Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E01: One Million Miles

• Start Topic

On 10/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, AZChristian said:

Or my personal favorite, "Margaritaville."  LOL.

Or there's always The Macarena.

I thought that song was "the song" usually played on steel drums.  Yes it is stereotypical but it is also relatable.  I would have loved learning the song and playing it just because the notion you can get such great tone from something as seemingly simple as a steel drum is just so cool!

Edited by RoxiP
Random add on thought.
  • Love 3

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:10 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Unusual but not unheard of.  I remember a season (don't ask me which one, it was a long time ago) where the first country was China.  A pair of friends whose "thing" was that they were observant Muslims was the last to a check-in point (not a pit stop) and they were eliminated. Anyone else remember that?  It was the season that had the professional poker girls.  

I remember that.  I wondered how they were going to manage to work some of the requirements of their religion around the constraints of the race.  I had forgotten it was the same season as the poker players.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:20 PM, iMonrey said:

but finding out these guys cosplay at Comic Con sort of endeared them to me. 

Yeah, that was pretty cool.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 2:37 AM, Fukui San said:

I think that was TAR 10. I remember being excited that there were four teams who were minorities going into the season. Then two of those teams got eliminated in the first double episode, including the "To Be Continued" elimination. It was not the Poker Girls' season, but the season where the second bus bonded and formed the "Back Pack" alliance. The Coal Miners David and Mary and the Beauty Queens Dustin & Kandace debuted that season

Yeah, it looks like it was season 10.  There've been so many, I have trouble remembering anyone who didn't really stand out.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, MelinaBallerina said:

Ah, and another thing about this episode I thought about:  I was sad about the Catfisher's being eliminated.  Not because they were the great competitors, but mostly because I'm going to miss that Cajun Louisiana accent.  I liked listening to them

Why did I think they were from Kentucky?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:43 PM, HurricaneVal said:

They really started out with two Amazing Race classic comps: the needle in a haystack search, and the performance judgement.  I hope they hit all the classics as the race proceeds.  I hope someone's ox is broken.

Plus potentially uncooperative animals - it was the trifecta.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:18 PM, Netfoot said:

True, S8 was a horrorshow, but (at least for me) not because it was largely filmed in the US.

It was indeed a shitshow, for a lot of reasons, and for me, at least partly because they hardly got out of the US at all.  (Edited to note that I didn't think they used enough of a variety of US locations.)  But mainly because the concept of families was poorly thought-out.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:18 PM, Netfoot said:
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:26 AM, SnideAsides said:

Also I'm completely fine with the show using Day-O for the Road Block.

Was there some objection to this? 

I think it was mainly because we heard so much of it that it got stuck in some people's heads for hours.

Edited by proserpina65
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:51 PM, Jobiska said:

I was excited because I lived in Trinidad for 2 years as a child (now I sound like the Guidos).

Lol

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:12 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

I'm not at all a party person, but that Mardi Gras nighttime bacchanalia had me wanting to stuff myself in a feathered bikini, down a fruity drink, and shake my booty all night! (Again, seven months and counting.)

Hell, I haven't been in quarantine (essential worker, according to my local court system), and I still want to do that.  I love parties where I can get drunk and dance my ass off.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Why did I think they were from Kentucky?

51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Because their intro package said they were.  Although Nathan is from Tennessee.  Or at least that's where each live now.

Yes, I thought at least one of them is from Kentucky or lives there now.  In looking at the contestant list, I noticed that the father/son are also from Kentucky.  It does seem interesting to me that TAR seems to love Kentucky.  David and Mary, Mallory and her dad, Bopper and Mark ("We need to win because WE PAAAAWWWWRRRR!  But I guess God doesn't want me to win a million dollars"), and now this year's representatives.  Curious as to why there are never seemingly more contestants from other nearby states like West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi that I would think are underrepresented.

The sisters Michelle and Victoria are the ones from Louisiana, they referred to themselves as the "Cajun Asians".

• Love 2
On 10/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, HurricaneVal said:

They really started out with two Amazing Race classic comps: the needle in a haystack search, and the performance judgement.  I hope they hit all the classics as the race proceeds.  I hope someone's ox is broken.

Are you talking about the fish? I wouldn't categorize them as a 'needle in a haystack', I would call it a memory task, they had to memorize a pattern and a combination to find the right fish. The Swiss chocolates for instance- you couldn't memorize your way through that, you just had to keep biting until you found the 'odd one out', or the for real haystacks (poor Lena) you couldn't memorize which haystacks had a clue, you just had to keep trying 'til you found the one with a clue.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Are you talking about the fish? I wouldn't categorize them as a 'needle in a haystack', I would call it a memory task, they had to memorize a pattern and a combination to find the right fish. The Swiss chocolates for instance- you couldn't memorize your way through that, you just had to keep biting until you found the 'odd one out', or the for real haystacks (poor Lena) you couldn't memorize which haystacks had a clue, you just had to keep trying 'til you found the one with a clue.

