Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

All parents take pictures like that. Sometimes you just have to laugh. Boys will be boys. The milk has already been spilled, might as well get a pic. Anyone saying anything must not have kids.

I have a picture of my kid, she was about the same age, I don't remember how but we had a container of flour sitting on the floor and she got into it. In my defense I took a picture because at that point the damage was done, she was not in danger because she was on the ground, and frankly every time it comes up in my time hop we laugh over it now. Now milk, I would have been upset about milk because it gets gross when it dries up and he's still in the middle of spilling it.

• Love 10
On 5/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sew Sumi said:

She's as big as a full term Bates girl. I feel for her; she's going to be huge again.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Nysha said:

I can't imagine it's fun to be 'big pregnant' during the summer in Arkansas.

She'd better get used to it. Austin will keep her pregnant until she can't have babies anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

she actually looks pretty darn good considering how big she carries.  maybe chasing after giddy is helping her to stay in a bit better shape this time?

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, zoomama said:

she actually looks pretty darn good considering how big she carries.  maybe chasing after giddy is helping her to stay in a bit better shape this time?

She still has more than 3 months to go.

• Love 5

I'm attaching a picture of my own gravid belly a week before delivering an 11 lb baby for context. Women who have large babies get the privelege of hearing constant commentary about how huge they are. I looked like I had inflated a beach ball under my shirt. I think Joy looks good, and I hope that this pregnancy goes well and she and the baby are healthy.

20200506_190419.jpg

• Love 22

Wow!

i sincerely hope that you weren’t that pregnant in the summertime!

i was a 10 pounder and my mom’s first (and only) pregnancy. She was 40... 

... I still feel guilty. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Wow!

i sincerely hope that you weren’t that pregnant in the summertime!

i was a 10 pounder and my mom’s first (and only) pregnancy. She was 40... 

... I still feel guilty. 

I delivered her in early November, thankfully. However, that whole summer I had strangers telling me I was "about to pop" and asking if it was twins. 

I hope that Joy gets to enjoy her pregnancy and giant belly. I also hope that, if she has another huge baby, she hears tons of compliments and can tune out all of the gross comments that often come along with big newborns.

• Love 14
On 5/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, CalicoKitty said:

How is that stool not flipping over?  He is right a the edge.

That was my first thought. If that stool had tipped over he would have smashed his head on  the granite. It makes me ill just thinking about what could have happened. 

• Love 13

I barely showed with my son and daughter. Even at 9 months, I was pretty small. But with the twins, I was huge. Joy looks huge already. I wonder how big this baby is going to be? How big was Giddy? 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I barely showed with my son and daughter. Even at 9 months, I was pretty small. But with the twins, I was huge. Joy looks huge already. I wonder how big this baby is going to be? How big was Giddy? 

IIRC, Giddy was close to 10 lbs. I suspected undiagnosed gestational diabetes because Joy admitted that she ate tons of Chick fill A and other junk. All she saw was some midwife with Jill's training, and I got the feeling that Joy didn't take her pregnancy that seriously. She was still in the "playing house" stage of her marriage.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

If I remember right, Joy also looked rough during her pregnancy with Giddy. Really sallow and drawn and just exhausted. She  clearly was having a hard time. This looks like a MUCH easier pregnancy. I guess that’s a good thing, since she’s going to spend her life barefoot and pregnant no matter how much it hurts.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy looked awful when the moms came over to make casseroles. She was tired and bloated. Poor thing. I hope later pregnancy is kinder to her this time around.

37 minutes ago, rue721 said:

If I remember right, Joy also looked rough during her pregnancy with Giddy. Really sallow and drawn and just exhausted. She  clearly was having a hard time. This looks like a MUCH easier pregnancy. I guess that’s a good thing, since she’s going to spend her life barefoot and pregnant no matter how much it hurts.

IIRC Joy also had a hard time recovering from Giddy's C-Section.  I remember her saying she  recuperated in bed or was off her feet & Austin had to do everything for a few weeks.  She looked wiped out in the newborn pictures of Giddy.  I didn't think about it then but maybe her rough pregnancy had something to do with her recovery. 

• Love 8

Gideon was 10 pounds 3 ounces at birth. He was the biggest Duggar grandbaby at birth according to Duggar Data. I was surprised it wasn't one of the Dillard boys, but Dillard boys both weighed 9 lbs 10 oz at birth. Spurgeon was 9 lbs 11 oz at birth. Those boys are the four biggest Duggar babies. 

(so far)

• Useful 5
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Gideon was 10 pounds 3 ounces at birth. He was the biggest Duggar grandbaby at birth according to Duggar Data. I was surprised it wasn't one of the Dillard boys, but Dillard boys both weighed 9 lbs 10 oz at birth. Spurgeon was 9 lbs 11 oz at birth. Those boys are the four biggest Duggar babies. 

(so far)

None of the granddaughters (i.e., Ivy, Felicity, etc.) appear to be particularly big babies at birth compared to some of the grandsons. So I wouldn't be surprised if baby #2 is smaller than Gideon.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I remember even the crappy, fake midwife was concerned about Joy's diet. From the looks of it, Joy is taking her health much more seriously this time around. 

I would hope so, and I also hope she's getting real medical care and plans to deliver this baby in a hospital. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I would hope so, and I also hope she's getting real medical care and plans to deliver this baby in a hospital. 

I hope so. I wonder if she's going to try for a VBAC, or she's going to have a csection. 

