Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

I frequented the area when I lived in San Antonio. There's great food, music, and alcohol. Jeremy in that get-up would stand out. I can't imagine it being a place the Vuolo's would bring the Duggars to. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I think the difference in the Duggar and Bates childrens' education experience is that Kelly has a real college degree. Michelle didn't give a care in high school and certainly gave less of a care after she met JIM BOB, her savior in shining armor. Her objective was to be done with school and GET MARRIED. She didn't care to retain any of her high school knowledge. You can't teach children when you don't know the material yourself. Her objective was to become lazy and stay that way.

Hahahaha that reminds me of a girl I took dance with. She was lazy (she always watched class instead of danced, and made fun of us, but the teacher was friends with her parents so it was allowed), and she constantly stated that her goal in life was to find a rich guy so she'd never have to do anything. It was absolutely shocking, because at that age, everyone thinks they're going to be a doctor, lawyer, or famous actress. College bound teenage girls scoff at ever being SAHM's, even if they do end up doing it one day, and this girl didn't even want to be a SAHM; she wanted to do NOTHING. It was horrifying! Now, I'm happy to report that she has NOT found her rich guy! She's one of the three of us left from high school who is single (one girl is nice but lives in NYC, where it's hard to find somebody, and yours truly is the other). It gives me hope in this world that there is a certain level of unpleasantness that guys will actually avoid, because the girl is pretty, and I'm shocked she's alone, bad personality notwithstanding. 

I also agree that Bin is the best looking, as he looks nice in casual wear, but I don't think Jeremy would be quite as charming without being such a tryhard. I'm interested to see what Bin looks like at thirty, if fatherhood doesn't wear him out first!

Edited by Christina87
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

I also agree that Bin is the best looking, as he looks nice in casual wear, but I don't think Jeremy would be quite as charming without being such a tryhard. I'm interested to see what Bin looks like at thirty, if fatherhood doesn't wear him out first!

I think Ben is cute too. Cuter than Jeremy although he’s nice looking as well. Ben gets criticisms for being young- HE IS YOUNG. When is being young a bad thing?

Jeremy is attractive and dresses well but he is a “tryhard” like you said. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jeremy is attractive and dresses well but he is a “tryhard” like you said. 

Yes, he's a "tryhard", which is annoying, but I'll still give him more credit for trying too hard than for being a dirty slob like Josh and Derick.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Yeah, right, that'll happen! Just imagine any of the Duggars doing something without getting paid for it. Over on the Duggars' Facebook page, the leghumpers hate TLC and wish that the Duggars would move their show over to a more "Godly" network, where they won't be confronted by "trashy" shows like "I Am Jazz" and where their beloved Josh and Derick will be welcomed back on the air. What the leghumpers fail to grasp is that Jim Bob will never willingly leave TLC for a third tier network like UPTV, where the ratings, the paychecks and the perks like free travel will decrease. For Jim Bob, it's all about the Benjamins (and I don't mean the son-in-law).

Does anyone know if the typical contracts for faux reality shows like the Duggars' have non-compete clauses? If TLC cuts the Duggars loose can the producers take the show (under whatever name) to a different network? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Does anyone know if the typical contracts for faux reality shows like the Duggars' have non-compete clauses? If TLC cuts the Duggars loose can the producers take the show (under whatever name) to a different network? 

Dunno. But thinking of what's happened previously... did the Bateses go from TLC (United Bates of America) to wherever the heck they are now? ...Not that the same contracts would be in place for everyone, but...

• Like 3

IIRC, Chip and Joanna Gains left HGTV and started their own network “in conjunction with” the Discovery Channel. Which seems like it was already a network, so I guess it’s a network network. Or something.

I think once a contract is over, it’s over. But I also don’t believe for a hot minute that any of the Duggars has enough initiative, management skills or ability to learn what they don’t know to make their own “network network” successful.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

The Bates family once had a reality show on TLC.  It was called United Bates of America and ran for only eight episodes from August 13, 2012 – September 3, 2012.  In October 2014, the Bates announced their new show on the Up Network.  Bring Up Bates first aired on January 1, 2015. If this is any clue, a non-compete clause might last for two years while TLC finishes airing a show overseas and in reruns.  

• Like 8

Putting on my “not even close to a lawyer” hat, it would seem to me that when they would have been negotiating for “Counting On” they would have been in a piss poor negotiating position, given the Josh Debacle and the original show being cancelled. Unless it’s standard boilerplate, I can’t see TLC giving enough of a damn to pay them for any kind of noncompete.

