Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E01: One Million Miles

• Start Topic

What can I say about this episode but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayo.   Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayo.  Daylight come and me wanna go hoooo-ooooome.

Seriously,  I'm gonna be listening to that song for a while more now.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

A breath of fresh air!

Yet at the end I'm confused.  If every one else is to "keep racing" How do the flag shorts boys get eliminated?

Nice to see the barrel rolling didn't lock in the order

I can sympathize with the steel drum players.  I love this song but have zero rhythm or talent.  
I feel for the Olympian, my late Mom was dyslexic, but only diagnosed in her late 50's.

• Love 14

Welcome back, TAR!

I enjoyed the location and the tasks.

I enjoyed the teams for the most part. But, I'm still getting to know everyone. Good effort, Nathan and Cody.

Unless they tweeked it in an interesting way, I can't say I missed the Yield, though.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 2

I am so glad this is back.

I love how the big football guy's goat was just going slow with him. 

Loved seeing the locals and the locations. Great tasks.

I can't really tell who I am going to hate because I was too excited that my show was back.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Yet at the end I'm confused.  If every one else is to "keep racing" How do the flag shorts boys get eliminated?

Phil said (when the preview for the pit stop came up) the last team will be eliminated.

• Useful 2

It's good to have TAR back, even if it means a few Racers probably want to seek out Harry Belafonte and punch him in the face. Does the "SD" in PTSD stand for "Steel Drums"? Now it might!

Gotta love Phil's cold intro. I'm thinking that might be played before every episode. The man is all class. In his place, I would've added that the episodes had been in the proverbial can for at least 18 months, and that CBS didn't rush to air it due to the lack of fighting and fucking.

I don't have any clear favoites or villains in the first leg (apologies to @mtlchick; I missed Michelle's moment of ugliness, but I did DVR the episode).  Eswar & Aparna have my heart for telling us they grew up watching the show. Makes me feel old, but at least I know they're diehard fans. Felt bad for the "Noodlers," and I got flashbacks to another "good ole boy" team getting eliminated first (Ryan & Chuck, TAR7).

Good tropes: the rhythm-based Roadblock, the bad choice for Roadblock (Gary fucking up the steel drums, while Gary DeAngelo  cringes on the sidelines), not getting the intricacies of a task ("fish" having colored fins), and farm animals. Yeah, the goats were at the very end, but it gave trailing teams hope in case of a mishap. And you got Phil going "Let go, let go, let go" in a calme yet firm manner.

ETA for @raeb23 . . . I meant “steel drums.” Don’t you just hate when you unconsciously mix up homonyms?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 10

I unapologetically root for former professional athletes, especially football players, so De’Angelo and Gary moved right up to the top of my list.

Girl, same.  And De'Angelo `is also a former Steeler which is my team.  They made me so nervous - they better get it together.  My 11 year old decided she would root for the gay couple because she "loves their energy and happiness"  Love that kid!  

Edited by kstar821
  • Love 23

Glad to have the show back but I was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I just binge re-watched seasons 1-21 over the past month and a half, but I didn't really feel the sense of urgency in this episode like previous seasons. I think I attribute it to the editing. It just felt slower-paced somehow...not enough tense race music or something. Anyone else kinda feel that way? 

Seems like this was the first time teams took a cab to the airport instead of driving themselves or taking public transit. Again, took away the sense of urgency. Was everyone on the same plane? If so, no need to sprint out the gate like that except for the "race!" illusion. I really miss the old days of the initial sprint to the airport and scramble for the best flight. I know they pretty much did that with the barrel roll task, but that's pretty much a first leg TAR staple.

Was it also the first time we didn't see Phil tell each team what number they were, despite it being a 'Keep racing" leg? I missed seeing everyone's reaction to the leg not being over.

Anyway, I did like the fish task and I'll look forward to seeing what's in store next!

