Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E11: Haute Hair

• Start Topic

You'll see dozens of women with their breast pushed up and out in corsets like Precious at every Renaissance Faire.

Thought they would keep Aaron because they liked the raincoat, but Coral had nothing but criticism. Or they didn't air anything complimentary to keep us guessing.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Josiemae said:

I bet she'll make some good tips serving cocktails in Vegas though. (I assume she was headed to her shift after the show taped.)

I was thinking RuPaul's Drag Race, where she could have got some useful tips on being classy.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I think this hair stylist designed my childhood Thanksgiving turkeys…66B56F49-CB8D-4632-8001-758EC787EF2E.jpeg.9b178f8ddfbf6c53027ac646b18c52cc.jpeg  1FC37AA2-49E6-4CD0-9C5F-7A0003181458.jpeg.d07e0ed5a4949b00acaa8bda686eb923.jpeg

Aaron’s outfit reminded me of a crime scene that has been hastily covered up, recovered, and covered some more, until all you see is a pile of twigs and branches and crumpled newspaper that just call attention to the original crime. Dude, all you had to do was make a simple monochrome  dress/jumper to go underneath your nifty raincoat. What was with all the crisscross details and superhero striping? That was pure panic mode.

Elaine does not get to criticize anyone’s hair/ outfit combo when hers looks like that. (Sorry, Christian. Swing and a miss.)

Kristina is annoyed that Shantall wants to win? A competition show? The nerve.

I don’t know why I was able to quickly forgive Bones for his early bad behavior, but couldn’t give Aaron a similar pass. I think he’s talented, I don’t think he should have gone tonight (why are the judges not sick of all the macrame??), but I somehow can’t work up any sorrow for his ouster. Vaya con Dios, Aaron. Hope you gained a little personal insight.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, TzuShih said:

I 'think' - I'm not positive - that Christian had a dress like that in his recent collection.  I suspect that it might have been shown with a smaller-chested woman.  But the way it fit that judge, it looked like part of "The Bordello Collection."  Tres Trampy.  😜

It almost had to have been shown "with a smaller-chested woman," no? Heh.

Aaron's trajectory was headed this way beginning with his contre-temps with Bones. IOW, Aaron got the "Yes, he's up there, but he's not really a nice guy, so it'll be okay when we Auf him" edit. 

Chasity, OTOH, has been getting the "You GO, girl!" edit, with tonight's victory her penultimate win (during which judging the hair, not the garment, was her focus). Chasity's final win will, of course, be for the entire competition.

Bones will not win. This was foreshadowed in Episode One. He might finish second (which does not entail any "You're out"). 

Shantall tonight chose leather over Christian's warning, and had the garment tear. I.e., she got the "Makes Poor Choices/Ignores Good Advice" edit. Won't win. 

The others will leave in the coming weeks. 

No spoilers; just calling as I see them. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6

Chantal had two zippers in her pants, I think..a fly front in the front, and an invisible in the back.  I think the invisible was only there to make the rip into a seam.  She probably placed the back on a thin place in the leather hence the rip.

Precious telling Kristina that she needed to tighten the strap on the bra top to hoist up the model’s breasts was dumb.  If you tightened that thin strap it would probably have broken right when she walked the runway.  And what kind of model (with ANY size breasts) doesn’t bring a bra to a fitting?  She had some sort of crop exercise top on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Kristina is annoyed that Shantall wants to win? A competition show? The nerve.

Seriously.  And Chantall hasn't been nasty to anyone this season that I can remember.  Eyes on the prize is the way a competitor SHOULD be.  Maybe Kristina is a 180 from the tried and true "I'm not here to make friends" mantra of every competition show in the history of TV.

Traumatized by Precious's breasts, didn't love any of the looks (though I thought Chantall and Bones had the best) and am so over Elaine.  She reminds me of the teacher who tries to be like one of the kids, but also loves to lecture on how she's right about everything.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

am so over Elaine.  She reminds me of the teacher who tries to be like one of the kids, but also loves to lecture on how she's right about everything.

That is exactly her vibe!

And whose Christmas tree did she mug for her hair ornament???

Aaron's "jumpsuit" was really sad. I actually liked his raincoat, but that tragic undergarment was so much worse than Coral's (which I didn't really hate -- I actually kinda liked that it was a bit quirky and had different fabrics).

I enjoyed the Russian spy Patty more than I should have.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

The hair on the model for Bones had a messy bun. That's it. A bun. There was nothing interesting or clever about that hair. 

