Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Catfin said:

She looks as though she had a big cup of coffee with Bailey's. Lol ? She looks a little booze happy.

We can only hope that she's broadening her palate with a sip or two......or twenty.   ;-)   As Italians, they should have at least a big bottle of Amaretto at Ma & Pa V's house.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

I doubt Ma or Pa drink. Granny Vuolo, who isn't even Italian, looks like she had as nip every now and then. I know I would if my son turned out to be a nutter.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Does anyone else think Jinger has a very real fear of giving birth and that's part of the reason there are no little Vuolos yet?

I think any woman with half a brain has a some kind of fear of child birth. It’s painful, life changing and yes many things can go wrong. 

But it I doubt that’s the reason she isn’t pregnant yet. They’ve only been married a YEAR, and she’s 24....neither of them see the rush. 

They will most likely have kids, but probably 2-3, MAYBE 4 if Jinger has easy pregnancies. They could wait a decade to have kids if they wanted. 

• Love 11
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looks like they're at Ma and Pa Vuolos'.

Looks like divorced daddy has visitation rights for the holidays. 

ETA - is Babe ever at his church?  He's too busy traveling at Xmas to show up for services?  Who won't love a job that you get a paycheck for & never have to show up for?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, ariel said:

Looks like divorced daddy has visitation rights for the holidays. 

ETA - is Babe ever at his church?  He's too busy traveling at Xmas to show up for services?  Who won't love a job that you get a paycheck for & never have to show up for?

I seem to remember us having this same conversation LAST Christmas, too. He's been away from his little flock two Christmas's in a row.

• Love 5

Maybe his position in the Church is much lower than what he's implied so he doesn't have to be there for the holidays or much at all. I don't know how these small churches work, but it IS odd that he gets away with spending so much time away, so I'm starting to wonder if it's because he actually really doesn't need to be there.

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Maybe his position in the Church is much lower than what he's implied so he doesn't have to be there for the holidays or much at all. I don't know how these small churches work, but it IS odd that he gets away with spending so much time away, so I'm starting to wonder if it's because he actually really doesn't need to be there.

I was raised an evil Catholic and Xmas is a very important spiritual time.

If his position is that low, he can't be making the money to support his & Jinger's life style.  I think he's living off the TLC nest egg that Jing brought into the marriage.  Well played Babe.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Back when the church had a website, he was clearly listed as THE pastor and leader of the church. His photos were front and center and there were blurbs about Meet the Pastor and so on, and he talked about his philosophy of churching. That was the church's only website, and nobody else was mentioned in any capacity. They've now apparently replaced that website with a Facebook page, and I can only find the original site cached or in the Wayback Machine. But here's the most recent thing they have on "church leadership" -- https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5oZz-_TVYTcJ:https://www.gcclaredo.com/leadership+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

And now the church seems to have a Facebook page as its main site and, again, it seems pretty clear that he da man.   https://www.facebook.com/gcc.laredo/

All along it was clear that other people lead stuff there because from the beginning they listed regular Wednesday and Friday events, along with Sunday services, and he was very often out of town on those weekdays. So somebody was running them. But I've never seen hide nor hair of those people. Maybe they're members of the congregation or other people who shuffle over from the planting church in San Antonio. But they aren't given any credit for participation. So Jer clearly is the boss. And has been for quite some time. 

(Boss or no, though, in a church that tiny you don't get a big paycheck even if you do all the work, as far as I've heard from people I know who've been in small churches. So I don't think there's any way they're actually living off anything but TLC money (because his soccer career couldn't possibly have been well paid either, since he was in a near-minor-league team in Finland and only on a MLS U.S. team for about a season, and then into the minor leagues here...)) 

The Facebook page also suggests to me that the Duggar stardom is least if not the major drawing card for the church, so he definitely made the right career call by marrying in, looks like. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

How did he support himself before TLC?

He was on a minor-league San Antonio soccer team until shortly before he became a help-plant-a-church guy for Grace Community Church in San Antonio. So he would have gotten at least a small salary from both of those. And while he only had one year as a MLS soccer guy, that was shortly before he went to TExas, so it's possible he had a little money left over from then. I'm sure he wasn't living large at that point, but he had something coming in. And he obviously would have gotten some TLC money before they were married, because at least part of their courtship and all of their engagement were on the show, right? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

It appears that the Vuolos had Jinger's SUV packed and ready to get out of Laredo the second that early Christmas Eve sermon was over. 

