Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Puffin said:

lol at this picture Jessa's face looks like shes in shock, she probably cant believe all the BS Jeremy talks. 

I think that photo was taken when Piper was speaking, not Jeremy. Piper's one of the big shots and draws big attendance. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

The PreachySociety.borg -- aka, the ShutUpAndSitDownSister Society or the InsecureMenOvercompensating Society--  is so very all-male (and it's opening in early 2019!!!) : "RESOURCES. CONSULTATION. BROTHERHOOD."

I'm tired of this family and their buddies making me feel like some kind of man hater. I'm not, at all, but I do despise these stupid sexist shitheads. (of course, I pretty much despise the women they hang with, too, so I guess I'm less a man-hater and more just an overall hater.) 

I hear ya. I luckily don't know many sexist men in real life, so it's shocking to see so many on display here!!!

• Love 13
Just now, Christina87 said:

I hear ya. I luckily don't know many sexist men in real life, so it's shocking to see so many on display here!!!

You said it. It seems so unreal to me. And  most of the sexist men I do know in real life are old. Old old old. So it's even more shocking to see all these young ones. 

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

You said it. It seems so unreal to me. And  most of the sexist men I do know in real life are old. Old old old. So it's even more shocking to see all these young ones. 

Bingo!!! And a lot of those old, sexist men mean well enough, but just are products of their time. I see an eighty-year-old-man who says, "don't worry your pretty little head about the bills!" in a different category than Jeremy, and other young men, who want to take away womens' rights! I was appalled when I heard the thing about women not being professors in seminary. That is soooo sickening!!!

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And did they have to dress up and take pictures for a podcast? 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Remember the pin?

I can’t imagine anything more dry and boring. A podcast about expository preaching. What a rousing good time!  Adding it to my playlist ASAP!  

• Love 15
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

That poor baby’s head is never bare! Her head must be sweaty all the time.

I doubt she would be sweaty, it’s not summer time, underneath the blazing sun. A knit hat seems fitting for a baby in winter (yes I know a TX winter is not a Chicago winter). 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

That was taken at a hotel banquet hall in Atlanta (or a small conference center?). In either case, Lissy didn't need a wooly knit cap for indoors.

I just hate how it's halfway down over her eyes much of the time. It makes me itch.

Screenshot_20190120-010552.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
pic
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And did they have to dress up and take pictures for a podcast? 

They def have to dress up for the big conference they are attending. 

I'm with @awaken - the very phrase "expository preaching" starts my eyes drooping and my head nodding. I recently went to the church website to hear Rev. Pretentious [Brooks Brothers] Pants preach a sermon. Could not stand it for more than a few minutes. Yawn. 

Methinks Jeremy is going down an obscure career rabbit hole with that stuff. This expository whatsit interest makes it clear that he's not aiming to be the next mega-rich televangelist or mega-church pastor. Unless it's some super-subtle method of mass hypnosis. They start droning on about the real meaning of three verses in the Book of Job and then when the audience is in a state of twilight slumber they implant clever suggestions . . .  that nobody consciously remembers by the time the "sermon" is over and it's time for the closing hymn. Hmm.

7 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

In the Duggars and Their World subforum, Jeeves called Jeremy "The Most Reverend Pretentious Pants." Brilliant!

Aw, thanks, how sweet! I'm sure there are plenty of other, better, nicknames for him as well.

EDITED to add: I didn't realize there was another page of comments before I posted my comment about expository preaching. @floridamom, now that I've seen your comment, I agree. I know a few people who have spent their lives studying the Bible and now in their 80's could have Jeremy for breakfast with this stumbling attempts at exposition without breaking a sweat. Oh, and they aren't all men. Heh. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

They def have to dress up for the big conference they are attending. 

I'm with @awaken - the very phrase "expository preaching" starts my eyes drooping and my head nodding. I recently went to the church website to hear Rev. Pretentious [Brooks Brothers] Pants preach a sermon. Could not stand it for more than a few minutes. Yawn. 

Methinks Jeremy is going down an obscure career rabbit hole with that stuff. This expository whatsit interest makes it clear that he's not aiming to be the next mega-rich televangelist or mega-church pastor. Unless it's some super-subtle method of mass hypnosis. They start droning on about the real meaning of three verses in the Book of Job and then when the audience is in a state of twilight slumber they implant clever suggestions . . .  that nobody consciously remembers by the time the "sermon" is over and it's time for the closing hymn. Hmm.

Some more vibrant people have made expository preaching into a draw, though, strangely enough.

Jer's idol John MacArthur specializes in it, of course, and his church has had weekly attendance in the high-thousands, pushing the 10,000 mark, for a long long time.

