Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

It was nice...the only thing I thought was weird was the first guest bathroom that didn't have a sink in it (maybe no room?)

5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Why in the world wouldn’t they have put that nice fireplace in the living area?  Why in the world wouldn’t they have put a sink in the guest bathroom?  Why in the world would you put all of your shoes in the living room?  I’m so confused. 🤔

Someone asked about the sink in the guest bathroom in the Comments Section on You Tube & Joy answered there IS a sink.

BTW someone also asked where the new baby will go & Joy said it will stay with her & Austin at first and then move in with Gideon. 

I think they changed rooms around. Their living room has two outside doors, one by the dining table & another one on the side by one of the shoe collections. I'm thinking the one on the side could have been an original kitchen door by the style.

I think the guest room was the original living room because of the fireplace.  That room also had an outside door which was probably the original front door.  Maybe the bath in that room (the one Joy said they are using til theirs get done) was a coat closet & they enlarged it to make it into a bath.  One of the commentors asked why they didn't make the fireplace room the master bedroom but Joy didn't  answer.

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Someone asked about the sink in the guest bathroom in the Comments Section on You Tube & Joy answered there IS a sink.

BTW someone also asked where the new baby will go & Joy said it will stay with her & Austin at first and then move in with Gideon. 

I think they changed rooms around. Their living room has two outside doors, one by the dining table & another one on the side by one of the shoe collections. I'm thinking the one on the side could have been an original kitchen door by the style.

I think the guest room was the original living room because of the fireplace.  That room also had an outside door which was probably the original front door.  Maybe the bath in that room (the one Joy said they are using til theirs get done) was a coat closet & they enlarged it to make it into a bath.  One of the commentors asked why they didn't make the fireplace room the master bedroom but Joy didn't  answer.

I agree they repurposed their rooms. What confuses me is the front door/back door. Joy clearly called one of the doors in the living room, the front door. Does anyone know if they live on a typical street? Or some random lot that doesn't actually face a street?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I like the living and dining area, but that collection of shoes behind the couch would drive me crazy. If they're not something you wear on the regular, stash them in the closet. 

I wonder if that's a regionalism? Back in college, I dated a guy from the South and that's what he called bedroom furniture as well. 

I'm from the south and have two masters degrees and I say bedroom suit. Definitely a regional thing,  y'all. 

• Love 19

I watched the video without sound (too lazy to put on my headphones and didn't want to disturb Mr. BetyBee) and came away with two impressions. 1. Gideon is adorable! 2. Austin looked so weird for the longest time, staring up at the camera, I guess, but saying nothing. 

The house looks okay. I think the shoes by the door indicates that they don't wear them in the house. I have no problem with that!  They seem happy.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SoupyShoes said:

I'm from the south and have two masters degrees and I say bedroom suit. Definitely a regional thing,  y'all. 

Yeah, I'm from the South and have a master's degree in English and call it a bedroom suit. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it a suite and would be weirded out if they did. LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I thought it looked nice and tidy and fairly uncluttered.  I hate that fundies all abhor artwork on their walls.  Wedding and pregnant photos only!

Don't forget the signs that say "Gather" ,"Blessed" and so on... 😉

When I lived in the Allentown, PA area, my neighbor called it a bedroom "suit" too.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In my area suit and suite mean two (or more) different things. I have never heard anyone call a grouping of anything a suit before.

How about a suit of cards? I've always wondered if that might be where it comes from....

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, louannems said:

I thought it looked nice and tidy and fairly uncluttered.  I hate that fundies all abhor artwork on their walls.  Wedding and pregnant photos only!

i don't know that this is specific to fundies. when my daughter was house hunting a few years back every single house had giant photos of their wedding, the pregnancy bump pics, the skin to skin newborn and mom pics, etc. also had the large letters in every nursery spelling out the kid's name.

we still laugh about seeing birth announcement cards on refrigerators in houses with same pics we had seen in someone else's house we looked at.

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Isn't it a deck of cards? Cards with different suits.

Yes, but there are four suits of cards in a deck......Often that's just said as "four suits," I suppose. But "suits of cards" and "suit of cards" have been used for a long time. I've seen it as a crossword puzzle clue, as well as in other places. 

Since that means all the cards that go together to make up a full specific group of the cards, like the hearts, it seems analogous enough to me for people to borrow it to refer to a specific group of furniture.