What a cold little church. It reminds me of Steve Anderson's (the Pissing Preacher) outfit. 

• Love 10

There are plenty of little churches in Texas that are hard pressed to afford a roof repair or a window unit A/C, because their congregations are also low income folks.  Their pastors/deacons do all the dirty work and outreach and meeting pastoral needs.

The little Baptist church in Texas where that horrific mass shooting occurred only had between 75 to 100 members, so small churches are common in Texas Jeremy seems to never be at his little church, or that’s the impression his social media presence gives him.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

It appears that the Vuolos had Jinger's SUV packed and ready to get out of Laredo the second that early Christmas Eve sermon was over. 

What a cold little church. It reminds me of Steve Anderson's (the Pissing Preacher) outfit. 

I hope Babe didn't give his anti masturbation sermon.  If so, I'd also get out of town quick too.

• Love 5

I really believe Jeremy is nuts.  Jinger was so limited in life experience that she thinks he is amazing.  

They seem happy and he seems to be treating her nicely or at least better than the Duggars treated her. 

But I still think he is a complete wacko.  

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I really believe Jeremy is nuts.  Jinger was so limited in life experience that she thinks he is amazing.  

They seem happy and he seems to be treating her nicely or at least better than the Duggars treated her. 

I agree. I figure that anyone who willingly hops aboard the Duggar crazy train, especially if they weren’t raised like the Duggars, has to have a screw or 2 or 10 loose.  Either that or they are a desperate fame whore. Or, as I suspect in Jeremy’s case, both.

• Love 9

I think Jeremy's parents know Jeremy has a screw loose.  They kinda smile and nod, like they are making the best of things. I'm sure they like Jinger but no way the Vuolos aren't mentally freaking out over Jeremy being associated with the Duggars and anything to do with josh Duggar makes everyone grab a puke bag. 

• Love 6

Jeremy isn't quite riding the Duggar train but I think he is riding along with them.  They film for Counting On and Jeremy has some level of fame because of who Jinger is. 

Jinger and Jeremy have separated themselves somewhat but they are still in the vortex. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I don't see that Jeremy jumped aboard the Duggar train.  I think he drove HIS train on to their tracks & invited Jinger to jump in his engine and chug-chug-chug right out of Duggarland.   And she did.  No hesitation, no looking back, no regretful whining or remorse of any kind.  It seems they spend time with her family when they feel like it. 

Jeremy & Jinger seem to be doing exactly what they want to do.  Travelling, socializing and enjoying the arts.  They are not dancing to Jim Bob's tune in any way I can see, so deriving any fame or advantages from him is so unlikely.  And Jeremy seems to be booking speaking engagements without any mention of his in-laws. He may be getting paid alongside Jinger for the shows, he may have saved plenty of money from his Soccer days or he may have a trust fund.  It's not definite they're living off her earnings.  

He's had speaking engagements? Do tell. I hadn't heard about that. I only heard of him attending a few ministers' conferences but not speaking at them. Tell us more. 

... He really couldn't have saved much money from soccer, though. His two years or so of minor-leaguish soccer he couldn't have earned very much -- the Finland year was his first year as a pro, and nobody makes much then, and the Finnish team he was on is sort of on the bubble of their "major league," largely, I read, because the team doesn't have much money. And Then he only played MLS soccer for about one season. The median MLS salary is about 90,000, so for a second-year pro and a first-year major leaguer, that's certainly the most he could have made, and he may have made less. That's a nice salary, but that was a few years ago now, and after that he didn't work at all for a while, it appears, and then he rode the bench on a little minor-league San Antonio team, where you make very little. 

Anyway, though, I want to hear more about the speaking engagements. What does he speak on? Are they church-related or has he got another topic?  Are there links somewhere?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, EVS said:

I agree. I figure that anyone who willingly hops aboard the Duggar crazy train, especially if they weren’t raised like the Duggars, has to have a screw or 2 or 10 loose.  Either that or they are a desperate fame whore. Or, as I suspect in Jeremy’s case, both.