I’m sure it’s possible JB would give that away under the circumstances, though.

• Like 3

They wouldn't be paid to have a noncompete clause in the contract.  It's usually part of the boilerplate.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 9

On 1/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, bythelake said:

Bin and Jeremy may be better looking (which personally I don’t  see) but the Bates sons and sons-in law bring much more to the table than good looks.

The post wasn't about what the Bates sons in-law brought to the table, but rather about their looks.  In my opinion, none of them is as handsome as Jeremy and Bin.  End of story.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Like 6

Jinger holding Felicity in the air near water, saying "God entrusted" her, reminds me of the Hoveround commercials at the Grand Canyon.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Spencer Hastings said:

As a Christian I don’t typically have a problem with religious statements. I count my blessings every day to myself. I DO however, have a problem with the message that she is highly favored or more trusted by God because He gave her a child. What about those who can’t have children due to medical issues?  Does God not trust them? What about women like Jana who did everything they were supposed to do, waiting until they found the right guy to have a child, but simply haven’t had the opportunity yet?  Since God has not sent a man for her to reproduce with, does that mean He doesn’t trust her to be a mother? I get what she’s trying to do but it’s very problematic for those who haven’t been blessed with children. 

I completely agree with you. This one wasn't AS bad (but I hate the God is kind Part that she always says, because that does give the idea that god's kind to her because she's more worthy), but sooooo many of her posts have given the impression that she thinks she is more worthy that someone without a child. She also loves to say things like, "motherhood isn't to be despised," like every other woman in the world at her level, who is good enough to be given a child, aborts it. Jill, Jessa, and joy have never really posted anything that gave me the idea that they thought they were more special than anyone else for having a child, possibly because most of their siblings were still single when they did. How would Jessa justify God being "so kind" to her, but not single BFF Jinger, for example. I see Jinger trying to make more influential statements in her baby posts than anyone else. Sure, lots of people say they're thankful for their blessings, but IMO Jinger doesn't do it in a humble way, and comes across preachy. I am, however, willing to cut her a little slack, because it would be easy to forget how to be humble if you're around Baaaabe 24/7. As someone older than her who wants kids, it grinds my gears, because I could have married plenty of guys I dated for a month or so...but I was smart enough not to do that, so God is not blessing me with a baby anytime soon. If she wanted to date Jeremy for two seconds, get married, have Felicity, and not be so uppity about it, I'd be like, "you do you." But she totally acts like she is judging the rest of us with her baby posts, and she is RIGHT goddamit, because she had a proper courtship and did everything the godly way. I almost wonder if having Felicity has made her more strident in her beliefs, like feeling outraged at people who have abortions, and the fact that she has a special blessing making it seem like she's God's extra special teacher's pet.

Edited by Christina87
  • Like 22

3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

All of Jinger's posts about Felicity read as ads to motherhood. Does she really think she's talking millions of women out of abortion with her messages?

or maybe she's overcompensating for not seeming like she really wanted to be a mom just a couple years ago. 

Glad God is kind to her! Too bad all of us who want babies can't have some of that kindness!

Seems to me that whole "God is so good to us" thing is sort of a Duggar tradition, isn't it? I can never completely make up my mind about whether they're just saying something nice and thankful about God kind of mindlessly or whether they're bragging.....

I guess I assume that JB and M are bragging. ("We're special! Like, on the universal level! So deal with it, people-who-God-doesn't-love-the-way-he-loves-us!")

But I figure that the kids may just be -- as they are so often -- parroting without any particular intention.... Because they're, you know, primarily parrots and probably not that bright and certainly not thoughtful or mindful.....Or not, of course. They may have picked up not just the language but the bragg-y intention of their crappy parents. I can't decide, though. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I completely agree with you. This one wasn't AS bad (but I hate the God is kind Part that she always says, because that does give the idea that god's kind to her because she's more worthy), but sooooo many of her posts have given the impression that she thinks she is more worthy that someone without a child. She also loves to say things like, "motherhood isn't to be despised," like every other woman in the world at her level, who is good enough to be given a child, aborts it. Jill, Jessa, and joy have never really posted anything that gave me the idea that they thought they were more special than anyone else for having a child, possibly because most of their siblings were still single when they did. How would Jessa justify God being "so kind" to her, but not single BFF Jinger, for example. I see Jinger trying to make more influential statements in her baby posts than anyone else. Sure, lots of people say they're thankful for their blessings, but IMO Jinger doesn't do it in a humble way, and comes across preachy. I am, however, willing to cut her a little slack, because it would be easy to forget how to be humble if you're around Baaaabe 24/7. As someone older than her who wants kids, it grinds my gears, because I could have married plenty of guys I dated for a month or so...but I was smart enough not to do that, so God is not blessing me with a baby anytime soon. If she wanted to date Jeremy for two seconds, get married, have Felicity, and not be so uppity about it, I'd be like, "you do you." But she totally acts like she is judging the rest of us with her baby posts, and she is RIGHT goddamit, because she had a proper courtship and did everything the godly way. I almost wonder if having Felicity has made her more strident in her beliefs, like feeling outraged at people who have abortions, and the fact that she has a special blessing making it seem like she's God's extra special teacher's pet.

