Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Best part of the show were the awkward/stone faces on BrookLyn and Chase when Michael kissed Willow goodbye (was that really necessary?!). And also Michael, your son has likely been sleeping for hours Willow doesn’t need to kiss him goodnight for you.  God these two.

Carly asking Sonny what the hell he was wearing was funny too.  I kind of like that Sonny didn’t automatically mention Nina, even when Carly said it’s no ones fault and he was like “ummm”. Best to save that convo for later.  Are they not going to make even a little drama between Sonny and Carly re Nina and Jason?  What about the fact that Sonny NEVER ONCE tried to find out who he was? Is it just all over?  How ridiculous and a waste of the last NINE MONTHS (how has it been that long??). 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Does Sonny honestly believe that Carly marrying Jason was just about the business, when he found them in his/Carly's bedroom on their wedding night?

I am hoping that once the shock of everything settles down they will address at least some of these things?  They have to….right???

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, mostlylurking said:

I am hoping that once the shock of everything settles down they will address at least some of these things?  They have to….right???

Nah. Rug, broom, sweep.

Actually, I don't even care if they do. Let's just move on. I feel like I've been having some kind of a fever dream that I can't wake up from.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Kristina comes in starts crying and hugs sonny. 
I know this should be all heart warming and emotional. I guess I'm a cold dead fish inside. 

Ha!  I’ll admit I did like the reunion with Kristina.  Kristina has grown on me. She usually tells it like it is.  

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Jax is supportive. (Jax is awesomeness). 

I don’t think I’ve liked Jax this much in years.  He’s been truly awesome lately.

• Love 11

I can't believe I'm writing this b/c I usually think he's an awful actor, but I must say I thought Michael and Kristina had the best reactions to Sonny being alive. Kristina was really good, but I thought Chad's was good too. I saw actual emotion from him and what appeared to be a tear. LOL! I was shocked! 

@tvgoddess - I'm with you when it comes to Phyllis. I feel a lot of sympathy for her. She and Lenny built that bar. Lenny even planned for its refurbishment after his death it seems, and it has burned to the ground. She should be livid w/Nina. Nina knew Peter was around and that he was a psycho, but she didn't warn Phyllis or leave NF so she couldn't be found there anymore. She never event tried to contact Leisel to see if she had found Peter. She was just happy in her delusion with "Mike." Maybe Peter would have burned it down anyway, but Nina owed Phyllis a warning. 

I'm glad to hear Chase didn't immediately offer to be friends w/Millowtonin again, but I hate they they even had any scenes together. I would have been fine w/those three NEVER interacting again. 

And why does the show think it's cute watching kids and/or teens threaten others w/mob violence? I really need Josslyn to be shot. I know it will never happen, but she needs to face some consequences for her mob love! 

I had to laugh at Jason just leaving. LOL! This idiot keeps giving up his own life and happiness for these ppl and will be in Britt's face tomorrow. Jason is a joke as a romantic lead. 

• Love 11

I liked Dante's reaction to Sonny's return, just because they are and will always be on opposite sides of the law, and it just seems to always work between those two.  That being said, Kristina knocked it out of the park with her emotional outburst, because it was how someone would really react in a situation like that.....kudos to her!

Phyllis just needs to shut her pie hole on the Nixon Falls fiasco.  She didn't even raise a finger to encourage Mike to find out his true identity.  All she did was try to get him and Nina together, come hell or high water!

• Love 5

I'm still hoping that the writers figure out how stupid this Millowtonin pairing is and fix it by having Willow seeing Chase move on (I'd rather it not be with Brook Lynn because I love their friendship, but whatever) and realize that she still loves Chase but was confused. She was distraught at the news of her son's death and transferred all of her love to Wiley without ever fully mourning and processing the death of her son.  She clung to Michael as a way to be guaranteed access to Wiley's life and thought it was love, but realizes she was wrong. Then Michael acts like the petulant child he is and tries to keep Wiley from Willow if she refuses to be with him (because that is EXACTLY something Sonny's son would do) only to be reminded she legally adopted him and has just as much a right to Wiley as Michael has.  Maybe Michael can run off with Wiley and Chase is the one to get Wiley and bring him back to Willow. Willow then goes for a reunion kiss and Chase shoots her down gently but firmly as he has moved on. Oh, and Scott can represent Willow in court and point out the Corinthii's tendency to collect children not their own.

