Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

It always cracks me up when people say "oh you'll never get shingles since you had chicken pox" - what?  I'm old enough to hear it fairly often but young enough to know it's incorrect. Anyway, hopefully they get little Israel vaccinated for everything, at least the typical "baby shots" (good term!) if he's healthy enough for it. He'll be around soooo many people, and likely in a lot of different locations. I can imagine them being anti-vaccine, but seems like the original Duggar kids got most of the common shots, so hopefully the Dillard kids will too.

They scheduled Izzy to be at that ALIVE conference in June or July. Hope he gets his vaccinations before hanging out with that crowd.

U can't be serious. This baby is only a day old fresh from the womb

I made a comment before about how Derick doesn't look exceptionally healthy or sturdy, and seeing this picture of Dan cements it for me. They look so much alike, but Dan just looks so much happier (not saying Derick isn't happy to be a dad, just in general) and healthier. I can't explain it, just something about the look in his eye. I'm glad Cathy has him!

i guess I don't see it, but then I think Derrick is more attractive to me, then Ben.

Here, Dan looks so much older than Derrick does in the picture of the new family.

For all y'all that had mild chicken pox: no worries, I'm balancing you out.  I never got chicken pox but instead went right to shingles at the age of 5 (my sisters got the chicken pox).  I still have the scars.  Then I got shingles again as a senior in college, but nothing since (yet).  Given my history, I should probably look into the vaccine, since I just turned 50.  I do hope that the kids get vaccinated.

I'm not a big fan of babies, but I have to admit that Izzy is pretty damn cute.

• Love 2

Izzy is darn cute. I'm hopeful since Derrick is joking about him playing in the NFL that he will go to college. Aren't most (if not all) recruited from college?  I think Derrick is going to have Izzy in team sports!

• Love 1

The girl name they had chosen for the baby is Isela (I saw it on cc). Pronounced Is-Sail-Uh.

Isela is of Hebrew origin and its meaning is 'devoted to God'.

• Love 1
(edited)
i guess I don't see it, but then I think Derrick is more attractive to me, then Ben.

Here, Dan looks so much older than Derrick does in the picture of the new family.

I think the beard ages Dan a bit. My son was bummed that he never got carded on his 21st birthday. I told him, "It's the BEARD." We're season ticket holders for football and basketball at the university that I work for, and the people who sit around us assumed that he was my HUSBAND and were shocked when I corrected them. My son has has scruff since high school. Facial hair ages you. 

Bin-jer-min might be buff, but if forced (at gunpoint) to pick between Bin and Derick, I'd pick the tall dork with the college degree and the dimples. My eyes would permanently freeze in the rolling-into-the-back-of-my-head position (according to my Nana, who always claimed that your face would freeze that way, if you keep doing that)  whenever that mush mouthed astrophysicist, Bin, would say something dumb. Which would be constant. Pretty isn't everything. 

And a fist pump for Derick mentioning organized sports in the People article. Maybe there's hope that Izzy will be able to do normal kid things, like organized sports, Scouts (aren't Dan and Derick both Eagle Scouts?), and SCHOOL. I can't wait for the Very Special Episode when a 6'5" Izzy throws down a monster dunk on Jim Bob and the smug uncles on the Duggar side (Josh and John-David, I'm looking at both of you). Here's to putting up a hoop in the Dillard driveway and having the neighborhood kids over for a game of pick-up in about 8 to 10 years.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

What Derick actually said in the episode was Selah with the meaning of pause and reflect.  That is the definition of the word selah.  I think closed captioning didn't quite catch it correctly.  That happens.   

• Love 2

My sister-in-law got shingles a couple of years ago.   She was way, way, younger than 50.   My brother went right out and demanded the shingles vaccine after calling our mom to make sure he'd had chicken pox.   I told him he had.  He didn't believe me. 

My grandmother had shingles so badly it hurt to wear clothes.  My grandmother never complained about anything, ever, this she complained about, a lot.  So my mom demanded the shingles vaccine the day she first heard about it on the news.   She had it so early they didn't have a place for it on the chart and now they say they don't have a record of her having had it.   But maybe time for a booster?  I'll look into that.   

I don't know that not getting the chicken pox vaccine is proof positive the Duggars don't vaccinate at all.  The vaccine didn't come out until after kid number 7 was born.   By then the'd gotten 7 kids through life quite happily sans vaccine so I could see them saying, we don't need this one, thanks.  But maybe not saying that about others?

