Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 12/12/2019 at 12:03 AM, Zella said:

I feel like the best explanation for all forms of bad facial hair is in Joe Dirt. LOL

Lol! Is it wrong that despite more than their share of truly cringy moments, I find a lot of David Spade (and Adam Sandler, for that matter) movies to be guilty pleasures? I think I've seen Joe Dirt at least three times.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Honestly, I'm not surprised that Austin has more clothes than Joy...only because I'm not surprised that Joy does not have oodles of outfits.

By the time Joy left the TTH the communal closet was wiped out. It benefits Jana because now she won’t have to share clothes. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Lol! Is it wrong that despite more than their share of truly cringy moments, I find a lot of David Spade (and Adam Sandler, for that matter) movies to be guilty pleasures? I think I've seen Joe Dirt at least three times.

Taking response to prayer closet. 🙂

I Love Lucy is perfect for them. I read somewhere that the FCC rules back then included couples not sharing beds, never showing a toilet and actors in pajamas actually had to put pillow-like panels for modesty.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Austin looked bored out of his mind watching I Love Lucy. Did anyone else notice that? I wonder if Joy realizes that the show is from around 70 years ago?

That is the classic candy factory scene where Lucy and Ethel can't keep up.  Worth a YouTube visit and still hilarious.

• Love 14

Joy looks like Jill.  Giddy looks like Sam.  Josie has been reduced to a floating head.  Jenny looks like she would rather be anywhere else.  Jordyn does not need those damn leggings with her skirt/dress.  Poor Hannie looks like sex pest.  Austin is just over the whole thing.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Joy looks like Jill.  Giddy looks like Sam.  Josie has been reduced to a floating head.  Jenny looks like she would rather be anywhere else.  Jordyn does not need those damn leggings with her skirt/dress.  Poor Hannie looks like sex pest.  Austin is just over the whole thing.

Jenny, with her perpetual sad demeanor, is troubling.  If Austin was bored spending time with the girls, he should have left rather than be a killjoy.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Jenny, with her perpetual sad demeanor, is troubling.  If Austin was bored spending time with the girls, he should have left rather than be a killjoy.

Agreed. However, I don’t think there is any getting away with this family. You are in or you are out. Ask Jill. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

So, Joy has a TV?

Hmm, yeah, and there are some comments on the post from Amy reminiscing about how they used to watch tv together when Josie was the the NICU as a baby.  So I think the no-tv thing has now been officially debunked!  

I wonder if Jill was able to join in??  Obviously not, but it's a glaring omission.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, wilsie said:

I would bet money that the Duggars didn't have cable because of the cost not their extra special holiness.  Jim Bob has always been very cheap when it came to his children.

I can't imagine them not having cable since 2008ish.  How else are they supposed to know how xtains are being persecuted in America if they don't watch Fox News everyday?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 2

Yes, I remember the parents saying that they allowed their children, once in a while, to watch SELECT Andy Griffith shows; only the ones that did not show Andy or Barney dating. Of course, even back then, the 'dating' couple were allowed to be alone together, cuddle and KISS one another...strictly not allowed in Duggar Land. I can't believe such strictness and isolation.

• Love 5

I had a friend (back in the 90s) who was the pastor's daughter, and she kind of bragged a bit that her family didn't have tv. I went to visit her house, and they indeed did have a tv, but only with antenna instead of cable. That's the way I was raised, but never made the declaration that we didn't have tv. Seems like another "sacrifice for Jesus" that some people like to announce so they can get more gold stars on the heavenly chart when they're not being entirely truthful. 

• Love 13

Since I'm too cheap to pay for cable, I can't fault Jim Bob for that one. Of all the things he deprived his kids of, network TV is the least abusive. Too bad he didn't encourage them to read or be creative like most parents who don't let their kids veg-out in front of a screen.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Yes, I remember the parents saying that they allowed their children, once in a while, to watch SELECT Andy Griffith shows; only the ones that did not show Andy or Barney dating. Of course, even back then, the 'dating' couple were allowed to be alone together, cuddle and KISS one another...strictly not allowed in Duggar Land. I can't believe such strictness and isolation.

I remember the parents saying this as well and always wondered who screened the episodes and which would pass duggar restrictions.

not andy or barney dating. how about Aunt Bea dating? then there are all the episodes of Otis drinking, a few with Barney being drunk and even aunt Bea  Opie being into mischief, willful or disobedient which usually ended up in andy admitting he was wrong.

It would seem very few episodes that would be duggar approved.

But the Duggars have always been secretive about their TV watching. I remember a clip with one of the boys, James maybe, playing with a toy plane and saying "I'm going into the Hudson"  no way he would know that without seeing it on TV or maybe Jill"s type of fundie non TV while streaming things on a laptop

• Love 6
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

how about Aunt Bea dating?

How about Aunt Bea getting drunk?  One of my favorite episodes.  She plays the piano and sings.  It's hilarious.  

