Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I was once on an airplane seated next to a woman priest (so that narrows down the denomination) who was deeply involved in training for would-be priests. It was fascinating, actually, even to this heathen. 

She talked about how difficult it is to weed out the people who were pursuing this role for ego and power, because they talked such a good game. There was one in particular she was troubled by, because he was snowing the other church authorities in the program and she was sure he was...she paused, and heathen me said, helpfully, “a total bullshitter”? She laughed and said, “exactly.”

That’s Jeremy. He’s an Instagram Preacher.

Much like politicians!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Farmfam said:

No, but this sounds perfect! Thank you so much!

Yes, the Moms houses are for women coming out of domestic violence situations with or without children. I have no real problem giving to goodwill, community aid, etc but since a lot of our baby items were gifts or hand me downs it doesn’t sit well with me to ask for someone else to pay for it, especially someone genuinely in need. 

I have asked a few of my friends, and I’ve even intentionally chose different denominations than mine! Thank you! 

Hahahaha send it to the TTH! 😂

For real, though, it surprises me that it's so hard for you to give that away. I'd think lots of people would be dying for free baby stuff!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Farmfam said:

This made me think of something. I’ve stated before that I’m a Christian, and I’m actively involved in our church. Anyway, I’ve recently had our last child and I cannot give away our stuff...our church doesn’t know of any needy family?! Our local school district social worker has nobody in need? And the local moms homes that I’ve tried don’t want used, they want money for new items. If someone is in deseperate need of baby items where would they go? 

Are you on Facebook? When my grandson was young I was on a Facebook buy & sell list for baby and children's items. It wasn't unusual for people to post items for free.

5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe ask around about friends' churches? At least a few churches do try to act as clearinghouses for stuff. Depends on what charities they're involved in, I suppose.

Women's shelters?

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

Are you on Facebook? When my grandson was young I was on a Facebook buy & sell list for baby and children's items. It wasn't unusual for people to post items for free.

🤦🏻‍♀️Forgot about FB Marketplace! Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Catlyn said:

Women's shelters?

Tried our local ones...they would rather money. I was even hopeful they would have taken my stuff and distributed it to those they felt needed it, but nope. They don’t have the storage for it, or that’s what I was told. 

3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Hahahaha send it to the TTH! 😂

For real, though, it surprises me that it's so hard for you to give that away. I'd think lots of people would be dying for free baby stuff!

I expect the problem is that anybody who tries to be a middleman in exchanges of used stuff worries about various kinds of liability they might get hit with -- either because of some legit problem with stuff you innocently passed on or by scammers of some kind. ...

People want stuff. But you have to be strongly motivated and even kinda fearless to step up to arrange such things. And most of us aren't either of those things if the need doesn't hit really close to home, I fear.

It's probably easier to find folks who handle donations in bigger metropolitan areas than smaller ones, too. More people means more who'll be willing to do it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Farmfam said:

No, but this sounds perfect! Thank you so much!

Yes, the Moms houses are for women coming out of domestic violence situations with or without children. I have no real problem giving to goodwill, community aid, etc but since a lot of our baby items were gifts or hand me downs it doesn’t sit well with me to ask for someone else to pay for it, especially someone genuinely in need. 

I have asked a few of my friends, and I’ve even intentionally chose different denominations than mine! Thank you! 

Your local food banks may take some items as well, or know families who might be in need

Additionally, many cities have 'mom group' pages on facebook. I am part of one that has 35K members. People post "free to a mom in need " stuff all the time and get a lot of interest. It is different than market place, if you search groups search for "Laredo moms" or something like that ( for whatever city you are in)  and post there. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I expect the problem is that anybody who tries to be a middleman in exchanges of used stuff worries about various kinds of liability they might get hit with -- either because of some legit problem with stuff you innocently passed on or by scammers of some kind. ...

People want stuff. But you have to be strongly motivated and even kinda fearless to step up to arrange such things. And most of us aren't either of those things if the need doesn't hit really close to home, I fear.

It's probably easier to find folks who handle donations in bigger metropolitan areas than smaller ones, too. More people means more who'll be willing to do it. 

