Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I think in Jinger's IG posts, she's often parroting things she's been brought up hearing all the time. I can't tell if she is really trying to rub our noses in her belief that she's extra-special because she worships the right Jesus and the rest of us are going to hell. Of course that's what they believe, although she may have a kinder outlook when it comes to actually talking to someone about it. She's just happy with her baby, that we do know.

I've also read, I think here on the Counting On forum, that the "not despising motherhood" language is some kind of fundie/evangelical thing. As in, anyone who isn't anti-abortion, anti-birth-control, and totally opposed to letting a woman make those decisions herself, is a baby-killing, baby-hating, monster who despises motherhood and all things related thereto. And who probably has an abortion every Monday morning after a weekend of wild abandoned sex with multiple strangers. I don't know if Jinger's one of them, but sadly there are plenty of sheltered and indoctrinated fundies who believe that stuff, or some approximation, is literally true. I used to take that with a grain of salt until I started reading online essays and even a book or two, by people who were raised in that quiverfull/Gothard/Vision Forum/fundie separatist world and have since left it. Very intelligent people who were shocked, for example, to find that if they sent their children to public school, there were *not* people constantly skulking around the schoolyard to pounce on the kids and turn them on to drugs or devil worship. Because they'd been brought up believing that was actually the case in all public schools. 

Anyway, Jinger probably spouts that "not despising motherhood" thing almost automatically by now. That way even a casual reader who's also fundie/pro-life/etc. will recognize one of their own.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 17
20 hours ago, TVFAN said:

Actually, my reading of the tweet is a bit different. I don't read it as Jinger somehow saying that she somehow earned Felicity through her acts or lifestyle.   To me, the "God is kind" statement is an acknowledgment that Jinger views her as a gift from God.  God's grace is a huge component of Christianity.   We are all sinners.   God gives us blessings not because we earned them, but because He loves us.    

17 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Why can't it just be that she thanks God for Felicity and loves her baby?  I don't get any smugness or preachiness from Jinger's post.  I don't get any sense that she feels somehow superior or more deserving than anyone else.  I just see a young mom who seems to have a cute, esy-going baby and who is thrilled about the whole thing.  Why shouldn't she give thanks to God for what she sees as a blessing?  I thank God for things all the time, and I'm exactly the opposite of deserving most of the time.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the good things that come my way.  I've had my share of bad things, too, like two miscarriages and a son who died at 16 days old from multiple congenital anomalies.  I didn't feel like God was punishing me or that I was less than blessed.  When my daughter came along two years later, perfect in every way, I felt blessed and grateful. A healthy son four years later sealed the deal, and I stopped trying to have the family I'd dreamed about and was thrilled with the family I got. I know that's not logical, but faith isn't logical, that's why it's faith.

this is exactly how i read her posts.  she may have had trouble conceiving...not everyone gets pregnant the first time they do the deed. my daughter in law wanted a baby so very bad. she had endometriosis, 4th stage. her odds of conceiving without assistance was zero.  it is completely reasonable that jinger may have had similar issues and is so grateful for the baby she finally had. its also reasonable that she may have used birth control and was ever so happy to finally get to have a baby. you ladies summed up my position perfectly. i truly do not think she is being disrespectful or preachy at all. i think she is just a very happy mom.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I think in Jinger's IG posts, she's oftenparroting things she's been brought up hearing all the time. I can't tell if she really thinks she's extra-special because she worships the right Jesus and the rest of us are going to hell. Of course that's what they believe, although she may have a kinder outlook when it comes to actually talking to someone about it. She's just happy with her baby, that we do know.

