the sofa a few months ago, and watched several [repeat] episodes of TCAS set in I think Madrid - or maybe Lisbon. It was indeed interesting. That airport, they said, was kind of a gateway for drug smuggling between South America and Europe. I'm obviously just an ordinary person who knows little about drug smuggling, and I was surprised to see some of the people who were busted with drugs. I was stunned that people would take such huge risks of death by swallowing balloons full of hard drugs before boarding a long international flight. Wowzer.

Now I'll look for the new season, of the US edition.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

I seem to have come down with the neighborhood stomach bug, so my planned first day back at work today was a no go. But I guess it will jump start my weight loss plans for the new year, lol. 

9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@Jynnan tonnix, what a beautiful sunset. A great way to start a new year.

Attached is the prettiest one I have ever seen in person.

F2E7AD15-2C79-4A5D-8117-5CB4A035F117.jpeg

Hope you feel better, @emma675!

Beautiful sunset! I feel as though I'm so spoiled here, with perfect sunrise views right outside my bedroom window, and perfect sunsets across the street from our front door. I have more sunrise and sunset pics on my phone than anything else. Here's the sunrise from yesterday.

82337242_10157707009357778_5746682459844509696_o.jpg

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Where are these lovely sunsets and sunrises taking place? 

A rural bit of Connecticut, close to the top of a hill with farmland on the other sided of the street.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7

I'm contemplating going to the furthermost southern part of the US soon on my trip to FL.  I'll be staying in the keys and read that it's down from Key West. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Please tell me why I’m intrigued by this podcast about Jeffrey Dahmer?? There are three parts! I enjoy a good True Crime show or podcast on occasion (I usually listen to True Crime Obsessed, they are very campy) but this is something else man. 

Here’s Part 1: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dark-side-of/id1461918400?i=1000460637879

I don't do podcasts--I cant pay attention to them or audiobooks, no matter how much i try--but I do love a good true crime show or book! I bet that Dahmer one is interesting, though gruesome. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't do podcasts--I cant pay attention to them or audiobooks, no matter how much i try--but I do love a good true crime show or book! I bet that Dahmer one is interesting, though gruesome. 

I like to listen at work or on the train. 

This is some crazy stuff man. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t do podcasts either. I fall asleep.

Haha! I use podcasts to fall asleep! 

Strangely enough. though, while I find it difficult to concentrate on them "as is", and while I'm generally horrible at multitasking, I do love to listen to podcasts and play solitaire at the same time. I suppose I might be able to listen to them while I clean the house or something, but that sounds a bit too constructive! LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I just returned from buying a piece of hard shell luggage for my trip.  I'm bummed because, I think I overpaid, though, it was on sale.  If I had ordered online, I'd have saved $20.00:(   But, I was afraid to wait on delivery.  Oh well..... 

It's raining like crazy here. I made a pot of this awesome homemade chicken vegetable soup, (cabbage, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, carrots, onion, etc.).  I think I'll stay in tonight and watch fire and tv. lol 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just returned from buying a piece of hard shell luggage for my trip.  I'm bummed because, I think I overpaid, though, it was on sale.  If I had ordered online, I'd have saved $20.00:(   But, I was afraid to wait on delivery.  Oh well..... 

It's raining like crazy here. I made a pot of this awesome homemade chicken vegetable soup, (cabbage, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, carrots, onion, etc.).  I think I'll stay in tonight and watch fire and tv. lol 

You’re going to Florida right? 

This time of year I eagerly await numbers for the year so I can decide on trips and toys 😁

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Haha! I use podcasts to fall asleep! 

Strangely enough. though, while I find it difficult to concentrate on them "as is", and while I'm generally horrible at multitasking, I do love to listen to podcasts and play solitaire at the same time. I suppose I might be able to listen to them while I clean the house or something, but that sounds a bit too constructive! LOL

I use podcasts to fall asleep too, Jynnan Tonnix! And while I'm working out, often the same one I fell asleep to the night before! There are so many good podcasts out there.  There are even some meant to help you fall asleep. 

