Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Well it seems as if Lauren is back from her birthday vacation but I see no "wonderful to be back home with this guy #BenHiggins4evah!" instagram posts to quash all the breakup rumours, just a cryptic "We ain't perfect but we're trying" comment along with an old pic of the two of them posted three days ago. 

Hmmmmm .....

• Love 1
On 2/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, slowpoked said:

Ugh, I'm still bitter about that Caila last-minute switch. I was looking forward to a half-Filipina Bachelorette (I am Filipina), and Caila was my girl during Ben's season, and it was looking good until they switched at the ATR show. Did it have to do with Caila being a minority? Not sure, since Jojo is half Persian (someone feel free to correct me)? But I think with those two, it wasn't an issue of diversity, but more of a shock value to the audience as if "Heck yeah, we can really do this! You think we wouldn't do it, pick the runner-up for the next season, but we just did! Jojo for the win!"

The general audience didn't know or care about the supposed "F2 curse." The switch had everything to do with JoJo being more popular/liked than Caila.

On 2/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, thehepburn said:

Did I say that you say Jojo was more popular than Kaitlyn?

I'll say it. JoJo has 2.1M Instagram followers to Kaitlyn's 1.5M, even with Kaitlyn's one-year head start.

Heard a re-broadcast of Howard Stern on Sirius from earlier in the week while driving today.   Apparently, Nick has a software business with two other guys, which is how he manages all the time away.  The franchise does pay leads 'something' for their year-long commitment to appearances, but not enough to live on.

The rest was pap.  Howard has been watching for years.

How has the ratings been on the "Corrine show?" May be they needed some media and a boost to bring attention to next weeks episode? 

Especially since they announced this while Rachel was still on the show and didn't even leave this week.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Artsda said:

How has the ratings been on the "Corrine show?" May be they needed some media and a boost to bring attention to next weeks episode? 

My 1st thought was that the ratings must have tanked.  Of course this is looking at it simplistically, but according to this article, they're better than last year: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/entertainment/bachelorette-rachel-lindsay/ 

The most recent season of "The Bachelor" frequently ranks as Monday's No. 1 TV series among adults 18-49 and adults 18-34.

The current season is also up 4% in total viewers compared to last season, with 8.6 million viewers.

Unless of course week to week the ratings are dropping.  I don't watch live TV, so I don't know what their Monday night competition is.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

My 1st thought was that the ratings must have tanked.  Of course this is looking at it simplistically, but according to this article, they're better than last year: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/entertainment/bachelorette-rachel-lindsay/ 

Unless of course week to week the ratings are dropping.  I don't watch live TV, so I don't know what their Monday night competition is.

This season of the Bachelor have been beating their Monday night competition http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/monday-final-ratings-feb-6-2017/ and has been better in terms of demos compare to Ben's 

I think the Bachelor rating are always higher than the Bachelorette

8 hours ago, hyacinth said:

Just watched Rachel being announced as the new Bachelorette.   Why the early reveal?    Jimmy Kimmell seemed as puzzled as I was.   

WTH, I just read about this as well. I have her penned for my F2 so if they're officially revealing her, and she does in fact make it to the F2, then it really eliminates any suspense from the final - unless they stick to the current theme with Nick being more torn about his insecurities of being dumped, etc. What I don't understand is that the show must have had some inkling that she was a contender for The Bachelorette so why not begin raising her profile on the show by showcasing her more? They gave so much time to Corinne but we all know that there's no way Corinne would be chosen for the Bachelorette. I think this early reveal is to raise her profile - and an early reveal may also get people to tune in to see how her exit from the show pans out. Perhaps there are some good moments and an emotional goodbye that they want people to see because again, at this point, they've done a poor job of showing any of the women on the show outside of Corinne. I hope this early reveal means that we'll at least see more of Rachel (and possibly the other women not named Corinne) and get a better feel of the actual relationships that have been developing.

