Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Bayarea4 said:

"Pubic" school? Is that where they teach sex education? 😄 No wonder the Duggars are against it.

You probably think the burning bush is actually about a plant.

• LOL 20

I just gotta say, when I was pregnant I did pretty much everything I did when I wasn't pregnant. But once I hit the "big pregnant" stage, you wouldn't have found me on a bicycle.

7 miles!?!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

7 miles isn't much if she's been riding regularly but this far along when she hasn't? Nah, sounds nuts. And I'm sure they wore helmets. Right??

Austin's family runs a camp where they don't provide safety equipment for their activties including horseback riding. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. A lot of people say fundies don't sue, but if the medical bills are big enough, they may not have a choice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Austin's family runs a camp where they don't provide safety equipment for their activties including horseback riding. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. A lot of people say fundies don't sue, but if the medical bills are big enough, they may not have a choice. 

An injury payout could bankrupt Family Camp. And I'm very doubtful they employ people who can properly supervise niche activities.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

Austin is definitely one of those “but mah rights, freedumb” people.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

An injury payout could bankrupt Family Camp. And I'm very doubtful they employ people who can properly supervise niche activities.

I guessing a waiver is signed before you set foot on their property.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Austin is definitely one of those “but mah rights, freedumb” people.

Good luck, kid. I just saw a chart that has Springdale/Fayetteville as the fastest growing Covid hotbed IN THE COUNTRY. A cautionary tale about opening up too soon, I think.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good luck, kid. I just saw a chart that has Springdale/Fayetteville as the fastest growing Covid hotbed IN THE COUNTRY. A cautionary tale about opening up too soon, I think.

@Zella Stay safe!

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Agreed! I didn't really have any problem with the way Arkansas handled the early stages of the pandemic through March and April, but I felt like reopening things--even with restrictions in place--in early May was a bad idea. And it seems to be especially true in the NWA area. Both Washington and Benton county have been adding about 100 cases a day the past couple of days. It was probably about a week ago, they both just had a little over 100 cases. 

7 minutes ago, Temperance said:

@Zella Stay safe!

Thank you! My county has gone from 0 active cases about a week ago to over 15 today. :S 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The chart I saw said that Springdale/Fayetteville was doubling the number of cases every 6 days. 

Yeah that sounds about right. Just a couple of weeks ago, Arkansas in general was doubling every few weeks. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The chart was from the NYT, but whoever copied it didn't include the original source material. I would assume CDC?

Probably. I believe Hutchison cited it in one of his press conferences this week, so I have no doubt it is accurate. The Arkansas Health Department has been diligently recording data for each county, and so that may have been the source of it too, but as far as I know they are not tracking doubling. Or at least they are not posting it on their county map.

I do know there is a bit of a delay in when information is added to the state health department website because I will hear of confirmed cases that aren't added for a couple of days, I assume as it goes through whatever documentation needs to be done. I assume CDC would likely get stats faster than they are made public. 

So, yeah, would not surprise me at all if numbers continue to skyrocket there. Also would not surprise me if the Duggars continue to ignore all the rules. 😞

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

I wonder what insurance the camp has. Or if the state of Arkansas requires any which would be a big big problem when one of their campers has an incident.

It wouldn't surprise me if Austin's father had the cheapest, bare bones policy that meets the minimum requirements of the law. Fundies seem to have a pretty big aversion to insurance.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Austin's father had the cheapest, bare bones policy that meets the minimum requirements of the law. Fundies seem to have a pretty big aversion to insurance.

It's kinda interesting about fundies and insurance.  As  most of you know, I work in a business where being sued is part of the job.  I don't know a single OB/GYN practicing anywhere who hasn't been named in a civil suit, it's just not possible.  Anywho, I have personally noticed that these folks are quick to tell you how they do not believe in lawsuits, how they would never file one, that they sincerely believe that their physician, midwife, etc is providing the best possible care at all times and that if anything adverse happens, it is God's will and they would not seek compensation.

Then... something happens to mother or baby at a birth.  Somehow, all thoughts of God's will are out the window, all aversion to civil suits is forgotten and they're at the lawyer, looking to sue in a heartbeat.