I haven't loved this season as much as others. I think I like Chantal the best of the remaining designers. I didn't find anyone I really liked this year. Zayden seemed like a lovely person, but his designs were so-so. I feel like for a lot of these designers when they are on, their designs are fantastic, but when they are off they are horrible. Lots of one-way monkeys. They are so married to their aesthetic they aren't adaptable and that's what is needed in this competition.

I'm not going to say PR has completely lost it and is horrible, I feel like this season is a dud. I don't dislike Elaine as much as many posters and I really like Christian as a mentor. Not ready to jump ship yet. I wonder if the pandemic had any impact on the competitors we're seeing this season. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 11

Mileage varies! Kristina's was the only one up there I'd consider wearing. It was in my top 2. Didn't love it but a weak showing overall so it's up there for me.

And 100% think the right person went home -- Aaron's coat couldn't save that jumpsuit. It was bad on an epic scale, in concept, vibe, and execution. Coral didn't do a good job but she didn't make a massive flub like that.

12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Thought they would keep Aaron because they liked the raincoat, but Coral had nothing but criticism. Or they didn't air anything complimentary to keep us guessing.

I heard a compliment about her jacket being very good (I think from Nina), and the way she said it gave me the impression she would no go home because of it. And Precious said she liked all the pieces separately.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, vibeology said:

Shantall's look was great and very 90s throwback that's currently trendy. I think the coat should have been cropped though. I don't really understand what happened with her leather. She said it was rotten? Mood sells rotten leather?

Not rotten...I suspect that was a language issue. Leather can have weak spots. It's one of the things that makes it difficult and expensive to work with, you need loads of it to cut around problem areas or you have to pay for very high quality stuff. I really liked hers.  My other top 2 pick.

23 hours ago, Bluesky said:

I hated those material swirls Bone put on the front of the top.  Definitely will not work if you have boobs. 

I really hated that one! Boobs or no, it looked cheap and poorly made. And I disliked Chasity's too. They'd have been my middle two.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, JapMo said:

I still can't believe they never call her out on her macrame obsession.  They constantly reamed Rami in Season 4 because he loved to drape.  

Remember, she had a design or two without macrame early on until Christian came over and whined that her pieces were missing her signature macrame. It's the same "damned if you do..." dance we've seen time and time again in PR.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

Ugh...I'm sorry but how can Cristina be in the top 2?? I'm sure I'm in the minority but I didn't think it served justice to a larger frame..WAY too much fabric. Guess that's why I'm not a designer..lol

No, it's not just you. That outfit was atrocious and it made her plus size model look twice as big. She's really gone downhill but it doesn't seem to matter to the judges. Which brings me to the judges themselves ..they all suck, including Nina. They have no edge or PoV anymore, just sniping and butchery to keep their pets in the competition. This show us a far, far cry from the Heidi/Tim days of "make it work!'

• Love 12

I just got to finish watching because ITunes didn't send my episode until today.  I think Aaron made the classiest exit I've ever seen from this show.  He messed up, and he owned up to it.  

Some of those hairdos - beautiful as they were - I just don't know how they don't hurt.  They look heavy, and tight.  When my hair gets down to shoulder length I really start to feel it.

• Love 10
On 1/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, Angeleyes said:

Precious and Elaine were both wearing designs by Christian tonight. I think Precious looked like she was about to pop out at any moment. 

Elaine’s top kept going wonky, and Precious’s made her boobs look like balloons about to bust. It made mine hurt to look at her. Which I didn’t much because I was afraid I’d spy a nipple.

Was she wearing a wig? Because, irony. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Was she wearing a wig? Because, irony. 

I agree.

I thought the challenge was all about natural hair and all the ways it is beautiful and then the guest judge shows up wearing a wig. Which covered her natural hair.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
On 1/14/2022 at 7:35 AM, Jordan Baker said:

This season is probably my least favorite of all the Bravo seasons. Too much drama (in the first few episodes, anyway) and too little talent. 

I'm sorry to see Aaron go because I thought he would have created an interesting collection. I knew he'd be in the bottom, and I figured Coral would be too. But my third would have been Chasity. Yes, her dress was a good fit for the hair, but I really didn't like the dress. Maybe it was the sequins around the slashes, which really cheapened the look. I also thought there was too much going on. (Is that a Heidi-ism?) 

I thought Kristina's was interesting, but it was middle at best.

Shantell's was probably my favorite. 

What was the little tiff between Shantell and Kristina at the notions' counter? I think I missed something. 

