Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

We also need to keep in mind that their idea of "dating" is far from what most people outside of their cult consider dating.  Yes, they probably saw each other at gatherings, and talked and interacted.  However, I seriously doubt Austin was picking her up at JB's house so they could go to a movie or some other typical dating activity.  

Maybe they were doing their version of "dating", but we can be sure they weren't spending any time alone or really getting to know each other.   They probably weren't even allowed to go out with other couples from their cult.  

Besides, I thought they weren't allowed to date and give away pieces of their hearts. 🤢 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Supposedly the daughters have final say when it comes to the courting/marrying.  JB can suggest strongly but the girls can veto.  This must be true or Jana would have been auctioned off married a long time ago.

Yes, as far as we know, JB hasn't pushed any daughter into marriage with a man she doesn't want to marry. I think he likes and enjoys his kids more than their MOTY does, and wouldn't force a daughter into marriage. But he's pre-screened the serious candidates - remember our discussion of his multi-page questionnaire that Derick, Ben, and Jeremy had to fill out in order to get permission to court? 

JB isn't as extreme as Vaughn Ohlman, who was going to host a "Get Them Married" event (for a mere $1000 fee) to pair off kids of fundie parents into holy matrimony - until he got a lot of public backlash (and probably no like-minded fundies who could cough up a grand to attend). He promotes a straight-up "match 'em before they even meet" system. JB's the presentable public face of this fundie/Quiverfull world. Then there are the Pearls, and this Ohlman nutjob, to remind us what this harsh patriarchal belief system is all about. 

Edited by Jeeves
deets and another link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/28/2019 at 6:40 PM, Sew Sumi said:

This might be the most real and natural photo I have seen from this family.  This group of siblings really seem to like each other.  I can't imagine this photo of the younger Duggar boys posing with Jessa, Jill or even Jana.

• Love 22

I haven't watched the show is such a long time (love the snark here). Would someone tell me who the boys are with Joy in above picture - thanks in advance. I recognize JoshUa (pig), Jana, John David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joy, Josiah, Joe and miracle Josie. The rest of the clan I can't seem to keep straight.

• LOL 1
12 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

I haven't watched the show is such a long time (love the snark here). Would someone tell me who the boys are with Joy in above picture - thanks in advance. I recognize JoshUa (pig), Jana, John David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joy, Josiah, Joe and miracle Josie. The rest of the clan I can't seem to keep straight.

Neither can Michelle 🤣🤣🤣

She probably calls them all J sweetie.

• LOL 14
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Joy and Austin seem to genuinely love each other, and are happy. At least from what we're allowed to see. I think Joy is my favorite of the Duggar girls. 

She's become my favorite, too.  Although I didn't care for Austin at first, if Joy's happy with him, then that's what matters.  She's shown more grace in her young age than I would have expected, and she's a beautiful young woman, inside and out.  I admire her faith.  

• Love 15
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Very nice words and I'm sure the sentiments are genuine, but I wonder who wrote the post? It's too well composed to be a product of Michelle's homefoolin'.

That's what I thought?  Beautiful - who wrote it - surely not Joy.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That's what I thought?  Beautiful - who wrote it - surely not Joy.

One of TLC's interns I suppose. Or whomever is working as their publicist these days. I fully expect a Daily Fail article shortly. 

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 3

Joy had what looked like a less than healthy pregnancy with her first and a horrible labor & resulting emergency C-section. She lost Annabell in utero...I hope she gets herself checked out by a real OB. She may not be built for back to back pregnancies and "all the children that God allows".

• Love 9

We've speculated that it may be hard for Joy as all the baby girls are born. She and Austin have a very healthy attitude, especially in the face of Lauren's never ending grief and depression.

• Love 19
On 11/1/2019 at 12:56 PM, BitterApple said:

Very nice words and I'm sure the sentiments are genuine, but I wonder who wrote the post? It's too well composed to be a product of Michelle's homefoolin'.

Yeah. I do not believe Joy would use the word "dichotomy," for instance, and the post is very well-constructed. We've seen no evidence that MEchelle has that level of fluency and no one in the family reads. It is a very good post but I don't believe they wrote it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Yeah. I do not believe Joy would use the word "dichotomy," for instance, and the post is very well-constructed. We've seen no evidence that MEchelle has that level of fluency and no one in the family reads. It is a very good post but I don't believe they wrote it.

Austin could’ve helped her with it.  He doesn’t say many words, but he seems to be reasonably intelligent. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 11/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, Nysha said:

We've speculated that it may be hard for Joy as all the baby girls are born. She and Austin have a very healthy attitude, especially in the face of Lauren's never ending grief and depression.

Over a heavy period. Smh. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Probably a filter. She said in the comments that she's never colored her hair.

Ah okay! I thought it looked darker than usual, but I would have been genuinely surprised if Joy had dyed it.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

The bangs are cute but her hair looks dirty to me. 

I don't even care if her hair looks dirty. If she actually has agency to experiment and choose various hair styles, good for her.

Sad no Duggar kid was allowed to try various hairstyles in the tween stage or ever.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Madtown said:

nevermind

4 hours ago, louannems said:

Do you mean Joy? She does look like Amy here.

Yes. I fixed it..lol I had just read Jilly's thread, so her name was in my head..lol

Edited by Madtown
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy's got fringe. I almost didn't recognize her.

I will say that I actually believe the text under the photo unlike many of Joy's sisters' posts.  This may have been an arranged marriage,  but I see actual affection between Austin and Joy.  

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I will say that I actually believe the text under the photo unlike many of Joy's sisters' posts.  This may have been an arranged marriage,  but I see actual affection between Austin and Joy.  

They seem compatible with each other, and I agree with you that their affection for each other seems genuine. It manages to be much less curated-seeming/artificial but not as ineptly staged as some of her other sisters' social media posts about their husbands.

I feel like their marriage is the most likely one to have still happened if there had never been any show. I don't think Jill, Jessa, or Jinger would have found their spouses without that exposure/lure. Second place for most likely to still happen would probably be Joe and Kendra. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 23
18 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Sad no Duggar kid was allowed to try various hairstyles in the tween stage or ever.

Let's  not forget the older girls went through their home perm stage.  They also did that thing with combing over their halfway side-parted hair in the front &tucked behind their ear leaving the back  just hanging. Even Anna got in on that look. 

As for the boys, we all know most of them get hit with the receding hair line curse that leaves them with that awful poof in front when they hit around 16.  So not many options for them. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 11
On 11/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Joy's got fringe. I almost didn't recognize her.

I think Joy looks lovely, but I have always thought she was the most naturally pretty of the girls anyway. I love that she tried a new style. This is really a nice picture of them both, and they really do look happy. Kudos to them for that.

• Love 17
13 hours ago, Zella said:

They seem compatible with each other, and I agree with you that their affection for each other seems genuine. It manages to be much less curated-seeming/artificial but not as ineptly staged as some of her other sisters' social media posts about their husbands.

I feel like their marriage is the most likely one to have still happened if there had never been any show. I don't think Jill, Jessa, or Jinger would have found their spouses without that exposure/lure. Second place for most likely to still happen would probably be Joe and Kendra. 

They do seem very natural with each other and into the same things. I don't think Joy goes along with a lot of things to make him happy, I think she likes them. 

• Love 10