Christmas is all put away here and the house looks dark, just as I expected. And less cluttered!  I really enjoy having all the lights around and it takes some getting used to when they are gone.  But if they were always around, I guess they wouldn't be special. 

I joined a book club and the first book I read was fantastic, but I had to miss the meeting. This one is just tedious to me. It's the Woman Warrior and it got great reviews when it came out in the 70s. It's just not my cup of tea. Fortunately, it's not very long. I received a book journal for Christmas and the first one of the year will not get glowing reviews from me, lol.  I hope the next one is better!  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I joined a book club and the first book I read was fantastic, but I had to miss the meeting. This one is just tedious to me. It's the Woman Warrior and it got great reviews when it came out in the 70s. It's just not my cup of tea. Fortunately, it's not very long. I received a book journal for Christmas and the first one of the year will not get glowing reviews from me, lol.  I hope the next one is better!  

The first book I tried to read this year, I lasted all of 3 chapters before bailing. So far, my second one is better, but I hated to start my reading year that poorly. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I use podcasts to fall asleep too, Jynnan Tonnix! And while I'm working out, often the same one I fell asleep to the night before! There are so many good podcasts out there.  There are even some meant to help you fall asleep. 

Christmas is all put away here and the house looks dark, just as I expected. And less cluttered!  I really enjoy having all the lights around and it takes some getting used to when they are gone.  But if they were always around, I guess they wouldn't be special. 

I never find the "relaxation" ones helpful...I think I get performance anxiety when they start telling me to let every part of my body relax. Invariably, my restless legs start to kick into overdrive. I do much better not trying to fall asleep on purpose. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

The first book I tried to read this year, I lasted all of 3 chapters before bailing. So far, my second one is better, but I hated to start my reading year that poorly. 

Ouch. I'm sorry. I had a run of books like that a few weeks ago. Then I got lucky and had two really good books in a row. One I read on NY Eve to close out 2019, I suppose, and the second one I read on the 1st, to ring in 2020.

The closer for 2019: Marcel's Letters, by Carolyn Porter. 

The strong opener for 2020: Witness to Nuremberg, by Richard W. Sonnenfeldt. The guy had an amazing life, and being chief interpreter for the American prosecutors at the Nuremberg trials (at age 23) was just a part of it!

For some reason, lately I'm very impatient with fiction and am bailing out early on so many novels. I'm finding nonfiction to be more satisfying reads. I used to gulp down crime fiction especially - but now I'm finding most of it just not worth my time. Hmm. . . 

Edited by Jeeves
It's two, not to; and Porter, not Port. yikes.
  • Love 4
Just now, Jeeves said:

Ouch. I'm sorry. I had a run of books like that a few weeks ago. Then I got lucky and had to really good books in a row. One on NY Eve to close out 2019, I suppose, and the second one to ring in 2020.

The closer for 2019: Marcel's Letters, by Carolyn Port. 

The strong opener for 2020: Witness to Nuremberg, by Richard W. Sonnenfeldt. The guy had an amazing life, and being chief interpreter for the American prosecutors at the Nuremberg trials (at age 23) was just a part of it!

For some reason, lately I'm very impatient with fiction and am bailing out early on so many novels. I'm finding nonfiction to be more satisfying reads. I used to gulp down crime fiction especially - but now I'm finding most of it just not worth my time. Hmm. . . 

Oh that Sonnenfeldt book sounds right up my alley! I read more nonfiction now than I used to. The book I bailed on was a novel--Kristin Hannah's The Great Alone. I'm reading a Nathaniel Philbrick book now (his Little Bighorn one), and I want to read some of his other books now, just based on the other couple of chapters I've read. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I never find the "relaxation" ones helpful...I think I get performance anxiety when they start telling me to let every part of my body relax. Invariably, my restless legs start to kick into overdrive. I do much better not trying to fall asleep on purpose. 

