Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I remember that. He is an evil, evil man.

He kept stressing over and over the importance of not leaving a mark (bruise/cut/blood blister/etc) on the child’s body.  I’m sure that’s to prevent visits from CPS.  I think a lot of fundies homeschool so there won’t be any questions from outside sources about how they’re abusing, I mean, raising their kids.

I’ve just realized that I’m way off topic.  I’m sorry.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

He kept stressing over and over the importance of not leaving a mark (bruise/cut/blood blister/etc) on the child’s body.  I’m sure that’s to prevent visits from CPS.  I think a lot of fundies homeschool so there won’t be any questions from outside sources about how they’re abusing, I mean, raising their kids.

I’ve just realized that I’m way off topic.  I’m sorry.

Yup...not leaving a visible mark is stressed so much, yet not leaving a psychological mark (outside the all-important obedience, of course) gets not a mention.

And I don't think this is necessarily off topic, as it is part (for more or less depending on the family dispensing the "wisdom" and the personality of the offspring who choses how to implement it) of pretty much all families within the reach of the Pearls.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Steven Anderson did an entire sermon on How To Spank Your Kids or some shit like that.  He told his congregation exactly how to use a belt, took his belt off and everything.  It’s on YouTube if you can stomach watching it.

And his poor children were right in the church hearing that.  I used to be so horrified when my dad would brag to the neighbors that he didn't hesitate to take a belt to us kids. I used to tell my best friends that my parents never spanked us.

18 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

In the leaked police report after the Josh incident, the last kid who was interviewed (names redacted, but it appears to be a boy, maybe Joe?), answers that JB and Michelle spanked all the kids with a "rod."

I'm guessing DCF told them they needed to use other means of discipline going forward. Not that I think the Duggars would listen.

• Love 6

That’s honestly one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen.  It’s obvious that they adore each other.

I must have watched it over a dozen times during the last few days.  Each time I'm in this thread I scroll back and watch it another 2-3 times.  Just adorable.

• Love 12

His happiness just comes through the pictures, what a sweet kid. Austin seems to have mellowed out a lot over the last year and he seems to be happier in general, too. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 21
On 1/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, galaxychaser said:

Yay is my least favorite word.

It's one of my least favorite words, too, but in this instance, it didn't annoy me. That's because it was clear that Gideon couldn't wait to see his dad, and when Austin came into the house, you could see the joy on Giddy's face. Joy was just reacting to Gideon's happiness. Contrast this to Jill, who says "Yay" even when her children show no interest or pleasure in what's going on.

• Love 14
On 1/9/2020 at 5:24 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Gideon is one adorable baby. And while Joy seems to follow her parents' conservative tenets I'm glad that she and Austin show more affection towards Gideon. 

I hope it doesn't change, but I bet JB & Michelle showed the same affection towards Josh. It's easy to parent one child and to get caught up in the amazement of watching a tiny baby turn into a full-blown person if he or she is the only one in the house. Let's see how they do when they have 5, 6, or more kids.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I hope it doesn't change, but I bet JB & Michelle showed the same affection towards Josh. It's easy to parent one child and to get caught up in the amazement of watching a tiny baby turn into a full-blown person if he or she is the only one in the house. Let's see how they do when they have 5, 6, or more kids.

Exactly 

• Love 9

Cute video. For all my initial dislike of Austin, I am actually starting to find him more tolerable and a loving father.

That smile on his face, and that smile on Gideon's face tell me those are two humans happy to see each other.

I wish them all well. From appearances at least, looks like a loving, doting, caring family.

• Love 15
29 minutes ago, Fig Newton said:

Cute video. For all my initial dislike of Austin, I am actually starting to find him more tolerable and a loving father.

That smile on his face, and that smile on Gideon's face tell me those are two humans happy to see each other.

I wish them all well. From appearances at least, looks like a loving, doting, caring family.

Yes, I used to make a lot of Michael Cera serial killer jokes about him, but he does seem to have lightened up a lot in the past year or so. I no longer get a creepy serial killer vibe about him. Seriously doubt I'd like him in person, but he, Joy, and Gideon seem like a happy, loving, close family. 