Yeah, when it comes right down to it, no good and decent mature person would be willing to go through the whole courtship nonsense for someone they barely know, no matter how strong the initial attraction might be. Add the fact that the courtship has to be done in front of cameras? AND that he's allegedly become MORE religious as he's gotten older? Look, I'm sure Jinger and Jeremy are happy and I'm not saying he's an ogre, but he's very much an opportunist who possibly lucked out in feeling real affection and even love for his mark. 

52 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I think Jeremy's parents know Jeremy has a screw loose.  They kinda smile and nod, like they are making the best of things. I'm sure they like Jinger but no way the Vuolos aren't mentally freaking out over Jeremy being associated with the Duggars and anything to do with josh Duggar makes everyone grab a puke bag. 

It's either that or they know Jeremy's religiosity is mostly fake so they're not concerned. I go back and forth on that. I just don't see him sticking with the fundamentalism if he doesn't get some kind of payout from it. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I don't see "divorced daddy" at all. It's not like she has braces and a pony tail and he has gray hair and an oxygen tank. I see a happy young couple who enjoy being together. 

I guess we all just see what we want to see. 

I agree. And no matter if she DID look young, the fact is she is in her mid-20s. 

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I agree. And no matter if she DID look young, the fact is she is in her mid-20s. 

Yeah, I agree with you & @Maharincess Jinger doesn’t look THAT young. She just turned 24, doesn’t drink, smoke, hasn’t had a terminal illness and isn’t in stage makeup 24/7, she’s going to look a lot fresher than someone who’s 24 and has lived “hard”. As a “baby faced person”, I have had to remind people that how old someone looks is not an indicator of how old they are. And Jeremy doesn’t look middle aged in the slightest. 

• Love 16

I'd hate to see what the comments would be on my nephew and his girlfriend. He's 22 and she's 21, but he looks much, much older. He's got a pretty severe widows peak, so he keeps his hair pretty much shaved (making it way worse) and he wears old man looking glasses. He's always being mistaken for her dad when they are out together. I've given up on trying to convince him to at least grow the hair a bit to look 22 and not 45. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 6

Jinger really can’t help how old she looks, nor can Jeremy help how old HE looks.  Jinger has been sheltered and is lucky to have seen sunlight.  She doesn’t have years of partying under her belt or years of physical stress from sports like Jeremy the Holy Goalie does.  Plus, genetics play a  large part of how we age.  I hate to admit that Jinger’s parents look pretty good, all things considered. 

I work in a pretty large high school and people STILL ask me why I’m not in class/“WHERE SHOULD YOU BE” even though I’m 30 years old.  It’s annoying when people discredit you for looking young. I can’t knock Jinger for looking old or Jeremy for looking his age.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, EVS said:

The way I see it, given that I'm the sort of heathen who only follows religious type personalities/programming when there's snark to be had, I would never have heard of him if it were not for the Duggar train, and neither would most other people who were not either of the  humper or anti-humper mentality...which honestly doesn't leave a huge chunk of the population. Most people seem to only be peripherally aware of the Duggars, and the average Christian out there would probably find his name a complete cipher, which isn't the best road to becoming the sort of household name that I suspect he would like to be.

He may well love Jinger, he may be good to her, and she may be blissfully happy with him, which, well and good, but I still can't help but suspect ulterior motives in at least a portion in his pursuing her to begin with.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

Why do you think he’s nuts and 

wacko?

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 2

A reminder: People don't have to prove, explain or otherwise persuade you to their opinions. Folks can hold any opinion they like as they want as long as they aren't rude to other posters. Critiquing the snark or expressing amazement that folks could see it differently is skirting the line about snarking on posters, so don't do it.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The way I see it, given that I'm the sort of heathen who only follows religious type personalities/programming when there's snark to be had, I would never have heard of him if it were not for the Duggar train, and neither would most other people who were not either of the  humper or anti-humper mentality...which honestly doesn't leave a huge chunk of the population. Most people seem to only be peripherally aware of the Duggars, and the average Christian out there would probably find his name a complete cipher, which isn't the best road to becoming the sort of household name that I suspect he would like to be.

He may well love Jinger, he may be good to her, and she may be blissfully happy with him, which, well and good, but I still can't help but suspect ulterior motives in at least a portion in his pursuing her to begin with.