• Love 1

I just remember that we've had announcements and speculations about previous candidates only to have the dashed by the time we get to week 1.  I don't know if Fleiss is trying to revive some interest or whether he is FINALLY responding to the years-long cry of a lack of diversity or if she (Rachel) is just in the right place at the right time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Fleiss is nothing if he's not publicity-hungry.  If he gets enough signals that this isn't going to work for him, he'll pull the plug on it before we can turn around.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, b2H said:

I just remember that we've had announcements and speculations about previous candidates only to have the dashed by the time we get to week 1.  I don't know if Fleiss is trying to revive some interest or whether he is FINALLY responding to the years-long cry of a lack of diversity or if she (Rachel) is just in the right place at the right time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Fleiss is nothing if he's not publicity-hungry.  If he gets enough signals that this isn't going to work for him, he'll pull the plug on it before we can turn around.

Speculations yes but have they really had announced leads and then did a switch? Because I don't see them pulling the plug on Rachel after all the fanfare and lead up to her being announced. I mean have they ever announced a lead on Jimmy Kimmel like that before? Seems like it would be hard to peddle back from that. Besides Rachel is locked down in my opinion. She's extremely popular on media and with viewers and imagine the uproar if they did change their minds later. I think the backlash would be tremendous with the anticipation for years for a minority lead and then it being snatched away. I don't see it happening and I think Rachel is a excellent choice. Not because she's a minority. Her qualifications stand alone regardless of her race. She's accomplished but down to earth and warm at the same time.

But since this is a first in terms of the way she was announced I'm just not sure how we're supposed to discuss it on here. Does it go under the weekly episode column, the media, or the speculations and spoilers column?? It seems to be the big topic which could override the general discussion on this weeks episode but not sure we should post there since it didn't happen on the actual episode. I hate jumping back and forth between columns though but with the way the show has been changing so much in the last few years I guess it's something we have to get used too.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Speculations yes but have they really had announced leads and then did a switch?

They were going to use Caila (her intro was already filmed from what I remember) and switched it to JoJo.  JoJo's one guy (Chase, Luke, whatever, they're interchangeable to me haha) already had his bags packed ready to leave and they switched it to Nick.  But in both cases, neither Caila nor Chuke had been announced.  So no, I don't believe they ever switched after making an announcement.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, hyacinth said:

Just watched Rachel being announced as the new Bachelorette.   Why the early reveal?    Jimmy Kimmell seemed as puzzled as I was.   

Maybe they're afraid if she doesn't commit now & has more time to think about it she'll run away screaming & never look back :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

They were going to use Caila (her intro was already filmed from what I remember) and switched it to JoJo.  JoJo's one guy (Chase, Luke, whatever, they're interchangeable to me haha) already had his bags packed ready to leave and they switched it to Nick.  But in both cases, neither Caila nor Chuke had been announced.  So no, I don't believe they ever switched after making an announcement.

Yeah I remember the way they pulled the last minute switch with Calia and Luke but I didn't think they had ever already announced a lead and then switched.

3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Maybe they're afraid if she doesn't commit now & has more time to think about it she'll run away screaming & never look back :)

Funny. I think she'll make a great b'ette and I'm cautiously optimistic that she'll be able to rise above some of the pitfalls of this show. And I really believe they did it to specifically get more casting time for her bachelors. Not that some guys would be racist but some would just genuinely not be attracted to a woman of color and why waste the her time, theirs and the shows if they are not open to that going in. Not to mention they might have a shallow pool of reserve black bachelors since they don't normally have as many of them on the show and therefore they may not have as many applicants and would want a good mix of choices.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 10:25 AM, ByTor said:

Correct. Caila was never the Bachelorette and Chuke (hehe, nice) was never the Bachelor. No one is until they've been publicly and formally introduced/announced. They've announced Rachel. They're not going to replace her.

• Love 8

It appears Rachel is Judge Lindsay's only child. This is a write up on her law firm's site. http://www.dayl.com/onetowatch/rachel-lindsay/

ETA: this can't be right.  It must be that Rachel is just the only child listed on his Wikipedia page.  It doesn't say anything about his wife either.  But somewhere Rachel refers to a younger sister.  She may be married with a child. The sister, that is; not Rachel

Edited by Stinamaia

Her picture on the firm's site is really pretty!

