Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Temperance said:

Gideon will be 2 in February. Hardly all grown up!

In most families that's true.  

However the Duggar offspring have to grow up fast because a new sibling is waiting in the wings. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So, it's Bella. I thought I remembered red on her, but wasn't going to go back through pics to refresh my memory.

She had two different red outfits in the video Jessa posted-- the dress and a red sleeper with white polka dots.

33 minutes ago, Zella said:

Which brother is with the kids? I have such a hard time identifying any of the boys. LOL 

John David

Now who's the other little boy (besides Gideon) in the Fisher Price Car and also in Red Flannel in the Red Flannel picture?

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Temperance said:

John David

Thanks!

Haha Now that I looked back at it, that seems super obvious it is JD, but he didn't even occur to me. I was just stumped why one of the younger brothers looked that old. LOL

I have to give Joy credit for being incredibly strong and being able to be so loving and joyful when she's seen with the brand new nieces.  It has to sting, but from what I've seen she keeps it to herself, or at least not public.  Then I flash back to Lauren meeting and holding Ivy for the first time ...

Watching the Christmas video it seemed as if Joy was the gift giver to Bella and handled that with grace and joy.  All I could think was, did no one think to rig that situation?

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
9 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Watching the Christmas video it seemed as if Joy was the gift giver to Bella and handled that with grace and joy.  All I could think was, did no one think to rig that situation?

I thought Joy said kids gave to kids so maybe Gideon had Bella's name.  But even with that many people it could have been fixed that none of the Forsyths had Bella or any of the new nieces names.

Edited by Barb23
Couldn't get my thoughts together.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 12/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, DangerousMinds said:

And Anna was recently posting about how much they all loved The Brady Bunch. All those short skirts! 🤣

Or what about when Marcia had invites for dates with more than one guy. 

I guess she's thinking about Bobby getting to go on the date with Greg and assuming that Bobby was the chaperone. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Tikichick said:

8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I thought Joy said kids gave to kids so maybe Gideon had Bella's name.  But even with that many people it could have been fixed that none of the Forsyths had Bella or any of the new nieces names.

I looked at the list at the beginning of Jessa's video again, and none of the newborn babies were listed. (And even the kids' lists were gender organized, so Gideon couldn't have gotten Bella even if she was listed.) So it would appear that Joy was giving that gift of her own volition. She was also holding Bella later in the same video.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I have to give Joy credit for being incredibly strong and being able to be so loving and joyful when she's seen with the brand new nieces.  It has to sting, but from what I've seen she keeps it to herself, or at least not public.  Then I flash back to Lauren meeting and holding Ivy for the first time ...

Yeah, Lauren’s display upon meeting Ivy was too much. I’ve lost multiple pregnancies (10+).  I know loss. I get it. But I never inflicted it on the parents of a newborn. There’s no spin you can put on her performance that makes it ok. It was NOT ok. Grow up. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I thought the same. As happy as she must be for her sibling’ new babies, it has to be painful to celebrate Christmas with her little girl not there and everyone else’s is. From the photos anyway, she showed a lot more grace and ease than I would’ve been able to. 

• Love 18
On 1/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, jcbrown said:

It's nice to see Joy so seemingly besotted with her little boy.

Yeah, I've very much been a party of one on this topic, but I don't think Joy will be/is blanket training Gideon.  Even when he was a newborn, she was driving everyone on the thread crazy petting his wee baby feet, like she couldn't quite believe he was real.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, I've very much been a party of one on this topic, but I don't think Joy will be/is blanket training Gideon.  Even when he was a newborn, she was driving everyone on the thread crazy petting his wee baby feet, like she couldn't quite believe he was real.

I've been on the no blanket training train too. Gideon just looks way too happy with both of them to be blanket trained. I think it was one of those things that's easy to talk about before you have a child. And, definitely after losing a child, I think Austin, especially, has discovered just how precious babies are. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 12/27/2019 at 8:37 PM, Namaste said:

Yeah, Lauren’s display upon meeting Ivy was too much. I’ve lost multiple pregnancies (10+).  I know loss. I get it. But I never inflicted it on the parents of a newborn. There’s no spin you can put on her performance that makes it ok. It was NOT ok. Grow up. 