• Love 5

I found myself rooting for the football players. They were teammates for 5 years and seem like actual friends, unlike some of the athlete teams we've had before that seemed kind of randomly paired together. They seem to have a great spirit and energy for the show. Alana and Leo could also be fun to watch.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I am confused as well.  I never heard Phil say "the last team will be eliminated" so when he started giving the next clue out I was happy.  I like to get to know the racers a little bit before they have to go.  Phil..it is so good to see you again  <3 and thanks for making sure that everyone knows the show was filmed before Covid hit.

Let's also hope that the 2nd place team sister who got the terrible edit adjusts her attitude.  If not we have a team to root against.  That was some ugly behavior.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm so happy to have this show back and I'm glad they didn't focus at all on the flight to Trinidad - it freed up so much time to show the tasks and get to know the teams. At the end of the show I really felt like I knew something about each of them.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

The show came on, the music started, and a wave of happiness just swept over me! I didn't realize how much I missed this show!

The nerdy girl looks like Gabby from Survivor.

Yes, yes, yes!!  And that's who she reminded me of.  I couldn't place her at first.

• Love 4

I don't think they wanted the teams driving to LAX at night...so taxis made sense.  As some already posted, glad they didn't waste time on airport drama

I think the one sister's name is Michelle...and, man, let's hope that attitude disappears asap.  She's the only one I actively disliked.

Rooting for the former Olympians, the ex football players, and the pro beach volleyball guys.  Actually, pretty much OK wilth all the teams except the sisters.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 4

Loved seeing my country on TAR for the first time. 

8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

It's good to have TAR back, even if it means a few Racers probably want to seek out Harry Belafonte and punch him in the face. Does the "SD" in PTSD stand for "Steal Drums"?

It's steel drums, though we tend to use "steelpan" or just "pan". The band was probably just as annoyed to have to repeatedly play that song as they are accustomed to more challenging arrangements. I get why it was chosen for the race though.

13 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Funny that the second-place team made this about Chinese vs. Vietnamese.

I totally missed this. What did they say?

• Love 6

So happy to see this show I nearly cried! But I didn't change over from Masked Singer quickly enough so I missed Phil's cold open - what did he say?

Don't hate anyone yet, still figuring out who everyone is so it may take one or two more eps to get there. Liked the football players, the catfish friends, and the gay couple. 

Hope things stay positive, because I need this positive in my life right now.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Whee!  Such fun watching the track women outrun the goats.  

I was kind of hoping that everyone would get to continue, even though Phil said the last team to arrive "will be eliminated."  Oh well!  

Oh, show, how I have missed you!

But now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for daaaaayyoooo... er, days.

Yes! Especially when Phil and the Greeter discussed the Olympians running with the goats.  Phil was like, "The speed!"  The Greeter: "And Form!" 

I got spoiled for Hung's landing on the mat by Twitter.  Seeing it in context... was funnier.  

I love this show. 

*dancing to the Banana Boat Song as I wash dishes from dinner*

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I thought this was a Non Elimination leg and that may have been a 2 hours episode cut down to one to stager the season. I was kind of shocked when the boys were Eliminated. Isn’t a continuing leg usually, um,,,,,,continuing? Has this happened before? That said, it was good episode and Tobago looks beautiful. 

• Love 2

I don't remember Phil saying "The world awaits you" to the teams. I always watch for that moment, but I forgot!

I like the NFL guys, too. They seem nice and I like football. There really isn't anyone I don't like so far, just some I care less about than others. I like the Vietnamese team because my sister-in-law is Vietnamese plus we have a lot of Vietnamese in my general area.

23 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I was kind of shocked when the boys were Eliminated. Isn’t a continuing leg usually, um,,,,,,continuing? Has this happened before?

Unusual but not unheard of.  I remember a season (don't ask me which one, it was a long time ago) where the first country was China.  A pair of friends whose "thing" was that they were observant Muslims was the last to a check-in point (not a pit stop) and they were eliminated. Anyone else remember that?  It was the season that had the professional poker girls.  

The opening, if you missed it, had Phil explaining that the season was filmed before the coronavirus was discovered - as someone said, the "Before Times".  

