Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, cereality said:

So I always forget about these 2 when the show isn't on. Was just checking out their IGs -- looks like they spent Christmas in Philadelphia, So glad. IDK why -- I know his family is batshit fundie too. I just feel like when they're there, they aren't being asked 8000 times a day -- are you pregnant; are you sure; why not; aren't you trying; it's been a whole YEAR, how long will you wait; do you think you need to see a dr.; want to try a pregnancy test, just in case?? Even though they are fundie too, they only had 3 kids, so they probably aren't freaking out that their 24 year old daughter in law isn't pregnant within a year of marriage. They probably think that there is more than plenty of time to have 3-6 kids. Frankly they may be more "concerned" if they had been married for a year, had a baby and were pregnant with #2 bc we all know their son will have trouble providing for a big big family.

Plus when they're in Philadelphia, there's some semblance of normal. It's possible they went up to NYC. It's possible they visited Luis and his family in NJ and likely they did visit his grandmother who seemed like a normal NJ Italian grandma.

And color me shocked to see her on the campus of my alma mater, UPenn. Granted it's not like she's going to school there and it's not like the knowledge exudes out of the buildings, but she is soooo sheltered that ANY knowledge she can take away can only be a positive. Like if Jer even said to her -- let's go walk around Penn's campus -- it's a big university here in town, it's an Ivy league school; and she asked -- what's Ivy league and he could explain . . . . There's one thing she knows that she otherwise wouldn't given her upbringing. Same with the Franklin Institute. I know their views of science are effed up, but it has really simple exhibits -- like where you can walk thru an enormous model of a heart; so she can at least thing -- wow so this is how God designed for blood to get pumped . . . .And maybe notice how complex bodily functions are and realize -- hint hint -- I wonder if Jilly Muffin knows this from her online "classes," it's so complex that maybe when I give birth, I'll opt for a real dr . . . .

Love all this speculation. I wish we knew (I don't think we do) whether Jeremy is a young-Earth creationist...If I knew that he at least accepted the age of the Earth and the possibility that a god set abiogenesis/evolution in motion then let it play out, it would do wonders to the way I might otherwise think of him.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Love all this speculation. I wish we knew (I don't think we do) whether Jeremy is a young-Earth creationist...If I knew that he at least accepted the age of the Earth and the possibility that a god set abiogenesis/evolution in motion then let it play out, it would do wonders to the way I might otherwise think of him.

My guess was that they took Jingle to the Franklin Institute to show her something of the world's more, uh, sophisticated thinking. HIs dad's a little on the rabid side, but he doesn't have the Duggar embrace-of-ignorance going on. I expect the anti-intellectualism of the Duggars -- or love of their own ignorance and stupidity, or whatever the heck it is -- drives all the Vuolos a bit nuts. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm not sure why I keep reminding people, but Jeremy's family while conservative evangelical is not fundie.  There really is a difference.  His family is not KJV only, quiverful (which is distinct from fundie), not against kissing before marriage, not anti-alcohol, not anti-dancing, not anti-TV and movies, etc.  Evangelicals still have some bigoted ideas, but that doesn't make them fundie.  :)

ETA:  Young earth creationism is probably another fundie thing that Jeremy and his family don't hold as a belief.

Hmm - well that's a pleasant surprise. I actually didn't know that about him bc I don't know much about his background besides the fact that he (and his dad?) are preachers of some type. So between that and seeking out a marriage with Jing, I assumed fundie. Maybe that means Jing will go (is going - from the looks of it) a bit more "mainstream" -- i.e. no yearly baby, wearing pants, maybe an occasional movie/tv show/museum etc.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

My guess was that they took Jingle to the Franklin Institute to show her something of the world's more, uh, sophisticated thinking. HIs dad's a little on the rabid side, but he doesn't have the Duggar embrace-of-ignorance going on. I expect the anti-intellectualism of the Duggars drives all the Vuolos a bit nuts. 