I've also read, I think here on the Counting On forum, that the "not despising motherhood" language is some kind of fundie/evangelical thing. As in, anyone who isn't anti-abortion, anti-birth-control, and totally opposed to letting a woman make those decisions herself, is a baby-killing, baby-hating, monster who despises motherhood and all things related thereto. And who probably has an abortion every Monday morning after a weekend of wild abandoned sex with multiple strangers. I don't know if Jinger's one of them, but sadly there are plenty of sheltered and indoctrinated fundies who believe that stuff, or some approximation, is literally true. I used to take that with a grain of salt until I started reading online essays and even a book or two, by people who were raised in that quiverfull/Gothard/Vision Forum/fundie separatist world and have since left it. Very intelligent people who were shocked, for example, to find that if they sent their children to public school, there were *not* people constantly skulking around the schoolyard to pounce on the kids and turn them on to drugs or devil worship. Because they'd been brought up believing that was actually the case in all public schools. 

Anyway, Jinger probably spouts that "not despising motherhood" thing almost automatically by now. That way even a casual reader who's also fundie/pro-life/etc. will recognize one of their own.

Yup...and that's the thing, really. I have no idea whether or not Jinger's mind would even go in a direction which she hadn't been indoctrinated into complete with all the catch-phrases of the moment. I'm sure that she honestly loves Felicity, and is constantly amazed at this little person she and Jeremy created. and, of course she thanks god - she has been raised from birth to thank and/or trust god for everything in her life, both good and bad, and Felicity probably IS the most amazing "gift" she has ever received. I'm not casting any shade on her for that. 

Plus, I'm pretty sure that anything she posts is edited, if not sometimes written outright by Jeremy, so those newer (?) catch-phrases such as "despising motherhood" are surely more apt to pop up more often than if she was strictly using all her own words.

It makes me think of some Fundie friends (well, acquaintances, really) from a few years ago. They are actually very normal-seeming in conversation most of the time, but their Facebook shares can be pretty bizarre and conspiracy-theory laden. Rabid anti-vaxxers, their posts of a few years ago were full of how the government wants us all to vaccinate our kids as yet another (in addition to the rampant epidemics of abortion, of course) of the myriad ways they aim for us to kill off our children. The other day I had shared what I thought was an amusing meme on Facebook which said something along the lines of how someone should produce a reality show where a bunch of flat-earthers get to compete to see who can find the edge of the world first. That earned me a "crying face" emoji from them. I was afraid to ask what prompted that.

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yup...and that's the thing, really. I have no idea whether or not Jinger's mind would even go in a direction which she hadn't been indoctrinated into complete with all the catch-phrases of the moment. I'm sure that she honestly loves Felicity, and is constantly amazed at this little person she and Jeremy created. and, of course she thanks god - she has been raised from birth to thank and/or trust god for everything in her life, both good and bad, and Felicity probably IS the most amazing "gift" she has ever received. I'm not casting any shade on her for that. 

You have hit the nail right on the head.  The story of David tells us this, it and similar texts are preached upon in thousands of sermons:

Psalm 34:1 King James Version (KJV)

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Ephesians 5:20
always giving thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

I feel pretty sure these are just a fraction, and we see the Duggars and Duggar-adjacent saying things that reflect they know and believe in this same vein like the back of their hand, all the time.  Not turning people's thoughts to God whenever you get the chance is, in fact, seen as a sin.  We're lucky when they talk about anything else.

• Love 4

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they couldn't raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

Edited by BitterApple
Misquoted
  • Love 10

I think she is shocked that the baby is 6 months old and she's still interested in her. Her "role model" was on to the next pregnancy by this point and passed the baby off to one of the slaves. She's surprised that she's still feeling motherly love for the baby. She didn't know it was possible.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, GeeGolly said:

Jinger holding Felicity in the air near water, saying "God entrusted" her, reminds me of the Hoveround commercials at the Grand Canyon.

Or Michael Jackson dangling Blanket from a balcony.

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they don't want to raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

If not for the trauma it would cause the children, what a delight it would be for these babies to start arriving on the Paine's doorstep.  Here you go, Erin!  Aren't babies such a blessing!

• Love 14
18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if Jinger's post has anything to do with the law they passed in New York recently. Erin Bates made a (misinformed) mention about it under a picture of the cherubic Everly, lamenting how she wishes women would give her all the babies "they couldn't raise." Could be coincidence, but the timing is interesting.

