Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Poor Ben. Instead of going wild on some beach during Spring Break with kids his age, he's stuck at home with 2 kids and a bossy wife. 

And a 3rd on the way...

• Love 4

All this talk of makeup plus the Tammy Faye & Jan Crouch pictures reminded me of a quote but I can't remember who to credit (might be my old favorite Erma Bombeck):  Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end.

Edit:  Found the quote - actually Jerry Seinfeld said it.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • LOL 22
  • Love 1

Jessa's look is okay with me.  I work in a mall and live right next to a huge university.  Her makeup is minimal compared to a lot of the young women I see.  In fact, the older Duggar girls are fairly on trend.  Jill dresses like the girls working in the food co-op.  The average student looks more like Jinger, Abbie or Kendra.  Jana, Jessa and Lauren make me think of the girls in the Christian club.  There are some real glamour pusses in that group.  The rest of the Duggar kids are just a mess.

• Love 7
On 3/14/2019 at 11:28 PM, BigBingerBro said:

If that's "soft glam", I'd hate to see "full-on glam"!!!

To me, it really reminds me of my daughter's TV makeup vs her normal everyday makeup. (She was a TV anchor and reporter for many years.) The heavy "stage" makeup made her skin break out like crazy, too.

She was so glad when she didn't have to wear it anymore.

Screenshot_20190317-173442.jpg

• Love 8

It's the eyes.  I think the idea was to brighten up the shadows on the inside corners of her eyes, but then it changes to a darker color in the middle of her eye with no blending.  Looks kind of jarring.  

And the smile looks more like a grimace.  Not her best look for sure!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

To me, it really reminds me of my daughter's TV makeup vs her normal everyday makeup. (She was a TV anchor and reporter for many years.) The heavy "stage" makeup made her skin break out like crazy, too.

She was so glad when she didn't have to wear it anymore.

Screenshot_20190317-173442.jpg

It looks like what it is -- a teenager's idea of a "glam" look. The eye makeup may be on trend, but it is weird and distracting looking. The colors don't do much for her, and the lipstick clashes so badly with the shirt that it's hard to look at them together.

And the hair! I usually stay out of the Jxxxx needs to get a foot chopped off discussions, but I was thinking that Jessa's hair looks better here than we've seen in a long time, but looking at it now, it looks awful. It's not an attractive color, and it has no style at all, and it looks dull and lifeless. Jessa is stuffed full of pregnancy hormones right now, and her hair should be at its best, If she were to cut off a foot, her hair would still come down to the middle of her back, but it might be less of an ordeal to wash -- and she might wash and condition it occasionally. She also might want to wear it up from time to time -- perhaps a nice chignon? Even Jill wears a braid now and then.

• Love 12

If you check out Danielle's Instagram, her other makeup looks aren't any more impressive 😏 Guess her program focused more on hair and less on makeup 😁 Still, for $14k in tuition, I might have expected more?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I do like the lipstick color though. Any idea what brand/color that is? 

Walmart  "Equate" brand

That would be if it was Jessa's own lipstick but I'm hoping Danielle uses something better.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, PradaKitty said:

I do like the lipstick color though. Any idea what brand/color that is? 

Plums like that are tricky.  MAC Craving looks like that on me, but I am fair with neutral undertones.  I do like Urban Decay cream and comfort matte lipsticks like Rapture or Ravenswood (if you are warmer).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Commenting on earlier posts re Jessa's personality -

I remember from the old TWOP website that a poster called Jessa her mother's little "spite poodle".  

Seems that role has stayed with her. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 6

The problem with Jessa's makeup is that she should not emphasize both eyes and lips at the same time. It's just too much. The rule is that if you are wearing bright lipstick, downplay your eye makeup. On the other hand, if you go for dramatic eye makeup, you should choose a lighter, more neutral shade of lipstick. The overdone makeup makes Jessa look like a clown or a hooker.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
15 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

The problem with Jessa's makeup is that she should not emphasize both eyes and lips at the same time. It's just too much. The rule is that if you are wearing bright lipstick, downplay your eye makeup. On the other hand, if you go for dramatic eye makeup, you should choose a lighter, more neutral shade of lipstick. The overdone makeup makes Jessa look like a clown or a hooker.

When I looked at the picture, I thought of that rule. That Jay guy on America’s Top Model was a stickler for this. She should have worn a neutral, coral or nude lip color.   