I don't think Der, Bin or Jer is necessarily a bad guy. And I think they were all attracted to their wives for various reasons. However, I also don't think it's a coincidence that all three of them came into the situation with ambitions for fundie-religion-related careers, possibly high-profile ones (just as I don't think it's a coincidence that Kendra's father is an ambitious minister in the same religious lane as JB and M and that her parents seemed pretty eager for this marriage). 

All three of them did have to go out of their way to hook up with a Duggar woman, in my opinion. Yet all three seemed to get involved in the situation very quickly, apparently without much of a second thought, before they even knew the woman very well. All three of them clearly got the tickle of interest in the Duggar family and their situation before they met the woman. And to go on with the courtship they had to be okay with having JB and M as in-laws; to at least some extent they had to tailor their courting schedules to fit in with the requirements of a TeeVee filming schedule and the demands of very pushy future in-laws (whom Jer, at least, didn't seem to like from the very beginning); and they had to be down with being on a reality TeeVee show, which would cause some people to at least hesitate a bit. 

My feeling is that, if these three guys had aspired to be something other than hotshot fundie clergy -- say, history professors or owners of successful electrical supply and repair companies or something -- they would very likely have lacked the extra excitement about their brides-to-be that it would take to not just get you past all those hurdles but to get you past those hurdles with pretty much lightning speed. That, to me, is where the ulterior motive comes in.

I'm not saying it's evil. And I'm also not saying that any of them was or is conscious of having it as a motive.  I'm just saying that I can't imagine that the chance to use the Duggar hyper-religious reputation, connections and international TeeVee fame to help boost their career ambitions wasn't one of the motivating factors behind their willingness to quickly brush aside any qualms or inconveniences in this situation and speedily embrace it.

They certainly aren't the only people to get married for reasons that go beyond the attributes of the bride or groom to be, as most famous people or rich people could tell you -- it's why a lot of famous and/or rich people don't trust anybody. And having an ulterior motive doesn't necessarily harm a relationship, although it certainly could increase disappointment down the line, if the relationship isn't a great one in other ways. But if the relationship works out well, and especially if the ulterior motive is achieved, I expect you could have a great marriage that had an ulterior motive at the beginning of it. 

• Love 16
51 minutes ago, ariel said:

I think all of the Duggar daughter's husbands have a sleazy vibe about them in different ways.  And then there's Josh....

I could maybe see that about every guy accept Ben....in what ways do you perceive Ben as “sleezy”. To me he seems like the most kind hearted and sincere of the group. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't think Der, Bin or Jer is necessarily a bad guy. And I think they were all attracted to their wives for various reasons. However, I also don't think it's a coincidence that all three of them came into the situation with ambitions for fundie-religion-related careers, possibly high-profile ones (just as I don't think it's a coincidence that Kendra's father is an ambitious minister in the same religious lane as JB and M and that her parents seemed pretty eager for this marriage). 

All three of them did have to go out of their way to hook up with a Duggar woman, in my opinion. Yet all three seemed to get involved in the situation very quickly, apparently without much of a second thought, before they even knew the woman very well. All three of them clearly got the tickle of interest in the Duggar family and their situation before they met the woman. And to go on with the courtship they had to be okay with having JB and M as in-laws; to at least some extent they had to tailor their courting schedules to fit in with the requirements of a TeeVee filming schedule and the demands of very pushy future in-laws (whom Jer, at least, didn't seem to like from the very beginning); and they had to be down with being on a reality TeeVee show, which would cause some people to at least hesitate a bit. 

My feeling is that, if these three guys had aspired to be something other than hotshot fundie clergy -- say, history professors or owners of successful electrical supply and repair companies or something -- they would very likely have lacked the extra excitement about their brides-to-be that it would take to not just get you past all those hurdles but to get you past those hurdles with pretty much lightning speed. That, to me, is where the ulterior motive comes in.

I'm not saying it's evil. And I'm also not saying that any of them was or is conscious of having it as a motive.  I'm just saying that I can't imagine that the chance to use the Duggar hyper-religious reputation, connections and international TeeVee fame to help boost their career ambitions wasn't one of the motivating factors behind their willingness to quickly brush aside any qualms or inconveniences in this situation and speedily embrace it.

