Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I don't think Jessa and her sisters are making any significant money from being influencers yet. Influencers are basically commercials. The reason they have % off codes is to see how many folks following an influencer are actually buying the products.

If none of the followers are buying the products the influencer will be dropped. I'm guessing at this point the girls are getting free products for advertising on SM. 

I'm curious about their many followers - what are their ages, how many are active, how many are fans, how many have money, how many are just arguing trolls, etc. Just because a follower posts a positive comment or defends a Duggar doesn't mean they're going to buy a dress or some shampoo.

No business is going to pay anyone thousands of dollars if it doesn't bring in more profit. 

Most influencers put many hours into SM. Ones that make the most money use the same tricks as advertisers and sell an image rather than the product itself. A close-up bathroom selfie or a squinty outdoor pic is not going to sell much.

The Kardashians sell sexy, they sell glamour, they sell an enviable lifestyle.

The Gaines sell wholesome, they sell taste, they sell family.

What could the Duggars possibly sell?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think Jessa and her sisters are making any significant money from being influencers yet. Influencers are basically commercials. The reason they have % off codes is to see how many folks following an influencer are actually buying the products.

If none of the followers are buying the products the influencer will be dropped. I'm guessing at this point the girls are getting free products for advertising on SM. 

I'm curious about their many followers - what are their ages, how many are active, how many are fans, how many have money, how many are just arguing trolls, etc. Just because a follower posts a positive comment or defends a Duggar doesn't mean they're going to buy a dress or some shampoo.

No business is going to pay anyone thousands of dollars if it doesn't bring in more profit. 

Most influencers put many hours into SM. Ones that make the most money use the same tricks as advertisers and sell an image rather than the product itself. A close-up bathroom selfie or a squinty outdoor pic is not going to sell much.

The Kardashians sell sexy, they sell glamour, they sell an enviable lifestyle.

The Gaines sell wholesome, they sell taste, they sell family.

What could the Duggars possibly sell?

I agree. Having your followers engage with you is considered a promising start. But not all audiences who post likes and engage with the poster are also going to engage with somebody's product. A business is obviously going to check you out first and see if that happens. And just because an influencer's audience actually buys one company's product doesn't mean they'll buy from another. As we all know, everything in business today -- and in marketing maybe above all -- is measured and the specific numbers numbers numbers are examined out to the 5th decimal place and those tiny differences mean everything.

No company that stays in business is going to continually leak cash to some supposed influencer who actually isn't generating more cash for the company by their activities. And they can follow us everywhere online now, so after a few months they'll know whether that's happening with a specific influencer or not. 

Ultimately, it'll all depend on how much the Duggarlings' followers actually buy, not just on how much they respond to the Duggarlings. I don't even know who the followers are, so I have no idea whether they'd follow the Duggs and buy a lot of stuff or not. Maybe they're big spenders as they try to be like their heroes, or maybe they're not. But the companies the Duggs are shilling will soon know. And they'll pay accordingly. 

In many cases, probably most, getting your audience to actually become regular customers of the business involves the would-be influencer posting a lot of engaging content that relates to the products. I don't follow these guys but from what I've seen here they don't have a lot of that going on. The most effort I've seen has been by Joy and Jer, I'd say. They both went to much greater lengths to post effective shilling posts than I've seen from any of the others, I thought, so if they kept doing that, they might have a shot at bigger money. But from what I've seen they maybe started out with a good burst and then didn't do much more? I expect that's another red flag for businesses. Plus, in doing his, Jer broke a major federal regulation -- pretending that he wasn't shilling and that he would be running a contest himself and giving away a company's products out of the goodness of his own heart and wallet. It was creative and probably quite effective but illegal.   ;  )      I expect he knows that now. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
On 3/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, mousegirl said:

Commenting on earlier posts re Jessa's personality -

I remember from the old TWOP website that a poster called Jessa her mother's little "spite poodle".  

Seems that role has stayed with her. 

Still miss TWOP

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

I don’t have a problem with them doing the ads. It’s a thing now - JB just picked it up a little late. It’s up to their followers if they want to be suckered in and give them the income.

Hell, I wish I could influence someone! You’d get a lot of nice dinners out for even the 1k a month! 

I don't either. They need to grab all the cash they can get. I just hope the girls are benefitting directly and not turning everything over to the Bank of Boob.