Interesting that she formerly worked in Wisconsin.  Was that ever brought up on the show?  I'd think it would have being that that's where Nick is from.

Edited by ByTor
On 2/19/2017 at 1:04 AM, Stinamaia said:

ETA: this can't be right.  It must be that Rachel is just the only child listed on his Wikipedia page.  It doesn't say anything about his wife either.  But somewhere Rachel refers to a younger sister.  She may be married with a child. The sister, that is; not Rachel

I think there were two sisters introduced.

8 minutes ago, Lemons said:

If Rachel is listed as the Judge's only child, I would assume her sisters have a different father. 

Just rewatched. She introduced her younger sister *and* her older sister. Three dads? And ending up married to the middle dad? Somehow I doubt it, especially for this religious family. Wikipedia pages are not typically written by the subject of them (unless he/she is a narcissist). I happened to look at the page for the brother of a guy I dated in college (the brother is famous, the guy I dated not-so) and it mentions some of his relations, but not all.

23 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Just rewatched. She introduced her younger sister *and* her older sister. Three dads? And ending up married to the middle dad? Somehow I doubt it, especially for this religious family. Wikipedia pages are not typically written by the subject of them (unless he/she is a narcissist). I happened to look at the page for the brother of a guy I dated in college (the brother is famous, the guy I dated not-so) and it mentions some of his relations, but not all.

I just looked at it.  It looks like someone just stuck in that part about his daughter being on the Bachelor. Probably some fan or something.  The page doesn't even mention his wife.  You're right, he probably does have the three daughters.

• Love 1

She said on one of their dates that her parents have been married for over 30 years. So unless her mom was off getting pregnant to other dudes on the side, that Wikipedia page is incorrect.

On 2/21/2017 at 1:28 PM, chocolatine said:

Josh keeps crapping on Nick, saying he and Andi should have ended up together, and that he feels "pessimistic" for the outcome of Nick's season. Stay classy, Josh!

He is such a jerk. Supposedly, he and Amanda went to dinner and were seen making out over the weekend as well. I can't believe she'd let him back into her children's lives but fame is apparently a strong motivator. It makes me sad.

• Love 4

Hi! I'm a big Nick fan. I never watched the Bachelor until recently & I really Nick. I think he is a very cute and funny guy, but I don't understand all the hate he receives on twitter, facebook, instagram..etc I like him, and nice to talk to other fans.

• Love 3

So I'm pretty new to this franchise (only since Ben). Does it ever happen that the ring is given, and accepted, and then by the time of ATFR (which I gather is live? in Real Time that is?) that the couple is already kaput (and admits it)? Or do they always put on a lovey dovey show for a few months at least?

Edited by dleighg
55 minutes ago, dleighg said:

So I'm pretty new to this franchise (only since Ben). Does it ever happen that the ring is given, and accepted, and then by the time of ATFR (which I gather is live? in Real Time that is?) that the couple is already kaput (and admits it)? Or do they always put on a lovey dovey show for a few months at least?

I haven't seen every season and I don't have a great memory of the ones I did see lol, but I do remember Jason Mesnick proposed to Melissa Rycroft and then dumped her on the ATFR show for the runner-up. It was awful and hilarious.

The Bachelor's Next Episode Is Getting Split In Two 

Basically, this coming week's ep will be 1 hour and then the week after that they're showing the hour long conclusion of that ep followed by the WTA 2 hour ep.

7 hours ago, dleighg said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha. 

Yes.  To Both questions.  

Many couples have broken up as the show aired.  Brad & Emily were apparently kaput, but come on to the ATFR saying they were working on things.  Ben Flajnik and Courtney R had broken up and gotten nominally back together (at least for the sake of twitter fame) for the ATFR.  I think Juan Pablo and Nikki were faking happiness too.  Some couples are truly happy at the ATFR, but many are not, and the web rumors and body language often give the truth away.  Jason Mesnick is the most famous example, but he 'switched women' allegedly because Molly was about to be the Bachelorette (or he was told she would be to create drama and hurry the storyline along for exciting ratings). 