Also, with all the various safety recalls, most places can't take donations of car seats, cribs, strollers etc. They can't keep track of what was recalled vs what wasn't, so they can't take used stuff like that. 

And to bring it back to Jinger, I'm guessing she didn't get many hand me downs. But I do love a lot of the clothes she has.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, Farmfam said:

This made me think of something. I’ve stated before that I’m a Christian, and I’m actively involved in our church. Anyway, I’ve recently had our last child and I cannot give away our stuff...our church doesn’t know of any needy family?! Our local school district social worker has nobody in need? And the local moms homes that I’ve tried don’t want used, they want money for new items. If someone is in deseperate need of baby items where would they go? 

I second reaching out to women’s shelters if that’s not what you meant by mom’s homes. Shelters for domestic violence or women usually have a dire need for supplies on short notice.  You may want to contact a local crisis center.

Depending on where you live, people often need things after natural disasters too.  I remember buying gallons of Pedialyte after Hurricane Katrina.  

And when in doubt, sell it on LetGo or Craig’s list. I’ve been most successful selling items in a large bundle for a really cheap price just to get it out of my house. It beats throwing it out.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I mean, it’s possible, but it could also be because she is breastfeeding or just wanted decaf. 

I avoided caffeine MORE when I was breastfeeding than when I was pregnant.  I had no problem drinking coffee or soda while pregnant, but once the baby popped out, I went cold turkey. No way was I staying up all night with a cranky baby who was trying to work the caffeine out of their system!  I doubt she’s pregnant.  I don’t see Jeremy wanting a horde of kids in the next couple of years. It will really cut into his fountain pen budget. 😀

Edited by irisheyes
Darn autocorrect!
  • LOL 13
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I avoided caffeine MORE when I was breastfeeding than when I was pregnant.  I had no problem drinking coffee or soda while pregnant, but once the baby popped out, I went cold turkey. No way was I staying up all night with a cranky baby who was trying to work the caffeine out of their system!  I doubt she’s pregnant.  I don’t see Jeremy wanting a horde of kids in the next couple of years. It will really cut into his fountain pen budget. 😀

I think you're probably right, but it just occurred to me looking at the latest picture of Felicity, that they might be planning #2. I think that Jeremy was all about family planning with #1, but she appears to be an easy, happy baby, and Jeremy might be more open now to having another baby asap -- and I wouldn't be surprised if Jinger wasn't agitating for baby #2 already.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

I think you're probably right, but it just occurred to me looking at the latest picture of Felicity, that they might be planning #2. I think that Jeremy was all about family planning with #1, but she appears to be an easy, happy baby, and Jeremy might be more open now to having another baby asap -- and I wouldn't be surprised if Jinger wasn't agitating for baby #2 already.

I could see this, and I can also see them being in for a very rude awakening when baby #2 proves to be way more of a handful. . . .

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I know this is the Duggars we are talking about but waiting an entire year of marriage before being pregnant with child 1 isn’t a long time. If Jinger comes pregnant again around Felicity’s first birthday that would be “normal” in the non fundy world. Tons of siblings are 2 or so years a part. I don’t think Jeremy would think that was strange. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I can see them having 3-4 kids each about 2 years apart. Then, I think Jeremy will get snipped (without telling the in-laws).  And, they’ll use “God’s will” whenever people ask why there aren’t anymore babies. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Yup. I personally like the idea of having kids fairly close in age rather than spacing them out with five or six years between each. We had our three within five and a half years, with 22 months between the first two. I can see Jinger and Jeremy wanting Felicity to be able to grow up with a sibling close to her age. Especially given that she won't be surrounded by cousins the way the Arkansas Duggar contingent are.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yup. I personally like the idea of having kids fairly close in age rather than spacing them out with five or six years between each. We had our three within five and a half years, with 22 months between the first two. I can see Jinger and Jeremy wanting Felicity to be able to grow up with a sibling close to her age. Especially given that she won't be surrounded by cousins the way the Arkansas Duggar contingent are.