I will say that I have known a couple of cases where a fundy couple had a botched home birth performed by someone from their church who had somewhat dubious credentials and no actual license to practice.  At least one of these cases could have resulted in criminal charges, the police were actually investigating the circumstances and felt they had a good case against the 'midwife' if only the parents would cooperate,  They wouldn't.  In that instance, and in others I've seen, fundies will protect one another and even lie to avoid legal action against another true believer.  So, if Austin's parents pick their campers well, I suppose they might be able to avoid litigation.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5

Do Austin's parents even have a staff at that camp that is not family? Any time I've ever seen pictures of the camp, it seems like only family worked there. 

• Love 4

Just wait until one of the fundies' children get thrown from a horse and suffers a "severely" (tm Jill)  traumatic brain injury. And requires life long care while in a coma. We would see a lawsuit pretty quickly I'm sure.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

Do Austin's parents even have a staff at that camp that is not family? Any time I've ever seen pictures of the camp, it seems like only family worked there. 

Outsiders might talk and spill some secrets. So probably only family is allowed to work at the camp.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

Just wait until one of the fundies' children get thrown from a horse and suffers a "severely" (tm Jill)  traumatic brain injury. And requires life long care while in a coma. We would see a lawsuit pretty quickly I'm sure.

Especially one of the poorer families. 

They should stick to Man Camp where they all read and discuss the Bible in a manly way.

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Especially one of the poorer families. 

They should stick to Man Camp where they all read and discuss the Bible in a manly way.

And their wives tag along to cook for them. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Joy-Anna is due in August? Jinger is due in December.....is this going to be another wave like Fall 2019 or no?

Joy is due in mid August and Jinger is due near Thanksgiving. It's possible some of the other Duggars will announce they are due near Jinger, but only one baby so far. Also none of the Bates aren't  pregnant currently and most of the other fundies aren't either. (Although there are a few.) 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 5

Joy and Austin aren't in the new season promo. Any specualtion as to why? 

I wonder if he/she/they didn't like TLC airing her previous pregnancy, even after she had the stillbirth and decided to keep a bit more privacy than before...? Or Austin just wants to have a quieter life with his wife and children, away from videocameras to give Joy her first break from that life since she was all of five years old? 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Joy and Austin aren't in the new season promo. Any specualtion as to why? 

I wonder if he/she/they didn't like TLC airing her previous pregnancy, even after she had the stillbirth and decided to keep a bit more privacy than before...? Or Austin just wants to have a quieter life with his wife and children, away from videocameras to give Joy her first break from that life since she was all of five years old? 

Wasn't Jessa missing from the one last season? Or was it just the picture she wasn't in?

9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

i know i am a 'city girl' even though i do live out in the boonies in a regular neighborhood. my very first thought was 'well, if the kid gets bit by a snake and dad is on the hay mower across the field, then what??"  so for those of you that live more rural, doesn't that worry every come to mind?  then again, someone took the photo so...

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i know i am a 'city girl' even though i do live out in the boonies in a regular neighborhood. my very first thought was 'well, if the kid gets bit by a snake and dad is on the hay mower across the field, then what??"  so for those of you that live more rural, doesn't that worry every come to mind?  then again, someone took the photo so...

I'm thinking Joy is there and took the photo.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

Well, most snakes in the U.S. aren't venomous. And even the venomous ones won't bite you unless they're scared of you, and little kids aren't likely to look like much of a threat -- and they're too big to look like a snake's dinner....

Snakebite, especially of the poisonous variety, is a very very very small issue for kids in the United States.

Plus, I think Joy's right there taking the picture......

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Snakebite, especially of the poisonous variety, is a very very very small issue for kids in the United States.

its a daily concern in texas where my son and his family live. just last week their dog got bit by a copperhead and had to get treatment. they are all the time finding snakes in their yard. I HATE SNAKES!!!

• Love 7
(edited)
50 minutes ago, zoomama said:

its a daily concern in texas where my son and his family live. just last week their dog got bit by a copperhead and had to get treatment. they are all the time finding snakes in their yard. I HATE SNAKES!!!