On much older seasons, such as the one with Jesse Palmer where the final woman received a plane ticket, I think they were broken up almost immediately.  That was pretty common in the early days, I think, especially if there was no engagement, or "engagement".  I think that's partly why Trista's season with Ryan was such a runaway ratings success - they did actually stand a chance and that was unusual in the early days!

• Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 11:28 PM, fib said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha. 

Yes.  To Both questions.  

Many couples have broken up as the show aired.  Brad & Emily were apparently kaput, but come on to the ATFR saying they were working on things.  Ben Flajnik and Courtney R had broken up and gotten nominally back together (at least for the sake of twitter fame) for the ATFR.  I think Juan Pablo and Nikki were faking happiness too.  Some couples are truly happy at the ATFR, but many are not, and the web rumors and body language often give the truth away.  Jason Mesnick is the most famous example, but he 'switched women' allegedly because Molly was about to be the Bachelorette (or he was told she would be to create drama and hurry the storyline along for exciting ratings). 

On much older seasons, such as the one with Jesse Palmer where the final woman received a plane ticket, I think they were broken up almost immediately.  That was pretty common in the early days, I think, especially if there was no engagement, or "engagement".  I think that's partly why Trista's season with Ryan was such a runaway ratings success - they did actually stand a chance and that was unusual in the early days!

you guys must have missed the aaron and helene show which she sobbed through the whole thing. All aarn kept saying was " i feel bad shes such a pretty girl". oy

• Love 1

Just wanted to mention the Bachelor article in the new Life and Style magazine (and not the Bachelorette article saying JoJo and Jordan are on the rocks).  Unless I'm being forgetful, I don't think there was a rose ceremony on the last Bachelor episode, and I know that the show already spoiled who the Bachelorette will be, but the article:

1) states who the final 2 are by name

2) states some things about the runner up (without mentioning a name) that makes is pretty clear who the runner up is.

6 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

you guys must have missed the aaron and helene show which she sobbed through the whole thing. All aarn kept saying was " i feel bad shes such a pretty girl". oy

Yup.  I flitted in and out of the show in the early days.  That sounds sooooo awful.  Poor Helene!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

much older seasons, such as the one with Jesse Palmer where the final woman received a plane ticket, I think they were broken up almost immediately.  That was pretty common in the early days, I think, especially if there was no engagement, or "engagement".  I think that's partly why Trista's season with Ryan was such

Back then, the couples truly were separated much more than today, (lol where we get a pic of Klassy Kaitlyn in bed with her guy). But the Jesse Palmer thing--best line ever--the girl he turned down "Well then I think what happened last nite was inappropriate". Some of the goodbyes were really ugly--Blob and the first runner up (Jo?) it was obvious she was crushed. I still remember Chelsea on Grants season, he really led her on. (pulling her back in his room , etc) And on Deannas season, that lawyer Jeremy who was so heartbroken. Now I feel sad,

• Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 11:28 PM, fib said:

Some couples are truly happy at the ATFR, but many are not, and the web rumors and body language often give the truth away.  Jason Mesnick is the most famous example, but he 'switched women' allegedly because Molly was about to be the Bachelorette (or he was told she would be to create drama and hurry the storyline along for exciting ratings).

Really?  Interesting...I never heard that.  I guess thatwould explain why he did what he did when he did it.

7 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I didn't see that.  Yikes!

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Regarding the swimming pigs, wasn't Ben in Jamaica? The dead pigs are in the Bahamas, but it's sad for the pigs no matter where they are.

The final rose ceremony and fantasy dates were in Jamaica. The pig date happened in the Bahamas before they went to Indiana and before hometowns.

• Love 1

Is this guy physically capable of staying off TV for longer than 6 months? The biggest tool/d-bag/famewhore to ever go on this show, which is an achievement considering how many tools/d-bags/famewhores there's been. Great job Nick!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

People is saying that Nick is confirmed for the upcoming season of DWTS. It's not the official announcement from ABC, but People doesn't usually post stuff they haven't verified, so I guess it's true.

Raise your hand if you are totally shocked by this announcement!

At least Nick has some sense of rhythm, so it shouldn't be too painful. It will be highly entertaining if he falls in love with his dance partner. 

• Love 4