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 8

One thing that does bring me secret joy with Jessa all dolled up.  Cosmetic companies are very liberal in their views.  There is a good chance that Jessa is wearing something from a brand that supports LBGTQ rights even if she doesn't know it.  Even huge corporate brands like CoverGirl use models from all walks of life including men.  And that is not even taking into consideration the makeup artists employed by the companies or even CEOs that are gay men.  I really cannot think of one major cosmetic company that supports the fundie belief system.

• Love 21
On 3/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

One thing that does bring me secret joy with Jessa all dolled up.  Cosmetic companies are very liberal in their views.  There is a good chance that Jessa is wearing something from a brand that supports LBGTQ rights even if she doesn't know it.  Even huge corporate brands like CoverGirl use models from all walks of life including men.  And that is not even taking into consideration the makeup artists employed by the companies or even CEOs that are gay men.  I really cannot think of one major cosmetic company that supports the fundie belief system.

That's funny you mentioned this.  I've seen new commercials for Walmart clothing & they too have covered all walks of life from what I remember.  I can't wait to see it again to be sure. 

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

That's funny you mentioned this.  I've seen new commercials for Walmart clothing & they too have covered all walks of life from what I remember.  I can't wait to see it again to be sure. 

Walmart had a toy commercial this past Christmas that featured a lesbian couple buying toys for their children.  It was very matter-of-fact- no dialogue, just a voice-over, but they showed the women shopping and then the family opening gifts on Christmas morning.  There were other families in the ad, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

• Love 9

I wear a full face of makeup everyday, primer, foundation, concealer, bronze, blush etc etc,  yes I know I have too much time on my hands but it makes me happy and basically I feel like 'me' when my face is on 😂.  This look is 'instagram ready', from the contouring, the inner eye highlight, the brows etc.  While it is a bit much, if she was having a treat and wanted to 'done up' then I can imagine they went all out.

I had my makeup done at Sephora last year, holy man I thought my face was going to fall off with the weight of all the products...I looked plastic...however, I loved the experience, it gave me a chance to compare how I do my makeup compared to the 'professional' and it made me feel glamorous for a few hours but I knew walking around that I was over the top.

So for the second day in row (what is happening to me) I am defending one of the duggarettes......

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, jukie said:

I wear a full face of makeup everyday, primer, foundation, concealer, bronze, blush etc etc,  yes I know I have too much time on my hands but it makes me happy and basically I feel like 'me' when my face is on 😂.  This look is 'instagram ready', from the contouring, the inner eye highlight, the brows etc.  While it is a bit much, if she was having a treat and wanted to 'done up' then I can imagine they went all out.

I had my makeup done at Sephora last year, holy man I thought my face was going to fall off with the weight of all the products...I looked plastic...however, I loved the experience, it gave me a chance to compare how I do my makeup compared to the 'professional' and it made me feel glamorous for a few hours but I knew walking around that I was over the top.

So for the second day in row (what is happening to me) I am defending one of the duggarettes......

Nothing wrong with that. They are human. And they are young. And none of them proactively joined the cult that made them a lot of what they are. Nor did they put themselves on reality TeeVee at the beginning. At this point, they aren't responsible for any of the villainy in the situation. Few of them have even had much of a chance to make many major adult choices yet. 

Plus -- this is about makeup. We all have our different preferences, but there's literally nothing at stake for anyone in Jessa's makeup choices. ....

(She still reminds me of The Joker in that pic! But I've always been a "save the contrast-y makeup for after dark" kind of girl. Only a matter of personal taste!)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Walmart had a toy commercial this past Christmas that featured a lesbian couple buying toys for their children.  It was very matter-of-fact- no dialogue, just a voice-over, but they showed the women shopping and then the family opening gifts on Christmas morning.  There were other families in the ad, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

I wonder if they run that ad in the bible belt?

I've been noticing tons of LGBTQ friendly ads lately, it is awesome! But I am in Chicago metro area so it is more liberal. 

Also its clear the Duggars don't give two shits about companies and their views, since they take money from TLC! Almost every show on that network goes agains the Duggar super speshul snowflake values.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Jessa is advertising Just Fab. They sent her a whole new wardrobe including 3 pairs of shoes and purses. I bet she won't ever wear that dress out without a ridiculous t-shirt underneath. 

