Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I only skimmed it, but one of the complaints was that Austin did work without permits! Yeah, not surprising. 

I only skimmed it as well. It seems the septic system isn't working properly. I don't think Austin installed it though. But apparently the seller has to have the system inspected before they sell.

• Useful 4

It doesn’t seem like the homeowners got an inspection themselves before purchasing the house.  That will be a strike against them.  I also wonder exactly what the timeline is.  “Shortly after” makes me think they are stretching the truth on when they found it, especially since the lawsuit is filed a solid year and a half later.  But the longer they own the property, the more “their” problem it becomes.

Not having a permit will be a big one, although I wonder if there ever was a permit issued for the septic tank that Austin thought was valid.  A lot of that old stuff is grandfathered in under previous codes and don’t have to be updated.

I will say my in-laws flip houses and they won’t deal with houses on septic anymore.  Too many companies know that new buyers are most vulnerable and will upsell the heck out of them.  Some of the companies will even help sue previous homeowners because a new system is money in the bank for them.

So I’m side eyeing Austin heavily but he may not have done anything too wrong.

Edited by Saylii
  • Useful 6
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Saylii said:

It doesn’t seem like the homeowners got an inspection themselves before purchasing the house.  That will be a strike against them.  I also wonder exactly what the timeline is.  “Shortly after” makes me think they are stretching the truth on when they found it, especially since the lawsuit is filed a solid year and a half later.  But the longer they own the property, the more “their” problem it becomes.

Not having a permit will be a big one, although I wonder if there ever was a permit issued for the septic tank that Austin thought was valid.  A lot of that old stuff is grandfathered in under previous codes and don’t have to be updated.

I will say my in-laws flip houses and they won’t deal with houses on septic anymore.  Too many companies know that new buyers are most vulnerable and will upsell the heck out of them.  Some of the companies will even help sue previous homeowners because a new system is money in the bank for them.

The buyers may be going after what they think are 'big pockets'.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I only skimmed it, but one of the complaints was that Austin did work without permits! Yeah, not surprising. 

Isn't this what we all expected of all the Duggar flips/construction projects?  

22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nothing to see here, either. 

Looks exactly like every other build/remodel this family has done.  Perhaps Joy can wash her hair now.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Saylii said:

Our septic system is not the greatest, design-wise...Well, the actual system is OK, I guess, but for some reason the tank was put waaaay further out from the house than was necessary, and the pipe out to it has only the barest downward slant, so we very easily get back-ups from clogs that develop in it. We've learned to be extremely careful about what gets flushed or washed down the drain. The permit must have cleared the design when the house was built, I guess, but the times we have had the septic company out, not knowing whether it was a full septic tank or just a clog (we've had a couple of both), they always shake their heads over why the drainpipe was installed the way it was. It's a pain, but not worth the cost and hassle of having a new system designed and the septic tank moved.

We've sort of "flipped" most of the houses we've owned over the years, always trying to buy things which need cosmetics. Mr. Jyn is a great handyman, who has a good knowledge of basic building, carpentry, and even electrical (he originally trained as an electrician on nuclear submarines, but much of the basic knowledge is still applicable to home wiring).  There's a lot he can do - flooring, tiling, wiring, painting, drywall, cabinetry, etc... but when it comes to anything involving plumbing or roofing, he will always get a licensed contractor to deal with it. 

I do actually think Austin probably has a lot of knowhow in basic renovation, but bit off more than he could chew with that one.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 12/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, GeeGolly said:

Too funny - curtains don't match, but they're fresh out of a package with the folds still in them.

Well at least they are hanging from rods.  Jessa was shown stapling curtains (also fresh out of the pkge) to the walls in their spare room while getting ready for Spurge.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Even if the buyer's bought the house As Is, couldn't they research public records to make sure each specific area of the house like plumbing & electricity was signed off as being properly done by a licensed & Master of whatever trade when it was built ? ** I would think these type of records would be easy to get since the house is only a few years old.

Oops, forgot to add my ** We had our present house built & I remember contractor telling us it's  easy for the  subcontractors (plumbing, HVAC,  etc) to pay off the licensing people to approve their work. 

Didn't Austin have to have everything approved on the house in question even if he was the original buyer?

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Even if the buyer's bought the house As Is, couldn't they research public records to make sure each specific area of the house like plumbing & electricity was signed off as being properly done by a licensed & Master of whatever trade when it was built ? ** I would think these type of records would be easy to get since the house is only a few years old.  