• Love 10

If these ladies, (Jessa, Jill, Anna, Jana, etc) were more articulate and had attention spans longer than 2 minutes, they would probably do VERY well hosting FB live parties shilling things like Paparazzi Jewlery or makeup or similar.  Cripes, they could shill and spout off about their fundie crap and I am sure they'd get followers to watch and buy like crazy.  I've followed a few people who do this (not fundies) who have zero celebrity whatsoever and they are making some serious cash.  The issue is that you need to be interesting, articulate and entertaining without being prompted and prodded by a producer.  I doubt they are making much money at all from these product placement referral posts, but I'm sure the free clothes and attention is worth it the them for now.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't either. They need to grab all the cash they can get. I just hope the girls are benefitting directly and not turning everything over to the Bank of Boob.

I trust that this doesn't happen with Counting On.

But this marketing thing makes me suspicious because somebody had to start the thing and get them all on board. And I really don't see who that would have been except Boob.

None of the kids seems to have the initiative to do it. Plus it took a bit of upfront cash to hire a social-media consultant, and it's not clear that any of them actually has that cash or would use it for a business investment in any case, especially a business investment that would help out others in the family besides themselves.

And none seem to me have any particular influence over the others so they could get them all on board, do they? (Jessa used to be Jingle's leader, it seems, but that appears to be all over now, and Jessa's left with no one to effectively boss except Bin Be-Careful-What-You-Wish-For Seewald.)

So if Boob started it .... Well, why does this give me the sinking feeling that he and Meeechelle would be getting at least a small cut? 

Those two deserve nothing. 

And an initiative like this should have been started solely for the benefit of the kids they birthed and then left without educations, vocational training, good sense about what's needed to make a living that supports a family, or work ethics.  

But maybe I'm overestimating their greed. (Because I hate, loathe and despise them.) Hope so. .

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

I'm guessing there's a few reason the girls are shilling, the most obvious one to me is they're copying the Bates girls and probably other folks they follow. Not sure if JB had anything to do with it or not.

I also think @Absolom hit the nail on the head. The Duggars are taking in less cash because they are doing shortened seasons. Shortened seasons plus more adults equals less cash per couple/person. They are already feeling the pinch.

I'm convinced that Jana wants a Fixer Upper type show of her own and think that's the reason she's on SM. I'm guessing she did need JB's and M's permission to open an SM account. And I think they'd be onboard with her having a Fundy home interior show.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jessa is advertising Just Fab. They sent her a whole new wardrobe including 3 pairs of shoes and purses. I bet she won't ever wear that dress out without a ridiculous t-shirt underneath. 

740934519_Screenshot_20190322-023340_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b0353a7cc05d904d22d082dafe6d22e0.jpg

365564227_Screenshot_20190322-023758_SamsungInternet-720x1280.thumb.jpg.540910ed105cb845c768fb69c5a7b651.jpg

Jessa needs help in modeling these clothes. Couldn't Ben or someone else take the pictures so it doesn't have to be a (mirrored) selfie? We dont need to see her phone.

I wish she would tie her hair back or put it up so we can actually see the front of the items.  I can tell nothing of the bodice of the dress. Why is she grabbing onto the bottom of the dress? She probably wasn't aware she was doing it but it takes away from how the dress hangs.

You can barely tell what the pink/coral shirt looks like between the long hair mop covering one side & it being all scrunched up from sitting.  Is it tunic or regular length?  How long are the sleeves? Stand up girl!

Are there pictures of the shoes & purses  or did I miss them?  She could have thrown on a pair of them in the picture of the dress. 

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

They can call this show: Magnolia Lite, the Low Rent Edition.

"If for some reason you hate Joanna Gaines, tune in to watch Jana Duggar do all the same stuff but derivatively and not quite as well!

"With special bonus footage of The Howlers doing cut-rate reno work, fighting among themselves and playing mean but not clever Duggar-style jokes on littlest brother Jackson "The P-Bomb" Duggar while The Lost Girls wander barefoot among the electric drills and nail guns and Mom big sister Jana explains how a Duggar Academy education has equipped all 19 KIDS! with construction and homemaking skills to die for! (perhaps literally)" 

Still laughing!😂👷‍♀️🛠️🤕

And wanted to add that Jana has less of a shot at her own show than Jessa has of being humble.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 3/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Jessa’s hair color is what Harlan Coben would describe as chipmunk brown. 

I love Harlan Coben.. He lives 2 towns away from us. He and Mary Higgins Clark always include local haunts in their novels. Makes them more fun to read,and probably gets them lots of free dinners.

MHC is getting a little long in the tooth, and her novels are all the same, working girl in trouble,handsome guy comes and saves her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Jessa needs help in modeling these clothes. Couldn't Ben or someone else take the pictures so it doesn't have to be a (mirrored) selfie? We dont need to see her phone.