Will any of this happen? No. But a girl can dream.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I'm pleasantly surprised that Chase didn't just go back to being hunky dory with Milquetoast Millow.  He's not holding a grudge, but he's not cool with them either.

Also, I continue to enjoy Spencer and Trina.  That boy has got it bad.  He was literally staring at her playing on her phone/fixing a drink the whole time that Joss and Esme were trading barbs.  And I'm glad that Trina was the one to figure out that Spencer and Esme were working together as the stalkers.  This is probably the best written story on the show right now.

I also found myself moved by Sonny reuniting with his kids despite not usually having much use for any of them (besides Dante).

Edited by drtslim
  • Love 7

Did Ava say where Avery was? Did she go somewhere else for "the wedding night" because Ava didn't seem to be concerned that Kristina got an urgent text from Carly to get over to the house. And why wasn't Carly calling Ava to tell her Avery's dad  was back. 

I liked the reunions except for Dante's speech.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tveyeonyou said:

I waited a day to comment on the whole Sonny thing but my initial thoughts remain the same:

Worst. Journey. Ever.

We drove for miles and miles...only to wind up at the Bates Motel.

I mean, when the payoff is a bad sitcom scene where they're all chuckling about Sonny wearing flannel...

Anyway, a few good nuggets today:

Promote Trina to Police Commissioner!  She cracked the case while Dante shrugged and told Ava and Nik to just split up.  She's a bad ass!

Nicholas is really playing Spencer crushing on Trina great.  I'm so impressed with him.

Chase and BLQ going out for "the libation of her choice."  I'm into it.  If you had told me a year ago I'd be loving Brooklyn I would've laughed, but here we are.

I usually have no use for Kristina, but she was good today.  Besides the reunion with Sonny, her scenes with Ava were excellent.  I mean, MW brings out the best in a lot of people, but her and Lexi had some really good chemistry going there.  Brava!

Oh, and the biggest LO-fucking-L of the day: Jason telling Sonny to "go be with your family" and Sonny's reply wasn't "you're family, too," but "ok, man, see ya!"  Jason should be all "what am I doing with my life?" but we know that won't happen.

• Love 17

I think that Mo and LA always had a really good father/daughter rapport and Kristina is definitely closer with Sonny than she is with Alexis. I thought her scenes with him were pretty much the highlight of the episode in terms of how they hit all the right emotional notes. And I thought that the way she played her scenes seemed to make the other actors around her emotional too. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Kristina who is never on the show & barely seen during the 9 months this storyline has played out had the most genuine & well acted reaction. Meanwhile, the rest were meh. 

Considering how thrilled they all were Carly was marrying Jason, I could almost believe they didn’t really miss him. This story is so so dumb. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Kristina who is never on the show & barely seen during the 9 months this storyline has played out had the most genuine & well acted reaction. Meanwhile, the rest were meh. 

I liked Dante’s too but I don’t think I would have bought an emotional reaction from the others no matter what they did. Carly just said she was in love with Jason on Monday, Michael’s been on a ton since Sonny died, got over his death instantly, and told Jason he always wanted Jarly together, while Joss/Sonny never had the onscreen connection for me to buy their relationship and she keeps talking about her happy her mom is. Kristina struggling with his death is much more believable since we hardly saw her to be proven wrong and she also wasn’t onscreen propping Jarly like the others. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

OMG, Carly is a PIECE OF WORK. For months: "Jason, you have to get rid of Britt! I have feelings! I don't want to be in this marriage alone with my feelings! I want you to have feelings! I need to know this is real!!" She practically demanded Jason be in love with her cuz she was in love with him. Then Sonny walks in and she literally rips off Jason's rings and has Sonny put his rings back on her. Next she will inform Jason that while she is tots back with Sonny, he will still need to be her best friend and put her first over everyone. 

Also, show was cruelly trolling me today:

Willow: "This was no ones finest hour, we just have to get past it."

Nina: "Maybe a week  ...but two, three, EIGHT months! There is no explanation for that!

