Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

WTAF...”cleansing” meaning they forced all the children to make up impure thoughts to confess or cleansing meaning they forced Jana to break out a mop and the vacuum?

If this is recent, it’s a shameless Duggar ripoff of the Marie Kondo fad.

The idea that anyone would buy this seriously scares me, because these same people also have drivers licenses and vote.

YIKES.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 6

I also think it's not uncommon for Americans to not have art on the walls. 

@Oldernowiser No this isn't recent. This is very old. Gothard was the head of IBLP, and he put together his ideas in the 80s/90s. Hence one his of  big clutter items are cabbage patch dolls which hit their hit heyday about 89? Decluttering has always a certain appeal, but the reasoning behind it is very different for  Marie Kondo and Bill Gothard. 

• Love 4

Most of the fundies I know are not lovers of the arts. It seems unless it is preachy or wholesome, they're not interested. Actually know many fundies who are incredibly offended by Renaissance art. Like, I was working on a project with them, and they refused to include examples of it because of the nudity. And my argument of "This is amazing art!" was greeted with "But they're nekkid!" 😡 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

WTAF...”cleansing” meaning they forced all the children to make up impure thoughts to confess or cleansing meaning they forced Jana to break out a mop and the vacuum?

If this is recent, it’s a shameless Duggar ripoff of the Marie Kondo fad.

The idea that anyone would buy this seriously scares me, because these same people also have drivers licenses and vote.

YIKES.

By "recent" I just meant that it's something IBLP published in 2018. Dunno whether it's something they recorded years ago and didn't release or this is a re-release, or something new they just recorded recently or what. 

I mentioned it but forgot to say why I did -- It's one more evidence that the parents, at least,  haven't pulled loose from IBLP/ATI at all, nor IBLP/ATI from them. The fact that that's a major bond and that it continues never gets talked about. But there it is. 

The cleansing stuff is very Gothard, though, not Marie Kondo. It's cleansing of sin and such, and it's always been all over the Gothard crap. They're not trying to declutter. They're trying to cast out the devil and his influence..... Interesting in light of the way they handled the whole Josh mess, too, of course. 

Gothard may not be in these organizations personally any more, but that's just window dressing. It still all comes from the phony-ass spewings of his brain!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay so now I’m all twitchy because I think I should have an apostrophe after drivers because plural possessive. 

Maybe I’ll just go back to bed...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ozziemom said:

All they seem to put on their walls are pictures of themselves or quotes/words, like Farm. 

In Jessa's living room makeover photos, she shows a big portrait of her and Bin pushing the boys on a swingset (cute) and a big framed photo of the entire Duggar family. But what about a photo of Bin's family? The Duggars are SO self-absorbed!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay so now I’m all twitchy because I think I should have an apostrophe after drivers because plural possessive. 

Maybe I’ll just go back to bed...

I think you should calm down about this one. In written form  and on officialdom documents and such, it seems usually to be called either "driver license" or "driver's license." And, as you mention, both "drivers license" and "drivers' license" could make sense, too. 

In other words -- very very gray area. None of those ways breaks any important rules, as far as I can see. So...not to worry! 

9 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

In Jessa's living room makeover photos, she shows a big portrait of her and Bin pushing the boys on a swingset (cute) and a big framed photo of the entire Duggar family. But what about a photo of Bin's family? The Duggars are SO self-absorbed!

Like when the Duggars sat in the front row for Bin's associate-degree commencement. And the Seewalds had to sit behind them!

Not only is he not JB's and M's kid, JB and M don't even believe in education. That one nearly made me crazy. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

The second I saw that picture and of their living room I wanted to:

paint the walls

angle the sofas (after slip covering them)

ditch the slide

place art on the walls

replace the rug with with something vibrant and patterned with colors matching the bright and vibrant throw pillows I would have tossed on the slip covered sofas and...

Enjoyed a comfortable room. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, PradaKitty said:

The second I saw that picture and of their living room I wanted to:

paint the walls

angle the sofas (after slip covering them)

ditch the slide

place art on the walls

replace the rug with with something vibrant and patterned with colors matching the bright and vibrant throw pillows I would have tossed on the slip covered sofas and...

Enjoyed a comfortable room. 

And preferably a room without Jessa in it. Or is that just me?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jessa has now done her bedroom makeover - there are about 6 or so photos. I understand how having the bed on the floor will be easier for the kids, but it looks like a college kid's apartment to me.