OMG, I know what you mean! Sometimes guided relaxation exercises work for me, but all too often I get that performance anxiety (LOVE the phrase for it!) instead. 

And, I also fail at going to sleep on purpose. Wish I could!

• Love 2
On 1/3/2020 at 2:51 PM, BetyBee said:

I know exactly what you mean. I love Christmas and decorate like a madwoman. This year, I decorated early because we had a series of rainy weekends and I did not want a wet tree. I am ready to have the decorations put away but I will still miss them when they are gone. Sunday, the tree comes down and I will take down the other things over the next few days.

Podcasts bug me because I read a lot faster than anyone can talk so it feels like wasting time. I always want to find transcripts of ones that interest me.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm contemplating going to the furthermost southern part of the US soon on my trip to FL.  I'll be staying in the keys and read that it's down from Key West. 

There is a buoy on the beach on Key West on what is said to be the southernmost point in the US.  Lots of people pose next to it. As you can see, it is 90 miles to Cuba from there.  In contrast, Miami is about 160 miles away.

Southernmost_Point.jpg

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I know exactly what you mean. I love Christmas and decorate like a madwoman. This year, I decorated early because we had a series of rainy weekends and I did not want a wet tree. I am ready to have the decorations put away but I will still miss them when they are gone. Sunday, the tree comes down and I will take down the other things over the next few days.

Podcasts but me because I read a lot faster than anyone can talk so it feels like wasting time. I always want to find transcripts of ones that interest me.

My nephew told me about listening to podcasts at 1.5 speed. Depending on the subject & speaker, it can work out nice. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I am a voracious podcast consumer. I love them! Happier with Gretchen Rubin is one of my top favorites. I used to listen to a lot of true crime, but I have backed away from that in recent years. I still listen to Crime Writers On every week to hear their reviews. Bear Brook was an excellent true crime podcast.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I am a voracious podcast consumer. I love them! Happier with Gretchen Rubin is one of my top favorites. I used to listen to a lot of true crime, but I have backed away from that in recent years. I still listen to Crime Writers On every week to hear their reviews. Bear Brook was an excellent true crime podcast.

I love podcasts too! History (women and minority), Financial, POP Culture (Disney films mostly), a tiny bit of True Crime, that Jeffrey Dahmer one was too much. 

• Love 6

I listen to a lot of podcasts as well! Lots of NPR (Up First and the Politics podcasts). I also love Science Rules with Bill Nye, Office Ladies (the actresses who played Pam and Angela rewatch the series), and then some interview ones depending on if I like the guest (Armchair Expert, Conan needs a Friend, etc). Oo and David Tennant Does a Podcast, but I adore him and most of the people he has as guests so I'm probably biased. 

I've listened to a few story/radio drama type ones, but haven't found any ongoing that capture my attention. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I remember one year after Christmas when I was in grade school. It was just my mom & I sitting in our dark living room looking at the lit Christmas tree.  I thought the Christmas tree was so beautiful & begged my mom to leave it up all year.  She told me the same thing that you said, it wouldn't be special if the tree was around all the time.  I feel the same about vacations. 

I think part of my despair was also knowing I had to go back to school once Christmas was over.

I've enjoyed  the posts about podcasts,  reading & books.  I've been on a jigsaw puzzle binge lately so my reading has been put aside for awhile.   

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 8

Christmas is all put away here and the house looks dark, just as I expected. And less cluttered!  I really enjoy having all the lights around and it takes some getting used to when they are gone.  But if they were always around, I guess they wouldn't be special. 

BetyBee, I'm quoting you above!

I really hate clutter! Years ago, I could hardly wait to take down my Christmas decorations so my life could return to uncluttered spaces. It dawned on me that it didn't need to get all cluttered looking and here is what I have been doing for many years.

I keep Christmas decorations in two large green Rubbermaid tubs that I can store in that closet space  under my steps.