Just like the suit we call hearts matches and functions together, so do the pieces of furniture in your dining room suit match and work together. And the dining room suit is one cohesive part of the furniture in your house just like hearts is one cohesive suit in a deck of cards. 

..... That may not be how the usage developed, but I think that gets at the meaning, doesn't it? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if that's a regionalism? Back in college, I dated a guy from the South and that's what he called bedroom furniture as well. 

It definitely is, I've heard it used by different people here in Ohio, including a friend whose family owned a furniture store and they referred to dining suits, bedroom suits and living room suits.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I see the term suite as a group of items related by proximity.  In a hotel suite, the bedroom, bathroom, living room and closet for example, make up the suite.  Each has a separate function, but are physically connected.  You can't separate a suite. 

A suit seems to be a group related by common attributes, like color or material,  A bedroom suit, for example.  You can separate the components, maybe by putting them in different rooms, but they still are a related group. 

Beats me what's correct, I'm a southerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites".   *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, leighdear said:

I see the term suite as a group of items related by proximity.  In a hotel suite, the bedroom, bathroom, living room and closet for example, make up the suite.  Each has a separate function, but are physically connected.

A suit seems to be a group related by common attributes, liker color or material,  A bedroom suit, for example.  You can separate the components, maybe by putting them in different rooms, but they still are a related group. 

Beats me, I'm a southerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites". 

I'm a northerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites". 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Suit of cards connects the two, but no one that I know uses the word suit when referring to a group of furniture or rooms.

It's very regional.

I never heard "suite of furniture" until I left my home and moved to another state. 

They're two slightly different words that, in the case of furniture, are used to mean the exact same thing by people in different regions. It's no different from "lightning bug" vs. "firefly," as far as I can tell. Or "hoagie," "submarine," etc. And many many many more regional words.

A suit of cards -- a dining room suit

The Nutcracker Suite -- a dining room suite.

How could you possible decide whether one of these is somehow a "correct" word usage while the other is a wrong one? In both cases, the usage is in some ways analogous to other usages of the same word and in some ways not.  

It's two slightly different words that evolved to mean the same thing in different localities. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Suit of cards connects the two, but no one that I know uses the word suit when referring to a group of furniture or rooms.

That's because you live in a region that uses the other word! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

All of the curtains etc aren’t heavy enough, there’s way too much light coming through them. Everything else is blah. If they changed the shower to a stall shower, they could have fit in a bathroom vanity, but they didn’t, so the guest bathroom remains gross. Room for another pair of washer and dryers? Why?

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's very regional.

I never heard "suite of furniture" until I left my home and moved to another state. 

They're two slightly different words that, in the case of furniture, are used to mean the exact same thing by people in different regions. It's no different from "lightning bug" vs. "firefly," as far as I can tell. Or "hoagie," "submarine," etc. And many many many more regional words.

A suit of cards -- a dining room suit

The Nutcracker Suite -- a dining room suite.

How could you possible decide whether one of these is somehow a "correct" word usage while the other is a wrong one? In both cases, the usage is in some ways analogous to other usages of the same word and in some ways not.  

It's two slightly different words that evolved to mean the same thing in different localities. 

Yup...I think it's the similar spelling and semi-connected definition which throws everyone off. It's kind of like Jill R with her "in suite  (or was it "on suite"?) bathroom". Though, in that case, I think it's less a regionalism, since it's pronounced basically the same, and just a lack of spelling skills. Sometimes we just look for things to snark on with these people, and once in a while, it turns out that they don't really deserve it...but then again, in most cases, it turns out that they actually do.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's very regional.

It is! I'm here shaking my head in confusion because around here it is neither a suit nor a suite but a set. As in "I don't know how I feel about buying the new living room set on-line". 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
39 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

It is! I'm here shaking my head in confusion because around here it is neither a suit nor a suite but a set. As in "I don't know how I feel about buying the new living room set on-line". 

LOL....you are actually spot-on as far as I am concerned. We do mostly use "set". but "suite" doesn't sound quite as much out of left field as "suit" does.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7
(edited)
32 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I think this kind of thing must partly result from the very big rich vocabulary English has developed, from being a sort of magpie language.  We have many groups of words that essentially mean the same thing.... When you really look at it, "set," "suit," and "suite" all have the same core meaning -- a group of things that in some way go together to make a whole. .....

Set absolutely means that. And it's why you have on a three-piece "suit" instead of just slacks and a sports jacket. And a hotel "suite" is a group of rooms that you rent all together and The Nutcracker Suite is a bunch of different songs that fit neatly together as one big performance. 