I agree with you. I may be misinterpreting, but this is the vibe I get from all of them. Heathens with their birth control and their abortions aren't "trusting God" the way the Duggars do, and they aren't as grateful and appreciative of God's goodness as the Duggars. There are many things that I dislike about the Duggars, but the smugness underlying their vile religious beliefs is probably the thing I dislike most.

• Like 21

51 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree with you. I may be misinterpreting, but this is the vibe I get from all of them. Heathens with their birth control and their abortions aren't "trusting God" the way the Duggars do, and they aren't as grateful and appreciative of God's goodness as the Duggars. There are many things that I dislike about the Duggars, but the smugness underlying their vile religious beliefs is probably the thing I dislike most.

Exactly!!! And anyone can look around and come to the quick conclusion that life isn't fair. How do they explain that? How do they explain that God let people die in the holocaust, yet Jinger is extra special to have a pretentious husband, baby, and teevee show? I'm a Christian as well, and it's hard to explain those things, but I also don't believe that God has a meritocracy. I feel their beliefs are so vile that they kick people when they're down. Poor jana must not be as godly, because she doesn't have a husband and baby. Jill must not be either, since she only has two children after nearly five years of marriage. Cathy must have been bad to get cancer, but prayed it away, unlike the others that died. It's completely ridiculous! It's hard to answer why bad people get everything sometimes, while good people don't, but it was that way a lot of times in the Bible too. Bad kings ruled, and I mean...something bad happened to Jesus! Was Jesus not as godly as Jinger and Jeremy? That's what bugs me so much about their "God is a meritocracy" belief system. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Like 16

On 1/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, allonsyalice said:

I do not like this word, but he looks like.....a giant douche. He's the type of guy who ignores you all day and texts "u up?" at 2:30 in the morning. He's the type of guy who does all the typical dating things with you but still calls you his "friend." He's the type of guy who says "my father will hear about this!" when he sees something he doesn't like. He's the type of guy who still brags about his high school sports team winning the championships. He's the type of guy who wears a suit on campus all the time. 

He’s the type of guy who has sex with you to fill the void until his wedding day with the virgin bride. 

• Like 20

Actually, my reading of the tweet is a bit different. I don't read it as Jinger somehow saying that she somehow earned Felicity through her acts or lifestyle.   To me, the "God is kind" statement is an acknowledgment that Jinger views her as a gift from God.  God's grace is a huge component of Christianity.   We are all sinners.   God gives us blessings not because we earned them, but because He loves us.    

• Like 19

So, I've been thinking...

I believe that Jinger is on track to become the smuggest, most proselytizing Duggar daughter. When it was 19K&C, and everyone was single, I thought that title would go to either Jill or Jessa. Not so much now. If you compare the most recent Instagram posts, Jinger is invoking God's name more than anyone else, with Jana probably second. Not to mention that there seem to be emerging differentials in SES, even aside from the show. Jinger/Jeremy appear to be at a higher SES level than Jill, Jessa, or Joy, and that may be reinforcing their belief that God favors them.

• Like 19

You know the more that Jinger sniffs up God’s butt for allowing her to be a mom, the more I think J&J just aren’t as fertile as the others.  She would never admit that she struggled with conception because it would hurt the Duggar image but I feel like she’s starting to straddle that line.

Edited by Saylii
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Totally said:

It’s easy to be thankful when you have an ‘easy’ baby. I wonder if they had been blessed with more challenging baby, she would feel quite as thankful. 

One of my children has special needs, and although I wouldn’t change a thing, it’s hard, and there are days when I wonder how I can continue. And things haven’t improved with age like I was told they would 😒

Oh, I'm just waiting for the day one of this bunch has a child with severe special needs (which are not easily hidden or filmed around). Lets see how blessed they are then. It's bound to happen given their fecundity.