• Love 4

We've been rewatching the seasons to bide the time until the new show (and I'm dragging a newbie along with me) but even so, I was SOOO happy when the theme started!  We just saw the watermelon episode a few days ago, so cackled when it came up again tonight.  Bless her heart.

While I hate that the drag TAR through the mud before they get it to us, I'm just as happy to finally have it.

• Love 1

Glad to have the show back but I was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I just binge re-watched seasons 1-21 over the past month and a half,

Yes I think rewatching previous seasons affected your perception because I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was pretty good, and that's probably due in large part to not having seen the show in so long. I've been feeling like it's been getting stale but this seemed pretty good and I loved the part with the goats, that really cracked me up. I also think they got a pretty good cast this season. I'm disinclined to root for pro athletes, they always seem like stunt casts to me, but finding out these guys cosplay at Comic Con sort of endeared them to me. 

Not real crazy about the bitchy sisters and the gay guys, both teams seem like they were cast to bring the drama, but I might change my mind later. Everyone else seems pretty cool so far.

I don't know how long it's going to take to get that steel drum song out of my head!!!

God knows how long it will be before they can ever do this show again. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11

I forgot to mention: poor form for Phil for not bringing up Claire's name in that one spot. Or maybe he did, and the producers thought it didn't matter. She took a damn watermelon to the face, so I'd say it matters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Ugly American making racial stereotype of another contestant? Yup. (Congrats Michelle you waited close to two years to get a bad edit on the first episode.)

Apart from that, I wasn't thrilled by by the volleyballers saying "there go the hillbillies" about Team Catfish. It's okay if we call ourselves hillbillies, but for someone else to do it is derogatory. 

By and large, it's good to have The Show back!

• Love 15
On 10/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, Browncoat said:

I was kind of hoping that everyone would get to continue, even though Phil said the last team to arrive "will be eliminated."  Oh well!  

Same here, I missed him saying, "The last team will be eliminated", so I was just a little shocked that the Catfish guys were eliminated.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:11 PM, PoultryDancer said:

Great start! Only thing I didn't care for was how much they spread out the team intros through the first half of the episode. We're seeing teams running and I'm like Who the heck are they! But I'm so happy to have the show back.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  It seemed like teams were still getting their intro packages twenty minutes into the show.  That was just odd.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:14 PM, Lamb18 said:

The show came on, the music started, and a wave of happiness just swept over me! I didn't realize how much I missed this show!

The nerdy girl looks like Gabby from Survivor.

Goats! Maybe there will be animals at every pit stop.

I feel the same way about the song, it always brings a smile to my face.  I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

Yes she does look like Gabby.  I was sitting there trying to think who she looked like and I was like, "Oh yeah that cute chick from Survivor."

The only thing better than goats would be Llamas (Cass from Survivor could translate for them).  To me the Llama is the ultimate TAR animal.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, TheRabbi said:

I found myself rooting for the football players. They were teammates for 5 years and seem like actual friends, unlike some of the athlete teams we've had before that seemed kind of randomly paired together. They seem to have a great spirit and energy for the show. Alana and Leo could also be fun to watch.

I liked the football players as well.  They just came across as nice, likable guys.

So my list thus far is (I'm just doing this for myself so that I can look back at the end of the season to see if my feelings change)...

Teams I like:

Gary and DeAngelo

Kellie and LaVonne, more because of Kellie than LaVonne, LaVonne was not featured enough for me to form any opinion of her.

Hung and Chee, I always have a soft spot of the married parents teams and older teams if they are not assholes and thus far they are not assholes.  Plus Hung reminds me of my aunt who is four feet ten and only weighs around eighty pounds.

Jerry and Frank, As I said I always like to see the older racers do well.  This team is my pick to win the show (I am spoiler free, so I have no idea if they did win or not.  I try to remain spoiler free for TAR.  The Challenge, Big Brother, and Survivor not so much.).

