Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Madtown said:

7 pictures and one video. Gideon is too adorable and his laugh in video is priceless!

Gideon is every bit as cute as Jessa's boys.  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him where he wasn't looking happy.  

• Love 19

It's telling that yesterday was Gideon's second birthday. If things had worked out differently, he would be a big brother already. Gideon is a honeymoon baby so Joy and Austin will be married three years in May. They have been through so much. Joy had a difficult labor and then a c-section. Then she got pregnant again and had a loss.  That's a lot to go through in such a small span of time, and Gideon's birthday reminds how short timespan it was. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Joy and Austin seem to be holding things together well. I do wonder how the stillbirth affected them. Austin seems to be a lot more relaxed these days, but that could be just for the 'gram. Always hard to say.

Giddy is one of those kids that would thrive in pre-school and kindergarten. It's too much to ask for but I hope he gets to go. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Joy and Austin seem to be holding things together well. I do wonder how the stillbirth affected them. Austin seems to be a lot more relaxed these days, but that could be just for the 'gram. Always hard to say.

Giddy is one of those kids that would thrive in pre-school and kindergarten. It's too much to ask for but I hope he gets to go. 

I don't think Austin has it in him to fake it for the 'gram.  The way he was reading the book to Gideon and making animal noises made me think they do this often.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think Austin has it in him to fake it for the 'gram.  The way he was reading the book to Gideon and making animal noises made me think they do this often.  

Austin certainly didn’t hide his disgust during the THs. Dude didn’t even bother to try to crack a smile. Austin didn’t want to be on camera and would not talk at times. The price of marrying a Duggar is voluntarism. 

• Love 4
On 2/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Gideon is every bit as cute as Jessa's boys.  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him where he wasn't looking happy.  

I have to say Ive always been relieved Giddy is such a happy child, considering that Austin thinks the Pearls are a-okay and the Pearls think unhappiness is defiance. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SMama said:

Austin certainly didn’t hide his disgust during the THs. Dude didn’t even bother to try to crack a smile. Austin didn’t want to be on camera and would not talk at times. The price of marrying a Duggar is voluntarism. 

Well, he could decide to opt out of the show, but then they probably wouldn’t have their house. So much for him supporting himself separate from the freak show.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I have to say Ive always been relieved Giddy is such a happy child, considering that Austin thinks the Pearls are a-okay and the Pearls think unhappiness is defiance. 

So unhappiness is trained out of them! That explains a lot. Especially about the Pearls, who always seem happy despite their upbringing. 

11 hours ago, SMama said:

He could go talk to his brother-in-law Derick Dillard about the top 10 ways to ensure TLC will not ask you back for the next season. 

However it seems to come with a serving of not being allowed at the TTH without permission and a pinch of saltiness on Twitter.  

Granted the ending may be Joy wearing pants and getting 80 different piercings. Gideon gets to go to public school where he learns about evolution.

Ehhh... If anyone has better fan fic as to what would happen if Austin enrolled in the Derick Dillard Academy of Pissing Of Your In-laws And Conducting Twitter Meltdowns, have at it. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

Apparently, Joy and Austin have a YouTube channel. In today's video, she wouldn't admit that she is pregnant, just giving the standard "open to whatever the Lord gives" line. So, if she is, it looks like they're going to hold off on announcing until she can no longer hide it. Expect a lot of close-ups from her in upcoming weeks. 

• Useful 11

I think that their party line of "whatever the Lord blesses us with" forces them to be ready at any time. And be joyous about it, even if they don't feel ready yet. I watched the video, and they seemed matter of fact about it. 

Austin's also claiming to be a "commercial contractor." A little digging has revealed that he doesn't have a contractor's license of any sort.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Austin's also claiming to be a "commercial contractor." A little digging has revealed that he doesn't have a contractor's license of any sort.

Sounds like he fits right in with the Duggars.

• Love 10

Fortunately, I think the culture around miscarriages and stillbirths has changed, even outside of the Fundy circles. Folks tend to be more open about their losses now. In the past many women grieved alone due feelings of self-blame, failure and feeling broken, among others.

Joy appears to have had great support and a healthy perspective around losing Annabelle. I don't think she'll delay announcing her next pregnancy unless they try and time it to drum up interest in the show.

• Love 11
(edited)

They haven't announced a winter/spring season yet. The latest they've had a "spring season" was in June and that was right after Joy and Austin's wedding.

I half wonder if that means the Duggars are only getting one season this year instead of two separate seasons. 

