Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I'm glad that they are in Philly, not Arkansas. I'm also glad that they don't have half a dozen Duggar siblings in tow. Think about the swarm of Duggars that used to descend on Josh and Anna in DC, and the almost constant presence of one Duggar or another in DA. If it's Jeremy who's put his foot down and said "no" to the relentless stream of Duggars, then good for him.

Yeah, but as we know from the testimony of Jingle's MOTY, JInge would really prefer just to be within easy driving distance of a Walmart. 

City, Schmitty. 

• Love 5

Derick sings loudly from the roof top of Twitter as Ben once did. I'm guessing Jessa shut Ben down and took control of most things Social Media. Ben still thinks, believes and lives with the same mindset as Derick, he's just not posting. Jessa is teaching him her manipulative ways.

Jeremy walks the fine line between typical posts with a spattering of fairly non-offensive Christian posts. I'm still unclear on Jeremy's beliefs other than masturbation is a no-no. However he doesn't seem to preach or live as a man who marginalizes or oppresses women. So there's that.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick sings loudly from the roof top of Twitter as Ben once did. I'm guessing Jessa shut Ben down and took control of most things Social Media. Ben still thinks, believes and lives with the same mindset as Derick, he's just not posting. Jessa is teaching him her manipulative ways.

Jeremy walks the fine line between typical posts with a spattering of fairly non-offensive Christian posts. I'm still unclear on Jeremy's beliefs other than masturbation is a no-no. However he doesn't seem to preach or live as a man who marginalizes or oppresses women. So there's that.

Last time I looked, the Reformed Baptist churches that I believe he most associates with -- his dad is a Reformed Baptist as are many of the people Jer's expressed admiration of, for example -- don't ordain women, though. Maybe that's changed, but I remember reading a few years ago that it's strictly forbidden -- and always will be -- as starkly unbiblical (just like preaching any kind of acceptance of homosexuality or suggestion that homosexual activity doesn't send you straight to H E double toothpick). .... So he may be a mixed bag on the woman front. Hard to tell. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

It's the Christmas Holiday season & once again Babe is nowhere near the church he is paid to be planting & growing.  Well played Babe.

ETA - did your church pay for your travels or was it Jinger's money?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was a daytime service. I bet they had the car packed to head out of Dodge the second the sermon was over.

I think the plane was packed & they flew out of dodge the "jet set" way that the Duggars like. ;)

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I haven't seen any plane information for a few weeks, but the planes' flight plans (except for the 10 seater) are still able to be seen by the public. 

I would assume they took a public plane since they don't live near the hub of Duggar Airways and it would be more time consuming with logistics and money for JD to fly there. Plus he isn't the photos. 

• Love 3

I don't see Boob deploying one of the planes to fly them to Jeremy's relatives. All proclamations of a servant's heart aside, Boob is just that selfish and petty.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 9

I guessing even within the Baptist community not all believe everything preached. Among my Catholic friends it runs the gamut from what they follow and what they don't. I have LGBTQ friends who identify as Catholic, yet don't consider themselves sinners, as the Church still preaches.

We had a local Priest who spoke out against fellow Priests, and the Church itself, during the pedophilia scandal. His congregation grew exponentially during that time, when many were losing congregants. 

Its no wonder why so many religions grew from congregants disagreeing with others.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was a daytime service. I bet they had the car packed to head out of Dodge the second the sermon was over.

I know Catholics always have Christmas day services.

But when I converted to SDA, we only had Christmas Day services if it fell on a Saturday, our normal day of worship.

Since Baptists worship on Sunday, and Sunday was Christmas Eve, would they have even had a Monday service?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I would assume they took a public plane since they don't live near the hub of Duggar Airways and it would be more time consuming with logistics and money for JD to fly there. Plus he isn't the photos. 

JD was busy shuttling Amy, Deanna, Grandma, JoKen, James, et al around.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2017 at 1:47 PM, mynextmistake said:

There’s a bottle of wine on the table but they’re drinking cider, and Jinger is posing for that photo by pulling her bulky cardigan around to cover her midsection.

Fuck, y’all, I think she’s pregnant. Oh well... a pregnancy a year after a wedding is considered reasonable timing even in non-fundie circles. She’s still better off than all her sisters.

That "wine" on the table might be water. Restaurants sometimes serve it that way.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, louannems said:

I know Catholics always have Christmas day services.

But when I converted to SDA, we only had Christmas Day services if it fell on a Saturday, our normal day of worship.

Since Baptists worship on Sunday, and Sunday was Christmas Eve, would they have even had a Monday service?

Seems unlikely to me. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Seems unlikely to me. 

my church did NOT have services on christmas day this year, only christmas eve. that being said, if christmas would have been a sunday, we would have had church. 

• Love 4

Jeremy isn't quite riding the Duggar train but I think he is riding along with them.  They film for Counting On and Jeremy has some level of fame because of who Jinger is. 