740934519_Screenshot_20190322-023340_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b0353a7cc05d904d22d082dafe6d22e0.jpg

365564227_Screenshot_20190322-023758_SamsungInternet-720x1280.thumb.jpg.540910ed105cb845c768fb69c5a7b651.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Good lord, is there no end to the shilling? All I can figure is that JB must be getting really desperate.....

He must be the driving force behind this, don't you think? I mean, there's no way they all started doing this of their own accord simultaneously. And I don't see any of the Duggarlings actually being accepted as a leader that the rest would just naturally follow (much as Jessa would like to have that role). 

I doubt it's a very lucrative form of grift for them. And I wonder whether the sheer volume of it isn't going to turn some people off it kind of quickly. Joy already got complaints telling her to put her shilling on a separate account from the one all her followers subscribe to, didn't she? 

They're nuts. 

And allergic to actual working, in any capacity, apparently. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 17

Jessa looks better with less make up.  Too much make up on her strong features and she looks clownish. 

I usually don't hate the "modest fashions" but I don't like that brown flowered dress. 

• Love 9

How much money can they make?  Do they get free clothes and a small fee, or a percentage of the sales when people use the code they provide?  I know there is minimal work involved, but still wonder how lucrative being an influencer can be.  I know the big names can make more money, but it's the Duggars...

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

How much money can they make?  Do they get free clothes and a small fee, or a percentage of the sales when people use the code they provide?  I know there is minimal work involved, but still wonder how lucrative being an influencer can be.  I know the big names can make more money, but it's the Duggars...

Probably varies from company to company. Some will give them a little percentage. But I don't see how they can make that much either -- even in goods, really, let alone cash. They obviously have some influence but it can't be that much -- for one thing, they all must have at least tens of thousands of followers, if not more, who are hate watchers. They're not going to prompt any sales from that group. 

And I do wonder whether there isn't a limit to how many things you can successfully shill at once. If you have multiple millions of followers and you actually post a lot of stuff that many of those people find cool -- and related to the products in some way -- then maybe you can make money off a whole range of stuff, I guess. But even there I'd be there's some downside to dilution.  And it's not like a lot of people really find the Duggar social-media feeds riveting viewing. 

With the Duggs, something new is popping up constantly these days. Very few people are going to follow them to all those products, certainly. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

We have all said this before. 

Those girls should've done some Christian lifestyle blog/vlog.  Oh wait, they don't have enough skills for that unless Jana does everything. 

Guess that's why they are selling crap on Instagram.  😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

The thing about the Duggars, for better or worse, is that they have natural engagement.  The last few posts of Jessa’s had at least 50,000+ likes and hundreds of comments.  The big influencers from say, The Bachelor, get a fraction of that and are known for buying followers.  Some of The Bachelor people are on record with a minimum of $10,000-$20,000 per post.  Even if JB isn’t as strong a negotiater without an agent I bet each girl still pulls in 5 figures a post based on engagement alone.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

Here's an article on the range of payments, FWIW. It really makes me wonder about the Duggarlings, though, because it seems that effort put into it makes a huge difference, and while I don't follow them on social media my sense is that they aren't actually making all that big an effort. Exclusivity to certain brands is also said to matter. And they're certainly veering from that standard early and often. I'm guessing the key factor for their earnings must be the extent to which their followers actually click on the brands and buy and such (well, I thought that before I read this, too, I guess...), but I really don't know who their non-hate followers are and whether they do this or not.....Plus, it seems that a lot of their brands are also being shilled by other fundie favorites? So that clearly limits each person's take..... Complicated. But honestly I don't see, given all this, that it can be wildly lucrative for them. .... Unless their non-hate followers are all major shopaholics who are madly in love with Duggar women come hell or high water ... 

https://mic.com/articles/192799/how-much-money-do-influencers-actually-make#.soMbYmR62

The pay range is vast and determined by many factors

“The range of payments is so wide these days,” Micheli said. “I’ve personally done deals for hundreds of dollars and hundreds of thousands.” Hajjar noted the rates for a single sponsored post can run from $50 to more than $50,000, “depending on the level of influencer.” Indeed, according to Hopper HQ’s 2018 Instagram Rich List, mega-stars like Selena Gomez and Kylie Jenner pull in $800,000 and $1,000,000 per post, respectively (they both have more than 100 million followers), while those with the smallest following on the list (a mere one million) charge $1,300 to $3,000 per post.