Haven't been following closely, but I'm not sure how talk of the Franklin Institute led to evolution/creationism. The Franklin Institute is a regular old science museum -- doesn't even necessarily have an evolution exhibit at all times. You can walk through the exhibit of the human heart. There are some exhibits re the eyes/vision/color. There's a planetarium and an I max theater. There is currently an exhibit re fireworks and pyrotechnics generally and how they work. There's usually a few exhibits having to do with liquid nitrogen and how frozen gases behave. You are free to believe -- or not -- that all of these things work this way bc that's how God made them. But the museum is showing Jinger a lot of things that she hasn't seen before. It's not like she went to school where she took 10th grade chemistry and saw basic experiments with chemicals and fire. It's not like took 9th grade bio where she may have learn something about heart or eye structures or even the color spectrum/wavelength thing that you learn in middle school science (RoyGBIV).

• Love 8

I remember upthread there was a photo of Jinger attending a Dallas production of A Christmas Carol.  I wonder if she was familiar with the story.  I'm thinking Duggars are not allowed to read the classics, but maybe an exception was made for this book since it has a great message.  Then again, it has ghosts in it, so goodness knows in Duggardom that might be considered demonic.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, cereality said:

Haven't been following closely, but I'm not sure how talk of the Franklin Institute led to evolution/creationism. The Franklin Institute is a regular old science museum -- doesn't even necessarily have an evolution exhibit at all times. You can walk through the exhibit of the human heart. There are some exhibits re the eyes/vision/color. There's a planetarium and an I max theater. There is currently an exhibit re fireworks and pyrotechnics generally and how they work. There's usually a few exhibits having to do with liquid nitrogen and how frozen gases behave. You are free to believe -- or not -- that all of these things work this way bc that's how God made them. But the museum is showing Jinger a lot of things that she hasn't seen before. It's not like she went to school where she took 10th grade chemistry and saw basic experiments with chemicals and fire. It's not like took 9th grade bio where she may have learn something about heart or eye structures or even the color spectrum/wavelength thing that you learn in middle school science (RoyGBIV).

Well, that's just it when people of the Duggar ilk are being discussed...because a place that "doesn't even necessarily have an evolution exhibit at all times", has a planetarium, and lets one draw their own conclusions on whether a god set everything in motion still presumably accepts that the Earth is over 6,000 years old, which is quite possibly (I'm not sure whether this is something the Duggars have really discussed, though they did go to Ken Hamm's Ark Exhibit, no?) something beyond Jinger's science education right there.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cereality said:

Gothard's Wisdumb Booklets have a section on the eye. It pertains to some Bible verse (not the plank that Derelict needs to pull out of his). In any case, they study the structure of the eye in depth. And that is probably all the science they get out of those booklets. 

#bizarroworldfacts

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Gothard's Wisdumb Booklets have a section on the eye. It pertains to some Bible verse (not the plank that Derelict needs to pull out of his). In any case, they study the structure of the eye in depth. And that is probably all the science they get out of those booklets. 

#bizarroworldfacts

I suppose it's probably only in there as an example of irreducible complexity or something, and never mentions the fact that all sorts of other animals have proto-eyes, even if they are nothing more than a patch of cells capable of recognizing dark from light. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, cereality said:

The conversation only got to evolution because someone was musing about whether the Duggs' rejection of evolution means that they reject science in general -- including experimenting with electricity, for example. I.e., do they reject evolution but feel okay about going to a museum and looking at physics and chemistry exhibits?

Nobody was saying that the museum is evolution-focused. We were just trying to figure out what young-earth creationism may mean for the Duggar worldview in general. My opinion is that, for them at least, the creationism is just part of their overall anti-intellectualism (and hyper-fundie crowd-following).

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm not sure why I keep reminding people, but Jeremy's family while conservative evangelical is not fundie.  There really is a difference.  His family is not KJV only, quiverful (which is distinct from fundie), not against kissing before marriage, not anti-alcohol, not anti-dancing, not anti-TV and movies, etc.  Evangelicals still have some bigoted ideas, but that doesn't make them fundie.  :)

ETA:  Young earth creationism is probably another fundie thing that Jeremy and his family don't hold as a belief.