Jinger and Jeremy have separated themselves somewhat but they are still in the vortex.

Whatever Jeremy's initial reasons, he really does seem to love and value her. Jinger's happiness looks so genuine. 

I think they're using Counting On as much as being used by it at this point. It's easy money and it's good money. Laredo is a low cost of living location, and they have no kids (yay!). So I think it's smart of them to have a nice, relaxed, easy lifestyle. Jinger's certainly earned it! Of course, this assumes that the Vuolos get their share directly without it going through JB, but I think that's actually likely. Jeremy should have experience with contracts from his professional soccer player days, and JB's not officially part of Counting On IIRC.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, zoomama said:

my church did NOT have services on christmas day this year, only christmas eve. that being said, if christmas would have been a sunday, we would have had church. 

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. (used too much shorthand) With Christmas Eve on a Sunday, it seemed unlikely to me that a church that size would have yet another service on Christmas Day. 

• Love 4

As much as I'm a fan of any Dugger setting foot in an actual serious science museum, I would love to know what Jinger made of the Franklin Institute.  There's no creation Jesus rode a dinosaur "science" anywhere to be found in that place.  Since it goes out of its way to make how the earth and how things work fun and accessible even to small children, it's pretty much the antithesis of anything she could have picked up at ye olde School of the Dining Room Table.

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

As much as I'm a fan of any Dugger setting foot in an actual serious science museum, I would love to know what Jinger made of the Franklin Institute.  There's no creation Jesus rode a dinosaur "science" anywhere to be found in that place.  Since it goes out of its way to make how the earth and how things work fun and accessible even to small children, it's pretty much the antithesis of anything she could have picked up at ye olde School of the Dining Room Table.

That would be interesting. Is creationism the antithesis of all scientific theory or just evolution? I grew up learning about evolution, thank God, but it doesn’t seem to me that it would be inconsistent to believe God created the earth but Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mynextmistake said:

That would be interesting. Is creationism the antithesis of all scientific theory or just evolution? I grew up learning about evolution, thank God, but it doesn’t seem to me that it would be inconsistent to believe God created the earth but Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity.

Well, it gets complicated, doesn't it? There's probably no issue with people discovering there's electricity. But I think their "belief," such as it is, may have tended toward Young Earth Creationism. So then you're saying that the Earth and the universe are only about 6,000 years old.

But a lot of the physics stuff and technologies discovered and embraced by the same people who studied electricity work together to -- apparently -- demonstrate that it's all a heckuva lot older than that. So to go with their view you have to reject all that science and technology -- which includes most of modern physics and chemistry and, of course, biology, and huge amounts of 19th-century-and-following technology as well, along with rejecting evolution. So their view pretty much makes all of modern science a house of cards that tumbles down once you take the "age of the world' card out of it.

And I don't think there's any good way to say -- We accept science up to this date. And we accept scientific discoverers through Mr. Blah BLah but not after. There's just no good place to draw the line. 

That proves to be a good reason to just not think about it very far, for most, I think. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, it gets complicated, doesn't it? There's probably no issue with people discovering there's electricity. But I think their "belief," such as it is, may have tended toward Young Earth Creationism. So then you're saying that the Earth and the universe are only about 6,000 years old.

But a lot of the physics stuff and technologies discovered and embraced by the same people who studied electricity work together to -- apparently -- demonstrate that it's all a heckuva lot older than that. So to go with their view you have to reject all that science and technology -- which includes most of modern physics and chemistry and, of course, biology, and huge amounts of 19th-century-and-following technology as well, along with rejecting evolution. So their view pretty much makes all of modern science a house of cards that tumbles down once you take the "age of the world' card out of it.

And I don't think there's any good way to say -- We accept science up to this date. And we accept scientific discoverers through Mr. Blah BLah but not after. There's just no good place to draw the line. 

That proves to be a good reason to just not think about it very far, for most, I think. 

I think that's exactly and precisely the reason.  I mean, who does have the mental wherewithal or understanding to argue with the fossil record with any amount of comprehension?  Theoretically I imagine 20% of the United States, max, and that the remaining 80% are dullards even after earth science.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Being in Philly, I guess we should have known this was coming. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdOfPuFBwJ1/

"jeremy_vuolo“A true wife is the husband’s better half, his flower of beauty, and his heart’s treasure. In her company he finds his earthly heaven; she is the light of his home, the comfort of his soul.” ~ C.H. Spurgeon"

A wife is his better half?  Hey Babe, the 1950's are calling & they want their sexist statements back.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6

Yikes, I was just at the FI!  imagining running into the V’s unexpectedly!  That would’ve been quite a treat!  Sorry I missed them ?I would have asked them about the Christmas Eve service and how soon they left town!  And congratulated them on being kid free thus far!  