Phyllis: "We can only move forward." 

FUCK YOU SHOW!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Oh, and the biggest LO-fucking-L of the day: Jason telling Sonny to "go be with your family" and Sonny's reply wasn't "you're family, too," but "ok, man, see ya!"  Jason should be all "what am I doing with my life?" but we know that won't happen.

If the show's main purpose wasn't as fanfiction for two or three actors, there'd be so much story for Jason coming to the realization that his life is a waste.  

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I usually have no use for Kristina, but she was good today.  Besides the reunion with Sonny, her scenes with Ava were excellent.  I mean, MW brings out the best in a lot of people, but her and Lexi had some really good chemistry going there.  Brava!

Her scenes with Ava were actually my favorite part of the episode. I think she was able to be civil and have a real adult conversation with her because Julian treated her like an adult. She really did like working there, and it made her proud to do so. She knows how close Ava and Julian were, so she's putting someone else's feelings ahead of her own. Bravo, Krissy. I'm proud of you. [And I agree about MW bringing out the best in people. I love her relationship with Trina as well.] LA was also excellent in her reaction to seeing Sonny. Better acted than anyone else there.

Thank god Trina is on the case and she knows what's going on. I needed forward progress on this story like 3 months ago.  I'm sure that Esme is going to end up putting her in a life and death situation, and Spencer will save her, setting up their new relationship. But I enjoy Trina so much, so if she's happy, I'm happy.

The rest? Blah. It really was All Sonny's Children today. So hard to take all the propping. And if I have to watch some kind of triangle go on between these three, I think I'd rather down a bottle of rat poison.

• Love 17

Watching those reunion scenes at Sonny's house, there wasn't a dry eye in my house. But, puking does that to you.

Okay, Kristina was the only one whose reaction made me feel one iota of anything resembling a good emotion. It probably helped that I really enjoyed her scenes with Ava.

I mean, I know this is Port Charles where people come back from the dead so frequently, but while most of the others expressed mild shock, no one else's reaction really sold me on the gut punch of seeing him actually standing there and the strong emotions that would produce.

Jason just slinking off was so pathetic, but so apt for Jason "box of pain" Morgan. I couldn't help thinking 'fuck off show' if I was supposed to feel anything for Jason going off alone on what was supposed to be his wedding night.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 7

I am DREADING the inevitable scene where Carly comes screeching up to Jason all, "Why are you avoiding ME, Jason?  I need to talk to you about how hard this is ON ME."  Ugh.

I just...being a couple with Jason, being married to him, is at the very core of Carly, it's just so unbelievable she would turn her back on it this quickly.  But we also know there's no way the show will have Jason and Carly cheat behind Sonny's back.  So...why is this story, W-H-Y.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Daisy said:
4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

No, she said “what are you wearing?”

she mentioned the smoke yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

BTW, for all the laughs about “what are you wearing?” why did no one notice Sonny stunk of smoke?  

Its not that he would smell of smoke he would reek!! After sitting around a campfire I can't bring my coat in the house. If I was Jax I wouldn't have wanted Sonny stinking up my car and my plane, now he is stinking up their house., literally this time.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Next she will inform Jason that while she is tots back with Sonny, he will still need to be her best friend and put her first over everyone. 

And he will. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Love 3

So Sonny’s insisting that all this time he had this nagging feeling that something was missing, and he wanted to know who he was but kept getting distracted or some such bullshit. Is Sonny just lying to himself now, so he doesn’t feel guilty about sucking face with Nina? Or are we supposed to believe this is true, and all the times we saw “Mike” stubbornly refusing to learn his identity never happened?

Because if we sat through 9 months of Nixon Falls Hell only to have it all retconned in a single episode, the writers must really hate us.

I don’t know why Phyllis is blaming everything on Nina. She didn’t set the fire. She didn’t ask Peter to tie her to the train tracks and giggle maniacally before running away. How is this Nina’s fault? Oh yeah, because it’s her turn to take the fall. For EVERYTHING. I bet she’s responsible for Drew’s incarceration, too. 