If you google Pastor Chuck Vuolo's name, you will find that he is described as a Reformed Baptist. It also looks like he has moved around quite a bit in the past few years. When Jeremy and Jinger were married, he was pastor of Grace Community Church in Downington,Pa. Now, he's co-pastor of New Life Church, which doesn't have a church but holds services in a Christian Bible camp in Maryland. In the past, he was also pastor of another church in Maryland. Maybe, all three are connected because Jeremy's Laredo church is Grace Church as well.  He has a bunch of sermons on You-tube, but if you dare listen, be forewarned. They are bombastic and interminable. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, bythelake said:

If you google Pastor Chuck Vuolo's name, you will find that he is described as a Reformed Baptist. It also looks like he has moved around quite a bit in the past few years. When Jeremy and Jinger were married, he was pastor of Grace Community Church in Downington,Pa. Now, he's co-pastor of New Life Church, which doesn't have a church but holds services in a Christian Bible camp in Maryland. In the past, he was also pastor of another church in Maryland. Maybe, all three are connected because Jeremy's Laredo church is Grace Church as well.  He has a bunch of sermons on You-tube, but if you dare listen, be forewarned. They are bombastic and interminable. 

He's also done some sermons at the parent church of Jer's church, Grace Community Church in San Antonio. There are at least one testimony and two sermons that he delivered there this fall on their website.     https://gccsatx.com/                    https://gccsatx.com/page/2/

12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, that's just it when people of the Duggar ilk are being discussed...because a place that "doesn't even necessarily have an evolution exhibit at all times", has a planetarium, and lets one draw their own conclusions on whether a god set everything in motion still presumably accepts that the Earth is over 6,000 years old, which is quite possibly (I'm not sure whether this is something the Duggars have really discussed, though they did go to Ken Hamm's Ark Exhibit, no?) something beyond Jinger's science education right there.

Yeah, letting people draw their own conclusions only works if they have the capacity to even ask themselves the question. No way does Jinger go to a planetarium and connect that to the age of the planets. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

Maybe, all three are connected because Jeremy's Laredo church is Grace Church as well.  He has a bunch of sermons on You-tube, but if you dare listen, be forewarned. They are bombastic and interminable. 

My mind is now drawn to Shaggy singing Mr. Bombastic.  If you’ve seen the Chase Bank commercial, you’ve heard at least a sample of it.  Since I live mostly in a world of classic rock/symphonic metal/ Jazz/Latin and World music, I’m not really plugged into what’s popular unless youtube has it on. I’ve unintentionally come across some treasures 

Dammit! My other musings got wiped out. I’m planning to spend most of today cleaning up the house and putting the gift wrap away for next year. I may lurk on breaks.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

He's also done some sermons at the parent church of Jer's church, Grace Community Church in San Antonio. There are at least one testimony and two sermons that he delivered there this fall on their website.     https://gccsatx.com/                    https://gccsatx.com/page/2/

Well, Church Honey, I bit the bullet and listened to his testimony, but couldn't bring myself to listen to the 2 sermons that were each close to 50 min. in duration. (I'm used to the whole Mass lasting only 45 min.)

The testimony was very interesting, as I guess his family  had been Catholic and at the time, he was attending a Catholic church, but becoming increasingly disillusioned. 

His journey to evangelism closely mirrors Jeremy's journey; he was in college, floundering in his personal life and searching for a purpose. He failed a course, and dropped out of soccer as well. 

I won't tell the whole story here, those who wish can listen to it as well ( it's only 9+ min.), but I have to admit  he's much more charismatic than his son.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

My mind is now drawn to Shaggy singing Mr. Bombastic.  If you’ve seen the Chase Bank commercial, you’ve heard at least a sample of it.  Since I live mostly in a world of classic rock/symphonic metal/ Jazz/Latin and World music, I’m not really plugged into what’s popular unless youtube has it on. I’ve unintentionally come across some treasures 

Dammit! My other musings got wiped out. I’m planning to spend most of today cleaning up the house and putting the gift wrap away for next year. I may lurk on breaks.