I suppose I should be grateful they've got a picture of themselves kissing and not one of JB and M kissing. 

• LOL 14

Oh Jessa - I was trying to go along with you ... 

At least buy a bed frame! And what is Bin going to do now without his Kleenex and nose spray?! 

Can’t the new sisters-in-law drag her ass back into Hobby Lobby and introduce her to wall hangings? A clock, those cheesy signs. Anything. And her sheet looks like it’s from a hospital. And that’s the only window? Yeah, I could go on and on and on ..

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

I think it's great Jessa got rid of that dark, clunky furniture, but the bedroom looks unfinished. The lighter paint color opens the space up, but the bland bedding makes the room look like a bowl of oatmeal. The rug looks like it's several years past due for a good shampooing.

The lack of art on the walls is killing me as well. Some colorful prints would be great. The kissing pictures are so juvenile. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

At least buy a bed frame! And what is Bin going to do now without his Kleenex and nose spray?! 

Getting rid of furniture with drawers in it is a mistake IMHO (did the bedside tables have drawers?). You've got to have places to put your stuff. I predict she'll end up getting big plastic bins and stacking them up in her rooms to hold all the stuff.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Totally said:

A bookcase with some books wou..... never mind, it’s Jessa

Ok..this one I have to defend. I'm a voracious reader. I have a Kindle with thousands of books on it. But I only have about 6 (out of print) actual books in my house now. My allergies thank me. 

(But I agree that Jessa + reading does not compute)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 11

Maybe fan will send her another Zingerman’s goodie crate...isn’t that what that full length mirror is precariously propped on?

I thought the first picture was the “after” photo.

Why are all these people afraid of color?

ETA: I have now gotten myself all kerflumpt regarding the proper use of “goody” versus “goodie.” After twenty minutes of googling I have concluded that I should have written “goody crate.”

Where’s the Tylenol...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jessa has now done her bedroom makeover - there are about 6 or so photos. I understand how having the bed on the floor will be easier for the kids, but it looks like a college kid's apartment to me.

Why didn't they buy a low platform frame? Mattresses need airflow or they will get moldy. 

Screenshot_20190330-110034_Google.thumb.jpg.9ff76ae4619c19fb549cd67a87f618c6.jpg

Their guest room must be full of crap since they never show it. Why not fix it up and put some toddler beds in there? They must be planning to shove their new blessing in their closet. They should have gotten rid of their dining room table and made that the kids play area instead of having toys scattered in every room.

16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

One of the pictures:

00F77A71-643C-4296-875E-AE44609929CB.jpeg

Jessa's new rug looks just like the one in Felicity's nursery.

Screenshot_20190330-111519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91d166181f40fd778458dd514e9ca968.jpg

• Love 5

Is she advertising for Benjamin Moore? 

Jessa has far to go to pull off a pleasing minimalist aesthetic. White walls with chunky dark furniture fails. White walls with ragged bedding and a beat up rug fails as well.

Typically it's to have a light room with a few chosen crisp items, with a splash of color here or there.

If I had toddlers I would definitely not lean a full length mirror on a flimsy hat box right next to the bed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

It's probably because I don't have kids, but the toys all over the living room and master bedroom annoy me AF. 

The kids should have their own bedroom where they can put their toys and play. I'm also guessing they don't have a basement where they could eventually have playroom.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Jinger pimped out Marie Kondo. I have no doubt that Jessa followed in those footsteps. But being Jessa, she'll never give credit to anyone but herself. Since there's nothing else going on, I suspect that this will be a huge chunk of the next season of Counting On. *eyeroll*

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

The kids should have their own bedroom where they can put their toys and play.

No, kids don't usually work that way, plus it isn't really healthy for the kids to be tucked away and restricted to one or two rooms of the house.  They can be taught to put their toys away before meals and bedtime or before company shows up though so the house isn't a constant mess.  

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Maybe fan will send her another Zingerman’s goodie crate...isn’t that what that full length mirror is precariously propped on?

It's that how she got that? I about had a heart attack thinking she had been in my neighborhood!

(Also, those Zingerman's gifts are pretty pricey to send to someone you don't know just because, but okay.)

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Absolom said:

No, kids don't usually work that way, plus it isn't really healthy for the kids to be tucked away and restricted to one or two rooms of the house.  They can be taught to put their toys away before meals and bedtime or before company shows up though so the house isn't a constant mess.  

I'm not saying they have to stay in their own bedroom at all time, but the toys don't have to be spread all over the house at all time. It just seems to me like the kids don't have their own space.  

