Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Aside from the precariously placed mirror and the lack of someplace to keep my phone, water, and chapstick at night, I think the bedroom makeover makes sense for their family. It would have worked for me when my boys were tiny. They have two very young children, another on the way, and they bedshare. Having play space for the kids in their room is good for if Jessa wants to sneak in a nap while pregnant and will be helpful if she’s nursing in bed when the new baby comes. The mattress on the floor works well for bedsharing as well. The makeover is great for functionality. It just shouldn’t have been presented as having anything to do with style or design!

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 17

The bedroom makeover reminds me of some of those rental apartments you glimpse when they go tracking down the poverty-level people featured on "Cops", albeit clean; whereas usually the criminal renters make it look pretty obvious they are running a crack house.  Possibly a dorm room.

What it does not look like, is cozy.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

Are you in A2? 

Don’t know about McManda, but I grew up there, went to undergrad there, and go back a couple of times a year because my mom still lives there. Her apartment is less than a half mile from Zingerman’s.

It really is a small world...

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Anyway, the quote that makes me laugh although it's also kinda horrifying (contains Cabbage-Patch dolls!)

"Gothard also insists that there are some objects in the world which have demons attached to them such as souvenirs a person may pick up in a foreign country or pieces of art. For children, this includes things like Cabbage Patch dolls, which back in the 1980s were forbidden in any Gothard-run household. In some cases where families have converted to Gothard’s teachings, they have had to go through all their belongings and get rid of anything that could be thought to be demon-possessed. "

https://mncriticalthinking.com/2017/06/22/bill-gothard-iblp-heaven-looks-like/

Oh, heck, here's the next part. The music thing is also so silly -- and people let this weird guy cram all this down their throats. And I expect that it's back there lurking in the minds of some or even many Duggars even today, although they may not still be conscious of how it influences them: 

"Any tapes, records or CDs of any kind of music except classical or hymns would have to be gotten rid of, even contemporary Christian music which is considered too worldly. Gothard families must rid themselves of any music with a rhythmic, repetitive beat or where the performer is breathing too heavily into the microphone or even music that fades out rather than comes to a clearly defined end because Gothard claims that such music is too unsettling."

You bring back such memories!  We weren’t allowed to have cabbage patch dolls until the trend was nearly over because of the furor over them bring satanic!

and high school kids were suspended for having walkmen containing non-Christian music tapes outside of school!  

Funnily enough, god said it was ok for my dad to listen to secular records because he liked them, and watch fairly risqué tv shows because my mom liked them!  

9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay so now I’m all twitchy because I think I should have an apostrophe after drivers because plural possessive. 

Maybe I’ll just go back to bed...

You never can be too careful with apostrophes around here!  😁

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

When I was in my twenties I did the "mattress on the floor" thing because I was on an "asian" kick.  It lasted a few months.  

That sketch hanging on the wall of them it's totally creepy.  Didn't they get it in Europe on their honeymoon or something?  It's like, is it supposed to be a caricature or isn't it?

I was going to say too, how creepy that they have a sketch of themselves on their honeymoon over the changing table!  Odd combo of items!  

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Heathen said:

Are you in A2? 

Indeed I am, though if you want to get technical I bought in Saline. I still tell people A2, though.

36 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Don’t know about McManda, but I grew up there, went to undergrad there, and go back a couple of times a year because my mom still lives there. Her apartment is less than a half mile from Zingerman’s.

It really is a small world...

I went to school in Dexter, spent a year and a half at MSU and hated it, and transferred back home to finish out at UM. Now I technically live in Saline but work in A2.

Small world for sure!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Madtown said:

Is there a reason they aren't able to get a bigger home or expand this one? Whenever she posts pictures of the kids in the backyard, the yard looks so big. I always wonder if there is room to add on. Maybe Austin could add a bedroom and bath? It baffles me why they stay in this small home when having a third child. I wouldn't leave out a 4th in the future either.