I hope your situation improves. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 15

11 hours ago, Saylii said:

You know the more that Jinger sniffs up God’s butt for allowing her to be a mom, the more I think J&J just aren’t as fertile as the others.  She would never admit that she struggled with conception because it would hurt the Duggar image but I feel like she’s starting to straddle that line.

Either that or she would like to imply that it took her a while to conceive in hopes of mitigating rumors of birth control.

• Like 8

I think in Jinger's IG posts, she's often parroting things she's been brought up hearing all the time. I can't tell if she is really trying to rub our noses in her belief that she's extra-special because she worships the right Jesus and the rest of us are going to hell. Of course that's what they believe, although she may have a kinder outlook when it comes to actually talking to someone about it. She's just happy with her baby, that we do know.

I've also read, I think here on the Counting On forum, that the "not despising motherhood" language is some kind of fundie/evangelical thing. As in, anyone who isn't anti-abortion, anti-birth-control, and totally opposed to letting a woman make those decisions herself, is a baby-killing, baby-hating, monster who despises motherhood and all things related thereto. And who probably has an abortion every Monday morning after a weekend of wild abandoned sex with multiple strangers. I don't know if Jinger's one of them, but sadly there are plenty of sheltered and indoctrinated fundies who believe that stuff, or some approximation, is literally true. I used to take that with a grain of salt until I started reading online essays and even a book or two, by people who were raised in that quiverfull/Gothard/Vision Forum/fundie separatist world and have since left it. Very intelligent people who were shocked, for example, to find that if they sent their children to public school, there were *not* people constantly skulking around the schoolyard to pounce on the kids and turn them on to drugs or devil worship. Because they'd been brought up believing that was actually the case in all public schools. 

Anyway, Jinger probably spouts that "not despising motherhood" thing almost automatically by now. That way even a casual reader who's also fundie/pro-life/etc. will recognize one of their own.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 17

20 hours ago, TVFAN said:

Actually, my reading of the tweet is a bit different. I don't read it as Jinger somehow saying that she somehow earned Felicity through her acts or lifestyle.   To me, the "God is kind" statement is an acknowledgment that Jinger views her as a gift from God.  God's grace is a huge component of Christianity.   We are all sinners.   God gives us blessings not because we earned them, but because He loves us.    

17 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Why can't it just be that she thanks God for Felicity and loves her baby?  I don't get any smugness or preachiness from Jinger's post.  I don't get any sense that she feels somehow superior or more deserving than anyone else.  I just see a young mom who seems to have a cute, esy-going baby and who is thrilled about the whole thing.  Why shouldn't she give thanks to God for what she sees as a blessing?  I thank God for things all the time, and I'm exactly the opposite of deserving most of the time.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the good things that come my way.  I've had my share of bad things, too, like two miscarriages and a son who died at 16 days old from multiple congenital anomalies.  I didn't feel like God was punishing me or that I was less than blessed.  When my daughter came along two years later, perfect in every way, I felt blessed and grateful. A healthy son four years later sealed the deal, and I stopped trying to have the family I'd dreamed about and was thrilled with the family I got. I know that's not logical, but faith isn't logical, that's why it's faith.

this is exactly how i read her posts.  she may have had trouble conceiving...not everyone gets pregnant the first time they do the deed. my daughter in law wanted a baby so very bad. she had endometriosis, 4th stage. her odds of conceiving without assistance was zero.  it is completely reasonable that jinger may have had similar issues and is so grateful for the baby she finally had. its also reasonable that she may have used birth control and was ever so happy to finally get to have a baby. you ladies summed up my position perfectly. i truly do not think she is being disrespectful or preachy at all. i think she is just a very happy mom.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I think in Jinger's IG posts, she's oftenparroting things she's been brought up hearing all the time. I can't tell if she really thinks she's extra-special because she worships the right Jesus and the rest of us are going to hell. Of course that's what they believe, although she may have a kinder outlook when it comes to actually talking to someone about it. She's just happy with her baby, that we do know.

I've also read, I think here on the Counting On forum, that the "not despising motherhood" language is some kind of fundie/evangelical thing. As in, anyone who isn't anti-abortion, anti-birth-control, and totally opposed to letting a woman make those decisions herself, is a baby-killing, baby-hating, monster who despises motherhood and all things related thereto. And who probably has an abortion every Monday morning after a weekend of wild abandoned sex with multiple strangers. I don't know if Jinger's one of them, but sadly there are plenty of sheltered and indoctrinated fundies who believe that stuff, or some approximation, is literally true. I used to take that with a grain of salt until I started reading online essays and even a book or two, by people who were raised in that quiverfull/Gothard/Vision Forum/fundie separatist world and have since left it. Very intelligent people who were shocked, for example, to find that if they sent their children to public school, there were *not* people constantly skulking around the schoolyard to pounce on the kids and turn them on to drugs or devil worship. Because they'd been brought up believing that was actually the case in all public schools. 