I wish she would tie her hair back or put it up so we can actually see the front of the items.  I can tell nothing of the bodice of the dress. Why is she grabbing onto the bottom of the dress? She probably wasn't aware she was doing it but it takes away from how the dress hangs.

You can barely tell what the pink/coral shirt looks like between the long hair mop covering one side & it being all scrunched up from sitting.  Is it tunic or regular length?  How long are the sleeves? Stand up girl!

Are there pictures of the shoes & purses  or did I miss them?  She could have thrown on a pair of them in the picture of the dress. 

At least we’re not getting those “modest”, monthly baby bump pictures with the skin tight tops and the duck lips, although in the pink shirt pic, she’s attempting to do the duck lips.

Jessa still acts like  she’s the hot one, but she’s become a hot mess.

• LOL 10
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Yes, since they're all "best friends," you would think that Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Joy could get together and work on this. If they were smart (they're not), they would take pictures for each other in different locations.

Here's a picture of Jill pushing her kids on the swings at the park (taken by an adult) -- "Love my new xxx from yyy!"

Here's a picture of Jessa feeding the ducks with Henry and Spurgeon (taken by someone other than Jessa) -- "This (thing) is so comfortable and easy. It's great for those days when I don't have a lot of time to get ready (smiley face!).

Meanwhile, they could be helping each other with styling and makeup (maybe bring a third party along?), so they weren't constantly taking pictures of themselves looking like hell in their filthy homes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

Be sure to click through to the second video.

I feel Jessa is being fairly humble and honest in her presentation of her and Spurgeon's challenges with potty training, and she seems to be genuinely asking for help. I don't know about showing Spurgy's pee-soaked pants though.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Be sure to click through to the second video.

I feel Jessa is being fairly humble and honest in her presentation of her and Spurgeon's challenges with potty training, and she seems to be genuinely asking for help. I don't know about showing Spurgy's pee-soaked pants though.

Hmm, a 180 from when she was telling off posters a few months back. She basically said because of her siblings she is an expert in potty training and will know when Spurge is ready. Now she's asking for advice? 

Probably best she get Spurge potty trained now. Her dresser may not be able to hold a diaper pile produced by three kids.

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, NoThyme said:

Still miss TWOP

Yeah me too! What I particularly wish is that we had their notes from the early seasons of the Duggar shows.  There are things we've forgotten that were lost when the old forum died and the Duggars have changed so much and gotten so much better at hiding their true beliefs/selves. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Saylii said:

Amanda Stanton’s custody documents outlined her earnings.  $20k/mo at the time, her ex-fiancé was pulling $10k/mo at the time.  This was also at one of the lowest points in her influencer career because it was just after she finished Bachelor in Paradise.  Her earnings are self-described as higher now, especially now that she has accounts for her kids.  All the original Duggar daughters blow her numbers out of the water in terms of likes & comments.  That is the only thing that matters to social media marketing.

Natural engagement means how many real people interact with the Duggars online.  For better or worse, the Duggars get the majority of their likes and comments from real followers.  It’s painfully easy for the companies to tell who is buying followers, likes, and comments and that drives down their pay rate.  Jessa generally pulls a 4% engagement rate on her Instagram.  That’s very good with 2M followers.  She’s getting paid.

I do agree their biggest paycheck was coming from Thrive Market, but I wouldn’t discount Jill’s Citrus & Lemon gig either.

Please google natural engagement.  Your explanation is puzzling. ... to me..

And none of the extensive reading I have done regarding sponsored Instagram and YouTube ads support your income numbers. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Damn, people. I was eating dinner.

Okay, so I never had children but is posting their potty experiences out to the world now normal?

I think it is for a subset of parents. I don't have kids and quite frankly will block people on my social media who post TMI about their kids. But I know these people are out there. I feel like this is the sort of thing that is better discussed face-to-face with people rather than blaring it all over social media to embarrass the shit (pun not intended) out of your kid several years later. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
On 3/22/2019 at 7:58 PM, Lunera said:

Jessa is advertising Just Fab. They sent her a whole new wardrobe including 3 pairs of shoes and purses. I bet she won't ever wear that dress out without a ridiculous t-shirt underneath. 