Chuck Smith of the very widespread Calvary Chapel movement also did it and passed it along to the numerous other preachers in that movement -- and they had big attendance, too. One of my relatives came to Jesus via the Calvary Chapel route and while he's anything but a reader or a listener to lectures on intellectual topics or whatever, he tended to be very charged up by those long expository sermons......

I think it's all in the delivery and the preacher's rhetorical capacity. 

I mean, there are plenty of preachers who can put a crowd to sleep with a sermon on an attention-grabbing hot topic.

The Most Reverend Pretentious Pants is just boring. His favorite thing is listening to himself drone on, I expect, and that's always soporific for the audience. And I truly don't think he plans those sermons much at all, despite the many hours he supposedly spends grinding them out....Or, more likely perhaps, he's just not smart enough. Planning out a coherent 40-minute speech requires quite a bit of brain power -- and knowledge -- seems to me.

Admittedly, I say that without ever having listened to more than six or seven minutes of one of Jer's drones, and I've only sampled three or four, so maybe he becomes very cogent in others or towards the end of the sermons. But I doubt it. If you're satisfied with your opening salvos sounding fuzzy and random, I don't think there's much hope you'll achieve clarity and coherence later on. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

Thanks for the info about the *good* expository preachers, @Churchhoney. I suppose Jeremy's aiming for the big time but he's going to have to step up his game, as you said.

I mentioned the folks I know who *really* know the Scriptures. They can hold me fascinated when they discuss those subjects because they do have the deep knowledge, including the background understanding of original texts/meanings, as well as the ability to put it all together in a relevant way. Of course, they also have lifetimes spent in service to others, so this stuff isn't just rattling around in their own skulls - they bring all that experience to what they say and how they say it. If that makes sense. 

• Love 10

I love expository preaching when it is done well, and I abhor the canned "sermon series" approach delivered by a less prepared preacher using a script. Good expository preaching is like sitting in an engaging college lecture.

Jeremy seems to be doing the reading necessary, but he needs training in rhetoric. I haven't looked at the courses in the program in which he is enrolled,  but hopefully that is covered in the curriculum. What is the benefit of training in ministry if it does not take delivery of the message into account?

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks for the info about the *good* expository preachers, @Churchhoney. I suppose Jeremy's aiming for the big time but he's going to have to step up his game, as you said.

I mentioned the folks I know who *really* know the Scriptures. They can hold me fascinated when they discuss those subjects because they do have the deep knowledge, including the background understanding of original texts/meanings, as well as the ability to put it all together in a relevant way. Of course, they also have lifetimes spent in service to others, so this stuff isn't just rattling around in their own skulls - they bring all that experience to what they say and how they say it. If that makes sense. 

Makes perfect sense!

I doubt Jer has any of the stuff you need to do well at this --not the charisma, the brains, the intellectual curiosity or the interest in doing anything with his supposed faith but yap about it. Given his overall demeanor, alongside his sermonizing, my guess is that his dream profession is telling people -- at great length -- what to do and (by implication, at least) why he's better than they are. On top of that, his delivery ain't compelling.

I'm tempted to think that means he won't get far. But if the Duggars stay on tv, churches and other religious employers may well be tempted by the borrowed fame the sons-in-law can bring, I suppose. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
18 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

I love expository preaching when it is done well, and I abhor the canned "sermon series" approach delivered by a less prepared preacher using a script. Good expository preaching is like sitting in an engaging college lecture.

Jeremy seems to be doing the reading necessary, but he needs training in rhetoric. I haven't looked at the courses in the program in which he is enrolled,  but hopefully that is covered in the curriculum. What is the benefit of training in ministry if it does not take delivery of the message into account?

They clearly do focus on delivery. I've listened to his sermons pre-seminary and now that he's started, and his delivery is much better. That said, though, it was so terrible when he started (to me,  anyway), that even with the improvement he's still quite a mediocre speaker -- both orally and rhetoric-wise. But it's clear he's been working on it -- the oral delivery part, especially -- and that they've successfully taught him some things. 

Content-wise, he seems just the same as ever to me. But that's a much harder area to improve. I wouldn't expect it to improve right off the bat. 

Becoming a strong writer and speaker takes a lot of time and effort. And in Jer's case it's pretty clear that he doesn't have much natural gift for either. If he improves a lot, then it'll show that his seminary teaches guys a lot and that he's a hard worker. He obviously has a lot of ambition so I'd expect him to make an effort. But sometimes even the very ambitious don't make enough effort. Time will tell, obviously. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

It was pretty amazing to me when I watched five minutes of a sermon a few weeks ago. I thought for sure that as articulate he seems on counting on, he would at least be able to string together a cogent thought, and that it would be somewhat charming. Instead, it was just a fumbling mess! "I think...the Bible says...that brings us back to...in the Bible...faith...according to the Scriptures...in the Bible...you know, as John said..."