• Love 9

The dumb thing about Jason is, he HAS a family. Jake, Danny, and Scout (I know she's not his bio daughter, but she lives with one of his kids). Yet the show makes little to no connection to them unless it's for a plot point. You'd think this might be a time for reflection on Jason's part. You'd think wrong.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The dumb thing about Jason is, he HAS a family. Jake, Danny, and Scout (I know she's not his bio daughter, but she lives with one of his kids). Yet the show makes little to no connection to them unless it's for a plot point. You'd think this might be a time for reflection on Jason's part. You'd think wrong.

Michael is the only bio family that Jason has ever cared about.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t know why Phyllis is blaming everything on Nina. She didn’t set the fire. She didn’t ask Peter to tie her to the train tracks and giggle maniacally before running away. How is this Nina’s fault? Oh yeah, because it’s her turn to take the fall. For EVERYTHING. I bet she’s responsible for Drew’s incarceration, too. 

I don't think she's blaming everything on Nina. Nina lied to her and Lenny for months on end. She was completely deceitful. For a woman like Phyllis, I imagine that's extremely important to her. Nina was her friend, she trusted her. Does Nina have a few screws loose? Probably. But in the aftermath of the fire, I'd be shocked if Phyllis wasn't (rightfully) pissed off. I'm glad someone is allowed to be angry about something on this show besides Sonny. Do you think that Phyllis would be trying to get Nina and Mike together if she knew that Nina was lying about who he was and knew it all along? Nina doesn't know Carly at all (lucky woman). She's looking at it from her perspective, that a husband was kept from his wife and a father from his children. All so Nina could keep him all to herself? Selfish.

As for Peter, no of course it's not Nina's fault that he set the fire. But Nina carried all this baggage with her from PC to NF. If she had been honest and forthcoming about everything, then the events that led to the fire may have been avoided. 

• Love 3
On 8/23/2021 at 10:46 PM, ffwbe said:

If they are writing him on the spectrum, he’s probably supposed to be high functioning so it’s not always easy to pick up on when they are younger. Nothing today except his lack of reaction to Sam seemed out of the ordinary to me and I just thought he was being rude at first (also forgot they are siblings). He was interacting with Olivia and Dante. 

It can take quiet a while - my nephew was like that - it is ordinary kid stuff for a while, until he gets to an age where you can tell something is different.

17 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I can't wait for the entire town to do a 180 and proclaim how "selfless" it was for Carly and Jason to wed "for strictly appearance purposes."  

Why did they bother with making it more than an MOC?  Yesterday it seemed like they may as well not have bothered with that.  Maybe there is more coming up.  

• Love 4
Just now, sugarbaker design said:

So Julian's bar is up for sale, and Phyllis's place just burned to the ground.  Could Charlie's become Phyl's?

I can see Nina buying it to assuage her guilt but why would a nurse leave her hometown just to run a business that she has been shown to be completely useless at.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So Julian's bar is up for sale, and Phyllis's place just burned to the ground.  Could Charlie's become Phyl's?

3 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I can see Nina buying it to assuage her guilt but why would a nurse leave her hometown just to run a business that she has been shown to be completely useless at.

Lenny was the one running it. Phyllis is a nurse. When Mooby had amnesia, wasn't he going to run the bar? So unless Phyllis will be joining the staff at the hospital, her character has run its course.

• Love 1
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lenny was the one running it. Phyllis is a nurse. When Mooby had amnesia, wasn't he going to run the bar? So unless Phyllis will be joining the staff at the hospital, her character has run its course.

there are people saying that Phyllis should move to Port Charles and work at GH (and they are like "and it's obvious Portia is Phyllis's daughter.") so i guess if they want her to stay.....

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, nilyank said:

3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Darn, I had no idea Phyl was a nurse.  No Phyl's Bar & Grill, I guess.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Honestly it made me laugh when he told Michael how getting to be his father for that year was the greatest joy of his life considering we’ve been hit over the head how much of a deadbeat he’s been to Jake and Danny. However, I’ve always thought Jason relationship with Michael was overstated. 