• Love 7

Yep, Joy and Austin seem like very content parents to a little boy who seems quite happy and loving as well.  Watching the marriage retreat episode really made me believe Joy and Austin have truly found their match and are flourishing together.  

• Love 5
On 1/15/2020 at 4:45 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Joy, please wash your hair.  Or your bangs, at least.  You're so pretty otherwise.

Giddyup is a cutie!

She, like Jinger, needs a dip in the ProActiv.

Either that, or everyone in the family has suddenly developed an affinity for a mystery filter that makes everyone's complexion look pebbly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, queenanne said:

She, like Jinger, needs a dip in the ProActiv.

Either that, or everyone in the family has suddenly developed an affinity for a mystery filter that makes everyone's complexion look pebbly.

Ugh. Pebbly skin and greasy bangs. Nice. 

• Love 2
On 1/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, Totally said:

Joy looks tired, I wonder if she’s pregnant

I would say yes. We've only seen close-ups of her.

Has a Duggar not been pregnant since Izzy was gestating? Anna, Jessa and Jill kept things going prior to Felicity being born.

26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I would say yes. We've only seen close-ups of her.

Has a Duggar not been pregnant since Izzy was gestating? Anna, Jessa and Jill kept things going prior to Felicity being born.

There was a small gap between Felicity being born and Jessa being pregnant with Ivy. (Yes I'm counting before Jessa announced the pregnancy to the world.) 

Also after Israel, Meredith and Spurgeon were born. Then no one was pregnant until Jessa was pregnant with Henry. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 10:07 PM, awaken said:

Ugh. Pebbly skin and greasy bangs. Nice. 

meh, I think she looks just fine. Her skin is not "bad".  She's young, and natural which is just fine for her and Austins lifestyle.

Of course this would NEVER be acceptable in the Jinger/Jeremy world 😏

• Love 14

I think if they're going to blanket train him, they're running a bit behind. How old are the kids supposed to be?

On the other hand, Joy and Austin are too fundie. Other than the blanket training, there hasn't been too much evidence either one of them or both is growing away from their upbringing. Fundamentalism is so insidious and they are so many different ways it impacts the people who pratice it. Blanket training, lack of education and the ever-increasing family size despite manageability and the effects on Joy's health are all things I could see being issues. 

• Love 11
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm so confused. Somebody please call Michelle. Is Joy a girl? She's wearing a brown sweatshirt with camo lining. It looks like men's clothing to me. Oh my head.

BUT... she'll be wearing it with a floor-dusting denim skirt and flip flops, making it all right with God... and maybe even Michelle (whom we may or may not have seen wear Jim Bob's coat once when she was cold.)

On 1/23/2020 at 7:48 PM, ginger90 said:

Video:

This child is so exuberant. I'm hoping his parents are so enamoured of his gleeful, infectious smile that they can't bring themselves to break his little spirit.

8 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think if they're going to blanket train him, they're running a bit behind. How old are the kids supposed to be?

On the other hand, Joy and Austin are too fundie. Other than the blanket training, there hasn't been too much evidence either one of them or both is growing away from their upbringing. Fundamentalism is so insidious and they are so many different ways it impacts the people who pratice it. Blanket training, lack of education and the ever-increasing family size despite manageability and the effects on Joy's health are all things I could see being issues. 

Doesn't the blanket training start at, like, 4 or 6 months? Lucky for Gideon, that boat may have sailed. I wonder if the loss of their daughter, and the seemingly healthy way this couple are processing it, that they haven't rushed into another pregnancy and that it gives them longer to focus on their son as an individual rather than 1 of xx will modify their approach to parenthood. Theirs is not an experience shared with their small and mostly familial circle, so they may find themselves thinking/feeling outside the fundie "box".

But I'm probably overestimating their potential for growth. Sigh

• Love 13
38 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

BUT... she'll be wearing it with a floor-dusting denim skirt and flip flops, making it all right with God... and maybe even Michelle (whom we may or may not have seen wear Jim Bob's coat once when she was cold.)