Of course they could be antivaxxers, I wouldn't put it past them but I don't know the pox are conclusive proof that they aren't.  

And it certainly doesn't inform what Jill may or may not decide for the Wizard of IDD.

• Love 1

You cannot get the Shingles vaccine until you are 60 years old. There is a medical reason for that. Like all rules, there are exceptions to policy but it is rare and only a Dr can change it. My b/f could not get the vaccine until he turned 60 even though I was having an active case of shingles.

We'll see about organized sports, scouts, and school for sure in a few years. However, I think it would be safe to say that if Jill has anything to say about it, all three would be a big no. That kid will attend homeschool using Gothard approved materials. He'll be lucky to go to clown college. He'll play sports informally with his numerous cousins. (If Jill allows him to wear shorts while engaged in sporting activities, that in itself will be a huge concession.) He'll never put on a Boy Scout uniform. Given that Derick went along with the ridiculous courtship rules, agreed to a Duggar style wedding, lives in a JimBoob owned house, and has never shown any inclination to challenge any of it, I can't see him growing a pair and fighting for his kids to have any semblance of a normal upbringing. Sucks to be married to a Duggar.

• Love 10

Applause to your post, Hpmec.  These people so do not want their adoring public to see them for what they are, and how horrifyingly off-base their belief system is.  I would not put it past them to deliberately make statements in the media like Derick did just to continue the smoke and mirrors that seems to fool so many.  Sports, school, friends, any kind of "normalcy", well, the proof will be in the pudding.  As is true with everything Duggar related....what they say and what they do are pretty much two different things. 

• Love 2

We'll see about organized sports, scouts, and school for sure in a few years. However, I think it would be safe to say that if Jill has anything to say about it, all three would be a big no. That kid will attend homeschool using Gothard approved materials. He'll be lucky to go to clown college. He'll play sports informally with his numerous cousins. (If Jill allows him to wear shorts while engaged in sporting activities, that in itself will be a huge concession.) He'll never put on a Boy Scout uniform. Given that Derick went along with the ridiculous courtship rules, agreed to a Duggar style wedding, lives in a JimBoob owned house, and has never shown any inclination to challenge any of it, I can't see him growing a pair and fighting for his kids to have any semblance of a normal upbringing. Sucks to be married to a Duggar.

Have to agree. Right now Derick just sounds exactly like every other new father out there. But time will tell. They've been "together" a little over a year and there's been zero evidence that Derick has any kind of gumption whatsoever. Jilly-Muffin makes the decisions here, and if she's ever on the fence about something - which is doubtful - Boob will step in to "guide" them.

Ok, all.  Hi, I'm here.

1) I've moved the discussion of gay marriage and/or divorce and religious opinions thereon to the religion thread.  You can continue the discussion there, but only as long as it is respectful and not hate-filled.

2) Please cease and desist with the chicken pox/shingles conversation. It's not directly relevant to anything we've seen on the show so far and I'm not sure there's anything else to say anyway.

3) Most importantly: Do we know who won the baby pool?

• Love 3

They may do Boy Scouts, especially if they could put together a group of like minded boys and Derick and Dan could be Den Leaders. That's a pretty conservative approved activity, and it would still be family led and controlled, even while allowing the boys access to some new skills and new friends.

(edited)

What WOULD they do if a son-in-law cheated?

Michelle's stupid advice to her daughters about always being available because you are the only one who can fill that special need made me a little crazy!

Really?  If that were the case, men wouldn't cheat on their wives.  

Some of those considered the most beautiful, sexually desirable women in our society were cheated on by their husbands. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and maybe they weren't all that to live with, but seriously -- doing the horizontal mambo anytime he wants to is no guarantee any husband is not going to cheat. Blaming a wife for her husband's infidelity is ridiculous. And telling one's daughters that they're always automatically at fault is untrue.

I submit the only reason why Jim Boob hasn't cheated on J-Chelle is because he can't attract anyone else. He makes it clear by his words and actions she's not coming across with the goods often enough for him, doesn't he?

One more thing: I have no idea what Jim Boob would do to a SIL that cheated on one of his daughters. (Ask for details?) The daughter in question would be disowned by J-Chelle. I'm betting she'd even lose the "keep sweet" BS over that one.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 2

Sad as it might be to say, I'm betting there are quite a few women who would love to be Jim Bob's wife. Look at how many people ask Cody Brown to be wife number 5. Most would probably be divorced, with children out of control, who have had money trouble, and they look at the Duggars and they see something that looks like a fantasy life to them. Michelle's life looks really good.