In the Instagram comments, Jessa said that her brothers have installed French doors in her and Bin's bedroom that open out onto a newly built outdoor deck. She said she'll be posting photos of all of that soon. That does sound like a nice addition that will let in a lot of light and perhaps allow the boys to play outside while Jessa sits just inside with the baby. Since those Duggar boys are "so handy," I bet there are plans to enlarge this house. 

She also said that once Henry turned 2, he joined his big bro in the other bedroom. So sounds like the boys supposedly sleep in the other room. Does it sound like Jessa got pregnant as soon as Henry left their bed? I guess Bin gets 9 months of "sexy time." 

Also in the comments, several people said her bedroom now looks like a dorm room. Jessa replied, "I guess we like the dorm room look then!" 

Do we know - did Jessa and Bin pick out all of that heavy furniture? or was it foisted upon them when the Duggars fixed up their house while they were on their honeymoon?  

• Love 4

So she's selling off their furniture and re-arranging the leftover to make it look less pathetic, under the guise of "modern minimalist".  Whatever you need to tell yourself, Jessa. 

I'm betting those paint colors were on the clearance "mistake" shelf in the paint section of Lowe's, or leftover from an Austin house flip.  

The only taste Jessa has is in her mouth.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 7

I understand the lighter paint colour- especially since the house is small.

I understand ditching the dark heavy furniture, especially since I don't think they picked anything out themselves.  Wasn't the house makeover a "surprise" after they returned from the honeymoon? 

I understand getting rid of the coffee table which took up a lot of space in the living room.

What I don't understand is getting rid of end tables and nightstands and lamps altogether. She could have bought some smaller ones and Target sells those stick lamps for around $14.99, so at least there would be some light other than overhead fixtures.  The "handy brothers" could have added floating shelves on either side of the bed that would have been useful but not overpowering.  That mirror perched on what looks like a hatbox is a disaster waiting to happen with little kids running around. And if you don't want a headboard at least put the box spring on a frame and get it off the floor. I shudder thinking of the dust bunnies accumulating around the box spring, because we all know she doesn't clean.

An off white rug with little kids is an ill-advised choice.  And no toys in the master bedroom!

I think Jessa is trying to compete with Erin Bates.  They both have 3 kids in a two bedroom house. I'm not crazy about Erin's style- it is a bit too "precious" for my taste, but she wins hands down over Jessa. I'm all for decluttering, but you still need furniture.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, McManda said:

Indeed I am, though if you want to get technical I bought in Saline. I still tell people A2, though.

I went to school in Dexter, spent a year and a half at MSU and hated it, and transferred back home to finish out at UM. Now I technically live in Saline but work in A2.

Small world for sure!

I've been thinking about moving to A2. Macomb isn't working for me. This suburb is a weird combination of Real Housewives and Duck Dynasty, both of which make me deeply uncomfortable. 

On topic: The Seewald living room isn't bad, but the bedroom is awful. Maybe Jessa is angling for new bedroom furniture altogether. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:
10 minutes ago, Heathen said:

This suburb is a weird combination of Real Housewives and Duck Dynasty, both of which make me deeply uncomfortable. 

Heathen, I have come out of lurkdom to say that is the most accurate description of Macomb County I have ever heard.  May I use it?

On topic - Jessa should keep her day job - she’s not a decorator.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Jules59 said:

Heathen, I have come out of lurkdom to say that is the most accurate description of Macomb County I have ever heard.  May I use it?

Please refresh my memory-what exactly is Jessa's day job?

20 minutes ago, Jules59 said:

Of course! Macomb is a strange place. 

• Love 1

She should have called Jana...

Ugh those room “makeovers”... Jessa is not a decorator. They are so bland & unimaginative. I agree that the rooms now look like a low budget college apartment. I think I know the look she’s wanting & she definitely didn’t achieve it. I imagine Jessa was probably wanting a mix of Kendra & Lauren’s homes with a splash of Jinger’s style thrown in. Minimalist + Boho + a dab of Joanna Gaines. All their houses are starting to look the same. Hobby Lobby can’t turn out those fake fiddle leaf fig trees fast enough. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Jess could just get some Dugg brothers to knock out a wall and park a double wide trailer home up against the hole and just weld to attach it the existing oldie moldy home.... lots faster with a summer spawn coming...instant extra bathroom, extra kitchen and the rest of the trailer for storage.....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