The house was built in the 60’s and renovated in 2017 by Austin.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I've got curtains stapled to the walls. In my defense my house is a slum rental with no curtain rods & I'm not about to buy them. Mine match & I made sure to staple evenly so they're pleated.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Saylii said:

The house was built in the 60’s and renovated in 2017 by Austin.

Oops, forgot this house was  flipped & not a new build.  Austin had the house down to the bare bones.  I don't know how flipping works -- does the work have to be signed off by someone that  it was done properly by a licensed contractor with licensed subcontractors & permits like a new build does?  

It was shown on the show that Joe & other Duggar Builders were doing some if not all of the wiring for the log cabin. Did that work have to be approved or signed off on?  I'm sure that house will always stay in the family since it's on Duggar property so I guess it doesn't matter. Hope to God  something doesn't go wrong with the wiring causing the house to burn to the ground.   I've heard horror stories from a licensed electrician that did work on our house.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Oops, forgot this house was  flipped & not a new build.  Austin had the house down to the bare bones.  I don't know how flipping works -- does the work have to be signed off by someone that  it was done properly by a licensed contractor with licensed subcontractors & permits like a new build does?  

It was shown on the show that Joe & other Duggar Builders were doing some if not all of the wiring for the log cabin. Did that work have to be approved or signed off on?  I'm sure that house will always stay in the family since it's on Duggar property so I guess it doesn't matter. Hope to God  something doesn't go wrong with the wiring causing the house to burn to the ground.   I've heard horror stories from a licensed electrician that did work on our house.

As I've mentioned, my husband has done wiring in our houses. He has electrician training, though for nuclear submarines, so is not a licensed contractor. Our first house, when it was being built, he did all the electrical himself, and assumed that it would all be gone over with a fine-tooth comb before being approved, but the inspector, when he came to sign off on it, said, "I've been in and out of here a few times - you look as though you know what you're doing", and signed the permit. Mr. Jyn said he was never so scared as when he had to flip that main breaker and power the house up, but it didn't go up in flames, and though we don't live there anymore, we drive by it occasionally, and it's still there 35 years later, so I'm guessing the wiring was fine.

When we put an addition on our current house 6 years ago, we only had the contractors put up the shell and do the exterior finish work...we did everything from electrical to insulation, drywall, flooring, a cedar ceiling, and all the trim work, and most of the work for a gas fireplace (the actual firebox installation and hookup had to be done by a licensed contractor) The inspector only came through a couple of times to check progress, but was impressed with the quality of the work and signed off on all of it without a problem despite Mr Jyn not being licensed in any of the work we did.

So I would guess that if the Duggars and/or Austin have enough experience in various facets of building they would not have a problem having an inspector approve their work.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

As I've mentioned, my husband has done wiring in our houses. He has electrician training, though for nuclear submarines, so is not a licensed contractor. Our first house, when it was being built, he did all the electrical himself, and assumed that it would all be gone over with a fine-tooth comb before being approved, but the inspector, when he came to sign off on it, said, "I've been in and out of here a few times - you look as though you know what you're doing", and signed the permit. Mr. Jyn said he was never so scared as when he had to flip that main breaker and power the house up, but it didn't go up in flames, and though we don't live there anymore, we drive by it occasionally, and it's still there 35 years later, so I'm guessing the wiring was fine.

When we put an addition on our current house 6 years ago, we only had the contractors put up the shell and do the exterior finish work...we did everything from electrical to insulation, drywall, flooring, a cedar ceiling, and all the trim work, and most of the work for a gas fireplace (the actual firebox installation and hookup had to be done by a licensed contractor) The inspector only came through a couple of times to check progress, but was impressed with the quality of the work and signed off on all of it without a problem despite Mr Jyn not being licensed in any of the work we did.

So I would guess that if the Duggars and/or Austin have enough experience in various facets of building they would not have a problem having an inspector approve their work.

I don't have a problem with the electrical work your husband did due to his experience & knowledge of electricity.   Austin is a whole different story though. I worked with a lady whose husband was an electrical engineer who wired their house for an all house type generator. No problem with that also as he had knowledge & experience like your husband.   I think electricity is a more dangerous thing to work with than putting in insulation, doing drywall, laying floors,  masonry & the other jobs that Austin has learned by doing. It can  have deadly consequences if not done correctly.   