In a nutshell, can you tell me how Lauren acted when she first met Ivy?  I don’t watch the show.  Thank you!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Are those pine floors that Gideon is standing on?   His Dad must appreciate them as much as my husband did in his construction work.  I also have fond memories of knotty pine.  Early on my family had a full kitchen made of it.  I sincerely hope that little Gideon enjoys his rare time (in his family) of being an only child.  My little sister came along over three years after me, but she had serious health problems (not exactly in the special needs area) that plagued her all her life.  My late father confessed to my husband that he felt that I may have been neglected because of this.  My mother also said recently that my sister's ill health was hard on me because my parent's attention may have been more focused on her.  On looking at that picture of Joy and Gideon, there is a sadness in her eyes.  I wouldn't wish what she has been through on anybody.  Seems it has made her appreciate her son.  Quality over quantity?  You Be The Judge!

• Love 6

To me, it looks like Joy and Austin dote on Gideon as much as JinJer dote on Felicity.  I hope the fact that Joy and Austin had doubts about the way they were raised means that they denounced any idea of that blanket training crap.  Giddy seems to be very happy and much loved.

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

To me, it looks like Joy and Austin dote on Gideon as much as JinJer dote on Felicity.  I hope the fact that Joy and Austin had doubts about the way they were raised means that they denounced any idea of that blanket training crap.  Giddy seems to be very happy and much loved.

I hope you're right, but I think it's wishful thinking.

Remember the video of J'chelle chasing after Spurgeon and admonishing him to "obey?" Obedience is super-important to J'chelle, and I think that includes her adult children obeying as well. If she thinks blanket training is great, her daughters should think that, too. There is no room for anything like an "opinion" in Duggar-land.

If I recall correctly, Austin's family appeared on a show called something like "The Strictest Parents in America." While he and Joy may have gone through periods of questioning, they have said more recently that they see nothing wrong with the methods that their parents used (aka blanket training).

It's possible to love your children and be a strict parent, too. It's also possible to be a strict parent without being a sadist or a control freak -- it's just a space where it's a lot easier to hide and pretend that you're not enjoying dishing out "discipline." Joy only has one child right now, and he's barely a toddler. I hope that they're still no signs of blanket training once he starts to show a little independence.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

In a nutshell, can you tell me how Lauren acted when she first met Ivy?  I don’t watch the show.  Thank you!

She was holding Ivy in Jessa’s hospital room and speaking to the camera, crying and talking about Asa’s due date etc. She was probably responding to the producer’s questions. However, an adult would have answered the producer’s questions by saying they were happy for Bin/Jessa and what a beautiful baby they had (and then cried in private where nobody had to see it). Instead, Lauren talked about herself and cried. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I hope you're right, but I think it's wishful thinking.

Remember the video of J'chelle chasing after Spurgeon and admonishing him to "obey?" Obedience is super-important to J'chelle, and I think that includes her adult children obeying as well. If she thinks blanket training is great, her daughters should think that, too. There is no room for anything like an "opinion" in Duggar-land.

If I recall correctly, Austin's family appeared on a show called something like "The Strictest Parents in America." While he and Joy may have gone through periods of questioning, they have said more recently that they see nothing wrong with the methods that their parents used (aka blanket training).

It's possible to love your children and be a strict parent, too. It's also possible to be a strict parent without being a sadist or a control freak -- it's just a space where it's a lot easier to hide and pretend that you're not enjoying dishing out "discipline." Joy only has one child right now, and he's barely a toddler. I hope that they're still no signs of blanket training once he starts to show a little independence.

I hope they don't resort to blanket training if they have more children and the family size grows less manageable. It's easy to be lenient when you have one or two kids. A lot of fundies and even normal people use discipline to cope with the strains of having a large family or even too many little kids close in age. 

• Love 3

Austin defended his parents hosting the Pearls at their camp, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll use Pearl's methods. I have no doubt that Gideon is disciplined by having his hands smacked and will be spanked as he gets older, but that doesn't mean he's going to be beaten with rods until his spirit is broken.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, awaken said:

Has anyone asked joy if they follow the pearls’ methods?

The Pearls are a sore subject with the Duggars. I think it’s more than likely that Jim Bob and Michelle blanket trained at least the first six or seven kids, but they have never acknowledged it or said anything that could be considered an endorsement of the Pearls. They’re smart enough to realize that talking about beating your kids would be taking “we do things a little differently” too far for most of their fans. That whack job Zuzanna Anderson, who brags about beating her kids because Jesus wants her to, has called the Duggars out for refusing to acknowledge that they beat theirs.

At some point, the Duggars stopped the blanket training. It’s been speculated that it stopped after Michelle had her laundry room breakdown, but I think they only stopped when the TLC crew moved in to start filming them.