• Love 2

There is no accounting for taste. Look at the women who line up to marry men on death row.

Israel was the biggest baby born at the hospital this year.

Israel reminds me of my cousins. There were all between 23 and 25 (yes 25) inches long and 10+ lbs.

They are now all over 6ft tall, even the girl.  He's going to be a tall guy.

• Love 4

Sad as it might be to say, I'm betting there are quite a few women who would love to be Jim Bob's wife. Look at how many people ask Cody Brown to be wife number 5. Most would probably be divorced, with children out of control, who have had money trouble, and they look at the Duggars and they see something that looks like a fantasy life to them. Michelle's life looks really good.

Yes, there may indeed be other women who want to be married to Boob, for all the reasons you list. But that's because of the money. Me-chelle's life before TLC couldn't have looked attractive to any sane woman. But the topic here is cheating. Agree with missyvixen - something tells me there aren't Boob-groupies following the Stink Bus from church to church, lusting after his desirable bones.

3) Most importantly: Do we know who won the baby pool?

Looking at the spreadsheet, we weren't even close! Last date was April 3 and no one chose Israel on the sheet. One David as a first name. Anonymous guessed 9 lbs. 9 oz. and I guessed 9 lbs. 11 oz. but no one got the cigar. For length: Spencer Hastings, Lillybee, GEML and Bayarea4 guessed correctly. So we did something right... :)

• Love 6

I checked into it and discovered there is a way for a boy being raised Duggar style to become a Boy Scout without a full on fundie mom like Jill freaking out. It's the Lone Scout program -little known but allows kids in rural areas or those who for whatever reason can't join a traditional pack to become a scout. The boy is mentored one on one. Since both Derick and Dan have been heavily involved in scouting, they'd be ideal as mentors. Can't see Jill objecting too much as long as it didn't involve outsiders and the activities were planned and monitored by family.

I think the jury is still out on whether Derick will man up and create some normalcy for his children. If he wanted to marry Jill, he obviously had to do it on JB's terms. If he created waves during the courtship then he most likely would have not been allowed into the family. Derick may also realize that some battles aren't worth fighting currently, especially if losing those battles could create $$$ problems.

I do think once he sees how Izzy's childhood starts to differ from his own that he'll put his foot down more. Especially if Cathy passes while Derick is still young or if Dan has children that end up passing their cousins in maturity as they grow up.

Even if Izzy and all the other Bible babies are homeschooled, Derick would have them in Christian sports leagues and Boy Scouts and other kiddie activities. Derick may also push for a stronger homeschooled curriculum then Gothard approved courses.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yay no pictures of baby RickJamesBitch with Boob or Mullet that I've seen. I'm doubting MeChelle is all gaga over this baby like she would be if Binessa had one.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1
(edited)

You are right, Fuzzysox. The first offspring of Bin and Jessa will be smothered by J'Chelle, whose crush on Bin is downright comical. That poor kid will have to suffer through kisses and frontal hugs aplenty.

And JoanArc, I agree. If Boy Scouts are perceived by Jill to be a gay friendly group (and Josh will certainly weigh in on that) Izzy may have to settle for Alert as a consolation prize. Poor little guy, not even a week old, and already the future looks grim.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 7

Derick may have been attracted to the Duggars because he was looking for male role models on how to be a man following his own father's death so young. But he knows what a father raising a son looks like, and he won't need to turn to Jim Bob to mirror that. There will be some changes in the Dillard household - there are in every family.

• Love 3

Derick may have been attracted to the Duggars because he was looking for male role models on how to be a man following his own father's death so young. But he knows what a father raising a son looks like, and he won't need to turn to Jim Bob to mirror that. There will be some changes in the Dillard household - there are in every family.

I hope you're right.  The eldest is usually the trail blazer, and parents seem to be hardest on them.  Israel is going to be big enough to handle this, and hopefully (unlike Josh) he'll advocate for his younger sisters, as well as his brothers.  Josh has shown he's willing to bend certain rules, and that's often the beginning of the end.  Even if Jill is as militant as Michelle, her kids will be surrounded by cousins with laxer rules.

(edited)

Agree - Derick lost his father at a young age, but not so young that he missed out on any stages of psychological development. He does have him as a role model and may never ask for Boob's advice and guidance. But Boob doesn't wait to be asked. Nothing will convince me he'll keep silent if Derick makes parental decisions of which he doesn't approve.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

something tells me there aren't Boob-groupies following the Stink Bus from church to church, lusting after his desirable bones.