When setting out my decorations, I put what is already out on my mantle, and entry table away into the Christmas tubs. And only Christmas stuff is out for a month, not both regular things plus Christmas things.

Since I have pared down Christmas decorations to the things I truely love, it is still uncluttered!

Today, I'm taking it all down and as I put it away, the normal things will come back out.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 7

Guess what, guys?! I have baby birds! My bird Snowy made a nest in the poker table, and my bird Sunny laid one in a nesting box! Crazy! The first chick hatched today. I am so excited!!! I have no idea what I’ll do if they all hatch, but I can’t believe I have this chick! Nature is amazing. It’s so cool to watch all this. 

I hope everyone had a good Christmas! I had a nice time relaxing with my family, and got a lot of exercise, which was awesome. It’s soooo nice here on winter afternoons! It’s usually in the low fifties, and is especially nice when it’s sunny. I also went to a really fun New Years roaring twenties party! I’m dreading going back to work on Monday, because it just seems so exhausting to even think about. I’m sure I’ll get in a routine though, and it will be fine. 

@galaxychaser sorry to hear you’re sick. I’m STILL coughing from my September bronchitis. OHHH! And what a new year I’ve had so far:

january 1–good day, but got a migraine on the left side of my head that evening. 
January 2– woke up with a migraine on the right side of my head, and it sucked. I went to the chiropractor, which helped. 
january 3–woke up with lingering neck pain. I had to go get blood drawn, and I PASSED OUT!!! It was a horrible experience! They had to draw a lot...they said about the same as you do when you donate blood...but I was still recovering from a migraine, and fasting. I don’t know if most people feel panicky when they are in that state, but I felt just like I do when I have a panic attack while I was coming back to. Maybe it was a panic attack? It was hard to breathe or see, and was awful! I hate needles, and usually feel kind of queasy during these things, but that is psychological. This was 100% physical! I was fine one second, and everything went white the next one. after that, I slept allllll afternoon, and woke up with the right side of my neck still hurting. I felt like I went in to get blood drawn at a disadvantage from the beginning. 
January 4–pretty good day! Fingers crossed. 

I have a good feeling about this year, but it has NOT started off well! LOL! Passing out was absolutely no fun. It can only get better, right?

Birdies. You can see the chick with Snowy!!!

0EF14339-983B-4037-93E1-37FB5AC2413C.jpeg

140DE017-FFF9-46D6-B815-DDABCE9CDDC3.jpeg

• Love 20
17 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Guess what, guys?! I have baby birds! My bird Snowy made a nest in the poker table, and my bird Sunny laid one in a nesting box! Crazy! The first chick hatched today. I am so excited!!! I have no idea what I’ll do if they all hatch, but I can’t believe I have this chick! Nature is amazing. It’s so cool to watch all this. 

I hope everyone had a good Christmas! I had a nice time relaxing with my family, and got a lot of exercise, which was awesome. It’s soooo nice here on winter afternoons! It’s usually in the low fifties, and is especially nice when it’s sunny. I also went to a really fun New Years roaring twenties party! I’m dreading going back to work on Monday, because it just seems so exhausting to even think about. I’m sure I’ll get in a routine though, and it will be fine. 

@galaxychaser sorry to hear you’re sick. I’m STILL coughing from my September bronchitis. OHHH! And what a new year I’ve had so far:

january 1–good day, but got a migraine on the left side of my head that evening. 
January 2– woke up with a migraine on the right side of my head, and it sucked. I went to the chiropractor, which helped. 
january 3–woke up with lingering neck pain. I had to go get blood drawn, and I PASSED OUT!!! It was a horrible experience! They had to draw a lot...they said about the same as you do when you donate blood...but I was still recovering from a migraine, and fasting. I don’t know if most people feel panicky when they are in that state, but I felt just like I do when I have a panic attack while I was coming back to. Maybe it was a panic attack? It was hard to breathe or see, and was awful! I hate needles, and usually feel kind of queasy during these things, but that is psychological. This was 100% physical! I was fine one second, and everything went white the next one. after that, I slept allllll afternoon, and woke up with the right side of my neck still hurting. I felt like I went in to get blood drawn at a disadvantage from the beginning. 
January 4–pretty good day! Fingers crossed. 