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

It's probably because I don't have kids, but the toys all over the living room and master bedroom annoy me AF. 

The kids should have their own bedroom where they can put their toys and play. I'm also guessing they don't have a basement where they could eventually have playroom.

I wasn’t allowed to have toys outside of my bedroom or the play room either (except for when the Christmas tree was up). All the toys everywhere looks like a tripping hazard to me! I’d be scared of breaking something. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I'm not saying they have to stay in their own bedroom at all time, but the toys don't have to be spread all over the house at all time. It just seems to me like the kids don't have their own space.  

Her kids are so little they need constant supervision, so toys in the main areas of the house makes more sense, especially since Jessa can supervise them while she is in the kitchen doing things. If the kids only played in their rooms, she would be trapped in the rooms with them. Their house is so small too there likely isn't another area. No hate from me on that. 

The bedroom needs help. it looks like an apartment for a 20 year old living on their own for the first time

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Jessa has said that they have a big back yard, though. So ultimately they can expand the house by a room or two. I assume that's on the agenda, but who knows. 

• Love 1

It's not as terrible as it could be.  Colorless.  But then so are they.  Back in the day when my kids were little (they are now 51 and 49 there was something in a magazine about a low bookshelf and plastic dishpans to organize the toys.  I think they sell those as a "thing" nowadays.  Anyway, I did that and separated their toys into the bins and would only let them play with one dishpan at a time and then put the toys back into their dishpan before they took out another one.  The only problem was when they had friends over and it was too much to monitor more than my two kids.  But I was a stay at home mom so it wasn't too much of an ordeal.  Oh, right, so is Jessa - snark.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Back in the day when my kids were little (they are now 51 and 49 there was something in a magazine about a low bookshelf and plastic dishpans to organize the toys.  I think they sell those as a "thing" nowadays.  Anyway, I did that and separated their toys into the bins and would only let them play with one dishpan at a time and then put the toys back into their dishpan before they took out another one.

There are many, many systems like that on the market these days using plastic tubs, wicker baskets, cloth baskets, etc.  My daughter has a set up like that in the kids' closets, in the family room, and in the play area off the kitchen.  It makes clean up usually quick and easy.  I agree on how having other kids over can cause havoc especially if they don't impose the put that away before getting another out.  The tubs and baskets even work for books so Jessa could easily keep things organized.

• Love 3

So where do the boys sleep? Why can't Spurge play with his trains in the spare bedroom (?the boy's room)? Are the boy's clothes kept in that room?  Like another poster said, is it a catch all room?  They have to have more toys than what was shown in the living room. 

Sorry,  I'm making myself more confused by thinking about all of this.

• LOL 4

Expansion?

Black Mold needs room to grow....

The light colors hide grimy dust better

Bin: (whacking his shins hard against the edge of the bed for the hundredth time) JEsus, Joseph and Mary!

Babe, I’m gonna slice a few pool noodles and duct tape them around the bed....

Jess: No need...Jana’s coming over with a chain saw to cut the edge off and then she will sand and paint it....

Bin: But I already sliced the noodles....

Jess: Just duct tape them whole...

Bin: Good thinking....

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

... especially since Jessa can supervise them while she is in the kitchen doing things

Getting yogurt out of the fridge? 😉

I get having a small play area in the living room. I do not get having a play space in the master bedroom though. What do they use the extra bedroom for? Actually with 2 bedrooms and 4 people, how do they have an extra room?

Having a guest room is more important than the boys having their own space?

When my kids were toddlers they could play 'unsupervised' for a few minutes here and there. Our home was largely baby-proofed. In Jessa's home she likely can hear and almost see the boys no matter what room they're in.

I don't get the way they use the weather as an excuse for always being inside. I live in New England and the weather has more mood swings than Jessa. My kids played outside year round, as did I growing up.

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Expansion?

Black Mold needs room to grow....

The light colors hide grimy dust better

Bin: (whacking his shins hard against the edge of the bed for the hundredth time) JEsus, Joseph and Mary!

Babe, I’m gonna slice a few pool noodles and duct tape them around the bed....

Jess: No need...Jana’s coming over with a chain saw to cut the edge off and then she will sand and paint it....

Bin: But I already sliced the noodles....

Jess: Just duct tape them whole...

Bin: Good thinking....

Ha ha with the pool noodles. I'm still chuckling & can see them actually doing that.