I go back and forth on this. I always wished I could space mine out, because of my own experience growing up. My sister was two years younger, and it always felt like she was nipping on my heels. People compared us constantly, and she was always prettier, more popular, a better basketball player, hung out with cooler kids, etc. I had academics and the arts, but those aren't as "cool" as sports and popularity. I always felt that if I'd had a popular sister five years younger, I would have been really proud of her, the way I'm proud that my cousin's middle school child is beautiful and popular. Now, at my (cough) advanced age, I'll have them close together if at all, but having a larger spacing was always the dream. However, i did have a completely ideal childhood where my sister was my best friend, and we did everything together. We also have a good relationship as adults. The teen years were horrible, though. My mom would remind me that not everything was a competition, and I'd say, "it doesn't feel like a competition to her, because she's winning!"

however, Jinger and Jeremy's kids sadly won't attend public school, or be allowed activities, so I guess it won't matter. The only time it'll make a difference is when they get to courting age, and Jinger will probably sympathize with the less physically attractive girl, since she was in the shadow of Hottie Jessa (although Jinger was also a beautiful girl!). Sadly, they likely won't have to worry about who is the best basketball player or who is more popular. I really hope Jeremy will at least talk Jinger into letting them attend a Christian school, though I have no clue how they'll afford that when the show is over. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

16 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I go back and forth on this. I always wished I could space mine out, because of my own experience growing up. My sister was two years younger, and it always felt like she was nipping on my heels. People compared us constantly, and she was always prettier, more popular, a better basketball player, hung out with cooler kids, etc. I had academics and the arts, but those aren't as "cool" as sports and popularity. I always felt that if I'd had a popular sister five years younger, I would have been really proud of her, the way I'm proud that my cousin's middle school child is beautiful and popular. Now, at my (cough) advanced age, I'll have them close together if at all, but having a larger spacing was always the dream. However, i did have a completely ideal childhood where my sister was my best friend, and we did everything together. We also have a good relationship as adults. The teen years were horrible, though. My mom would remind me that not everything was a competition, and I'd say, "it doesn't feel like a competition to her, because she's winning!"

however, Jinger and Jeremy's kids sadly won't attend public school, or be allowed activities, so I guess it won't matter. The only time it'll make a difference is when they get to courting age, and Jinger will probably sympathize with the less physically attractive girl, since she was in the shadow of Hottie Jessa (although Jinger was also a beautiful girl!). Sadly, they likely won't have to worry about who is the best basketball player or who is more popular. I really hope Jeremy will at least talk Jinger into letting them attend a Christian school, though I have no clue how they'll afford that when the show is over. 

Of course it’s up to each parent to decide what’s best for their family but I see both sides. 

Assuming time is on your side (as a women don’t have an endless reproductive life) and you want more than two bio children- if you have your children close together it’s harder on your body physically, and those early years are hard because small children need so much care. However once you’re done with the baby stage it’s just done. Granted having children close in age means they are more likely to compete with each other, like @Christina87 stated above. My god mother had her 3 girls over a span of 9yrs (so the eldest was 9, then 5 and then the baby) because she said she never wanted two “babies” at once.

I can see the Vulvo children growing up and attending school with peers and having extra curricular activities. They will grow up under fundamentalist Christian patriarchy but of all the grandchildren of the “first set of Duggars”(Josh through Jinger) they are likely to grow up the most mainstream. 

Jinger is still pretty young though- she’s 25? She could have three more, pretty spaced out and be done by 35. I think it just depends on if she ever needs a c-section and what she wants. I don’t think Jeremy is the type of husband to harass her about having more babies. 

• Love 4

The fact that Jeremy grew up homeschooled makes me nervous...BUT...and this is a big but...his mother had a master's degree. He has to see how woefully poor Jinger's education is, so hopefully he'll want better for his kids. I think the worst chance is if they have all girls, honestly. I could see him thinking Jinger's education would suit them in their helpmeet future. I can't imagine him wanting a son uneducated, though. I hope no matter what they do, they decide on something a step up from the SOTDRT. Even diana helping Jinger with the lesson plans would be better. Or diana and Jinger could even do it together if they moved up north one day, if diana was willing to put in that time commitment. 