I'm no fashion model, but just the thought of sexytimes with Jim Boob Duggar is enough to make me lose my will to live. $20 says he still doesn't know where the clitoris is.

• Love 16

I don't think that little one will ever get to play PopWarner or Little Tyke Football. I also don't think he will be permitted to join Scouts. My take on Derick is that his dad's death was a life altering experience and, in grief and need for hope, he turned to religion. Up until his dad's death, there was nothing remotely fundy or isolationist about his life. He went to a public university, participated in sports and extracurricular, and he was living a life like most young men. He dated in high school, from what I understand. Then, his dad dies and his world is flipped upside down. He starts being more involved in Church and decides to go on a mission. He calls up various, high profile IFB men to be prayer partners and starts listening to their sales pitch of biblical principles on courtship giving you the best chance at a stable family and tons of kids...and, "hey! I have this beautiful daughter who is compassionate and nurturing." Of course he drank the KoolAid because that's what people in the desert due. There's comfort in strict rules and a life where your decisions are made for you. He probably found comfort in the strict rules because life without a parent is scary and knowing death can happen so young is frightening. He jumped from his dad's death into college, his mission, courtship, his mom's illness, marriage, and now a family. The poor guy hasn't had time to stop and think about what all this will mean ten years from now when he's faced with the ALERT versus Boy Scout choice. I'm sure he and Jill have talked about how they will raise kids and he probably compromised his own views to line up with Jill's. But, talking about a future family and the choices you will make is all hypothetical- now there's a real child who needs a real education and a real life. We shall see what happens.

• Love 15
(edited)

Didn't Derrick seek out Jbob to be a prayer buddy?

Based on other poster's info - a "prayer partner" is mostly just a financial donor you pray with every couple of week when they check in on their investment.

Once the old man dies I think the whole cult will slowly die too.

I think you're right. Even thought he's out as leader, he still runs it all from the shadows. Once he passes on - the schisms, backbiting, and natural consequences of short-sighted theology will bring it all down.

Of course he drank the KoolAid because that's what people in the desert due.

Very nice metaphor. Much truth.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

I'm no fashion model, but just the thought of sexytimes with Jim Boob Duggar is enough to make me lose my will to live. $20 says he still doesn't know where the clitoris is.

He might not know! Perhaps I'll make a vagina cake that I made for anatomy class once. I used a Tic Tac for clitoris but for Boob I'll label it with icing.

• Love 4

The Duggar family don't vaccinate all the kids.  Most of them were sick with the chicken pox a few years ago, and the parents were happy because now they wouldn't get shingles, they said.  WRONG.  I of course don't know what the Dillards will do.  Yesterday the California legislature got a visit from Robert Kennedy imploring them NOT to tighten up rules on people excluding their kids from vaccination, saying it would cause a holocaust if all these kids do get vaccines.  Like, go home and shut up, Robert.  We've had epidemics of measles and whooping cough lately, and children dying who were too young to get a vaccine or were too ill to get one.

My second - (this was 20 years ago) about about 3 weeks of age got whooping cough.  It was horrible and I read everything I could get my hands on to diagnose him.  Constant coughing, throwing up everything.  No doctor would be believe me.  Finally after all their horrible tests, they finally agreed that it was whooping cough.  I spent the two months dealing with breathing machines, dye tests and medicines that I never wanted to deal with.  He could have easily died.  Luckily I was breast-feeding him and he got some of my antibodies. I was giving the poor thing nebulizer treatments throughout the day and night.  

My husband and I even got a touch of it.  Luckily, we had been vaccinated years ago so it wasn't so bad.  

After that, I realized how important it is to keep your newborns at home as much as possible until they have had vaccinations. I wasn't dragging him around and such, and have no idea where he caught it - but it was horrible. 

I know they are pushing many vaccines now- but the basic (IMO) are worth it.  Whopping cough sucked and the doctors first told me that it was a disease that had not been seen in forever.  THey were wrong.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are totally out. They were not acceptable even way back when I grew up as a fundamentalist (lite) back in the 70's.

I forget why but it's the creeds and motto or something. Plus, the Mormons are heavily into Scouting. Now they accept gay leaders. Girl Scouts are out because of their contributions to Planned Parenthood and other obvious reasons of girls being allowed to do things.