I have a good feeling about this year, but it has NOT started off well! LOL! Passing out was absolutely no fun. It can only get better, right?

Birdies. You can see the chick with Snowy!!!

0EF14339-983B-4037-93E1-37FB5AC2413C.jpeg

140DE017-FFF9-46D6-B815-DDABCE9CDDC3.jpeg

Congratulations!😀

• Love 5
23 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

My nephew told me about listening to podcasts at 1.5 speed. Depending on the subject & speaker, it can work out nice. 

I don't do many podcasts, but 1.5 speed works great for audiobooks.  I've listened to dozens at that speed and had no problems with any of them.  I really don't find it difficult to follow at that speed and the narrator's voice isn't distorted either.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't do many podcasts, but 1.5 speed works great for audiobooks.  I've listened to dozens at that speed and had no problems with any of them.  I really don't find it difficult to follow at that speed and the narrator's voice isn't distorted either.

Also good to know. The only person I usually listen to on audiobooks is David Sedaris and I would not want to miss a second of his delivery. Good trick for other books, though.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

@Christina87 ooohhhh birds! Congratulations! 

Ouch you fainted. I’m sorry. Did the doctor give you some meds?

No, but thankfully I was only out for a second. It took me a long time to come back around though! Everything looked white, and I felt really panicked. Wouldn’t wish it on anybody! How are you feeling today?

• Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 6:59 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Beautiful sunset! I feel as though I'm so spoiled here, with perfect sunrise views right outside my bedroom window, and perfect sunsets across the street from our front door. I have more sunrise and sunset pics on my phone than anything else. Here's the sunrise from yesterday.

82337242_10157707009357778_5746682459844509696_o.jpg

Wow, that would be worth waking up early to. Stunning!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Got sick again. Third time since August/September. 
What’s the point of the flu shot? 

I feel crummy.

Hope you feel better soon. That just sucks to be sick over and over again. 😥

• Love 3

@Christina87, your new baby bird is so exciting. What a way to start the year.

A member of my family has the same reaction as you had, passing out whenever needles are involved. He has learned to lay down when having any procedure like that, then getting up very, very slowly after. It really helps. It is an involuntary blood pressure drop thing, not necessarily caused by fear. 
Hope your new year will be healthier for you!

• Love 3

And I got sick not while at home during my break. Now I’m sick and working. Bought some immunity boosters. And will eat an orange every day. 

I think I’m getting sick because my heat is pretty non existent when it’s cold outside. My landlord truly sucks. 

• Love 1

@Christina87 I’m sorry you were sick and I’m so glad you’re okay. Yay for a baby bird on the way. 

@galaxychaser where do you live? Isn’t temp regulation required by law? I don’t want you to be sick- I would get a space heater from Target or something and plug in while you’re awake so your warm. If you turn off right when you go to sleep, and close your bedroom door you’ll be toasty all night. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Every day brings something interesting when baby birds are involved! This morning, there was a baby chick lying on the floor. It looked dead, but it moved its mouth a little bit. We tried putting it back in the nest with the bigger one. It must have hatched overnight and either wandered away from the nest, or been rejected! It appears the mother is accepting it, from what I can tell. I hope it lives! Poor little baby bird. 

• Love 9

@Christina87 Congratulations on the new addition(s) to your family.  How exciting.  It's nice hearing about a birth that isn't Duggar related in this forum.  Does he have a name yet?

BTW, I got a small jigsaw puzzle as a Christmas present.  You would love it. It's  3 different colored parakeets perched next to one another.  There's a blue one, turquoise one & yellow one. 

Hope you & @galaxychaser (and any other ailing folk) are feeling better soon.   It is hard trying to rebuild your immune system once it has been knocked down a few times. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6