If Jinger was the one who said that, people would be calling for her head.  Wonder why Erin gets a pass.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I don't think she got a pass. Just checked out the post and she disabled the comments. Jinger's post with Felicity was definitely a pro-birth message, it sounds very similar to Erin's. 

Erin is a ditz, her parents had more kids than they could afford to raise. They didn't start living the good life until TV money came along, or else Lawson would still be supporting all of them. I wonder what she would do if people started offering her babies. She already has 3 kids crammed into a tiny room.

Not take them? 

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not take them? 

Yup,  it's all talk. If she started getting offers from pregnant teens she would turn them down, no way would her husband accept that. He's already working his ass off for her.

• Love 17

Talk about arrested development, Erin originally decorated her and Chad's bedroom in what might be called a 7 year old girly-girl dream bedroom. Her statement sounds like something a 13 year old might say. Or a sheltered super Fundy.

• Love 18

A statement like that by Erin can be taken about as seriously as Jessa blathering about adopting children, yet jutting out her 3-time pregnant belly for yet another smug selfie.  

I don't believe every couple from this show is blowing every dime they make in compensation from TLC, and are all teetering on the edge of homelessness, welfare or begging in the streets.   And of course, they get subsidized by Duggar, Inc.  But a few moderate investments, and the money won't necessarily run out at all.   Jinger & Jeremy bought a house, so they've started in a normal way.  Keeping Felicity in headbands isn't going to break them. 

Buying property and businesses like Michelle & Jim Bob have is pretty savvy.  They are loathsome and ignorant, but I think they are far from stupid financially.  They've shown their kids what can be accomplished.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Jinger has an Instastory about organizing things in her home (cupboard, clothes), and it shows how much headbands Felicity has. 

I can't put screenshots...

I actually think the clothes pin thing is a great (cheap) idea. I might have to make something like this for the eleventy-billion baseball caps my husband has.

rps20190129_180931.jpg

• Love 16

that is a GREAT idea! i live in a tiny apartment and need stuff like this for my winter gear! 

13 assorted hats and headbands seems like so little since felicity is constantly wearing them (i guess it's like Audrey Hepburn owning one skirt, one blouse, one pair of shoes and FIFTEEN scarves!)  

• Love 18

Jinger jumped on the home-organizing bandwagon, I see. If anyone has any doubt about the meaning of "basic," look no further. 

2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That's actually a really cute idea. 

Jana's going to lose her shit if Jinger turns out to have a talent for DIY and crafts. That was her only ace in the hole.

Well, they all recycle ideas from the same sources. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Jinger jumped on the home-organizing bandwagon, I see. If anyone has any doubt about the meaning of "basic," look no further. 

Well, they all recycle ideas from the same sources. 

The Konmari Method is the rage among YouTubers and "influencers" these days. It wouldn't surprise me if Jingle's jumping on the bandwagon.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

The Konmari Method is the rage among YouTubers and "influencers" these days. It wouldn't surprise me if Jingle's jumping on the bandwagon.

Has she mentioned Konmari at all? I ask because a lot of Kondo's philosophy and methods come directly from Shinto, and I'm amused at the idea of someone telling Jinger this and her scrambling to deny that she's been at all inspired by a religion that she and her family would disapprove.

• Love 22
41 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Has she mentioned Konmari at all? I ask because a lot of Kondo's philosophy and methods come directly from Shinto, and I'm amused at the idea of someone telling Jinger this and her scrambling to deny that she's been at all inspired by a religion that she and her family would disapprove.

I can't see any if JB's spawn thanking an item before tossing it.   Not to mention none of the girls have lived outside the home long enough to accumulate stuff.  They grew up with a communal closet how much could Jinger have brought to Texas?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I found out about Konmari years ago from my daughter. She used it to downsize from a two story house to a three bedroom/two bath sailing catamaran her family moved onto.Some of it is kind of silly (thanking the stuff you're giving away) but it really helped her to downsize and organize.