If Joy or any of the other Duggars kids are into using the Pearls methods, I don’t think they’d admit it.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Nysha said:

Austin defended his parents hosting the Pearls at their camp, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll use Pearl's methods. I have no doubt that Gideon is disciplined by having his hands smacked and will be spanked as he gets older, but that doesn't mean he's going to be beaten with rods until his spirit is broken.

I believe there's a post of Austin's somewhere defending blanket training. However I agree that we don't know how they're disciplining their own child and we don't know if they would blanket train the exact way the Pearls have taught.

And kids need to be disciplined and not every form of discipline works the same way with each child. But even now they should be saying no to Giddy and removing him or distracting him from dangerous situations or behaviors like hitting and biting.

The reason I think JB and M stopped blanket training is because it takes time and commitment. The only thing JB and M were committed to over the years was procreating. Blanket training involves sitting infants on a blanket and striking them with an object when they do what comes instinctively - crawl. I believe as the child ages, not only are they hit, they are then instructed to do something like run and touch the doorknob three times, to display instant obedience. Michelle couldn't be bothered to put her kid in a high chair to feed them so I doubt she invested that much time in disciplining her kids.

Most parents discipline when something happens, they don't set their kids up to be disciplined.

I think all of the Duggar 19 are strict parents and I'm guessing they all use a combination of spanking and timeouts. Whether they use rods or objects to hit their kids or punish them when a behavior occurs throughout the day or set their kids up to catch them misbehaving is a whole other thing.

One could argue that insisting young children learn to recite phrases, passages and such, and performing them on demand is a form of discipline.

Jill and Derick learned what happens when one shares their discipline 'techniques'. I doubt any of the Duggar 19 will make the same mistake other than maybe a quick pic of a kid in a timeout chair.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

In one of the early Duggar specials, there was a scence where one of the little boys was acting up, whining and crying.  Michelle went to the boy and bent over him and was filmed speaking very strongly to him.  Of course we don't know what she said due to the voiceover/editing, but whatever is was the kid snapped into submission.  So whether they stopped blanket training or not, I believe they always employed some pretty serious discipline. 

Then there was the time when Michelle was announcing to the family that she was pregnant again, and Josiah reacted quite emotionally and tried to escape the situation.  JB grabbed him and nearly held him in a headlock so he couldn't get away.   Who knows what other punishment he endured after that one! 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

The Pearls are a sore subject with the Duggars. I think it’s more than likely that Jim Bob and Michelle blanket trained at least the first six or seven kids, but they have never acknowledged it or said anything that could be considered an endorsement of the Pearls.

Actually, they have. Including a 2011 "Amazon blitz" where they promoted the Pearls' book on their website. Deets here: http://thewartburgwatch.com/2014/04/30/the-duggars-promote-bill-gothard-and-the-pearls/

But yes they seem to have STFU about the Pearls in recent years.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

The Pearls are a sore subject with the Duggars. I think it’s more than likely that Jim Bob and Michelle blanket trained at least the first six or seven kids, but they have never acknowledged it or said anything that could be considered an endorsement of the Pearls. They’re smart enough to realize that talking about beating your kids would be taking “we do things a little differently” too far for most of their fans. That whack job Zuzanna Anderson, who brags about beating her kids because Jesus wants her to, has called the Duggars out for refusing to acknowledge that they beat theirs.

At some point, the Duggars stopped the blanket training. It’s been speculated that it stopped after Michelle had her laundry room breakdown, but I think they only stopped when the TLC crew moved in to start filming them.

If Joy or any of the other Duggars kids are into using the Pearls methods, I don’t think they’d admit it.

Michelle admitted to blanket training either in the early specials or during the first season or so. She didn't admit to hitting her kids. She said she "gives/gave them a consquence", a euphemism that means whatever you want. She described sitting the kids on the blanket and "giving a consequence" if they leave the blanket.  Blanket training is done with young children so by this point the kids are too old to keep blanket training. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Steven Anderson did an entire sermon on How To Spank Your Kids or some shit like that.  He told his congregation exactly how to use a belt, took his belt off and everything.  It’s on YouTube if you can stomach watching it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Steven Anderson did an entire sermon on How To Spank Your Kids or some shit like that.  He told his congregation exactly how to use a belt, took his belt off and everything.  It’s on YouTube if you can stomach watching it.

I remember that. He is an evil, evil man.

• Love 8