Anyway, Jinger probably spouts that "not despising motherhood" thing almost automatically by now. That way even a casual reader who's also fundie/pro-life/etc. will recognize one of their own.

Yup...and that's the thing, really. I have no idea whether or not Jinger's mind would even go in a direction which she hadn't been indoctrinated into complete with all the catch-phrases of the moment. I'm sure that she honestly loves Felicity, and is constantly amazed at this little person she and Jeremy created. and, of course she thanks god - she has been raised from birth to thank and/or trust god for everything in her life, both good and bad, and Felicity probably IS the most amazing "gift" she has ever received. I'm not casting any shade on her for that. 

Plus, I'm pretty sure that anything she posts is edited, if not sometimes written outright by Jeremy, so those newer (?) catch-phrases such as "despising motherhood" are surely more apt to pop up more often than if she was strictly using all her own words.

It makes me think of some Fundie friends (well, acquaintances, really) from a few years ago. They are actually very normal-seeming in conversation most of the time, but their Facebook shares can be pretty bizarre and conspiracy-theory laden. Rabid anti-vaxxers, their posts of a few years ago were full of how the government wants us all to vaccinate our kids as yet another (in addition to the rampant epidemics of abortion, of course) of the myriad ways they aim for us to kill off our children. The other day I had shared what I thought was an amusing meme on Facebook which said something along the lines of how someone should produce a reality show where a bunch of flat-earthers get to compete to see who can find the edge of the world first. That earned me a "crying face" emoji from them. I was afraid to ask what prompted that.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yup...and that's the thing, really. I have no idea whether or not Jinger's mind would even go in a direction which she hadn't been indoctrinated into complete with all the catch-phrases of the moment. I'm sure that she honestly loves Felicity, and is constantly amazed at this little person she and Jeremy created. and, of course she thanks god - she has been raised from birth to thank and/or trust god for everything in her life, both good and bad, and Felicity probably IS the most amazing "gift" she has ever received. I'm not casting any shade on her for that. 

You have hit the nail right on the head.  The story of David tells us this, it and similar texts are preached upon in thousands of sermons:

Psalm 34:1 King James Version (KJV)

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Ephesians 5:20
always giving thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

I feel pretty sure these are just a fraction, and we see the Duggars and Duggar-adjacent saying things that reflect they know and believe in this same vein like the back of their hand, all the time.  Not turning people's thoughts to God whenever you get the chance is, in fact, seen as a sin.  We're lucky when they talk about anything else.

• Like 4

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they couldn't raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

Edited by BitterApple · Reason: Misquoted
  • Like 10

I think she is shocked that the baby is 6 months old and she's still interested in her. Her "role model" was on to the next pregnancy by this point and passed the baby off to one of the slaves. She's surprised that she's still feeling motherly love for the baby. She didn't know it was possible.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, GeeGolly said:

Jinger holding Felicity in the air near water, saying "God entrusted" her, reminds me of the Hoveround commercials at the Grand Canyon.

Or Michael Jackson dangling Blanket from a balcony.

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they don't want to raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

If not for the trauma it would cause the children, what a delight it would be for these babies to start arriving on the Paine's doorstep.  Here you go, Erin!  Aren't babies such a blessing!

• Like 14

Jinger has an Instastory about organizing things in her home (cupboard, clothes), and it shows how much headbands Felicity has. 

I can't put screenshots...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they couldn't raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

If Jinger was the one who said that, people would be calling for her head.  Wonder why Erin gets a pass.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

If Jinger was the one who said that, people would be calling for her head.  Wonder why Erin gets a pass.

She likely didn't because she turned off the comments for that particular post.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I don't think she got a pass. Just checked out the post and she disabled the comments. Jinger's post with Felicity was definitely a pro-birth message, it sounds very similar to Erin's. 

Erin is a ditz, her parents had more kids than they could afford to raise. They didn't start living the good life until TV money came along, or else Lawson would still be supporting all of them. I wonder what she would do if people started offering her babies. She already has 3 kids crammed into a tiny room.

Not take them? 

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not take them? 

Yup,  it's all talk. If she started getting offers from pregnant teens she would turn them down, no way would her husband accept that. He's already working his ass off for her.

• Like 17