They certainly aren't the only people to get married for reasons that go beyond the attributes of the bride or groom to be, as most famous people or rich people could tell you -- it's why a lot of famous and/or rich people don't trust anybody. And having an ulterior motive doesn't necessarily harm a relationship, although it certainly could increase disappointment down the line, if the relationship isn't a great one in other ways. But if the relationship works out well, and especially if the ulterior motive is achieved, I expect you could have a great marriage that had an ulterior motive at the beginning of it. 

Agree with everyone one of your points...it's just impossible for me to believe that these relationships sprung up organically with nothing but like and attraction from the start. Decisions were made early one by these guys that had zero to do with what they thought about their eventual brides.

The only one I think who could have been ulterior-motive free is, funnily enough, Derick. He wanted the connection to the Duggars, obviously, since he was the one who contacted JB, but I don't think marrying into the family was his motive. I've always believed their claim that it was JB who thought he would be a good match for Jill and introduced them, and those two socially awkward nitwits were instantly attracted and hit it off.

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could maybe see that about every guy accept Ben....in what ways do you perceive Ben as “sleezy”. To me he seems like the most kind hearted and sincere of the group. 

I never thought I'd say this about Ben, but at this point I'm willing to cut him a tiny bit of slack because of his age at the time. Still have no sympathy for him if he's unhappy now, though. But I did find him sleazy in the beginning...he specifically set out to meet and court Jessa because he saw her on TV and found her hot, as well as having grand ambitions in preaching. Remember, the dude would spend his days protesting and "preaching" in front of abortion clinics. He spent his first months of marriage posting tirades on instagram about how everyone but him and his were going to hell. He started out with sleazy ulterior motives, for sure.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I never thought I'd say this about Ben, but at this point I'm willing to cut him a tiny bit of slack because of his age at the time. Still have no sympathy for him if he's unhappy now, though. But I did find him sleazy in the beginning...he specifically set out to meet and court Jessa because he saw her on TV and found her hot, as well as having grand ambitions in preaching. Remember, the dude would spend his days protesting and "preaching" in front of abortion clinics. He spent his first months of marriage posting tirades on instagram about how everyone but him and his were going to hell. He started out with sleazy ulterior motives, for sure.

Ah I see. 

Character wise I think Ben probably has the most Christian-heart, regarding thinking of others etc, but when you compare him to Derrick, Jeremy and Austin it’s not a high bar. I don’t know quite what to make of Austin yet- he seems nice enough, AND he has a skill which would allow him to support a family BUT I don’t know, something in his eyes doesn’t sit with me. Ben and Joe seem to be young men that would really cherish their wives, and be concerned for their well being, Austin seems like it would be his way or no way. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ah I see. 

Character wise I think Ben probably has the most Christian-heart, regarding thinking of others etc, but when you compare him to Derrick, Jeremy and Austin it’s not a high bar. I don’t know quite what to make of Austin yet- he seems nice enough, AND he has a skill which would allow him to support a family BUT I don’t know, something in his eyes doesn’t sit with me. Ben and Joe seem to be young men that would really cherish their wives, and be concerned for their well being, Austin seems like it would be his way or no way. 

In regards to Austin, that may be a good thing.  Someone in the family needs to be able to make a decision.  That doesn't seem to be one of Joy's strong suits.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ah I see. 

Character wise I think Ben probably has the most Christian-heart, regarding thinking of others etc, but when you compare him to Derrick, Jeremy and Austin it’s not a high bar. 

I agree with this.  Ben seems to be the one who would actually live out the idea of Jesus, Others, Yourself.  We’ve seen him actually make an effort to give back to the community without managing to make it all about Ben.  Was his football camp succsssful? Probably not.  But he used the skills and connections that he had to make the best of what he had to offer. 

Overall, he seems like the best catch to me. He’s young and has no skills but to me it seems like the worst thing he’s done is get sucked into Jim Bob’s vortex as a teenager with no way out.  

Knowing nothing about these people except for what they’ve shown us, I’ve always thought that Ben and Jinger would have been a better match.  They could have grown together naturally, rather than grown to be at the level of their respective spouses. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

More normal pictures! 

Ok, Jeremy HAD to post that Dr. James Boice was the favorite author but I can ignore that...

Ugh, that giant mouth full of rabbity teeth...cannot get on board with it.  Maybe Jeremeeeeeee would look cuter with long hair.  He’s much more put together and takes more pride in his appearance than sloppy Dreck or drippy Ben—I will give him that.

• Love 4