Some Baptist boys and evangelicals do AWANA clubs which is actually OK. My boys did it for a while. It's like Scouting but not the official Boy Scouts. They do fun things etc. Same idea. I doubt a Duggar will even do that.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1

As far as scouts goes, if it becomes important, a compromise can be made by allowing their son to join Trail Life USA. http://www.traillifeusa.com/who-we-are/

It's an alternative to Boy Scouts begun a few years ago by Christian churches and organizations after the "dust-up" re:allowing openly gay scouts and scoutmasters. I don't know a lot about it but I saw a discussion about it on a talk show that said it's growing. I checked out the website just now and saw that they've devised a strategy for carrying over achievement awards. Probably not up to Duggar standards but a possible alternative if Derrick really wants it for his son. 

(edited)

derickdillard may shock us all and suddenly get a backbone. As others have said, it seems that he and Jilly Muffin are at the "polite" stage of their relationship; it's all about holding hands and doing whatever it takes to avoid conflict. There will come a day (probably after Jilly Muffin manages to present him with three kids in three years) when Derick will remember what it was like to actually do something besides baby raisin', dealing with an eternally pregnant wife, and listening to his father in law drone on about subjects he knows nothing about. I'm also wondering what will happen if and when there is an unpleasant reality check involving his new fame -- old girlfriend comes forward, someone who may not have liked him decides to give an interview to People, for example. He had a taste of it with Cat Gate, but I don't think he'll be so lucky in the future. I predict the shit will hit the fan.

I'm also rooting for derickdillard's mom and brother to provide the saner voice of reason. They couldn't do a thing about the wedding or about his wife's continuing allegiance to her parents, but there will come a day when he's pressured to quit his job so he can be a "full time cast member" on 19KAC. I think he'll decline. I think another one of those moments will come when derickdillard finally figures out that his wife doesn't have even a basic education and he doesn't want his kids to suffer the same fate, and his mom and brother will finally break their silence to support his decision that the kids will go to school outside the home. What's Jim Boob going to do -- tell Jilly Muffin to divorce him?

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 4

BRAIN BLEACH, BRAIN BLEACH  ewwwwww

• Love 5
(edited)

You cannot get the Shingles vaccine until you are 60 years old. There is a medical reason for that. Like all rules, there are exceptions to policy but it is rare and only a Dr can change it. My b/f could not get the vaccine until he turned 60 even though I was having an active case of shingles.

Really?  Is that true everywhere?  I'm 41 and they're pushing the Shingles vaccine on me every time I go to any store with a pharmacy. Maybe I look 60?

I hope Israel ends up living a way more 'normal' life than so many Duggars have. Vaccinations, sports, etc... it's probably too much to hope for school?  But I'll hope anyway.

ETA: oops, sorry, just saw the new mod note. Didn't mean to mess anything up on the vaccine front.

Edited by NikSac

I'm still trying to get over that not ONE picture of Boob and Mullet with the baby or with Jill. Something smells bad.

Was the stink bus out of gas and they don't have the money to fill it that they are not all over the new baby? So beyond strange to me. Anyone else?

• Love 5

I'm still trying to get over that not ONE picture of Boob and Mullet with the baby or with Jill. Something smells bad.

Was the stink bus out of gas and they don't have the money to fill it that they are not all over the new baby? So beyond strange to me. Anyone else?

Either the hospital limited the number of visitors/family, or they're saving it all for the special. Probably a little of both.

• Love 4
You cannot get the Shingles vaccine until you are 60 years old. There is a medical reason for that.

I got mine at 58.  I asked my doctor for it and she said it would be quite expensive at her office (over $200) but that I could get it for about $75 at Walgreen's Pharmacy.  She called the pharmacy and set it up for me and I went get it there the same day.  Neither place brought up my age as being a factor.  

I'm so behind on all things Duggar.  I've a couple of shows on my DVR and a few threads here to catch up  on.

eta--Meant to say CVS Pharmacy, not Walgreen's.

Edited by Gemma Violet

I wanted the shingles vaccine when I was 59 and my doctor wouldn't give it to me because I wasn't old enough.  I'm sorry I didn't fight that--a few months later I got shingles on my face and it even went into my eye.  I knew I needed that shot--my grandmother had shingles 3 times and my daughter had it twice before the age of 22.  This was when the shot first came out but I think they are more flexible now.

Edited by riverblue22

Either the hospital limited the number of visitors/family, or they're saving it all for the special. Probably a little of both.

I'm thinking about Boob and Mullett being even in one picture or in a picture at Jill's house' Nothing! Not even Famy.

• Love 2