740934519_Screenshot_20190322-023340_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b0353a7cc05d904d22d082dafe6d22e0.jpg

365564227_Screenshot_20190322-023758_SamsungInternet-720x1280.thumb.jpg.540910ed105cb845c768fb69c5a7b651.jpg

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I think Jessa herself looks beautiful in the first picture! She's not modeling the dress well, and the lighting is terrible, but the article of clothing is classier than her usual thrift store finds, IMO. With the light so low (so you can't see her imperfections), and taken from that angle that subtracts 10-15 pounds, it kind of makes me sad to think about how things could have worked out. I feel like if Jessa had lived a normal life, she could really look like this, in the light, without filters and angles. She would only be mid-twenties, when a lot of people are at their most physically attractive, and I think she could look even more beautiful than when she was the "hot one," because her features have matured and her hair is styled so well. She doesn't really have that teenage look anymore. Not knocking anyone who had kids young, or saying that they ruined their bodies, but I don't think Jessa would have chosen to be a mother in her early twenties if she had been raised normally. She could be a college graduate, living in a city, and just now maybe thinking about settling down. It's sad that she never got to make that choice, and that her whole life was decided for her before she was even born. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Still laughing!😂👷‍♀️🛠️🤕

And wanted to add that Jana has less of a shot at her own show than Jessa has of being humble.

Exactly. I can’t stand the Gaines, but they have EDUCATIONS. The Duggars simply can’t compete.

3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I don't miss TWOP's obnoxious, power-mad moderators. I find PTV to be far more relaxed and a lot more fun. 

Yes, I don’t miss being banned regularly!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

That was not cool.  Stuff posted on the internet lives forever.  First video was fine.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

That was not cool.  Stuff posted on the internet lives forever.  First video was fine.

Not cool for normal people, true. Gothard child-rearing is all about punishment, though. Kid pees on himself, and he has to walk around in wet pants and get filmed -- next time he'll OBEY!

• Love 3

A lot of people I know including my fundie-lite friends post stuff about their kids potty training experiences, although with the people I know it's just words (no videos or pictures). I still think that's too much. I will sometimes let the parents know that I think it's inappropriate.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 9

Spurgeon looks so much like Ben.  That always surprises me.  I certainly would not have posted the pee pic/video and am truly glad I raised my children pre-internet.  And that my children don't post much about their kids at all.  

• Love 13
12 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Jill gave advice to Jessa on Instagram about potty training. Why can’t they actually speak to each other?!

I'm sure its because Jill wants to show the world how great a mother she is by sharing her hints & suggestions. 

Thank you @cmr2014 for reminding us why Jessa needs to ask for  potty training tips & hints (besides the hits/clicks on the computer.)  She was raised with the Gothard way of doing things - punishment if you don't do it correctly so that is what she knows.  Giving rewards is something new to her.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So is Jessa potty training at JoKen’s house, or did JoKen give away that green changer that Jana painted for them?  Isn’t that the same as the one they showed on the JoKen’s house/pregnancy reveal?

Seems to be where she posted the selfies too. 

17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Hmm, a 180 from when she was telling off posters a few months back. She basically said because of her siblings she is an expert in potty training and will know when Spurge is ready. Now she's asking for advice? 

Probably best she get Spurge potty trained now. Her dresser may not be able to hold a diaper pile produced by three kids.

You know what she could do, instead of asking for advice from a bunch of people who are dumb enough to "follow" her on SM -- she could get a book on early childhood development. She could read about different theories and different methods. Ideas about things like potty training change over time -- J'chelle's "obey your mother" and "obey God" method of potty training might be outdated or developmentally damaging (I vote for the latter).

You know what else you shouldn't do, Jessa? Take clothes out of the package and put them on your child without washing them first. She would know that if she EVER opened a book, or read a magazine, or checked out a mommy blog, or even read the tags on the underpants.

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

4FD5FB3A-2A2D-4DC8-841A-EB97F69C10EF.png

Thank you. Not bad. 

So glad to know Anna poopie trains first. 😂

I kind of wonder about training with a timer. What happens when one dings elsewhere? Will the child automatically have to go? Hmmmmm

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Thank you. Not bad. 

So glad to know Anna poopie trains first. 😂

I kind of wonder about training with a timer. What happens when one dings elsewhere? Will the child automatically have to go? Hmmmmm

I know someone who got her daughter a potty watch.  Its shaped like a toilet (its surprisingly cute) and it has a timer.  The watch goes off every 90 minutes and she knows its time to go.  The timer is mostly lights and I think vibrations.  Reading between the lines of Jessa's post it sounds like she is making Spurgeon use a regular toilet instead of his own potty which can make it more difficult depending on the child.    Also Jessa does nothing all day, she has time to clean up any messes.  

• Love 3

I do don’t like the sense of shame Jessa was projecting to Spurgie

’You were just on the potty 2 minutes ago....Why did this happen’ 

She sounded like she was accusing him of doing it on purpose 

Did she think that Spurgie is so exceptional that he was going to put on undies and stat going to the toilet with no accidents? Poor Spurge

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

A lot of people I know including my fundie-lite friends post stuff about their kids potty training experiences, although with the people I know it's just words (no videos or pictures). I still think that's too much. I will sometimes let the parents know that I think it's inappropriate.