Love that pig, and the catchy song. I wondered what it was. Happy New Year Arwen, Hope your health will continue to improve.

• Love 5
On December 30, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Rabbittron said:

It looks like Jin and Jer are getting more main stream then we realize.  I don't want to jeopardize my job so if you want the details pm me and I will respond to you tonight. 

In my mind, I'm going to pretend this means that you have some kind of insider knowledge that Jinger is on the pill or some other kind of Rx birth control. Or that they donated to Planned Parenthood. And I'm not going to PM you because I like that fantasy and I don't really want to know if that's not it. :)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 20
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, Churchhoney said:

Back when the church had a website, he was clearly listed as THE pastor and leader of the church. His photos were front and center and there were blurbs about Meet the Pastor and so on, and he talked about his philosophy of churching. That was the church's only website, and nobody else was mentioned in any capacity. They've now apparently replaced that website with a Facebook page, and I can only find the original site cached or in the Wayback Machine. But here's the most recent thing they have on "church leadership" -- https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5oZz-_TVYTcJ:https://www.gcclaredo.com/leadership+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

And now the church seems to have a Facebook page as its main site and, again, it seems pretty clear that he da man.   https://www.facebook.com/gcc.laredo/

All along it was clear that other people lead stuff there because from the beginning they listed regular Wednesday and Friday events, along with Sunday services, and he was very often out of town on those weekdays. So somebody was running them. But I've never seen hide nor hair of those people. Maybe they're members of the congregation or other people who shuffle over from the planting church in San Antonio. But they aren't given any credit for participation. So Jer clearly is the boss. And has been for quite some time. 

(Boss or no, though, in a church that tiny you don't get a big paycheck even if you do all the work, as far as I've heard from people I know who've been in small churches. So I don't think there's any way they're actually living off anything but TLC money (because his soccer career couldn't possibly have been well paid either, since he was in a near-minor-league team in Finland and only on a MLS U.S. team for about a season, and then into the minor leagues here...)) 

The Facebook page also suggests to me that the Duggar stardom is least if not the major drawing card for the church, so he definitely made the right career call by marrying in, looks like. 

I really can't stand people who doing nothing, and then claim all the glory from the work of underlings.  I don't follow Babe other than what's posted here, but in all his self-glory, has he ever posted what a great pastor's wife Jinger is?

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I could maybe see that about every guy accept Ben....in what ways do you perceive Ben as “sleezy”. To me he seems like the most kind hearted and sincere of the group. 

I will add Austen at this point, but reserve the right to change my mind.  He manages to adore Joy in a more simple way, unlike that unctuous Eddie Haskell Babe who praises Jinge while somehow flattering himself as well.  Bin initially got on my nerves, but he's a loving father, and that gets points from me.

By the way, a few of the Bateses' husbands ring my creep bell, so maybe it's the uber religiousness.  

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, SMama said:

It must be nice to be one in a group of six, instead of one in a herd. No duckling following the parents pictures. Good for Jinger, enjoy some sense of normalcy.

I used to think that Jessa and Jinge were BFFs, and that Jinge would struggle with separating from Jessa.  Now I'm of the believe that Jinge was clever enough to team up with the head mean girl, hide behind her while Jessa mouthed out to everyone, and also taught her the best places to hide from Jill and Jana and work, and how best to ignore their buddies.  Jessa seems devastated in the loss of her BFF, and Jinge seems delighted that she got all the best of Jessa, but he's a male who likes to teach her about sex.

• Love 8

I think Jinger got stuck with Jessa as a bestie by birth order. She probably started ruling over Jinger before Jinger knew what was happening. I don't think any of the Duggar 19 miss each other in the true sense because they have all been raised to be detached. The only alliance that JB & M allowed those kids to have was to JB & M.

I'm guessing after the initial adjustment of less noise and less people Jinger adjusted quite nicely to her new found autonomy. I don't know if there's a Walmart around but Jinger got something close to her sinful wish of living in a city.