Doesn't JB have all kinds of crap stored everywhere? Maybe Jinger didn't want to be like that.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I found out about Konmari years ago from my daughter. She used it to downsize from a two story house to a three bedroom/two bath sailing catamaran her family moved onto.Some of it is kind of silly (thanking the stuff you're giving away) but it really helped her to downsize and organize.

Doesn't JB have all kinds of crap stored everywhere? Maybe Jinger didn't want to be like that.

I really don't think she (or any youtuber/'influencer") give this kind of thing that much thought. She just sees that something is in style on social media and copies it so she can post about it. So if she has mentioned Konmari, it's not because she read the book (as if) or watched the show, it's because that what everyone is talking about and she got some of the basics from sm and is running with it. That's why I like the idea of people telling her that she's copying something from someone with what she would consider pagan/heathen beliefs. She'd freak out about it.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

that is a GREAT idea! i live in a tiny apartment and need stuff like this for my winter gear! 

13 assorted hats and headbands seems like so little since felicity is constantly wearing them (i guess it's like Audrey Hepburn owning one skirt, one blouse, one pair of shoes and FIFTEEN scarves!)  

I think that she has hung up 13 headbands because that's how many clothespins she has, not because that's how many headbands she has. I would imagine that Felicity has 2x or 3x that many headbands.

• Love 17

Jinger never mentioned Konmari, did she? She just organized some headbands in a cutesy DYI way. The nursery teachers at daycare had a similar set up for the kids daily reports. Jinger didn't even say anything about getting rid of stuff. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

Jinger never mentioned Konmari, did she? She just organized some headbands in a cutesy DYI way. The nursery teachers at daycare had a similar set up for the kids daily reports. Jinger didn't even say anything about getting rid of stuff. 

She did mention Konmari though - referenced it in this particular instagram story. And it was more than the headbands; she folded and stacked Felicity’s clothes and boxed and labeled outgrown clothes, etc. Sierra recently did several Instagram stories about her “adventures” with Konmari - maybe that’s where Jinger learned of it.

• Love 9

I don’t think one has to be an influencer or anybody special to pick and choose parts of Marie Kondo’s approach and I’m guessing Jinger didn’t either. I watched the shows, found some other videos on You Tube and refolded everything in my dresser and Mr lookeyloo’s closet. I also reorganized my closet. No thanking and no thought to Shintoism. Just folding. By the way it doesn’t take long and everything is visible and takes up way less room which is perplexing to me. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I don’t think one has to be an influencer or anybody special to pick and choose parts of Marie Kondo’s approach and I’m guessing Jinger didn’t either. I watched the shows, found some other videos on You Tube and refolded everything in my dresser and Mr lookeyloo’s closet. I also reorganized my closet. No thanking and no thought to Shintoism. Just folding. By the way it doesn’t take long and everything is visible and takes up way less room which is perplexing to me. 

That folding technique is amazing and I sure as hell am not thanking inanimate objects, but fundies are not known for being relaxed about choosing from belief systems that run counter to their own. They won't even mention yoga, something that has become so mainstream in the US that it's practically completely divorced from Hinduism. If Jinger knew about Shintoism and how some of it's practices amount to idolatry in her interpretation of Christianity, she would have never mentioned Konmari and just pretended that she was just doing some run-of-the-mill organizing without any inspiration.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

She did mention Konmari though - referenced it in this particular instagram story. And it was more than the headbands; she folded and stacked Felicity’s clothes and boxed and labeled outgrown clothes, etc. Sierra recently did several Instagram stories about her “adventures” with Konmari - maybe that’s where Jinger learned of it.

Ah, ok. I'm not on IG and I thought the picture above was the whole story. Is boxing and labeling outgrown clothes really seen as part of this "movement". I've been doing that for ages and only recently heard of Konmari through other people talking about the Netflix show. How else do you keep track of clothes you are saving for hand-me-downs? 