Ugh those room “makeovers”... Jessa is not a decorator. They are so bland & unimaginative. I agree that the rooms now look like a low budget college apartment. I think I know the look she’s wanting & she definitely didn’t achieve it. I imagine Jessa was probably wanting a mix of Kendra & Lauren’s homes with a splash of Jinger’s style thrown in. Minimalist + Boho + a dab of Joanna Gaines. All their houses are starting to look the same. Hobby Lobby can’t turn out those fake fiddle leaf fig trees fast enough. 

Lulz! A couple days ago my husband and I were driving past the front of Hobby Lobby on our way to Barnes and Noble. We stopped to let several people cross and they were all dragging carts with those fake trees! Is that the new "thing" these days?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Lulz! A couple days ago my husband and I were driving past the front of Hobby Lobby on our way to Barnes and Noble. We stopped to let several people cross and they were all dragging carts with those fake trees! Is that the new "thing" these days?

Yes. Those trees, fake potted succulents, fake box woods & eucalyptus. Geometric shapes, white subway tile, hipster hats hung on the wall, yarn tapestry, old books, washed out rugs, all white everything.... it’s the popular look on Instagram. I wasn’t really opposed to it & sort of liked it until I saw it everywhere. Now it’s overdone. 

It looks like Hobby Lobby threw up in everyone’s living room when I see that style now.

Don’t mean to offend anyone, it’s a nice look when done right!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Of course! Macomb is a strange place. 

It’s very strange. I’m an Oakland County gal myself. Well, Minnesota now. But still love Detroit. My grandma’s house on the east side is still standing which is both miraculous and comforting.

Edited by latetotheparty
  • Love 1

Betcha the leaves on the faker trees with have a quarter inch dust on them in less than a couple of months...it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas  a pig sty

The trees with dark fake leaves are dust magnets....the leaves will look flocked....

• Love 14

Check out Josie Bates Balka’s friend Samantha Miller on Instagram (bohodreamerstudio) she’s got a lot of the style that some of these girls are after. Only she uses lots of color & is super creative. Not necessarily my style but very fun to look at. Jessa needed to borrow this chick from Josie for some help. Lol. 

I don’t mind the look if you do it right. Kendra and Lauren seem to have it down with white furnitures, signs and clocks. I’m personally very traditional and love my art and lots of color. Suck it, false idols! 

I cannot live without my nightstands. It can be any kind of table, not just traditional clunky furniture. But I need a drawer for kleenex and pills!  Jessa needs a bed frame, and small nightstands. And I like big pillows with shams if you don’t do a headboard. How is Bin blowing his nose?. 

And totally. Jessa is almost announcing that there was no sex until both kids were out of the bed. Good luck, stuffy-nosed Bin. 

Edited by EmeraldGirl
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t understand how you don’t need a nightstand. Where do you charge your phone, keep your glass of water, eyeglasses, tissue etc? I like to have all those things right by my bed during the night/when I wake up first thing. 

Exactly!  And I had to go back and take a look....  they don't have any lamps, so I guess they use the overhead ceiling light.  For me, that's way too bright when trying to settle down for bed.  I have a feeling they just scatter their crap all over the floor.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Exactly!  And I had to go back and take a look....  they don't have any lamps, so I guess they use the overhead ceiling light.  For me, that's way too bright when trying to settle down for bed.  I have a feeling they just scatter their crap all over the floor.

I don’t have any lamps. Usually the tv provides enough light to get things done before I settle down in bed. When I moved I sold all my bedroom furniture and was without a nightstand for two months. I am single so I used the other side of the bed to hold my eyeglasses etc but I missed having a nightstand quite a bit. The window sill held my water. 

I do like the paint color and the rug. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t have any lamps. Usually the tv provides enough light to get things done before I settle down in bed. When I moved I sold all my bedroom furniture and was without a nightstand for two months. I am single so I used the other side of the bed to hold my eyeglasses etc but I missed having a nightstand quite a bit. The window sill held my water. 