• Love 4
On 5/5/2020 at 4:46 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Can anyone explain the thought process of taking a picture of this instead of rushing over to both get him off the stool and grabbing the nearest roll of paper towels?

Remains unclear whether the term "thought process" can be applied to anything done by a Duggar. Ever. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
On 5/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, CalicoKitty said:

How is that stool not flipping over?  He is right a the edge.

He's not yet heavy enough, I suppose. Wait a few pounds for him to climb up again and it will....And then in falling he'll hit his head on the counter, which is made of stone. 

Call me paranoid, but the idea of placing a bunch of sharp-edged stone slabs around the house for little kids and old people (among others) to fall and crack open their heads on has always made me crazy. I know you can get hurt on other materials, too. But the fear of what stone can do has made me eternally resist stone counters. One reason I'm a non-trendy decorator. 

• Love 6

Anything is a hazard in the right circumstances.  My aunt passed out, and as she fell, she clipped her chin on the edge of the table and broke her neck.  She was dead instantly.  No protecting anyone from that kind of situation.  She always had freak accidents, though--one time a pay phone fell off a wall and crushed her.

Getting back to the Duggars, having a c-section isn't the worst thing in the world.  I had three of them with no problems.  Joy could try for a VBAC, but if her baby gets too big, she may be "encouraged" to have another c-section.

(Sorry--I am plagued by random empty spoiler boxes!)

Spoiler

• Love 6
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I hope so. I wonder if she's going to try for a VBAC, or she's going to have a csection. 

We could probably guess if we knew who was doing her prenatal care.  If she is seeing a lay midwife, then she is probably planning a trial of labor and birth at home.  I say this because lay midwives are the only ones whose professional organization is ok with VBAC outside the hospital and a CNM or doctor who went along with this plan could lose their board certification or otherwise be disciplined.  Also,  if she was going to skip labor and just have another cesarean, the lay midwife would need a close relationship with an OB/GYN who has hospital privileges and could schedule and perform the C/S.  Aside from the fact that most lay midwives do not have these contacts, it would complicate the billing for prenatal care if the midwife didn't do the delivery.  If she sees a lay midwife, she cannot  just show up at the hospital on her chosen day and tell them she wants a cesarean done ASAP.  There are schedules, staffing, equipment and a lot of other things that go into scheduled surgeries and most scheduled C/S are scheduled weeks or months in advance.

I presume, like Jill, Joy will labor at home with a semi qualified caregiver (or Jill) and end up in the hospital for another cesarean when things don't work out.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

In their original announcement, Joy said she had some bleeding with this pregnancy.  She said she saw a doctor, because they worried this was a bad sign for the pregnancy. Fortunately by the time of the announcement, this had passed and the pregnancy is fine.

Now with Jill, I seem to recall that it is illegal for anyone with medical training to attend a VBAC at home and that seems to include lay midwives. There are added risks with VBACs and the law is meant to protect women from an especially risky homebirth.

Childbirth is always dangerous and potentially deadly. Joy and Austin are dumb, but hopefully not dumb enough to have a homebirth this time. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, magpye29 said:

Anything is a hazard in the right circumstances.  My aunt passed out, and as she fell, she clipped her chin on the edge of the table and broke her neck.  She was dead instantly.  No protecting anyone from that kind of situation.  She always had freak accidents, though--one time a pay phone fell off a wall and crushed her.

Getting back to the Duggars, having a c-section isn't the worst thing in the world.  I had three of them with no problems.  Joy could try for a VBAC, but if her baby gets too big, she may be "encouraged" to have another c-section.

(Sorry--I am plagued by random empty spoiler boxes!)

Reveal spoiler

I had a neighbor die the same way. Hit her head on the table died instantly.

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Someone from reddit went to the family camp in 2015

Pubic School is bad, bad, bad. Good on Jill for listening to Derick on that one.

Jessa's a bitch (duh), Ben is nice.

JB&M are crazy (also duh).

I had a pretty good laugh about the banjo comment. I've never been around where the camp is, but my grandmother and I have made Deliverance jokes while driving around other parts of Madison County. It's out in the sticks. Especially compared to the TTH, despite what JB and Michelle would have you believe about their alleged little house on the prairie existence. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

The story has gone now, does anyone have a link to it or a summary of what it said? Thanks.

Weird that it disappeared-maybe the mods are waiting on verification?

In any case, from what I remember when I read it yesterday:

-Meech stares at Jim Bob like a crazy person.

-Jessa is aloof bordering on mean

-Ben is super friendly

-Duggars hate public school, all music, and pants. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

The story has gone now, does anyone have a link to it or a summary of what it said? Thanks.

@questionfear's summary is pretty comprehensive. It wasn't a super in-depth Reddit thing. She also said it was in fall of 2015, so post-Josh revelations, and that they seemed pretty shaken over it but more so over being caught/outed than anything. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't realize that the Seewalds attended Family Camp after they were married. I figured they'd follow whatever religion Ben followed after the demise of Vision Forum.

What religion DOES Bin follow?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't realize that the Seewalds attended Family Camp after they were married. I figured they'd follow whatever religion Ben followed after the demise of Vision Forum.

He didn’t mention his parents, it was just already married Been and Jessa.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

He didn’t mention his parents, it was just already married Been and Jessa.

Yeah, I realize they were already married. Jessa would have been big pregnant with Spurge.

• Love 1