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 4

I've actually been impressed with how Joy has handled the grieving process. I have no doubt that really hurt her and likely still does, but she seems to have handled it in a healthy way (unlike, say, Lauren). I of course could be wrong, but I don't think they'd necessarily treat another child as a replacement for Annabell in the same way that Lauren was doing throughout her pregnancy with Bella. (God, I had to look up that kid's name. I can't keep all these people straight.)

• Love 13

I'm no expert, but something makes me uneasy about the way Gideon vocalizes what he's trying to parrot back on command.  Nothing is very recognizable, and not at all without context clues when he's being fed words or lyrics.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I'm no expert, but something makes me uneasy about the way Gideon vocalizes what he's trying to parrot back on command.  Nothing is very recognizable, and not at all without context clues when he's being fed words or lyrics.  

Some kids talk later. Remember Jessa had concerns about Henry. Giddy looks like he is “all there” in his reaction to other people and his surroundings.  I would venture a guess that things improve as he gets a little older. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Some kids talk later. Remember Jessa had concerns about Henry. Giddy looks like he is “all there” in his reaction to other people and his surroundings.  I would venture a guess that things improve as he gets a little older. 

Not suggesting it's cognitive.  Actually wondering how well he's hearing based on the fact that it seems none of the sounds he makes when prompted for a response actually approximate the words/sounds he's attempting to parrot back.

At first I thought it odd when Austin was reading him the book with the animal sounds, making the animal sounds and Gideon wasn't eager to join in, despite the fact both father and son were clearly happily engaged together in storytime.  Austin had to really push for the moo, which was the closest I've seen Gideon hit the target, yet still weak for a very easy sound for children his age.  The more recent video with Jill prompting the song showed him coming nowhere near any of the sounds, not the lyrics or the words, but even any of the prominent sounds of word fragments.  

Talking later may not be a sign of trouble whatsoever.  Inability to replicate any sounds clearly can signal problems.

• Useful 12
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if these kids go in for regular check-ups, and by "check-ups" I mean with a real pediatrician, not that hack Fedosky. 

I would be shocked if they did even checkups with a hack, sadly. 😞 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Not suggesting it's cognitive.  Actually wondering how well he's hearing based on the fact that it seems none of the sounds he makes when prompted for a response actually approximate the words/sounds he's attempting to parrot back.

At first I thought it odd when Austin was reading him the book with the animal sounds, making the animal sounds and Gideon wasn't eager to join in, despite the fact both father and son were clearly happily engaged together in storytime.  Austin had to really push for the moo, which was the closest I've seen Gideon hit the target, yet still weak for a very easy sound for children his age.  The more recent video with Jill prompting the song showed him coming nowhere near any of the sounds, not the lyrics or the words, but even any of the prominent sounds of word fragments.  

Talking later may not be a sign of trouble whatsoever.  Inability to replicate any sounds clearly can signal problems.

Good point I hadn’t considered. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2020 at 7:41 AM, PikaScrewChu said:

They haven't announced a winter/spring season yet. The latest they've had a "spring season" was in June and that was right after Joy and Austin's wedding.

I half wonder if that means the Duggars are only getting one season this year instead of two separate seasons. 

I feel like the seasons are getting further apart, and the episodes are fewer.

• Love 5

One thing I noticed in the Youtube above is that Joy said Gideon's bedtime is 8 pm.  There was a discussion here a while back about the lack of schedules in the Duggar household growing up and how some of the spouses had a schedule in their childhoods.  It was mentioned on the show.  So I'm glad to see Gideon has a schedule for (at least) bedtime.

• Love 20

Austin’s parents were featured on World‘s Strictest Parents (IIRC), and must say I loathe their beliefs. I can see Austin growing up with a bed time. Heck, his dad said his kids were only allowed to close their bedroom door when they changed clothes. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, SMama said:

Austin’s parents were featured on World‘s Strictest Parents (IIRC), and must say I loathe their beliefs. I can see Austin growing up with a bed time. Heck, his dad said his kids were only allowed to close their bedroom door when they changed clothes. 

I agree, this is almost certainly Austin’s influence.  But I’m glad to see that Joy adopted it and maybe can slowly form the idea of a schedule. Even Jills kids don’t have a bedtime, and she keeps them up routinely to keep herself busy/avoiding loneliness.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I agree, this is almost certainly Austin’s influence.  But I’m glad to see that Joy adopted it and maybe can slowly form the idea of a schedule. Even Jills kids don’t have a bedtime, and she keeps them up routinely to keep herself busy/avoiding loneliness.

Kindergarten will be a blessing -- I think for both boys, and potentially Jill.  A routine schedule similar to one most of society participates in may create some changes in Jill, open her eyes, increase the possibility she interacts with others more often, finds new outlets for herself socially and mentally.  

• Love 16