Just another note:  My good friend's husband was a licensed master electrician & their son followed in his dad's footsteps.   The son attended 3-4 years of the electrician votech program in high school & then he went on to get his license & become a master electrician with more years of schooling after graduation, along with with working years as a journeyman & apprentice.  His schooling alone probably equals the number of years that Austin (&rest of the Duggars) have been flipping houses. Who would you want doing the electrical work in your house?  

(For all I know, Austin could have had licensed contractors to do the more intricate things like the hookups.  I just doubt it.)

@Jynnan tonnix  My post wasnt meant directly to you. I just referenced your post at the beginning.  😊

• Love 10
On 12/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, Barb23 said:

I don't watch the show, so I didn't actually see them working in the log cabin, but from descriptions read here I had visions of them running an extension cord (or a chain of several cords) from the big house to the cabin. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, GeeGolly said:

I only skimmed it as well. It seems the septic system isn't working properly. I don't think Austin installed it though. But apparently the seller has to have the system inspected before they sell.

Does that vary by state?  I always thought it was the buyer's responsibility.   I bought my first house w/a septic system in 2017 (NY) and my realtor suggested that I get it suspected.  So I got the septic tank inspected as well as an add'l house inspection.

• Love 2

Austin is truly amazing - how does he make time for ALL of that? Isn't just the FF/EMT part a bit, um, time consuming? Yet he can do that, run a business, flip houses, be a "commercial contractor", have many hobbies, be the world's best hubby (no wait, that's Derek?), be a very involved dad to Giddyup, & etc. etc. Austin must have something mere mortals do not possess.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 3:55 AM, mynextmistake said:

At least he’s licking the plate and not the counters!

That's probably a Duggar rule: Always start by licking your own plate. After that, it's whoever gets their tongue down on the item first. 

12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Commercial Contractor? I guess that doesn't require a license, since it's known that he doesn't have one.

Hey, he charges money for it. It must be Commercial!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 6
3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Does that vary by state?  I always thought it was the buyer's responsibility.   I bought my first house w/a septic system in 2017 (NY) and my realtor suggested that I get it suspected.  So I got the septic tank inspected as well as an add'l house inspection.

I assume it varies by state. I'm my area you can buy a home without an inspection on the home or a septic system, but it's not recommended. Most home buyers put a bid on a home with the contingent of an inspection. I have no idea what the rules are for sellers in various states, I Googled Arkansas after reading the complaint against Austin.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I saw that he is wearing a St. Paul first responder shirt. I am somewhat familiar with that county (Madison). If it is anything like my county--and I have no doubt it is--then he is probably a volunteer on call. For instance, my county does not have a professional fire department and though we do have an ambulance service, they usually get lost when they go to rural areas. So, all firemen in our county are volunteer, and a lot of the best first responders for medical emergencies are on call but work other full-time jobs. They're all trained. 

When my grandfather fell and suffered a severe concussion, we called 911, and it took over 30 minutes for hospital EMTs to respond. They got lost. The first responders who lived down the road drove like maniacs to get here, never got lost, and had him stabilized before the EMTs ever got there.

They basically walk around with walkie talkies on all the time as they go about their normal day, and if they are in the area, they come running. So, it is one of those volunteer things that is occasional/situational and not like a regular shift.

But if Austin is genuinely involved in his rural county's firefighter and EMT efforts, I will not knock that. Those guys do good work for people in the counties they live in. I suspect he no longer is involved for st paul though since he moved to a different county. 

Clarify: He is wearing St Paul rescue when he is with Gideon in the hospital in that montage

This is all cool, & I live in a rural area as well where there are volunteer first responders. They actually arrived in pretty good time when we needed them.

That said it wasn't specified that he is a volunteer, which I point out only because the whole thing is written like the dude should be wearing a cape.

At least he seems to be doing his own thing & maybe isn't as tethered to 'The Family'.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

This is all cool, & I live in a rural area as well where there are volunteer first responders. They actually arrived in pretty good time when we needed them.

That said it wasn't specified that he is a volunteer, which I point out only because the whole thing is written like the dude should be wearing a cape.

At least he seems to be doing his own thing & maybe isn't as tethered to 'The Family'.

Oh I don't disagree that Joy's description is overhyped. But I don't find it odd she doesn't specify it's volunteer. Honestly, where I am, nobody specifies the firemen and first responders are volunteer either. It probably wouldn't even occur to me to make that specification except for here where it is being discussed. So, I give Joy a pass on that specifically. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5