Jimger, Jana, and Lauren all come across on SM as being organized and on-trend. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Ref: Jinger's post about how blessed she is to have Felicity, etc. 

I'm sure she does adore Felicity and does feel blessed to have her.  I feel beyond lucky to have my kids - I'm not religious, so I'd say lucky rather than blessed.  I mean it as I'm lucky to have my kids as my kids, because I'm so in love with (99% of) their little personalities, etc, not because I feel like it means I got lucky because I had kids and some people don't have kids. I also felt lucky in different ways when I didn't have kids yet (more extra income, more free time, more traveling, etc). It's not to mean I'm favored or anything because I have kids, I guess.  I feel lucky to have my little stinkers as my kids because I do adore them, even though they're a ton of work and require a lot of sacrifice and truthfully, make life harder in so many ways. Felicity is at that stage where she's showing personality and more than a potato....this is the stage where you really get to know your baby as a person more and more....I think that may be what Jinger is kind of trying to express (poorly, because Fundie speak).

I also always think whenever moms go on & on in social media posts about how awesome being a mom is....that it's often not their followers they're trying to convince, but themselves.  Society tells women they should love being moms.  Society tells women they should adore their babies more than anything.  Society tells women that being a mom (especially to a baby) is so awesome all of the time and such a blessing- no one complains because it's so awesome! It's really not acceptable in society to complain about parenthood until maybe your kid is a teenager. Something is wrong with you if you complain or mention that it isn't all rainbows and butterflies 24/7 when you have a small child/baby. Jinger was raised with this narrative about motherhood times a million thanks to Gothard/Fundamentalism/etc.  She has to feel that "perfect mom who loves being a mom because it's 24/7 the best thing ever!" pressure even more than the rest of us in society do.  I really feel for her and other women in Fundamentalism for that, because the pressure is immense and suffocating even for those of us in secular soceity.

So...I just keep that in mind whenever I see moms posting a lot about how much they love being moms and how "blessed" they are by their kids.  I know (as all parents do) that being a parent is f***ing tough.  These moms may not be "bragging" or trying to sell you on motherhood as much as they're trying to sell themselves the idea that they, too, are "normal" women who of course love being a mom all of the time.  

It's especially tough to be a parent if you don't have sisters and grandparents (or daughters who can sister-mom) around all of the time to pass you babies off on (and Jinger, unlike many of the other Duggar kids who have babies and live in Arkansas, doesn't have this). Most of the time she (and Jeremy) are parenting alone (yes, they don't really work and all....but this is still way more active parenting and "work" than Jinger ever saw Michelle do with her babies). My guess is Jinger has figured out like all of us first time parents that being a parent is hard as f*** and she may be talking to herself in these posts (in the "Fundie speak" language she's fluent in) as much as she's talking to others.  I don't think she means any offense necessarily to those who don't or can't have kids as much as she may just be convincng herself of how awesome her own life choices are.  How dare one complain about such a kind blessing from God and all, right?  She may, at times, need to convince herself of that, since complaining about motherhood is taboo. 

A wise therapist once told me that when people seem to be making things about you not being where they are in life, that's actually really about them and their struggle with where they are in life. I read all these "motherhood is amazing and I have no complaints because I am so blessed!" etc posts (from Jinger and from basically every mom I'm friends with on social media who does this) that way....because as a mom, I know better. I see you, moms.  I know it ain't all perfect and I know you're talking to yourselves a lot of the time. ;) 

I think Jinger is truly in love with and in awe of Felicity, like a lot of new moms are (especially first-time moms), which doesn't also negate that she is probably trying to convince herself it's the best thing ever when it's also the hardest damn thing ever.   I hope maybe she sees that if she doesn't have eleventy blessings, she can know and spend time with Felicity and any (small number) of subsequent children and get to enjoy them more than she could with double digit blessings.  Maybe Jinger's adoration for Felicity as a little person with her own personality will slow down the baby train for the Duggalos. (And hopefully Jeremy will show some common sense as he has in some other areas - buying a house, living away from JB, being cool with pants for women, being okay with an alcoholic beverage once in a while, etc - and also slow down the baby train.) I'd also assume that not having Jana and other Duggars to drop the kids on down the street/a short car ride away will also slow the baby train down.  Plus, whenever the number of kids start costing more to feed/clothe/care for than what Jeremy needs for his clothing, hair products, shoes, etc, I'm sure the baby train will come to a hault. 