I sat there the whole time thinking, "huh?" until it reminded me too much of a bad seventh grade book report and turned it off. I think it's very odd that his congregation is made up of so many who barely speak English. They must just find him attractive and go to stare at him. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That was taken at a hotel banquet hall in Atlanta (or a small conference center?). In either case, Lissy didn't need a wooly knit cap for indoors.

I was always told that babies, after those first few weeks, only need to be dressed as warmly as everyone else.  Except for maybe the first weeks, I never put hats on my babies when indoors.

I guess I just assumed Jinger is using the caps, knots and turbans as advertisement.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

It was pretty amazing to me when I watched five minutes of a sermon a few weeks ago. I thought for sure that as articulate he seems on counting on, he would at least be able to string together a cogent thought, and that it would be somewhat charming. Instead, it was just a fumbling mess! "I think...the Bible says...that brings us back to...in the Bible...faith...according to the Scriptures...in the Bible...you know, as John said..."

I sat there the whole time thinking, "huh?" until it reminded me too much of a bad seventh grade book report and turned it off. I think it's very odd that his congregation is made up of so many who barely speak English. They must just find him attractive and go to stare at him. 

I hope this question does not come across as rude because I do not mean it to be, but how do we know his congregation is made up of people who barely speak English? This has been said before and I am not sure where that information came from.

• Love 10

The guest speaker at his church today was Hispanic. Perfect English, but the accent was there. 

I think I caught the end of it, but he went on about the temptation of David. At least this guy put the blame on David, saying that if he had just hung out with his generals, he never would have seen Bathsheba AND SINNED. I bet Jeremy would have presented the story differently.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Chuck Smith of the very widespread Calvary Chapel movement also did it and passed it along to the numerous other preachers in that movement -- and they had big attendance, too. One of my relatives came to Jesus via the Calvary Chapel route and while he's anything but a reader or a listener to lectures on intellectual topics or whatever, he tended to be very charged up by those long expository sermons......

i became a christian at that church and learned with chuck smith as head pastor. i got baptized  in the pacific ocean! one of his jr pastors was greg laurie of harvest christian church and  the annual harvest crusade. when i knew him, he was 20 and had long hair.  i cannot see jeremy going this route - he is too formal where they are in casual attire at calvary and its offshoots.

• Love 7

That hat in particular looks uncomfortable for indoor wear.

I think Jeremy's idea is that he will impress his audience with how smart and intellectual he is. That will be so awed by his learnedness and intellect that they will never question him or be able to win an argument. "Oh you think differently about this than I do, well I studied this and that and I've read this and you should read this heavy theological text before you argue with me." It seems sort-of a Jesuit strategy to me. 

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i became a christian at that church and learned with chuck smith as head pastor. i got baptized  in the pacific ocean! one of his jr pastors was greg laurie of harvest christian church and  the annual harvest crusade. when i knew him, he was 20 and had long hair.  i cannot see jeremy going this route - he is too formal where they are in casual attire at calvary and its offshoots.

Yep, he'd definitely go for the Brooks-Brothers version of expository preaching!  ..... These days, though, he's going to have to look harder if he wants to have a congregation that wears suits to church, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, Temperance said:

That hat in particular looks uncomfortable for indoor wear.

I think Jeremy's idea is that he will impress his audience with how smart and intellectual he is. That will be so awed by his learnedness and intellect that they will never question him or be able to win an argument. "Oh you think differently about this than I do, well I studied this and that and I've read this and you should read this heavy theological text before you argue with me." It seems sort-of a Jesuit strategy to me. 

Well, partly. He's definitely got the "Yes, I'm a big intellectual" part down!

Difference is that many Jesuits (the ones I know,  anyway....) actually know what they're talking about and try really hard to teach you to analyze things to the same degree they do. Jesuits even have a long history of encouraging people they convert to retain some of their old cultural ideas and incorporate them into their new Catholicism!....

So besides looking like an intellectual and reading books, something tells me Jer'll skip most of the Jesuit program. Analyzing? Listening to what others bring to the table? Pushing others to come up to my intellectual level? ...Naa. Naa and Naa, I would bet!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15

I am slightly out of the loop with this set of Duggars, but is there something wrong with the baby's head and they have to always have her in caps??  

Jeremy is definitely doing the "fake it til you make it" thing in terms of preaching.   I'm sure as soon as the TeeVee money dries up, he'll be off on some other venture.

• Love 7