Right?! I can't imagine doing anything in that case but calling my mom for advice. Nobody else wants to hear that! i was once in a fancy restaurant on vacation, and there was only one other party in the restaurant. They were talking, SO LOUDLY, about their childrens' poop and pee habits. The woman was really domineering, and demanded the man get a certain thing for dinner. She also kept constantly rubbing her teeth as she yelled about poop and pee. It seemed like maybe a double date with her parents, who seemed enchanted and delighted about the bodily fluids talk. Some people suck. You'd think they'd realize how loudly they were talking and pipe down, no matter what the topic!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

You know what she could do, instead of asking for advice from a bunch of people who are dumb enough to "follow" her on SM -- she could get a book on early childhood development. She could read about different theories and different methods. Ideas about things like potty training change over time -- J'chelle's "obey your mother" and "obey God" method of potty training might be outdated or developmentally damaging (I vote for the latter).

You know what else you shouldn't do, Jessa? Take clothes out of the package and put them on your child without washing them first. She would know that if she EVER opened a book, or read a magazine, or checked out a mommy blog, or even read the tags on the underpants.

I love this post!

• Love 1

I had my boys in no pants or underwear, just a shirt. I asked about every ten minutes if they had to go. It was pretty easy. Spurge was wearing a full outfit. Harder to get the pants down quickly when you need to, and they can’t feel what’s different. And yeah, it’s not like she can’t stare at him all day and get it done. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

This.

My sons are grown and the baby bible of my generation was Dr. Spock’s book of child care. It was plain common sense, which unfortunately is foreign to the Duggars. 

As far as clothes made overseas, I’ve read that they are sprayed with a chemical to prevent insect infestation and must be washed prior to wearing. I wonder if Jessa even washes the ones from the thrift shop. I doubt it.

• Love 4

One of my sons potty trained very early - one reason was we were housebound the winter after second son was born.  It was bad weather and I couldn't get out.  The then Mr. lookeyloo was doing his residency and was never home.  So, I put the potty chair in front of the TV, which was black and white, antenna, Sesame Street was new, had him with no bottoms, sat on potty watching Sesame Street which was on 3 different times in a day and "caught" pee a few times.  Lots of clapping and dancing and he caught on pretty fast with both.  Fast forward to second son - tried the same thing.  He was having none of it.  Finally, when he was about to turn three and could say to me "I pooped in my diaper and I want the duck diaper pins and the white rubber pants" (pre Pampers) I would say "if you can say all that, why can't you tell me before?" And he said "when we move to our new house in California then I will use the potty".  He knew we were moving there pretty soon.  I figured it was too hard to try and make a cross country car trip with a kid who would need the potty every few miles, so just waited.  Sure enough, when we got to the new place and unpacked, I unpacked the potty and he said two days in "Now I will use the potty" and so he was trained.    My daughter in law never used a potty but had one of those rings.  The grands were all potty trained later than the olden days, but, sure enough, they all are now, thank goodness since they are 18, 15 and 11!!!  I think there are a lot of ways to approach it, none wrong, and each kid is different.  Whatever works.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

One of my sons potty trained very early - one reason was we were housebound the winter after second son was born.  It was bad weather and I couldn't get out.  The then Mr. lookeyloo was doing his residency and was never home.  So, I put the potty chair in front of the TV, which was black and white, antenna, Sesame Street was new, had him with no bottoms, sat on potty watching Sesame Street which was on 3 different times in a day and "caught" pee a few times.  Lots of clapping and dancing and he caught on pretty fast with both.  Fast forward to second son - tried the same thing.  He was having none of it.  Finally, when he was about to turn three and could say to me "I pooped in my diaper and I want the duck diaper pins and the white rubber pants" (pre Pampers) I would say "if you can say all that, why can't you tell me before?" And he said "when we move to our new house in California then I will use the potty".  He knew we were moving there pretty soon.  I figured it was too hard to try and make a cross country car trip with a kid who would need the potty every few miles, so just waited.  Sure enough, when we got to the new place and unpacked, I unpacked the potty and he said two days in "Now I will use the potty" and so he was trained.    My daughter in law never used a potty but had one of those rings.  The grands were all potty trained later than the olden days, but, sure enough, they all are now, thank goodness since they are 18, 15 and 11!!!  I think there are a lot of ways to approach it, none wrong, and each kid is different.  Whatever works.

In his book, Dr Spock (the pediatrician, not the Vulcan), said not to worry. No child goes to college without being potty trained or the ability to feed himself.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4