This child is so exuberant. I'm hoping his parents are so enamoured of his gleeful, infectious smile that they can't bring themselves to break his little spirit.

Doesn't the blanket training start at, like, 4 or 6 months? Lucky for Gideon, that boat may have sailed. I wonder if the loss of their daughter, and the seemingly healthy way this couple are processing it, that they haven't rushed into another pregnancy and that it gives them longer to focus on their son as an individual rather than 1 of xx will modify their approach to parenthood. Theirs is not an experience shared with their small and mostly familial circle, so they may find themselves thinking/feeling outside the fundie "box".

I wonder if they started to blanket train him and when they lost their daughter they stopped? I’m sure another poster here said you can’t really tell though if a child has been blanket trained until their older? So he may have been, we just don’t know. But I think he does come across really happy and carefree, I don’t think a blanket trained child would. But who knows?

Edited by PuffinFizz
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, mimionthebeach said:

We have no idea if they've rushed into another pregnancy or not. Someone I know was in a similar situation and was advised to wait a year. You can see above that people are speculating she might be pregnant already. It makes sense to want to announce as late as possible in this case, given how the last pregnancy went. I'm very sympathetic to them on this. It's also very possible she isn't pregnant.

They don't show potential to growth imo. I see little evidence they interact with anyone much who isn't fundie. They did a segment on TLC on-line where people talked about the honeymoons and if they tried new foods. Austin said he and Joy tried to eat at American restaurants as much as possible and that there should be a law requiring all countries to have American chains. This segment was part of John and Abbie's honeymoon.

1 hour ago, PuffinFizz said:

I wonder if they started to blanket train him and when they lost their daughter they stopped? I’m sure another poster here said you can’t really tell though if a child has been blanket trained until their older? So he may have been, we just don’t know. But I think he does come across really happy and carefree, I don’t think a blanket trained child would. But who knows?

I think the Duggar kids came off happy and carefree to their fans. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think the Duggar kids came off happy and carefree to their fans. 

I think the younger Duggar kids came across as happy and carefree, the older ones seemed like robots to me. I also don’t think the younger ones were blanket trained, I think Michelle gave up on that when she bought in the buddy system and then TLC cameras in her house. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I find it strange that Jill, Jessa and Jinger all had those dark circles under their eyes when we first met them just like some of the younger Rodriguii daughters so. I believed then and I believe now that it is because of bad nutrition, lack of sleep and being overworked during the day. It's a wonder how those circles disappeared after the cameras came into the Duggar home..ie, more $$$ from TLC; perhaps more food too. Not great quality mind you, just more of it. It's a shame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, PuffinFizz said:

I think the younger Duggar kids came across as happy and carefree, the older ones seemed like robots to me. I also don’t think the younger ones were blanket trained, I think Michelle gave up on that when she bought in the buddy system and then TLC cameras in her house. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that the "true" blanket training ended with Josiah. I would bet everything I own and then some that Smugs was never blanket trained. They may have done a modified form for Joy to Justin. After Jackson? I'm very doubtful.

I'm going to be bluntly honest. I don't think Joy has the skills to read about blanket training and successfully execute it. It's not that I think she's innately dumb but her parents dropped the ball when it came to her education. That may be the only bonus for little Giddy.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that the "true" blanket training ended with Josiah. I would bet everything I own and then some that Smugs was never blanket trained. They may have done a modified form for Joy to Justin. After Jackson? I'm very doubtful.

I could never tell with Josh if he had been blanket trained or not he had an ego the size of this planet, I just assumed because he was their first born and male he was like a god to them. 

11 hours ago, SMama said:

IIRC Michelle claimed in one of the books that she began blanket training with the second set of twins.

Really? I was sure all the older ones were blanket trained. The younger ones seemed feral. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

What did Michelle do with the older kids? Oh wait, it was probably pile on a lot of extra work for them (except probably for Smuggar since he was the anointed one). And who knows, maybe the older ones were expected to help blanket train.