Teams I don't like:

Will and James, I honestly cannot put a finger on why I don't like them.  They just seem like they have the potential to be villains.  One of them did make a snide remark about something but I don't remember what was said but that was my initial reason for not liking them.

Michelle and Victoria, Michelle proved tonight that beauty is only skin deep.  Man did she come across like an asshole.  I have nothing against Victoria so this is just based on how Michelle acted.

Aparna and Eswar, I was not crazy about them saying how smart they are.  Yes that is enough to get someone on my initial shit list.

The rest of the teams I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other about them.

Edited by BK1978
Because I am an idiot who should do my research first.
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Ananayel said:

So happy to see this show I nearly cried! But I didn't change over from Masked Singer quickly enough so I missed Phil's cold open - what did he say?

Don't hate anyone yet, still figuring out who everyone is so it may take one or two more eps to get there. Liked the football players, the catfish friends, and the gay couple. 

Hope things stay positive, because I need this positive in my life right now.

As someone said above, Phil explained that it was filmed before the pandemic.

Did anyone else think Phil looked unwell in the opening - gaunt and pale?  Of course, it didn't help that (like so many other male presenters at the moment) he seems to have forgotten how to shave properly. 

• Love 3

Add me to the group who immediately thought of Survivor Gabby when I saw Alana.

Although this show is second to Survivor for me, I am so happy to have this on right now. And Phil! And an airport and beaches and traveling. I've missed/miss all those things so much.

I cannot wait until I can travel again. Even if it's just going to a friend's house to watch Amazing Race.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, raeb23 said:
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Funny that the second-place team made this about Chinese vs. Vietnamese.

I totally missed this. What did they say?

Michelle  said "I'm sorry I messed up and Chee beat me. maybe chinese are better at piano than vietnamese are."  

3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Unusual but not unheard of.  I remember a season (don't ask me which one, it was a long time ago) where the first country was China.  A pair of friends whose "thing" was that they were observant Muslims was the last to a check-in point (not a pit stop) and they were eliminated. Anyone else remember that?  It was the season that had the professional poker girls.  

I think that was TAR 10. I remember being excited that there were four teams who were minorities going into the season. Then two of those teams got eliminated in the first double episode, including the "To Be Continued" elimination. It was not the Poker Girls' season, but the season where the second bus bonded and formed the "Back Pack" alliance. The Coal Miners David and Mary and the Beauty Queens Dustin & Kandace debuted that season.

Who else kept hearing The Proclaimers every time you saw the "One Million Miles" title?

I like the mix of people so far. I'm here for the (one sided so far) Asian on Asian rivalry.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 3

Michelle has no tact (but her face when her sister said her mom only has a picture of her in her wallet was so funny) but the editors were not going to miss Michelle saying “Hung probably had to play piano” and then immediately cut to Hung in the boat saying he played piano.

Then she ruined it with her Chinese vs. Vietnamese slander.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Great location and tasks.  I like most of the racers so far and really felt for the dyslexic Olympian. 

Dyscalculic.  She said her issue was getting numbers mixed up, which is actually dyscalculia, not dyslexia.  In other words, dyscalculia is dyslexia for numbers.

Now, it is possible she has both.  Or the more likely possibility is that she doesn't know the difference between the terms and was just using the more commonly known one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

"The world is waiting for you. Good luck. Travel safe. Go! [/eyebrow pop]" 😂😂😂😂😂 Welcome back, show. We need you.

Alana and Leo look so much like a couple I know -- she even sounds like my friend -- that I am seriously considering asking them if they did the Race and didn't tell anyone 😁 The only difference is that Leo has more hair than my friend's husband. It made it kind of eerie and disconcerting to watch them, lol.

I'm in an antiracism study group and Monday evening we were talking about the degree to which we prejudge individuals based on what group we perceive them to be in. So it was interesting to observe my own reactions and to watch the team dynamics from that perspective too.