Kristina apparently was shocked to realize that Shantall is there to try to win, and so she wouldn’t let Kristina cut back in line at Mood and jeopardize her own chances at getting her purchase under the deadline. kristina referred back to Shantall saying so in the green room, and actually they all seemed pretty stunned about it. Surprise! It’s a compettion!

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Gloriosa said:

I think Aaron made the classiest exit I've ever seen from this show.  He messed up, and he owned up to it.  

This 100%. The crying and whining really bothers me. These are supposed to be professionals. It's not high school. Stop the crying and excuses and act like an adult. Similarly, I don't like hearing excuses about "back stories."  Who cares what happened when you were a child etc. A good sob story does not excuse a bad idea or poor execution. Just make a good product. That's all anyone wants. I know this sounds mean, but many of these contestants need to grow up.   I'm thinking especially about the designer who walked out on her housewife client last episode (forgot her name).  That was totally unprofessional. In the real world she would have been fired, not coddled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, HelloOutThere said:

- I am a gay man and honestly don’t think Aaron meant the pearl necklace thing as a dirty joke. He’s already kind of an Old Queen at heart. Like an aunt. (A single one) He seems one to spend more time clutching his pearls rather than the more lewd interpretations. Sad to see him go but it was like he was possessed by the spirit of Katie for this one 🎈🤡 

Because of his age,  I really thought he was referring to the old ZZ Top song, from the early 80s, and it's sexual. Not gay, just sexual. He definitely knows the reference. Here are the lyrics:

And I was gettin' blown away
And she held it in her hand
And this is what she had to say
A pearl necklace
She wanna pearl necklace
She wanna pearl necklace

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

- I am a gay man and honestly don’t think Aaron meant the pearl necklace thing as a dirty joke.

As a straight old lady (80+) I thought Aaron definitely meant "pearl necklace" in the sexual way. Does it have to be a DIRTY joke?  Can't it simply be funny, fun (and an inside joke to way too many)?  

• Love 13
11 hours ago, gingerella said:

That outfit was atrocious and it made her plus size model look twice as big.

I thought it was DUMB from the beginning and was surprised (WHY am I EVER surprised on this series) there were any compliments.  ALSO, the model's original hairstyle was not conducive to this challenge.  If they wanted a short "Marcel" look, there are better models available.

13 hours ago, snarktini said:

Kristina's was the only one up there I'd consider wearing.

I think I'd wear the trench coat/jumpsuit before I'd wear Kristina's creation.

13 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

The hair on the model for Bones had a messy bun. That's it. A bun. There was nothing interesting or clever about that hair. 

Messy bun...AND she bopped the top of it when she came on the runway-it fell down a bit.  DON'T TOUCH THE HAIR!

On 1/14/2022 at 10:09 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

You'll see dozens of women with their breast pushed up and out in corsets like Precious at every Renaissance Faire.

Usually just walking around and performing--rarely sitting down in an outfit two sizes too small.

• Love 4
On 1/13/2022 at 8:50 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Her boobs were very distracting. I was trying to figure hoe she did not have a nip slip. I was also waiting for one or both of them to break free.  

I'd wager there were a few nip-slips...but the editors on these shows have MORE than their share of professional work to do.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

I do not need to see Bones channeling the Statue of Liberty. 

huh...  i actually really enjoy seeing what strange thing Bones comes up with almost more than seeing the models strutting their stuff!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I agree.

I thought the challenge was all about natural hair and all the ways it is beautiful and then the guest judge shows up wearing a wig. Which covered her natural hair.

Yeah, I didn’t get the natural hair comment.  The models all had extensions and plenty of fake hair.

And Elaine fake dreads made her look like a tool.   Trying so hard to fit in.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
On 1/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, MartyQui said:

Precious telling Kristina that she needed to tighten the strap on the bra top to hoist up the model’s breasts was dumb.  If you tightened that thin strap it would probably have broken right when she walked the runway.

I was super annoyed by that. Not only were the straps not strong enough for the job, Precious kept saying to tack them. Tacking is basting; you don't use it for heavy duty.

This is an example of why I don't think we need models as judges (or hosts). Experience in one part of your industry doesn't mean you have expertise in the whole industry. Having models judge Project Runway is like having Joey Chestnut judge Top Chef.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 4

I'm watching the judging right now.  I was sure the plus-size model, Dariana, was going to send another designer home, but no, they loved that mess of fabric.  "Oh, I always think stripes and finger curls just naturally GO TOGETHER."  Say what now?  Hmm.  It occurs to me, cynical me, that Project Runway couldn't allow their BBB model to be the kiss of death yet again.