• Love 3

Jeremy's a savvy guy. He knows the fandom would explode if he and Jinger sent Felicity to some ritzy, private Christian academy. The snarkers would applaud him for breaking the legacy of ignorance, and the leghumpers would praise him for ensuring his child's education is faith-based. It would be a huge p.r. win for Jeremy and a bullet dodged for little Felicity. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Jeremy did an IG live last night from their house.  The large TV mounted on the living room wall stood out.  Have we seen that when they film Counting On there? 

I can't imagine him being a former soccer player not watching that as well as some other sports. 

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, Farmfam said:

A lot of charities decline donations of baby paraphernalia due to safety concerns.  Things like car seats, cribs, and pack-n-plays have safety standards that are updated frequently and even something that is just a couple of years old might not meet the current guidelines.  Also, there are people who would donate stuff that is damaged or altered and not necessarily think twice about it.  An infant car seat that has been in a major crash should be discarded in many cases.  Since they cannot verify that donated items meet all the current safety regulations; most charities will decline to accept these things, preferring cash to buy new stuff.

As far as clothing, I don't know much about baby clothes except that my mission group frequently takes used baby clothes with us on our missions.  People in El Salvador are just like parents anywhere; they love cute stuff for their kids and there isn't much available in rural El Salvador and many of them couldn't afford it if there was.  We give the clothes to the local priest who runs sort of a rummage sale (except the clothes are free) a couple times a year with donated items from the US.  It is very popular down there.  This past trip, we had some tiny tennies donated for babies and we ended up giving them to the women who cooked our meals for us to give to their grandkids after they admired them.  They thanked us a million times for giving them cute stuff for the grandkids.  Maybe there's a church that sends stuff overseas for missions near you?

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Jeremy did an IG live last night from their house.  The large TV mounted on the living room wall stood out.  Have we seen that when they film Counting On there? 

They have said they watch Netflix (Great British Bake-off and the Crown, iirc) so I’m not surprised.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I wonder if they liked the threesome with Lord Snowdon (Antony Armstrong-Jones).

I would love to be a fly on the wall when something like that came on. Jinger's reaction would be genuinely fascinating to watch.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A lot of charities decline donations of baby paraphernalia due to safety concerns.  Things like car seats, cribs, and pack-n-plays have safety standards that are updated frequently and even something that is just a couple of years old might not meet the current guidelines.  Also, there are people who would donate stuff that is damaged or altered and not necessarily think twice about it.  An infant car seat that has been in a major crash should be discarded in many cases.  Since they cannot verify that donated items meet all the current safety regulations; most charities will decline to accept these things, preferring cash to buy new stuff.

As far as clothing, I don't know much about baby clothes except that my mission group frequently takes used baby clothes with us on our missions.  People in El Salvador are just like parents anywhere; they love cute stuff for their kids and there isn't much available in rural El Salvador and many of them couldn't afford it if there was.  We give the clothes to the local priest who runs sort of a rummage sale (except the clothes are free) a couple times a year with donated items from the US.  It is very popular down there.  This past trip, we had some tiny tennies donated for babies and we ended up giving them to the women who cooked our meals for us to give to their grandkids after they admired them.  They thanked us a million times for giving them cute stuff for the grandkids.  Maybe there's a church that sends stuff overseas for missions near you?

Thank you! I was aware that giving away “gear” wasn’t generally accepted, and I do understand. Not their job to keep up with recalls and such! I was hoping to give away only clothing and swaddles. I found one young mother through a friend that can use some of it, some was given to a local women’s shelter, and the rest to our community aid store. I was hoping churches would have been more receptive...maybe I’ll keep trying as my daughter keeps growing out of sizes! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Vaysh said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall when something like that came on. Jinger's reaction would be genuinely fascinating to watch.

I always wanted to see the Duggars watch an episode of Game of Thrones or the wedding episode from Outlander. I would love to see their reactions. It would be even funnier if they were in a room with hardcore fans.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Farmfam said:

Thank you! I was aware that giving away “gear” wasn’t generally accepted, and I do understand. Not their job to keep up with recalls and such! I was hoping to give away only clothing and swaddles. I found one young mother through a friend that can use some of it, some was given to a local women’s shelter, and the rest to our community aid store. I was hoping churches would have been more receptive...maybe I’ll keep trying as my daughter keeps growing out of sizes! 