Some words strike people as being more upscale and better than others. So as @jynnantonnix noted, when we hear a Duggar use one, we often want to say that that's the low-class, incorrect, uneducated-person's word. But that's not always so. These three words all clearly mean the same thing, just with slightly different shadings.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if their dog lives outside? I didn't notice a bed or food dishes in the kitchen or living area. Hopefully it has a proper shelter. 

That I notice is a Southern thing that dogs live outside. The dog does look well cared for in pictures so I'm not worried.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, BetyBee said:

I watched the video without sound (too lazy to put on my headphones and didn't want to disturb Mr. BetyBee) and came away with two impressions. 1. Gideon is adorable! 2. Austin looked so weird for the longest time, staring up at the camera, I guess, but saying nothing. 

The house looks okay. I think the shoes by the door indicates that they don't wear them in the house. I have no problem with that!  They seem happy.

When Austin was staring at the camera, all I could think was that he was messing with Joy, waiting to see how long it would take her to ask what he was doing. It seemed like something very normal for a guy his age.... or even a guy twice his age. LOL! 

• Love 1

I actually liked the little shoe bench. Most of our shoes are upstairs and there's no room for them in our hall closet, so we have them piled up by our couch. A bench on the main floor would actually be a really great idea for my family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy's 20—ish week ultrasounds.

She lost the last pregnancy at 25 weeks, is that right? As a human, I hope this goes well for them. As a person thinking about the prospective J-slave 2.0, I am less saunguine.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

She lost the last pregnancy at 25 weeks, is that right? As a human, I hope this goes well for them. As a person thinking about the prospective J-slave 2.0, I am less saunguine.

She lost the last one at 20 weeks. She's one week past currently where she lost the last one. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

While it wasn't my taste, I thought they did a nice job with the house. I am so used to seeing couples with a toddler and another child on the way who are way older than they are, so I naturally assume they are in their late 20's, which of course they are not. For a couple their age, I think they should be proud of what they have done with the house.

I have to get one last word with the suit/suite discussion. I grew up learning that suite was short for the term "en suite", which refers to a bathroom connected to a bedroom. The French term became anglicized and the "en" was dropped, and the original meaning of bathroom and bedroom was expanded to include other rooms as well. I'm assuming "suit" is a regional pronunciation of "suite", just as "route" can be pronounced "root" or "rout", depending on where you live.

• Love 1

I'm not usually overly symbolic, but in the first picture it looks like a butterfly is on the baby's nose. Given what butterflies symbolize, and the loss of their first daughter, I found that oddly touching. For their sake and probably Joy's mental health, I hope everything goes well with this pregnancy. I wish them nothing but God's grace when it come to this situation. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Tasya said:

I'm not usually overly symbolic, but in the first picture it looks like a butterfly is on the baby's nose. Given what butterflies symbolize, and the loss of their first daughter, I found that oddly touching. For their sake and probably Joy's mental health, I hope everything goes well with this pregnancy. I wish them nothing but God's grace when it come to this situation. 

yes...my mom lost a baby years and years ago...  she is now  80 and still sometimes talks about it...I do pray also for a healthy baby for them...

• Love 4
18 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why is this posted for millions of complete strangers???

From someone without kids: not gonna lie, most sonogram photos looks the same to me. 

• Love 19

Once again these people, who have been blatantly ignoring social distancing, come off good hiding behind their cute kid. These are some of the worst fundies, because they make fundamentalism look good. 

• Love 7

I would have put the larger box further back in the yard. It looks like they have a large yard so wonder why they put it so close to the house? Did Joy take into consideration the sun's location when deciding where the box would be or how much sun the plants she bought needed?  I doubt it or she would have mentioned it. Sounds like she got what Jana recommended.

I've tried to repot plants inside before but no matter how careful I am, dirt ends up where its not supposed to be. I understand the newly planted seeds can't be outside yet but she could have planted the seeds outside & then brought the container inside.  Much less mess especially having to deal with Giddyup at the same time. 

• Love 3
On 4/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, Temperance said:

Once again these people, who have been blatantly ignoring social distancing, come off good hiding behind their cute kid. These are some of the worst fundies, because they make fundamentalism look good. 

I think out of the married Duggars, they look among the worst. They are fortunate that the second pregnancy ended tragically and people have been tiptoeing around them as a result, otherwise they would be facing the same amount of backlash as the rest of the Duggars.

• Love 8