In general, experts estimate the average is $1,000 per 100,000 followers, or one cent per follower, according to Later; but the cost an influencer can command depends on a variety of factors. “The variables for rates to consider for an influencer include quality of content from the influencer, an influencer’s following on their blog and social channels, an influencer’s engagement metrics, the number of deliverables, the allotted time frame and the agreed upon usage rights,” Hajjar said. For example, an influencer may be able to negotiate an increased rate if they agree to exclusivity (not working with a brand’s competitors) or a deal that allows the brand to use their images and content in other avenues, like TV commercials or billboards, Hajjar noted.

Follower count isn’t everything

While standard rates are typically discussed in terms of follower count, a massive following isn’t necessarily the holy grail for brands. Metrics like engagement — getting followers to take actions like commenting and clicking links or making purchases — are also extremely valuable to brands; as is an authentic voice. “An influencer must understand their audience and put out content that is interesting and engaging,” Hajjar said. “[They] must be excited about their content and their posts must be real, authentic and honest. They need to have their own voice [and post] consistently because with such a large number of influencers on social media, they will need to find something that sets them apart.”

And they don’t need to wait until they have 50,000 followers to start monetizing. “An influencer can begin monetizing from the moment they have one follower,” Hajjar said, explaining that many advertisers have public affiliate programs that allow anyone to partner with them and drive affiliate sales. And when it comes to brand sponsorships, both Hajjar and Micheli said micro-influencers — who could haveanywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 followers, according to influencer marketing platform IZEA — can also be very attractive to brands. “Internally, we always look at how many people does this person actually influence, not how many followers they have,” Micheli said. “A lot of influencers have tons of followers [but] produce minimum results and low engagement.”

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Saylii said:

The thing about the Duggars, for better or worse, is that they have natural engagement.  The last few posts of Jessa’s had at least 50,000+ likes and hundreds of comments.  The big influencers from say, The Bachelor, get a fraction of that and are known for buying followers.  Some of The Bachelor people are on record with a minimum of $10,000-$20,000 per post.  Even if JB isn’t as strong a negotiater without an agent I bet each girl still pulls in 5 figures a post based on engagement alone.

No.  Not even close.  This has been discussed on this forum numerous time. Could you link your various sources?

And what exactly is a natural engagement?  It certainly is not a term of art in the business world!

• Love 2

No way these girls are making that kind of coin from the rinky dink companies they shill. The money just isn't there. Their best bet was the failed home grocery venture.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

No.  Not even close.  This has been discussed on this forum numerous time. Could you link your various sources?

And what exactly is a natural engagement?  It certainly is not a term of art in the business world!

Amanda Stanton’s custody documents outlined her earnings.  $20k/mo at the time, her ex-fiancé was pulling $10k/mo at the time.  This was also at one of the lowest points in her influencer career because it was just after she finished Bachelor in Paradise.  Her earnings are self-described as higher now, especially now that she has accounts for her kids.  All the original Duggar daughters blow her numbers out of the water in terms of likes & comments.  That is the only thing that matters to social media marketing.

Natural engagement means how many real people interact with the Duggars online.  For better or worse, the Duggars get the majority of their likes and comments from real followers.  It’s painfully easy for the companies to tell who is buying followers, likes, and comments and that drives down their pay rate.  Jessa generally pulls a 4% engagement rate on her Instagram.  That’s very good with 2M followers.  She’s getting paid.

I do agree their biggest paycheck was coming from Thrive Market, but I wouldn’t discount Jill’s Citrus & Lemon gig either.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I don’t have a problem with them doing the ads. It’s a thing now - JB just picked it up a little late. It’s up to their followers if they want to be suckered in and give them the income.

Hell, I wish I could influence someone! You’d get a lot of nice dinners out for even the 1k a month! 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

She is starting to look like Octomom.  That bottom picture is creepy.

5 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jessa looks better with less make up.  Too much make up on her strong features and she looks clownish. 

I usually don't hate the "modest fashions" but I don't like that brown flowered dress. 

She's still wearing Danielle's makeup 😉 minus the highlighter, looks like.

I think the dress is maybe a step up from her usual maternity wear. And the neckline is probably similar to that of her wedding dress, which I found shockingly low at the time for their standards.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Saylii said:

Even if JB isn’t as strong a negotiater without an agent I bet each girl still pulls in 5 figures a post based on engagement alone.

What? So each time Jessa or Jill posts an ad for clothes or Jana an ad for shampoo, they get paid at least $10,000?

Jesus Christ, where have I gone wrong in my life?

• LOL 10
  • Love 5