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, ariel said:

"jeremy_vuolo“A true wife is the husband’s better half, his flower of beauty, and his heart’s treasure. In her company he finds his earthly heaven; she is the light of his home, the comfort of his soul.” ~ C.H. Spurgeon"

A wife is his better half?  Hey Babe, the 1950's are calling & they want their sexist statements back.

Spurgeon ‘s lifetime was during the mid to late 19th century during the reign of Queen Victoria.  It was not uncommon to write or speak in this manner during that time. 

True not only means genuine, but also faithful and devoted. I see how people might take issue with the bolded, but the rest sounded pretty darn poetic.

• Love 18
21 hours ago, zoomama said:

11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. (used too much shorthand) With Christmas Eve on a Sunday, it seemed unlikely to me that a church that size would have yet another service on Christmas Day. 

That's interesting. In my secular country, Christmas is pretty much the only time the churches are full. Traditionally during morning mass on Christmas day but in the past few decades Midnight mass on Christmas Eve has become increasingly popular, I assume mostly because people hate getting up in the morning. However, "Julotta" (really early Christmas day morning mass) is still a fairly big thing so most churches do both.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Spurgeon ‘s lifetime was during the mid to late 19th century during the reign of Queen Victoria.  It was not uncommon to write or speak in this manner during that time. 

Babe doesn't live during that time. It's an insulting reference at this time.

7 minutes ago, McManda said:

Don't get me wrong, it's verging on too flowery and sentimental for me to be comfortable with someone referencing me in that way, but I certainly wouldn't take offense if my husband referred to me as their better half.

... should I?

simply  put....no. do not take offense. 

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, ariel said:

Babe doesn't live during that time. It's an insulting reference at this time.

I'm actually OK with it...I think I was sort of indoctrinated to some of that language when I was quite young. As a child in early 1960's England, I received a set of Arthur Mee Children's Encyclopedias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children's_Encyclopædia ) which were my favorite reading materials between the ages of about 7-10. Looking back, they were dreadfully dated even then, but so much within them appealed to my nascent psyche that they still have at least as much influence in shaping my mind as any real-life associations. The language, at least, is simply part of the vocabulary I grew up with. I take no offense from language which was not meant to give it.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7

I’m surprised there would be no Christmas Day service,every church I’ve ever attended has Christmas Day services no matter what day Christmas falls on . Given the importance placed on Christmas I’m just ? at no serviceonChristmas Day 

• Love 1

Actually when I was trying to figure out whether it was normal to not have Christmas day services, I came across an article about Christmas day is less popular to go to church than Christmas Eve. More and more people are skipping Christmas day, and spending it with family and going Christmas Eve. Our church has services both days, but Christmas Eve is more popular. Since Jeremy's congregation is about 30-50 people, one service is probably enough. 

• Love 5

For most Protestant churches, my own included, the focus is on Christmas Eve.  (I think Episcopalians and Lutherans, who mirror the Catholic traditions a bit more closely, do have Christmas Day services.)   My own Methodist church has never had a service on Christmas Day unless it happened to fall on a Sunday.   Typically, there is an evening service on Christmas Eve, and  this year my church did have both its normal Sunday morning service and a special evening service, but with only 30 to 50 members, I could see Jeremy's congregation going with one service.  It's also entirely possible that it held some type of special children's Christmas program last week.  In short, I don't think that he neglected his job by heading for his parents' home when he did.

On a different note, I think Jeremy could further his career a bit more if he were assigned to a large church as an assistant minister.  Given his lack of education in the ministry, an apprenticeship would do him a world of good.  Unless he can really make this satellite church grow, I fear he will be doomed to a career at similar small, struggling churches. I know there has been some talk of an interest in publishing, and that might be a better route for him.  

I would love, love, love to see Jinger take some classes.  If he stays in the ministry, there will be some expectation that she will play a leadership role in the church via music, children's ministry, etc.  She needs to have some training, and it would be easiest to get it before they start having children.  

• Love 7
18 hours ago, ariel said:

I can see how the quote reinforces a double standard - the true (devoted, faithful) wife is the "better" half of the marriage - does that mean the husband doesn't have to be quite so devoted and faithful? It kinda suggests women should be better people than men, instead of equal people. 

It's not a glaring offense to me, but there does seem to be a subtle message.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

I can see how the quote reinforces a double standard - the true (devoted, faithful) wife is the "better" half of the marriage - does that mean the husband doesn't have to be quite so devoted and faithful? It kinda suggests women should be better people than men, instead of equal people. 

It's not a glaring offense to me, but there does seem to be a subtle message.