3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And Anna was recently posting about how much they all loved The Brady Bunch. All those short skirts! 🤣

Not to mention Davy Jones!!  NIKE!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

Personally, I think there's a big difference between not wanting to pay/cannot afford cable and what JB&M did.  Not having a tv and/or internet was (is?) one more way for them to control their children.  They knew each child would be under their sole control until they turned 18, randomly left, or got married off.  Censoring allowed them the power to stop any free-thinking from taking place under their watch.  People can grow up or live without a television and still know current events from being around peers or the world in general.  JB&M put a stop to that as well, as the kids only associated with one another.  It is absolutely disgusting what these two have done to their kids in the name of religion.  

• Love 23
6 hours ago, crazy8s said:

But the Duggars have always been secretive about their TV watching. I remember a clip with one of the boys, James maybe, playing with a toy plane and saying "I'm going into the Hudson"

giphy.gif

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Joy seems like she might be the most naturally successful "earth/soccer mother" of the married girls so far.  I think she would really dig carpooling everyone, and chaperoning museum trips and away games, etc., etc.  Maybe some day she and Austin will send their children out to school.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Was Austin home schooled? That might make a difference in whether or not Gideon ever gets to go to school.

AFAIK, the Forsyths are Gothardites. I read somewhere that Austin's "testimony" is, or was, on the ALERT website or some other ATI page. Also, the Forsyths haven't backed off their support of the Pearls ("Train Up A Child") like the Duggars did when they started getting the mainstream attention via TLC. 

With both his parents having been so thoroughly indoctrinated in the fundie ways, with that Gothard/ATI flavor, no way in hell is Gideon going to any school. No way is Joy becoming some kind of soccer mom driving random non-related kids around to sports practice. Joy and Austin are going to stick to their fundie/ATI ways. I'm surprised that they haven't blanket trained Gideon, or at least they haven't been caught doing it. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

Yeah I don't think Gideon is going to school anytime soon. What I found very telling about Joy and Austin's marriage is in the one episode I watched (the marriage retreat one), they worked well together on the joint project. And when asked, Austin said that Joy suggested something, and though he didn't think it was a good idea, he went with it because he has learned that he can trust Joy's instincts, and that she was right and her idea worked. 

I had been surprised by how much happier Joy and Austin seemed lately, and I think some of it might be that Austin went into this marriage with some really staunchly patriarchal ideas about what the little woman would and would be thinking/doing in a marriage, and that he has gotten less rigid on that as he has learned to trust Joy. And that's good that he was able to adapt, but my read on Austin is that he is not much of an adapter by nature. His personality reminds me a bit of my brother, though my brother is less uptight in general. Not that my brother is some sort of fundamentalist asshole, but he just has one of those ISTJ personalities that doesn't handle change well. 

Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Austin and Joy have some of the most rigidly conservative beliefs on things like homeschooling and child-rearing of all the marrieds. In fact, I'd think if any of the young marrieds opt for not homeschooling, it would probably be Jeremy/Jinger, especially if they stay in L.A. and realize they need to lose some more Duggar baggage to become influencers, or, less likely, Jill/Derick.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I remember one if the siblings saying that Joy was the most conservative. Not sure if they meant just the girls or everyone.

It doesn't surprise me, especially since she was apparently one of the ones who had a significant crisis of faith as a teenager. She probably doubled down on her beliefs once she was back in the fold. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I don't think Gideon is going to school anytime soon. What I found very telling about Joy and Austin's marriage is in the one episode I watched (the marriage retreat one), they worked well together on the joint project. And when asked, Austin said that Joy suggested something, and though he didn't think it was a good idea, he went with it because he has learned that he can trust Joy's instincts, and that she was right and her idea worked. 

I had been surprised by how much happier Joy and Austin seemed lately, and I think some of it might be that Austin went into this marriage with some really staunchly patriarchal ideas about what the little woman would and would be thinking/doing in a marriage, and that he has gotten less rigid on that as he has learned to trust Joy. And that's good that he was able to adapt, but my read on Austin is that he is not much of an adapter by nature. His personality reminds me a bit of my brother, though my brother is less uptight in general. Not that my brother is some sort of fundamentalist asshole, but he just has one of those ISTJ personalities that doesn't handle change well. 

Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Austin and Joy have some of the most rigidly conservative beliefs on things like homeschooling and child-rearing of all the marrieds. In fact, I'd think if any of the young marrieds opt for not homeschooling, it would probably be Jeremy/Jinger, especially if they stay in L.A. and realize they need to lose some more Duggar baggage to become influencers, or, less likely, Jill/Derick.

The only two couples who do NOT live in one of JB’s houses.

• Love 2
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

The only two couples who do NOT live in one of JB’s houses.

Ha I didn't even think of that, but yes. That being said, I think there is less of a divide between Jeremy and Jim Bob in their beliefs than we are being led to believe. Jeremy has a more modern, urbane exterior, but his alliance with MacArthur is a pretty clear indication of what he thinks. He's not IBLP, but his beliefs are closer to Jim Bob's, I think, than your average American Christian. 

• Love 4