(I haven't said this eloquently, so I hope it all makes sense.)

I don't disagree with everything you said.  I do think a lot of people post things like this to convince themselves that they are super happy because that is what society expects.  However, she might honestly believe that.  I don't want to sound corny, but motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me, period.  I had a full life prior to the birth of my son, but I have become a better person and enjoyed life so much more since his birth.  Yeah, parenthood is hard, but I expected that going in.  No one should have children and not expect (many) difficulties.  I have to believe that there are other women out there like me who are being true to how they feel.

Now would Jinger feel this way if she had the opportunity to pursue an education or career prior to being a mother?  That's another story.  But I had all these opportunities given to the modern American woman and even though motherhood isn't perfect, it's the closet thing to perfection that I have found.  I'm willing to admit I may be a rare breed, but we do exist.

Edited by lucy711
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I don't disagree with everything you said.  I do think a lot of people post things like this to convince themselves that they are super happy because that is what society expects.  However, she might honestly believe that.  I don't want to sound corny, but motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me, period.  I had a full life prior to the birth of my son, but I have become a better person and enjoyed life so much more since his birth.  Yeah, parenthood is hard, but I expected that going in.  No one should have children and not expect (many) difficulties.  I have to believe that there are other women out there like me who are being true to how they feel.

Now would Jinger feel this way if she had the opportunity to pursue an education or career prior to being a mother?  That's another story.  But I had all these opportunities given to the modern American woman and even though motherhood isn't perfect, it's the closet thing to perfection that I have found.  I'm willing to admit I may be a rare breed, but we do exist.

I loved (and still love) every minute of motherhood while simultaneously hating quite a few moments. Definitely my most favorite 'job' and the hardest job. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have posted on SM my undying love for my kids, if the interwebz existed back then. I would have been more likely to post the funny moments or major mom fails.

I'm guessing Jinger loves Felicity to the moon and back as most parents do. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Ref: Jinger's post about how blessed she is to have Felicity, etc. 

I'm sure she does adore Felicity and does feel blessed to have her.  I feel beyond lucky to have my kids - I'm not religious, so I'd say lucky rather than blessed.  I mean it as I'm lucky to have my kids as my kids, because I'm so in love with (99% of) their little personalities, etc, not because I feel like it means I got lucky because I had kids and some people don't have kids. I also felt lucky in different ways when I didn't have kids yet (more extra income, more free time, more traveling, etc). It's not to mean I'm favored or anything because I have kids, I guess.  I feel lucky to have my little stinkers as my kids because I do adore them, even though they're a ton of work and require a lot of sacrifice and truthfully, make life harder in so many ways. Felicity is at that stage where she's showing personality and more than a potato....this is the stage where you really get to know your baby as a person more and more....I think that may be what Jinger is kind of trying to express (poorly, because Fundie speak).

I also always think whenever moms go on & on in social media posts about how awesome being a mom is....that it's often not their followers they're trying to convince, but themselves.  Society tells women they should love being moms.  Society tells women they should adore their babies more than anything.  Society tells women that being a mom (especially to a baby) is so awesome all of the time and such a blessing- no one complains because it's so awesome! It's really not acceptable in society to complain about parenthood until maybe your kid is a teenager. Something is wrong with you if you complain or mention that it isn't all rainbows and butterflies 24/7 when you have a small child/baby. Jinger was raised with this narrative about motherhood times a million thanks to Gothard/Fundamentalism/etc.  She has to feel that "perfect mom who loves being a mom because it's 24/7 the best thing ever!" pressure even more than the rest of us in society do.  I really feel for her and other women in Fundamentalism for that, because the pressure is immense and suffocating even for those of us in secular soceity.