Wait a bit, hold a rummage sale where you can sell a lot of household stuff as well as featuring the child products, and then donate the proceeds  to the charity of your choice.  Some work but all for a good cause.

There will be people who will buy nearly everything, because they churn those goods at flea markets and their own rummage sales.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I wonder if they liked the threesome with Lord Snowdon (Antony Armstrong-Jones).

6 hours ago, Vaysh said:

And seeing Matt Smith's butt.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

"Jingle, this reminds me of a time in college, before I learned drinking was wrong...."

• LOL 23

I'm not sure I buy that Jinger watches The Crown. How would she even know enough history to get into it? Maybe Jeremy stops it every ten seconds to talk, but still. I think the only indictation we have that she watches it was some Instagram conversation with a friend, like, "miss you! Wish we would eat cookies, go to the mall, and watch the crown," or something to that effect. It could be that she had a friend in town who was obsessed with it, and watched maybe a couple episodes with her and liked them, but hasn't watched it since. I've watched plenty of shows with people that I genuinely enjoyed, but never pursued beyond the first few episodes. Then again, a friend introduced me in 2007-ish to House,MD, and I bought all the prior seasons and never missed an episode of the show after that!

i just really have trouble buying that Jeremy would preach about women "not being at liberty to defraud" men by wearing immodest clothing, and then watch something like that. Maybe they skip through the nude scenes; who knows? It just seems awfully hypocritical to me if they do watch them, and make sure me actually like them less. Power to them for being less upright, but they should quit preaching their "values" and pushing their fake views on others if they abandon them in private. 

• Love 8

I know some fundies who liked and watched the first season of the crown. The second season seems to lose them pretty quickly. 😜

That being said, I'd agree she and Jeremy likely haven't watched it extensively.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm not sure I buy that Jinger watches The Crown. How would she even know enough history to get into it? Maybe Jeremy stops it every ten seconds to talk, but still. I think the only indictation we have that she watches it was some Instagram conversation with a friend, like, "miss you! Wish we would eat cookies, go to the mall, and watch the crown," or something to that effect. It could be that she had a friend in town who was obsessed with it, and watched maybe a couple episodes with her and liked them, but hasn't watched it since.

I think that's exactly what happened. The only reason we know she watched The Crown was because a friend who visited said so. I'm sure she never watched past the first few episodes. 

While looking through the list of people Jinger follows I noticed follows a few health and wellness blogs. One of them focuses on the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate) diet that focuses on being grain free and is low in sugar and lactose. This sounds like the diet Jill talked about in her recipe.

• Love 4

I'm betting that Jinger has watched all of "The Crown" and is as excited about the upcoming season as the rest of us.  I think she & Jerm watch whatever they want.  He probably loves all the ESPN, History Channel, etc. and Jing probably watches Lifetime & Hallmark movies with Lissie, plus Food Network, PBS and whatever catches their fancy.  750 miles away from any tattle-tales, they can adult all they want.  I'd say they just don't brag about to the others. 

I actually think all the Duggars watch whatever TV shows they want, excepting the littles at the TTH.   Hell, Jessa even admitted her kids watch cartoons.  I think TV's are hidden or removed for filming.  Just to keep up the illusion. 

These folks have traveled across the globe and have been in hundreds of hotels, office lobbies, green rooms and public places with TV.  They read magazines and see ads.  I think they know what's on and exactly how to watch on their various devices, regardless of what Michelle & Jim Bob raised them with.  They just don't advertise it. 

My view of course, YMMV.  

• Love 17

I agree and I think the previous claims of "we don't have tv's in our homes" were lies by omission. They all have laptops, so even if they didn't necessarily have a flatscreen, they still have access to the same shows and movies as the rest of us. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Will Jing be pregnant by Christmas? I think YES.

I hope she waits until Felicity is two or three before they have another but it’s her family not mine. 

• Love 1