With your context, it goes with the Victorian (super-sexist) notion of the "Angel in the House." On the other hand, I have known people of both genders to jokingly or endearingly use the phrase so it didn't bother me as much. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Totally said:

I’m surprised there would be no Christmas Day service,every church I’ve ever attended has Christmas Day services no matter what day Christmas falls on . Given the importance placed on Christmas I’m just ? at no serviceonChristmas Day 

I’m UCC and we only have Christmas Day services if it falls on a Sunday. But you know those liberals...?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TVFAN said:

For most Protestant churches, my own included, the focus is on Christmas Eve.  (I think Episcopalians and Lutherans, who mirror the Catholic traditions a bit more closely, do have Christmas Day services.)   My own Methodist church has never had a service on Christmas Day unless it happened to fall on a Sunday.   Typically, there is an evening service on Christmas Eve, and  this year my church did have both its normal Sunday morning service and a special evening service, but with only 30 to 50 members, I could see Jeremy's congregation going with one service.  It's also entirely possible that it held some type of special children's Christmas program last week.  In short, I don't think that he neglected his job by heading for his parents' home when he did.

On a different note, I think Jeremy could further his career a bit more if he were assigned to a large church as an assistant minister.  Given his lack of education in the ministry, an apprenticeship would do him a world of good.  Unless he can really make this satellite church grow, I fear he will be doomed to a career at similar small, struggling churches. I know there has been some talk of an interest in publishing, and that might be a better route for him.  

I would love, love, love to see Jinger take some classes.  If he stays in the ministry, there will be some expectation that she will play a leadership role in the church via music, children's ministry, etc.  She needs to have some training, and it would be easiest to get it before they start having children.  

Fellow Methodist here!!! We have 6:00 and 11:00 pm services, and I love both! The first is lessons and carols / candlelight, and second has a sermon. It's so cool, because when it's over, it's Christmas! I agree about Jeremy getting an apprenticeship being the best thing for him. I think he should move back to where his family is from. Jinger sure would love living near New York!

• Love 2
On 12/27/2017 at 11:23 AM, lascuba said:

Agree with everyone one of your points...it's just impossible for me to believe that these relationships sprung up organically with nothing but like and attraction from the start. Decisions were made early one by these guys that had zero to do with what they thought about their eventual brides.

The only one I think who could have been ulterior-motive free is, funnily enough, Derick. He wanted the connection to the Duggars, obviously, since he was the one who contacted JB, but I don't think marrying into the family was his motive. I've always believed their claim that it was JB who thought he would be a good match for Jill and introduced them, and those two socially awkward nitwits were instantly attracted and hit it off.

I never thought I'd say this about Ben, but at this point I'm willing to cut him a tiny bit of slack because of his age at the time. Still have no sympathy for him if he's unhappy now, though. But I did find him sleazy in the beginning...he specifically set out to meet and court Jessa because he saw her on TV and found her hot, as well as having grand ambitions in preaching. Remember, the dude would spend his days protesting and "preaching" in front of abortion clinics. He spent his first months of marriage posting tirades on instagram about how everyone but him and his were going to hell. He started out with sleazy ulterior motives, for sure.

Can we please rename their thread “socially awkward nit wits?” PRETTY PLEASE?

• Love 8

So I always forget about these 2 when the show isn't on. Was just checking out their IGs -- looks like they spent Christmas in Philadelphia, So glad. IDK why -- I know his family is batshit fundie too. I just feel like when they're there, they aren't being asked 8000 times a day -- are you pregnant; are you sure; why not; aren't you trying; it's been a whole YEAR, how long will you wait; do you think you need to see a dr.; want to try a pregnancy test, just in case?? Even though they are fundie too, they only had 3 kids, so they probably aren't freaking out that their 24 year old daughter in law isn't pregnant within a year of marriage. They probably think that there is more than plenty of time to have 3-6 kids. Frankly they may be more "concerned" if they had been married for a year, had a baby and were pregnant with #2 bc we all know their son will have trouble providing for a big big family.

Plus when they're in Philadelphia, there's some semblance of normal. It's possible they went up to NYC. It's possible they visited Luis and his family in NJ and likely they did visit his grandmother who seemed like a normal NJ Italian grandma.

And color me shocked to see her on the campus of my alma mater, UPenn. Granted it's not like she's going to school there and it's not like the knowledge exudes out of the buildings, but she is soooo sheltered that ANY knowledge she can take away can only be a positive. Like if Jer even said to her -- let's go walk around Penn's campus -- it's a big university here in town, it's an Ivy league school; and she asked -- what's Ivy league and he could explain . . . . There's one thing she knows that she otherwise wouldn't given her upbringing. Same with the Franklin Institute. I know their views of science are effed up, but it has really simple exhibits -- like where you can walk thru an enormous model of a heart; so she can at least thing -- wow so this is how God designed for blood to get pumped . . . .And maybe notice how complex bodily functions are and realize -- hint hint -- I wonder if Jilly Muffin knows this from her online "classes," it's so complex that maybe when I give birth, I'll opt for a real dr . . . .

• Love 17