I thought Bones' snaky/nude red satin number was gorgeous.  I may have emitted a tiny gasp.

What's wrong with that hairstylist who offered a skimpy little pony with a couple of deflated puffs for the inspiration and then came back for the show with a whole head full of shiny blonde balls bobbling every which way between intricate black ribbonwork?

Back to the show. . . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Because of his age,  I really thought he was referring to the old ZZ Top song, from the early 80s, and it's sexual. Not gay, just sexual. He definitely knows the reference. Here are the lyrics:

And I was gettin' blown away
And she held it in her hand
And this is what she had to say
A pearl necklace
She wanna pearl necklace
She wanna pearl necklace

He's still a Millennial.  He's born in 1982.  Usually people born in the 80s grew up on 90s music.  Personally I have never heard of that song.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 1/15/2022 at 3:58 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Precious’s made her boobs look like balloons about to bust. It made mine hurt to look at her.

Everytime the camera focused on her, I had an irrational, burning desire to use one of those old super long hat pins to pop them.  

4 hours ago, candall said:

Hmm.  It occurs to me, cynical me, that Project Runway couldn't allow their BBB model to be the kiss of death yet again.

Totally agree.  I hate that they keep using her and the other big girl damn near every single week.  Those bigger models put their designers at an immediate disadvantage over the designers who have the skinny minnies.  I don't know why the judges don't see that.

I was sorry to see Aaron go. Coral would've been my bottom.  That neoprene was awful but I keep thinking if he had stuck to a solid color, he may have been ok.  He really went into overkill with that chevron pattern theme.  But I had a genuine LOL moment when Aaron declared, "A mess can be cleaned with a mop.  This needed FEMA."  I love self-awareness on reality tv.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

well, that was something.

the only design I really liked was Chantall. She has to be a lock for the final three.

Chasity definitely had a moment but I'm not a huge fan of her designs. With Elaine's obvious fangirlish preference, I'm sure she's also in the final three.

Sorry to see Aaon go but that jumpsuit was tragic. Just a shift dress and some wellies and he likely would have won.

90% of what Bones makes looks like a costume to me including his own runway attire. Just don't get it.

Coral can sew and at least has a point of view. I think her look was confused though. I liked the jacket just not with the skirt and hair.

Kristina again has a point of view, but I did not like this look on this model. And I really dislike this model. Not because she is big just everything about how she walks irks me. There was one plus size model that I loved. She killed it every runway but this one...ugh.

I like diversity on the runway but why can't we have older models.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 1/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, njbchlover said:

If he had made a neoprene tube dress in the blue, with some of that braiding accent in yellow, I think he would have won the challenge.

@njbchlover I had the same thought. I was thinking "just make a sleek body-con dress with some sneakers and be done with it!"

I cannot fathom the thought process of the judges though. They all across the board loved his raincoat, including Elaine who has been the most meh and critical of him this entire time. They all agreed he met the hair challenge and his look complimented the braids. Meanwhile, they did not love Coral's look at all and all agreed her look with the hair was a total fail. Yet Aaron goes home. He's been in the top almost the entire competition but has one mistake and goes home. Coral is not winning this thing with her stupid macrame and fringe. No point in delaying the inevitable with her, but yet they send home someone who had the potential to actually win.

Chasity's look was good, but I actually liked Shantall's more. But there was no way they were giving Shantall three wins in a row.

No idea how Kristina's look was in the top. I feel like every season there is one designer that I am scratching my head thinking "why do they like them? Am I blind? Or crazy?" and this season she is it for me. I universally hate almost everything she has made and this week was no exception, yet here she was in the top again, despite the fact that her model's boobs looked almost as bad as that judge's boobs. Speaking of, when your tits are up under your chin and people are staring trying to figure out if you have nipples or not, you should not be lecturing someone else about bra support.

I thought the final three would be Chasity, Shantall and Aaron. I guess I'm rooting for Bones now instead.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

I couldn't help but think that Christian's design for Precious would've been something he would've sarcastically berated if it was the design of one of the contestants.  And one which Nina would've questioned the taste level.  There was simply no need for that woman's breasts to be out like that.  Were her nipples taped down?

Also thought Cristina's design was horrendous.  Co-sign on the macrame -- enough already with the "signature" gimic.

I wasn't wild about the winning look.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 5

The shrieking! This week and last week. I mean, they are always giddy about something but it’s gone into hyperdrive lately.