Jason exited out of Michael’s life and disappeared as soon as Sonny slept with Carly so he abandoned Michael too. A lot of the early Sonny/Michael bonding and parenting was set up due to the fact that Sonny felt guilt that Michael didn’t have Jason anymore because of what he did. Jason just always got super slanted writing. He nobly gave his family to Sonny, had his box of pain for Jake. He’s long been a deadbeat that truly doesn’t want the responsibility over anyone. I think Kristina was spot on about Jason only wanting to be there for hero moments but not the day to day, even with Michael. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

there are people saying that Phyllis should move to Port Charles and work at GH (and they are like "and it's obvious Portia is Phyllis's daughter.") so i guess if they want her to stay.....

Why is it obvious that Portia is Phyllis' daughter? I must have missed something! I don't watch every day, so maybe something happened that I didn't see. However, I do read here almost every day and I don't remember that being mentioned. Not trying to be argumentative,  really curious!

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Why is it obvious that Portia is Phyllis' daughter? I must have missed something! I don't watch every day, so maybe something happened that I didn't see. However, I do read here almost every day and I don't remember that being mentioned. Not trying to be argumentative,  really curious!

I don’t think she is considering Portia mentioned how both of her parents are doctors. I think Phyllis was supposed to be Stella’s sister that she mentioned having that feud with which would also make her related to Curtis. 

• Love 4

I like the Charlie's set, so I wouldn't mind having that around again.  Does the show need Phyllis as a character?  No, but when has that stopped them.  I'd say it might be a point of interest for her to see, and be horrified, by "Mike" in Sonny mode, but she'll just become another apologist like 99% of the town.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I like the Charlie's set, so I wouldn't mind having that around again.  Does the show need Phyllis as a character?  No, but when has that stopped them.  I'd say it might be a point of interest for her to see, and be horrified, by "Mike" in Sonny mode, but she'll just become another apologist like 99% of the town.

She might act as Sonny's moral compass as he settles back into his life, and if the show cared about Kristina, she would connect with Phyllis, and learn about "Mike" and the kind of man her father could be. I like the actress, but I don't think there's enough to her character to really add anything to the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

i dunno either LOL
I guesss because Phyllis isn't close to her daughter and we don't know about Portia's family i suppose. 

13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She really did, and it felt like she deserved this moment of joy.  Kristina has been through a really rough time: her alcoholic mother went to court and then to prison for stabbing her brother Dante with a syringe meant for Franco, in one night both her boss Julian (with whom she had a good working relationship) died and her dad was presumed dead, she got to be in propping/supportive role in Molly and TJ officially becoming "domestic partners" on Valentine's Day, and Sam made it clear on at least one occasion that Kristina is expected to stay with Danny and Scout indefinitely while she is out and about playing "PI Sam." 

LA did a great job with Kristina truth-telling to Sam about Jason a little while before Sam broke up with Jason.   I think she deserves to be the one to confront Nina, spelling out the agony of thinking her father was dead all these months when she needed him while Nina ran away from life in Port Charles and lived a twisted fantasy with him.  Kristina doesn't have any mixed emotions on this, unlike Carly. I assume that Carly will soon tell Jason she's in love with him but still loves Sonny, and she doesn't know what to do and it's all Nina's fault. 

I also assume when their family finds out about "NIna and Mike's love" and Nina withholding the truth from Sonny for so long, the focus will be entirely on how heartbreakingly hard this time has been on Carly and Michael with maybe a dash of poor little Donna doesn't remember her daddy.

Sidenote: @GHScorpiosRule you really need to see SBu/Jason's shocked!pikachu face when Sonny walks in the bedroom.  it's too funny, and IMO the best reaction after how Kristina sobbed and embraced Sonny. Carly, Dante, Michael and Joss acted like he had escaped from months of being a prisoner in a camp overseas whose living or deceased status was unknown.  Such an underwhelming reunion!!

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Sidenote: @GHScorpiosRule you really need to see SBu/Jason's shocked!pikachu face when Sonny walks in the bedroom.  it's too funny, and IMO the best reaction after how Kristina sobbed and embraced Sonny.

Oh, I plan to. I've got the episodes queued up from Last Friday. I've been slammed at work, so haven't been able to watch this. Other shows I'd rather watch to relax.

Oh, how I wish we could know what Kimberly McCullough thinks about this trashing of Robin and Jason's relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2