I'd say it's both. People needed to remember what the colors on their fish were as well as the combination for the lock, but they also needed to search through the football field-sized area for their fish. Even people who didn't screw up the instructions or the memory part had to do some searching and hope that they were lucky enough that their fish wasn't on the complete opposite side of the search area from where they started. Memorization made the searching go faster, but it didn't eliminate it altogether.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I was actually surprised to see the numbers in the drum/pan, I thought they would have to memorize the place on the pan they were supposed to hit. 

I'm pretty sure they had the "music" in front of them, too.  Which makes it more of a rhythm and hand-eye coordination challenge than a musical one, but based on what we saw, some of those folks would still be there playing Day-O over and over again if they hadn't had some help!

• Love 1

So happy to have TAR back! I wish they'd break it into half-hour shows to make it last longer!

I don't have any clear team preferences, although I was happy with the married couple coming in first. My main observation was why did so many people wear life vests in waist-deep water?  

On 10/18/2020 at 9:25 PM, Wandering Snark said:
On 10/16/2020 at 10:42 PM, BK1978 said:

Yes, I would say Seven Nation Army would be a bit more demoralizing.

IIRC there was a musical congregation of something like 1000 for that task wasn't there? I remember I felt for them, as the fun of playing it must have ran out somewhere along the seemingly hundred times they had to play it for the contestants. That beat would really get beaten into your brain in a much less lovely way than humming dayoooo to yourself.

IIRC, there were two things that made that task hell for the musicians: first, as you said, the song had to be played over and over and over because the teams couldn't get the task right (and I'll be damned if I remember what it was), but also the teams were pretty spread out and a task that took 15-20 minutes of airtime took several hours in real time. 

3 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

IIRC, there were two things that made that task hell for the musicians: first, as you said, the song had to be played over and over and over because the teams couldn't get the task right (and I'll be damned if I remember what it was), but also the teams were pretty spread out and a task that took 15-20 minutes of airtime took several hours in real time. 

Wasn't this the one where they had to assemble a drum set? I remember Colin and Christie and Korey and Tyler doing that in a very loud setting.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

If you made fun of the Mighty Clarissa, you deserved to be admonished. She was awesome. Every once in a while I wonder how she is doing.

She is still awesome - 24 and working toward her doctorate in microbiology. Billy, 27, enlisted in the Air Force right after high school and is now in college studying electrical engineering. Their younger sister, Kelley, is getting her Master’s in forensics. 

(All reported with permission of Tammy; many of us who went to TARCon and the TARFlies lunches got to be friendly with the family. At one TARFlies lunch Carissa played the ukulele and sang Tiny Bubbles; clown Al from S4 wore the plastic coconut bra and skirt I brought from Hawai’i.)

• Love 9

I was just on Facebook and on a post for The Amazing Race, I see this post. People really need to remove the sticks from their asses.  

You would have thought that something bad happened to the goats, like TAR made them chop them up or something instead of running to the mat with them. Lighten up this dude and the other chick about the song. People just bitch about everything now.

Screenshot_20201020-212041_Facebook.jpg

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mookster said:

So happy to have TAR back! I wish they'd break it into half-hour shows to make it last longer!

With such a gaping hole in programming this fall, I'm surprised they didn't re-edit the whole season to make it twice as long.  I'm sure there's enough footage to get at least another 1/2 hour, or even an hour, out of each leg.  Seriously, who would complain about that? 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, toodywoody said:

I was just on Facebook and on a post for The Amazing Race, I see this post. People really need to remove the sticks from their asses.  

You would have thought that something bad happened to the goats, like TAR made them chop them up or something instead of running to the mat with them. Lighten up this dude and the other chick about the song. People just bitch about everything now.

Screenshot_20201020-212041_Facebook.jpg

Wow, all the things wrong with the world (and I'm not even talking about the 2020 hot buttons) and THIS is what you get your hackles up about?   How do special snowflakes that are oh so easily offended function in the world?   This is the type of person that spends their life being offended on behalf of everyone and everything else, most of whom neither want an uninformed whiner like this twit speaking for them.   No one beat the goats, no one killed a rat and ate it, no one even put a bear in a tutu and made it dance.   Get a damn life loser and stop trying to latch onto everyone else for one.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Wow, all the things wrong with the world (and I'm not even talking about the 2020 hot buttons) and THIS is what you get your hackles up about?   How do special snowflakes that are oh so easily offended function in the world?   This is the type of person that spends their life being offended on behalf of everyone and everything else, most of whom neither want an uninformed whiner like this twit speaking for them.   No one beat the goats, no one killed a rat and ate it, no one even put a bear in a tutu and made it dance.   Get a damn life loser and stop trying to latch onto everyone else for one.  

I was amazed when I saw the post. Like you said, with everything going on this person decides that the goats are being abused and bitches about it and then will not watch TAR again because they ran with goats. 

It just blows my mind how people react to things now. First it was the girl saying Phil was being condescending to her and now goats are being abused. People really need to lighten up.