I do like the paint color and the rug. 

Ah ok, see I don't like to watch TV in bed, so no TV.   J & B probably don't either.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

Wow.  Jessa Blessa wasn’t blessed with even one decorative bone in her body.  Not exaggerating when I say that I’ve seen bachelor pads look better.  The thing that was most astonishing to me was the fact that she obviously thinks she did a great job. 😶

• LOL 7
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Wow.  Jessa Blessa wasn’t blessed with even one decorative bone in her body.  Not exaggerating when I say that I’ve seen bachelor pads look better.  The thing that was most astonishing to me was the fact that she obviously thinks she did a great job. 😶

Honestly, I think Ben could have done better.

• Love 11

I've been watching decorating shows for over 25 years. I've always been surprised at the number of Americans (since I mainly watch American television) who are scared of color, particularly colors which aren't "neutral". I like bright colors and colors that aren't neutral, but I seem to be in the minority. Right now "grey" is the "in" neutral. For a long time, it was beige, then grey/green, etc.  I prefer Jessa's minimalist kid friendly style for a family with children (especially in a small house). 

• Love 5
(edited)

So exactly how is she planning on getting out of that bed at 9 months pregnant? What if she needs a c section?  She definitely won’t be getting up from the bed then! And she just copied the same changing table Jana did for Kendra. Real original Jessa 🙄

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 7

The makeover is pitiful.  I wouldn't post it on SM claiming I even had a make over.  More like make under.  I agree the bed is terrible.  At least get a platform bed & a head board.  It does look like a college dorm room.

Henry is too adorable!

• Love 7

I give Jessa and Ben credit for letting their children have age-appropriate, fun toys. I remember the first Duggar specials, but I don't remember the kids having toys then. Of course, the J'slaves were busy raising their siblings, but you'd think the multitude of howlers would have had a toy or three. 

Spurgeon and Henry look clean and happy, too. 

• Love 19
24 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I give Jessa and Ben credit for letting their children have age-appropriate, fun toys. I remember the first Duggar specials, but I don't remember the kids having toys then. Of course, the J'slaves were busy raising their siblings, but you'd think the multitude of howlers would have had a toy or three. 

Spurgeon and Henry look clean and happy, too. 

She also used the correct names for all the toys.  My 2 year old nephew taught me all of the a couple of weeks ago when I was babysitting him.  I was reading him a book about construction vehicles and after I finished all I heard was "Again, Again"

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

The AMA might have a clue for who is funding law school. Mentioned he's planning on being legal counsel for a church after he graduates. Maybe Cross Church is footing the bill?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Also I'm calling total bullshit on her claiming ferpa doesnt apply to her. I was a ta there too, and it most certainly applied to us. If I were derick, I'd report her for her that.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She also used the correct names for all the toys.  My 2 year old nephew taught me all of the a couple of weeks ago when I was babysitting him.  I was reading him a book about construction vehicles and after I finished all I heard was "Again, Again"

Yeah it is amazing she knows what a kitchen ladle is.

Zing zing!

• LOL 21

I think her house looks functional for a family with two toddlers and a baby on the way. I've never used extra lamps if the room had ceiling lights and I don't have art on my walls. Although that's because I'm renting and I don't want to deal with nail holes or Command hooks.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190330-111519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91d166181f40fd778458dd514e9ca968.jpg

That little romper hanging on the closet door is a baby girl thing...ties with bows on the shoulders. No macho D-boy would ever wear that, lest we get get confused as to the gender.

If Bin is stuffed up now, wait til that tree starts collecting dust, which should be in about a week.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, drafan said:

That little romper hanging on the closet door is a baby girl thing...ties with bows on the shoulders. No macho D-boy would ever wear that, lest we get get confused as to the gender.

If Bin is stuffed up now, wait til that tree starts collecting dust, which should be in about a week.

Isn't that at Jinger's house? Or is she dropping a hint.

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Gee, when I paint a room I also wash the windows, curtains/ blinds, bedding and shampoo the carpet. With Ben’s allergies and the boys crawling around, that rug needs to be cleaned or thrown out.

• Love 1