I wonder what is was like the first time Jinger did laundry. She must have been like, WTF, I'm done?!

• Love 17
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder what is was like the first time Jinger did laundry. She must have been like, WTF, I'm done?!

Two people can generate a surprising amount of laundry, but two loads compared to 40 plus a week seems almost insignificant.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Raising the question -- Were they actively delaying this or was it just slow to happen? Sometimes when you're very thin, it does take longer. Don't know if she's thin enough for that to be true, though. 

I'm going to hold the thought that they were careful for the first several months, at least. Don't want to give up on all my Duggarling dreams. 

And I suppose this increases the likelihood of a few more "seasons." That's at least three babeez for 2018. And four or more wouldn't surprise me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

I'm sorry she caved so soon, if indeed they were using BC.  It is a cute photo in the link.  They do look happy.

Cynical old me thinks Jer will not like adjusting his life, and sharing Jin's heretofore complete devotion to Jer, with a baby.  Of course, I could be full of shit :)

Time will tell...

• Love 6

Assuming (big assumption) they were preventing at first, this means they'll become parents around their second anniversary.  Not an overly long time period, but a comfortable one.  I'm happy for them.

As I was brushing my teeth this morning, I started wondering if she got pregnant on her birthday since she hinted on Instagram that they spent that afternoon in the sack.  No kid wants to know they were a party favor from their Mom's birthday.  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 5

I'm happy for them.  They look happy and they will have had two years before the baby is born. 

I guessing that jeremy will be an "overposter" on social media with a pregnant belly and later a baby.  I foresee tons of cheesy posts. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’m happy for them and I wish her an easy time. I was surprised she managed to postpone it this long, but they seem really happy about it.  Jeremy is all Dr Teeth about it.

Hopefully, she’ll pass on Dr Jill, Medicine Woman, and go to a real OB/GYN. Maybe she’d be so lucky to get to go to one as good as our @doodlebug. If I lived in the Cleveland area, I’d so be going to her.

Yes, I really hope Jeremy values his wife and his unborn child enough to INSIST on having real medical care, not Dr. Jill and her medical "things."

• Love 9

I could see Jeremy, who had a six-month van on visitors, having a one-year ban on babieeeeees. At least I am hoping! Maybe jinger has the duggar fertility and got pregnant as soon as they started trying. Part of me feels sad, because I know she's so scared of childbirth! Cue bestie Jessa getting knocked up again in 3, 2, 1...

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Normades said:

Yes, I really hope Jeremy values his wife and his unborn child enough to INSIST on having real medical care, not Dr. Jill and her medical "things."

I think there's a good chance. They're hundreds of miles away from Duggar Central.

And I hold out the hope that Jill and Jessa may be a bit peculiar among the Duggarlings in their devotion to home-births-with-no-medical-staff-on-site. They both conceive of their lives in kind of heroic terms, Jill thinks she's deeply educated about childbirth and Jessa tries to arrange everything in her life to make good TV, I think.

Since their mother didn't always do it this way, I'm thinking other Duggar kidults may be different. I can picture Jingle, Jana and Joe, for example, just to take three young adult kids at random, all thinking that they don't want heroic near bleedouts and screaming ambulance rides in their or their babies' futures and seeing a hospital or professional birthing center as a good thing. And if they have any sense at all, they should see that the home birth thing might well end up costing more, too, if it creates an emergency, in addition to the potential near-death scares. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

I don’t think they necessarily started trying right away, but I also don’t think Jinger was using BC either.  I’m not sure Jeremy is the type to suggest condoms, but it’s possible he wanted to get through the honeymoon phase and they started trying about the six month mark.  When did Jinger post that weird flower pic of their random romantic date night that we thought would eventually be a pregnancy announcement?

• Love 1

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! say it isn't so!

Not sure why I had so much invested in her not getting pregnant for a few years, but at least she didn't get pregnant 2.3 seconds after leaving the alter as per tradition....

• Love 17