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger pimped out Marie Kondo. I have no doubt that Jessa followed in those footsteps. But being Jessa, she'll never give credit to anyone but herself. Since there's nothing else going on, I suspect that this will be a huge chunk of the next season of Counting On. *eyeroll*

Sew - You hit the nail on the head. I know Jessa doesn't have to acknowledge Marie Kondo but  these do seem like they are non-credited Marie Kondo type makeovers. 

Some more observations:

I'm glad they got rid of the chunky bed but I'm not liking the mattress on the floor & it does look like the doors are still on the closet. Anyone remember when the Smuggs lived there, they had boxes marked Cash or $$$ in the same then  door less closet? 

I guess they just use overhead ceiling lights since they no longer have bedside table lamps. I know Jana did something with the ceiling lights on an episode.  Not sure if it was a ceiling fan with light or pot(?) lights but either way not a cozy setting when reading kids books in bed. I was thinking they may use flashlights but where would they put them since no more tables?  Who gets up to turn off the ceiling lights?

That new bedroom/old living room rug looks nasty.  Even with a pattern you can still tell that it needs a thorough cleaning or delousing.  Isn't there a scrap of new Berber type rug laying around in a Duggar warehouse they could use? 

Or since the boys are into cars & trains, why don't they get them one of those city or farmscape play rugs. My son had one when he was little & loved setting up his play railroads, roads & buildings.  (The beginnings of my now architect.) 

I don't know why Jessa's makeovers have me in a tizzy. I need to go do something more constructive with my time. 

ETA: anyone else notice Jessa's famous hideous slip on brown flats next to the mirror next to the bed?  Now those needed to be thrown out.

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

The rooms look cold, impersonal, and depressing to me.  Based on her previous postings, I seriously doubt she will keep them clean and tidy.  The fact that I'm already picturing the rooms messy and dirty probably adds to the depressing aspect.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't get the way they use the weather as an excuse for always being inside. I live in New England and the weather has more mood swings than Jessa. My kids played outside year round, as did I growing up.

Exactly.  Same with us.  I suspect the concept of playing outside is either foreign to her or beneath her.  There is zero need for a slide in the living room with a yard, or horrors, a trip to a park.

• Love 8

When I was in my twenties I did the "mattress on the floor" thing because I was on an "asian" kick.  It lasted a few months.  

That sketch hanging on the wall of them it's totally creepy.  Didn't they get it in Europe on their honeymoon or something?  It's like, is it supposed to be a caricature or isn't it?

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

There were THREE pictures of Bin and Jessa on the walls in the bedroom.  Is there a dresser?  Also noticed what looked like a little girl’s outfit hanging on the closet door.  Is that a hint, J?

49 minutes ago, Jenilane6 said:

There were THREE pictures of Bin and Jessa on the walls in the bedroom.  Is there a dresser?  Also noticed what looked like a little girl’s outfit hanging on the closet door.  Is that a hint, J?

I didn't see any girly outfits in the Instagram post. If you mean in the pic where Jessa is sitting with both boys, that was at Jinger's place (the poster just posted it to point out the rug was the same as Jessa's).

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I didn't see any girly outfits in the Instagram post. If you mean in the pic where Jessa is sitting with both boys, that was at Jinger's place (the poster just posted it to point out the rug was the same as Jessa's).

Oh, thank you.  Hoping for another boy !

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Jenilane6 said:

Where do you see the outfit on the closet door? I must not be seeing all the pictures. 

Oops never mind! I think that is a picture taken at Jinger's house in Felicity's nursery. 

Edited by MzTori77
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, McManda said:

It's that how she got that? I about had a heart attack thinking she had been in my neighborhood!

(Also, those Zingerman's gifts are pretty pricey to send to someone you don't know just because, but okay.)

Are you in A2? 

Is there a reason they aren't able to get a bigger home or expand this one? Whenever she posts pictures of the kids in the backyard, the yard looks so big. I always wonder if there is room to add on. Maybe Austin could add a bedroom and bath? It baffles me why they stay in this small home when having a third child. I wouldn't leave out a 4th in the future either.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Is there a reason they aren't able to get a bigger home or expand this one? Whenever she posts pictures of the kids in the backyard, the yard looks so big. I always wonder if there is room to add on. Maybe Austin could add a bedroom and bath? It baffles me why they stay in this small home when having a third child. I wouldn't leave out a 4th in the future either.

Well, for one thing they own the house, and neither seem to work.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5