Hey, Kristina got dealt a bad hand this week. Her model shows up in what looks like a leisure bra with her boobs hanging down to her waist…”Forgot my bra, oops!”…yeah, right. So Kristina has to jettison her original design which was more like a full-on kimono wrap. She knew that style would make her bra-less model look like a sack of potatoes but she’d already bought the fabric. So she came up with her half jacket look with a bra top. Now she couldn’t make a supportive bra, Miss Guest Judge, because that takes a lot of specialized material, boning, underwire, elastic, etc. (And have you ever looked at a bra pattern? It’s like 35 pieces and very intricate sewing and fitting. Not a one-day challenge sort of thing). So she did okay, considering and the pants were fine. She should’ve been safe.

There have been skilled corset makers on the show in the past but none this season IIRC. There has been at least one excellent plus size model, Luris, I think her name is. She understood the importance of good foundation garments. It’s okay to wear spandex and sports bras on your own time, but if you call yourself a model, you have to come prepared for garments to hang correctly. 

• Love 5
On 1/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, rhofmovalley said:

Since you went there (kinda), I have a rhetorical question - now please don't think I mean this in a racist way, because I don't but I am somewhat confused. Lots of wigs and hair extension are taken from women in Asia (India/Pakistan). They grow their hair long and get it cut and get paid.  Were some of the other ladies wearing extensions/ wigs? Would that be black positivity in a cultural way?  Or were the rest of the ladies using their natural hair during the show? 

• Useful 1

I think the challenge that disappointed  me the most  was the combination faux fur and avante garde one. I'm usually very excited for the avante garde one and when I heard it would be combined with faux fur I thought the results would be a runway full of ugly. 

...and it sure was (IMO).

Edited by T Summer
typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Re-watched the final runway. IMO, both the red dress of Bones and the white leather outfit by Shantall were superior to the glitter animal-print dress by Chasity.

The first two showed skill, taste, and imagination; the last showed the ability to use scissors and glue.

• Love 4
On 1/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, Angeleyes said:

Precious and Elaine were both wearing designs by Christian tonight. I think Precious looked like she was about to pop out at any moment. 

Or more likely Explode.  Too much, over the top for me.  And someone  please tell Elaine to cover up those frail looking shoulders  and arms.     

• Love 3
On 1/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, dleighg said:

yeah, I'm as "woke" as anyone (for a white person anyway), but lordy I got tired of being beaten over the head with "black girl power" stuff. We get it. Say it once or twice, and we GOT IT.

This.  It makes me wonder if they will just hand Chasity the win like they did with Ashley.  Not because her collection was the best but to make a statement.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2022 at 3:00 AM, 30 Helens said:

but I somehow can’t work up any sorrow for his ouster. Vaya con Dios, Aaron. Hope you gained a little personal insight.

I’m totally the opposite. I can’t find a single bit of excitement for the ones left because I just lived Aaron. His outfit was awful but they’ve kept worse designs before. Usually the curse is to be boring, like Coral’s. I truly believe she should have gone home. 

It would not have been possible to telegraph Chastity’s win more. I like her and the overall effect was good, but it wasn’t anything new. With her whole story about her daughter and her hair, she was going to win unless she did something hideous. 

I’m fine with Black Girl Magic. I’m just surprised y’all haven’t heard that before. I would just like to be able to call myself Queen or something similar and not have folks look at me weird!  

I’m missing Aaron so much. I truly adored most of his clothes!  I like Chastity so much, but don’t find her clothes that great. Bones has ideas, but I don’t think they’re usually very well executed. Shantall is good, but it’s just not my style. 

• Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 2:45 AM, eyelash said:

As a person with pendulous breasts myself, I believe what she is doing is taking her downward pointing breasts and "folding" them into the bottom of a bra cup in an effort to create a rounded breast and disguise that her nipples hang so low they could be tucked into her waist band.  

I read the comments here before I watched the episode, and still was unprepared for what I saw.

Every second I looked at that guest judge I was examining her cleavage and thinking about the folding process you described and marveling at the things I don't know.

ETA: I was looking for a photo to show Mr. Outlier the tortured boobs, and ran across this.  I'm terrible at social media, but it appears to be from the show's official Facebook page, where they announced the guest judge.  Interesting choice.

271853930_10160370412478221_346807741048

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, kittywink said:

It’s okay to wear spandex and sports bras on your own time, but if you call yourself a model, you have to come prepared for garments to hang correctly. 

you have to come prepared for garments......and any possible body parts to hang correctly. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, Ilovepie said:

Speaking of, when your tits are up under your chin and people are staring trying to figure out if you have nipples or not, you should not be lecturing someone else about bra support.

• Love 2