• Love 8

I love when people give up something they claim to love for silly reasons, such as stopping watching the wonderful race because of your need to interceed for things that aren't being properly protected. Well, we'll just enjoy watching the Race without you I guess. What a shame...

Now onto the snark... the dude doesn't even know what DECADE we are in. Also, animals are totally her for us humans to do what we want with. It's the whole eating and domestic company relationships we have chosen to have with animals. I bet you have a cat that you play with? How's that for folly Mr. Serious?

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, toodywoody said:

I was amazed when I saw the post. Like you said, with everything going on this person decides that the goats are being abused and bitches about it and then will not watch TAR again because they ran with goats. 

It just blows my mind how people react to things now. First it was the girl saying Phil was being condescending to her and now goats are being abused. People really need to lighten up.

I wonder what he was thinking when Nat (a vegetarian herself) and Kat were eating that sheep's head, eyeballs and all.

I'm kind of impressed that Phil even responds to comments on his Twitter.  I don't use Twitter myself, but I was under the impression that most celebrities would post their pictures or quotes or whatnot and then get a rise out of seeing all their fans post adulation, but never actually respond to specific posts.  Particularly the hate posts.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I wonder what he was thinking when Nat (a vegetarian herself) and Kat were eating that sheep's head, eyeballs and all.

He is a Vegan!  Vegans are different from vegetarians. They are more haughty! 

The Macarena is South American, and only about 25 years old. Whereas the Banana Boat Song (Day-O) is of Caribbean origin, originally recorded in Trinidad over 60 ears years ago. Perhaps it was chosen because of the Trinidadian connection and also perhaps due to it's age, it was considered more traditional a song?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, chaifan said:

With such a gaping hole in programming this fall, I'm surprised they didn't re-edit the whole season to make it twice as long.  I'm sure there's enough footage to get at least another 1/2 hour, or even an hour, out of each leg.  Seriously, who would complain about that? 

Right?  They did that with Big Brother.  This season has been going on for 3 1/2 years now.

(I stopped watching about a month ago.)

• LOL 2

There are all sorts of varieties of sticks up a whole variety of asses.  That vegan goat lover has one variety.  A former coworker was a HUGE fan of TAR until the season that featured a team of lesbian Christian pastors.  To her that was an abomination she could not partake in, and she never watched her favorite show again.  I don't think it was  their homosexuality, per se, it was the combination of that with the fact that they were pastors that put her over the edge.  That's another variety of stick.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2020 at 11:17 PM, SVNBob said:

On Twitter there was.  Someone snarked on #AmazingRace that they were doing the most cliche island song possible.  Phil responded to said tweet, bringing up the costs of getting the rights to music.

7k8taid8xbt51.png

Phil should have told Antonia to look up the word condescension and what it actually means. And maybe she can look up what a dissertation is. This is what's really shitty about social media; assholes like Antonia can't be bothered to do the barest minimum of research, like say, maybe looking into what music rights are and what they cost, and instead opens her fat mouth and shows her ignorance.

And poor Phil, having to respond to such idiocy by apologizing to her when she's being the asshole. At least he did it with far more grace and class than I would have. People like Antonia are why I don't bother with social media anymore. 

Yes, @Maverick, @toodywoody, @Wandering Snark, totally agree with your posts that I just read. I don't need other people on social media, people I've never met and never will meet, telling me what to be offended by. I still get those articles sent to me occasionally, scolding me: "Everyone needs to read this immediately!" or "If you aren't crying yourself to sleep every night over what's going on, you have no soul!" Piss off, stop telling me what to feel.

I can't imagine what it must be like for some people to be offended by everything, and insist on telling everyone just how offended they are and if you are not as offended about the same things, then you're an awful person. What the hell? Who does that and what do they get out of policing others?

• Love 3

Ugh.  If someone wants to talk about environmental harm, airplane flights are exponentially worse than making goats run!  (Note, I'm not complaining about my favorite show using airplanes--it's not like they were chartering private flights that would otherwise not have run, for the most part, occasional special helicopter rides etc. aside).  But focusing on the granular like that is just so ridiculous.  

I haven't watched TAR in several seasons but this just started recording on my DVR so here I am again.  It's nice to come back to this after a break (I burn out on all these competitive reality shows after a time, probably watched 13-14 Survivor seasons, 10 Dancing with the Stars, and a dozen or so American Idols).  But TAR was always my favorite, a real live action adventure.  I hope this isn't the last, who knows when they would be able to produce another one.

47 minutes ago, Dobian said:

But TAR was always my favorite, a real live action adventure.  I hope this isn't the last, who knows when they would be able to produce another one.

I'm very worried that they won't even try to bring it back. I always thought it was problematic, in some ways, and now with the proven complication of a pandemic...  They have been in caves full of bats, been dragged through feces filled ponds, bought and ate food in open wet markets, it all just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen, and then it did. I do hope they can figure out some way to come back, but I think it will be drastically changed.

I hope the catfisher's had a nice place to wait out the race.

• Love 1