So...I just keep that in mind whenever I see moms posting a lot about how much they love being moms and how "blessed" they are by their kids.  I know (as all parents do) that being a parent is f***ing tough.  These moms may not be "bragging" or trying to sell you on motherhood as much as they're trying to sell themselves the idea that they, too, are "normal" women who of course love being a mom all of the time.  

It's especially tough to be a parent if you don't have sisters and grandparents (or daughters who can sister-mom) around all of the time to pass you babies off on (and Jinger, unlike many of the other Duggar kids who have babies and live in Arkansas, doesn't have this). Most of the time she (and Jeremy) are parenting alone (yes, they don't really work and all....but this is still way more active parenting and "work" than Jinger ever saw Michelle do with her babies). My guess is Jinger has figured out like all of us first time parents that being a parent is hard as f*** and she may be talking to herself in these posts (in the "Fundie speak" language she's fluent in) as much as she's talking to others.  I don't think she means any offense necessarily to those who don't or can't have kids as much as she may just be convincng herself of how awesome her own life choices are.  How dare one complain about such a kind blessing from God and all, right?  She may, at times, need to convince herself of that, since complaining about motherhood is taboo. 

A wise therapist once told me that when people seem to be making things about you not being where they are in life, that's actually really about them and their struggle with where they are in life. I read all these "motherhood is amazing and I have no complaints because I am so blessed!" etc posts (from Jinger and from basically every mom I'm friends with on social media who does this) that way....because as a mom, I know better. I see you, moms.  I know it ain't all perfect and I know you're talking to yourselves a lot of the time. ;) 

I think Jinger is truly in love with and in awe of Felicity, like a lot of new moms are (especially first-time moms), which doesn't also negate that she is probably trying to convince herself it's the best thing ever when it's also the hardest damn thing ever.   I hope maybe she sees that if she doesn't have eleventy blessings, she can know and spend time with Felicity and any (small number) of subsequent children and get to enjoy them more than she could with double digit blessings.  Maybe Jinger's adoration for Felicity as a little person with her own personality will slow down the baby train for the Duggalos. (And hopefully Jeremy will show some common sense as he has in some other areas - buying a house, living away from JB, being cool with pants for women, being okay with an alcoholic beverage once in a while, etc - and also slow down the baby train.) I'd also assume that not having Jana and other Duggars to drop the kids on down the street/a short car ride away will also slow the baby train down.  Plus, whenever the number of kids start costing more to feed/clothe/care for than what Jeremy needs for his clothing, hair products, shoes, etc, I'm sure the baby train will come to a hault. 

(I haven't said this eloquently, so I hope it all makes sense.)

I don't have human kids, but I feel like this about my cat children sometimes.

• Love 20
14 hours ago, lucy711 said:

I also enjoy life so much more with my daughter. I especially hated my full time job as a contract management analyst and am lucky enough enough to now work part time as a yoga teacher ( for the time being, I will probably have to do something full time when kids are in school). I feel like my real life experience doing something I hated for ten years gives me so much more appreciation for things now.

In Jinger's case, she may love it and would have loved it regardless of her life experience. Or she simply went from living in a life of frumpers and chaos and 100 siblings to care for, to having one easy baby to take care of with the help of another adult.

Like me, this might be the most enjoyable her life has been since being a child herself! Of course when baby starts walking and talking and being a toddler who knows how much anyone will continue to enjoy things, haha. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm sure they're theologians!

Chuck's might be "Chuck" Spurgeon, actually. Have no guesses on Jer's, though. 

I was thinking the ‘Charles’ might be Jeremy’s dad before he went bald,the cartoon has a beard like his.  Maybe it was a gift to him.  It looks like they’re at church, maybe Jeremy has a mug belonging to another minister?  You can find those sorts of things at Cafe Press, upload a photo and get a mug with a sketch of it on it.

ETA: never mind, it is indeed Charles Spurgeon. Ugh!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3