• Love 7

So, so happy to have The Amazing Race back.  And to have a classic style race.  I really hated the gimmicks they started using in the last few seasons.  I enjoyed every moment of this.  And hey - Phil liked one of my tweets during the show.  😄  I like alot of the teams including Will and James - one of them is a dancer and I love dance.  The football guys owned me when they showed their Comic Con pics.  Alien and Predator - hee!  And the volleyball players were fun.  I hate the beards and I cracked up when one of them said my Mom likes it.  Plus Greece is one of the last countries I was in pre-Covid and I still miss it.  Joining the not liking Michelle comments.  Even before her comment, I really didn't like their team vibe.  

I just want to hug Phil so much.  He sounded so happy to be back.  I am going to cherish every moment of this race as who knows when we will get one again.  

• Love 17

So happy it's back, Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit during the opening credits.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Eswar & Aparna have my heart for telling us they grew up watching the show. Makes me feel old, but at least I know they're diehard fans.

Made me feel so old.  I've watched since episode 1 but was a full on adult in 2001.  Despite good intentions, I only managed to re-watch S1 during the lockdown (Swing, Fat Bastard, swing!).  Maybe it was nostalgia but this episode had good energy and I'm happy with the lack of stunt casting.  I've told anyone and everyone that they should watch the show.  Hoping it picks up some new fans.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Hung and Chee, I always have a soft spot of the married parents teams and older teams if they are not assholes and thus far they are not assholes.  Plus Chee reminds me of my aunt who is four feet ten and only weighs around eighty pounds.

8 hours ago, tinkerbell said: 

I may be wrong but I believe Hung is the wife and Chee is the husband. 

Edited by Seelouis
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Brynnjk said:

I really hated the gimmicks they started using in the last few seasons.

This x 1000. Survivor is also guilty of this, only more so. I understand that the producers think they're keeping things fresh but what they miss is that the original concepts for these shows are so good, they don't need gimmicks. Just good casting of normal people in unusual situations.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, BK1978 said:

So my list thus far is (I'm just doing this for myself so that I can look back at the end of the season to see if my feelings change)...

Teams I like:

Gary and DeAngelo

Kellie and LaVonne, more because of Kellie than LaVonne, LaVonne was not featured enough for me to form any opinion of her.

Hung and Chee, I always have a soft spot of the married parents teams and older teams if they are not assholes and thus far they are not assholes.  Plus Chee reminds me of my aunt who is four feet ten and only weighs around eighty pounds.

Jerry and Frank, As I said I always like to see the older racers do well.  This team is my pick to win the show (I am spoiler free, so I have no idea if they did win or not.  I try to remain spoiler free for TAR.  The Challenge, Big Brother, and Survivor not so much.).

Teams I don't like:

Will and James, I honestly cannot put a finger on why I don't like them.  They just seem like they have the potential to be villains.  One of them did make a snide remark about something but I don't remember what was said but that was my initial reason for not liking them.

Michelle and Victoria, Michelle proved tonight that beauty is only skin deep.  Man did she come across like an asshole.  I have nothing against Victoria so this is just based on how Michelle acted.

Aparna and Eswar, I was not crazy about them saying how smart they are.  Yes that is enough to get someone on my initial shit list.

The rest of the teams I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other about them.

I actually kind of liked having the intro packages throughout the episode - I didn't feel like the first 30 minutes of the show were wasted.

I don't have any teams that I have a strong affinity for as yet, although I did like Gary and DeAngelo.  I do not care for Aparna and Eswar or Leo and Alana, both teams think they are smarter than everybody else and Leo and Alana think they are so cool because they wear glasses.  It seems obvious to me that Eswar is going to "manage" his sister throughout the race and I hope I'm wrong!  I liked Rylie and Maddison but they sure seem to have a great physical advantage plus I suspect they've traveled internationally as professional volleyball players.  I understand the Olympic girl's frustration and I'm glad she stuck it out because honestly I thought she was going to quit.  Gosh those girls of things of beauty when they run though!  I thought the catfish guys were kind of nice and I was sorry they were eliminated...seriously...would it have been too much trouble to let them run until the end of the leg?

• Love 10