Yeah, of course you're right. It's certainly true in some places in the U.S!  But most places it just isn't. If you're in a snake-heavy locale, it's quite different......

And to me, it's bad to imagine that every place has the same level of risk. That doesn't lead to sensible behavior -- either for our safety or for the environment, seems to me!

if you're just generally scared of snakes and hateful of snakes and you're in a place -- like most of the country -- where there's very low risk, then you eventually get lulled into complacency because nothing happens. And you may not get waked up again if you travel to place where there are a lot of poisonous snakes. Or you may start whacking the heads off beneficial snakes. 

Very little reason to fear poisonous snakebite in an Arkansas suburb. But in parts of Texas, absolutely! 

CDC stat on snakebites: "It has been estimated that 7,000–8,000 people per year receive venomous bites in the United States, and about 5 of those people die."

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/snakes/default.html

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, zoomama said:

It depends on where you live (I'm in Texas), honestly. I'm near a lake so we have to keep an eye out for water moccasins and copper heads, but out at my great grandma's farm in central Texas we used to run around in the mud with no shoes on. We were more concerned with yellow jackets there. 

I didn't bat an eye at Gideon playing in the mud. 

• Love 8

Snakes are my phobia. Pictures, in a movie or TV show, etc. I know they exist around here. There was one in our rose bush. I don’t care if they exist and I don’t require them to be killed. On my behalf Mr lookeyloo got the snake out of the thorns and carried it to the subdivision lake after determining that was a good habitat. You will never find me walking anywhere like that. Good snake or not. I stick to pavement where I have been lucky so far except for two incidents I can’t even discuss. But I am old so two isn’t bad. Glad to know the Forsyth family does not share my phobia. Life is simpler without it 

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Snakes are my phobia. Pictures, in a movie or TV show, etc. I know they exist around here. There was one in our rose bush. I don’t care if they exist and I don’t require them to be killed. On my behalf Mr lookeyloo got the snake out of the thorns and carried it to the subdivision lake after determining that was a good habitat. You will never find me walking anywhere like that. Good snake or not. I stick to pavement where I have been lucky so far except for two incidents I can’t even discuss. But I am old so two isn’t bad. Glad to know the Forsyth family does not share my phobia. Life is simpler without it 

i guess thats it then...i have a phobia. i cannot even watch my grands handle their pet snakes even. i dont like photos of them and cringe when i run into a photo on fb by accident. one time i came home and a snake was just about to wriggle up my driveway. i called my neighbor and didnt even get out of the car until he came and rehomed the snake over his back fence. its a real thing with me. and truly, i dont know why. i dont mind lizards....

when i saw that picture of giddy, that was my first thought...of the danger of being out there in the field.

• Love 7
(edited)

As someone who lives in the area, I'm more concerned about ticks and chiggers than the Duggars ever seem to be. You definitely run into snakes--this year might be kind of snakey because it was a milder winter--but it isn't really my first thought when out walking. My grandparents ran into 2 snakes on their farm yesterday, though. 

Where is he cutting hay? I seriously doubt it is on their property in Fayetteville. Is he on family property in Madison county? 

BTW, Madison county's covid-19 numbers have really shot up this week. They went from 3 cases, all recovered, to 19 active ones in a matter of days. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

i guess thats it then...i have a phobia. i cannot even watch my grands handle their pet snakes even. i dont like photos of them and cringe when i run into a photo on fb by accident. one time i came home and a snake was just about to wriggle up my driveway. i called my neighbor and didnt even get out of the car until he came and rehomed the snake over his back fence. its a real thing with me. and truly, i dont know why. i dont mind lizards....

when i saw that picture of giddy, that was my first thought...of the danger of being out there in the field.

I don’t mind lizards either because they have legs. If my grands had snakes I would never go into their house. 

• Love 6
On 6/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Looking at this photo I think Gideon’s just having a fun time playing outside. 

Snakes or a fear of snakes never crossed my mind. Although I am a city girl through and through (the actual city not a suburb) which is probably why I’m not scared or freaked out by snakes. They aren’t a part of my world outside of the zoo or photos etc. 

• Love 4